Chapter 16

The Tokens Rule

[A/N] WAIT WAIT WAIT !! This is a double update so don't read this one before you read Chapter 15 ! ;)

 

 

The bus ride home came to an end and without really knowing when or how he arrived here Chanyeol was already mechanically opening the front door of his apartment and entering it. He found Sehun alone in the middle of cleaning up the post-party mess. The younger stopped what he was doing and looked at him, not bothering asking how everything went because it was written on Chanyeol’s face. Wrong, everything went horribly wrong.

Yeol…” Sehun said worringly.

Chanyeol walked and sat on the couch loudly. He put his head in his hands and let out something which sounded like a sob.

Sehun prayed in hope that Chanyeol was not crying because this was not something he was prepared for or could handle. He sat next to his older friend and simply rubbed his back.

Do you want something? A drink? Some snacks?” Sehun asked feeling a little bit awkward.

Chanyeol shook his head.

I just want to understand.” The taller whispered.

Huh..

And Chanyeol spoke out, he told his roommate everything that happened from the moment he walked into the bookstore this afternoon.

 

Sehun felt lost as well. Since he had disappeared from the party pretty early and came back in the appartment really late he had missed all of the actions.

He felt so sorry because he was the one who decided to throw the party and he did not  even attend it fully so now he could not even help his friend. If he had stayed he would have seen Baekhyun and if something weird had come up he would have been able to handle the situation.

 

I’m so sorry Yeol, if I hadn’t organized this party in the first place nothing like this would have happened.

It’s not your fault Sehunnie. You just wanted to cheer me up. Plus we don’t even know what happened. I swear to God I just went to sleep alone. I really don’t understand what happened with Baekhyun.

Me neither, the only person I saw in bed with you was Junmyeon.

He told us how he ended up in my room but never mentionned someone else. I hardly think he knows something. But he’s my last chance maybe he forgot he saw something weird.

 

Chanyeol took out his phone out and immediately dialed Junmyeon’s number. Please pick up, please pick up, please pick up. But his friend did not fulfill his prayers. Of course he would not, he was so busy with work and it was just the end of the afternoon. Chanyeol let a message in the voicemail asking to be called back as soon as possible. But who knew when Junmyeon was going to actually do it? With his future CEO way of life it was hard to catch him since he was always working or travelling.

All his stress and emotions crashing down on him at the same time Chanyeol suddenly felt extremely tired. He got up and walked to lock himself up in his room. The same room where strange activities had taken place without him knowing apparently.

 

 

Baekhyun went back home emotionally drained.

He had bottled up everything since last night and it had taken all of his energy.

Chanyeol sleeping on this girl, Chanyeol coming to the store, Chanyeol holding him and telling him how much he missed him, Chanyeol looking hurt when he called him a liar, Chanyeol looking really confused and trying to explain himself.

What a good liar you are Park Chanyeol. I saw you with that girl and you put on this lost and sad puppy face when I made you confront the truth.

If only he had had the guts to tell him why he ended with the girl and who she was, they could have talked it out. But lying about something like this was a major turn-off. Heck, the girl was probably the one who had told Chanyeol that Baekhyun had burst into the room, how humiliating…

The manager curled up on his couch and grabbed his phone to call his best friend.

 

Yixing and Baekhyun talked for 1-hour long and at some point the latter almost cried. But the always cheering-up words of his Chinese friend succeed at their job and even though Baekhyun felt really sad he was able to smile a little and even let out a little chuckle at the end of their discussion.

 

Ok so next time I’m coming back to South Korea I’m definitely kicking his . And Jongdae’s too for making believe him we could trust him.

You know what? Don’t even bother. I think he regrets it enough himself. You should have seen his face. I still don’t understand how coud he fake such a surprised and hurt expression. I won’t lie, at some point I thought for a second that he really didn’t know what I was talking about.

Players know their way don’t worry. But Baekie, promise me you’ll be okay! Promise me you won’t let this affect you for too long. You don’t deserve any of this crap and he’s an idiot for trying to lie to you.

I’ll do my best Yix. Thank you as always.

You’re welcome as always.”

They said their goodbyes and Baekhyun hung up feeling a little better.

 

He saw on his phone’screen that he had received 2 texts during his call. He hesitated before opening them because he assumed who they might come from.

He breathed slowly and touched the screen with apprehension.

 

From: Chan
09:22PM
Baekhyun, the more I think about it, the less I understand the situation.

But I will make sure to make everything clear.

I can’t let you go for no reason like this.

Please believe me 3


 

From: Chan
10:08PM
I’ve been listening to this song for hours now and I think it describes perfectly how I’m feeling.

Listen to it at least once please.

[Link]A/N: please click on the link to listen to the song, at least the beginning ^^


 

Baekhyun wavered before clinking on the song’s link. But somehow, Chanyeol’s texts had succeed to touch him. He plugged his earphones and pressed the screen.

 

A beautiful slow melody started with some piano. And then the singing and rapping parts started and Baekhyun listened carefully.

 

I empty my drink but it gets filled with loneliness

I should’ve just given in, why did I argue all the time?

Even the trash bag thrown away on the street

Makes a lonely sound in the wind

All I did was color you in my white, blank paper

But then I realized, it already became a finished picture

You and I are like cell phones

When we’re apart, you know we’ll be broken

Only your scent completes me

Hurry and hug me”

 

“Hold me tight, hug me

Can you trust me, can you trust me

can you trust me

Pull me in tight

Hold me tight, hug me

Can you trust me, can you trust me

Please, please, please pull me in and hug me”

 

“Without you, I can’t breathe

I’m nothing without you

Open my closed heart, drench my heart

So I can feel you, hold me”

 

The song was beautiful and the lyrics hit Baekhyun in the right places.

Was it really how Chanyeol was feeling about him?

Then why did you lie? Baekhyun said to no one in particular. You want me to trust you but you looked into my eyes and lied openly to me.

Of course he did not answer to the texts.

 

After a long shower he went into his bedroom. He sat on his bed facing his desk with the glass jar full of papers and various colored little objects placed in the center. The jar he had been filling up himself with all those things. The jar he had been looking at so much those last 3 weeks.

I won’t be able to sleep with this in the same room as me he said. He took the container and brought it to the living-room but just when he was about to put it on the dining table he tripped on the carpet. The jar fell off his hand and made an horrible sound when it hit the ground, all the things it was containing pouring on the floor mixed with the shattered glass.

 

Baekhyun sighed, this is not what he wanted. Weirdly, he thought he could relate to the broken jar. He kneeled down making sure to not cut himself and started picking up the papers. He tried to convince himself to not open the little notes but that was way too tempting. He opened one of them randomly and read it. He repeated the action once again, and again, and again. 20 minutes later he was sitting completely on the floor, surround by tens of unfolded little notes. He was smiling but this was not smile of happiness, it was something close to nostalgia with a tint of regret.

He finally decided it was time to sleep so he just let everything lying on the floor and went to bed.


 

Chanyeol woke up with no intention of getting out of bed. He lied down until the middle of the afternoon moving only to check his smartphone from times to times. No sign from Junmyeon nor Baekhyun.

When he finally gathered up enough motivation to get up, he chose to start with a shower. He went into his closet to pick up clothes. Searching for an confortable outfit, he dropped a t-shirt on the floor. He reached to pick it up and noticed which one it was: the “Too Hot To Be Touched” t-shirt that Baekhyun had lent him the day after the nightclub party. Oh, how bad he wanted to go back to those days and try to stop the mess that ensued.

He hold the item of clothing and wondered if he should give it back to its owner. Since anything that could give him a reason to interact with Baekhyun was welcomed he decided that yes he would try give it back.

After his shower, he got dressed and left the apartement. Sehun was not here since he had classes to attend. Chanyeol had not checked his schedule and could not care less. He would go back to his classes on Monday, this week had been way too ty already.

 

He was walking with no real purpose. He thought that going back to the bookstore to give the t-shirt back would only upset and embarrass Baekhyun, it was his workplace after all. It would be clever to try to catch him at home. Thus he had a few free hours in front of him so he decided to hang out in a park after buying some streetfood. He was sipping on a bubble tea and playing  Angry Birds when a baseball came out of nowhere and hit his hands and the phone. The device dropped on the ground with a loud sound followed by a crack.

Before he could even understand what had just happened he heard a “I’m sorryyyyyyyy” coming from his left. A kid was running towards him with his father on his steps.

 

I’m sorry sir, I didn’t manage to hit the ball correctly I hope I didn’t hurt you.

Jaehan I told you to be careful!” The father said angrily. “See, this is why your mother won’t let you play baseball at all. See what you’ve done! You’ll be grounded!

Oh no, I’m okay sir. No need to punish him!” Chanyeol said quickly. Then he looked at the ground where is now broken phone was lying turned off. He picked it up and tried to see if he could fix it quickly or at least turn it on.

Oh my God, this is your phone? I deeply apologize in the name of my son.” The middle-aged man said apologetically, throwing a dark glance at the child.

After a few discussion, Chanyeol, the father and his son ended up in a near-by smartphone repair store. Hopefully, the phone was fixable, and the father had insisted to pay for everything. Unfortunately, Chanyeol would have to stay without a phone until the day after.

He thanked the father who let him his card just in case and asked him once again to not ground his son because it was obviously an accident.

They finally parted away and Chanyeol now phoneless decided to go for some window-shopping before heading to Baekhyun’s appartment.


 

Sehun was not paying any attention to his lecture, and when it came to an end he did not even realize until his classmates asked him if he had planned to sleep there.

He got up and felt his phone vibrate in his pocket. He took it out and was very surprised to see the name of the screen.

Junmyeon?!” He asked with an incredulous tone.

Hey Sehun! How are you? Sorry for bothering you but are you with Chanyeol by any chance? He asked me to call him back yesterday but I was busy as usual. I’ve just tried to call him several times but I automatically end up on the voicemail. He seemed to be pretty worried so…

Yeah! Ah, it’s a long story actually but when you entered his room after the party did you see someone? I’m sorry if the question is weird but-

You’re talking about Hanna?

Hanna?!

Yeah. We bumped into each other when I opened the door. She was leaving the room and told me to be careful to not wake Chanyeol up. I didn’t know they were back together or maybe it was a one-time thing again I guess.” The man chuckled.

But Sehun was not smiling. This was probably the explaination to Baekhyun’s brown-haired girl nonsense.

Why didn’t you tell Chanyeol about that?” Sehun complained.

Honestly I didn’t think about it the next morning. And no offense to Yeol but seeing a girl leaving his room during a party is not something really astonishing. Even less when it’s Hanna.

Sehun sighed. Oh boy, what a mess.

Can’t really blame you on this one... But did you see something special between them too?

Hmm no? I mean I didn’t really walk on them doing something. Chanyeol was sleeping and she was about to leave the room so she was fully dressed. I don’t know what happened before though. Why?

Chanyeol got himself in a weird situation because he didn’t know that Hanna has been in his bed with him.

What?!

Ugh, too long to explain. We’ll give you details later. I’m sorry Junmyeon I have a few phone calls to make. Thank you for calling, I think you might have saved Chanyeol’s lovelife and mind.

I don’t get about what you’re saying.

Chanyeol will tell you. See ya!

 

Sehun hung up and started dialing another number right after.



 

Excuse me could we see Baekhyun, I think he is your manager?

The female employee turned around to see a young couple.

Oh, I guess you mean Mister Byun? May I ask you why do you want to see him? Maybe I can help you.

I’m sorry but I don’t think you’ll be any help for this case. We really need to see Bae-Mister Byun, whatever. It’s an urgent and personnal matter.

Huh well, okay, I’ll try to see if he’s free at the moment. Would you mind waiting here please?” The girl said and walked towards a corridor. What’s the deal with Mister Byun and tall handsome men lately she thought. Damn, I forgot to ask for the people’s names once again.

 

She knocked at her manager’s door even though it was open.

Excuse me Mister Byun but there is a man asking to see you, he was in a hurry, I don’t have his name. He said it’s an urgent and personnal matter.

Baekhyun froze, did Chanyeol have the nerves to come back here again. He was about to tell he was too busy to meet a random customer right now but her employee seeing him hesitating added “He is tall, dark-haired and accompanied with a lady. They look young, your age maybe or a little younger.I think it’s the first time I’m seeing them.” She voluntarily said the last sentence to let him know it was not the guy from last time. Baekhyun understood  the hidden message so he asked her to lead them to his office.

 

Less than one minute later Sehun entered Baekhyun’s office with a beautiful girl behind him.

Baekhyun!

Whoa Sehun! Surprised to see you here! How are you, it’s been a while!

Baekhyun got up and hugged the taller boy. He then shifted to greet the girl but stopped when he finally recognized her.

Hello.” She said awkwardly.

Hello.” Baekhyun answered on the same tone.

Sehun rolled his eyes.

Okay okay, guys. Let’s not waste more time and let’s cut the crap. Baekhyun this is Hanna, Hanna this is Baekhyun. You already met in a strange situation so let’s clear up everything so we can go back to our lives and forget about it.

Baekhyun wanted to disappear. It was the last time he was accepting to see “customers” without knowing their identities first.

 

Sehun was growing impatient. “Hanna, just spit it out, Baekhyun got work to do.

Hmm, well, what you saw at the party last time was not really what it seemed. Chanyeol had no idea I was here because he was already sleeping, well more like passed out drunk, when I went into his room. I was the one who moved his body so he would sleep on me and stuff. Well this is embarassing to say so no need to go into details but you see what I meant right? I don’t know why I did that. It’s just that he seemed so sad so I thought I would comfort him. I didn’t know he was involved in a relationship with someone, he told me he was not dating anyone. I’m not this kind of person. And for my defense you didn’t say anything when you walked on us in the room. You were staring at us weirdly so I thought you were drunk and trying to take a peep on us. I fell asleep and when I opened my eyes you were standing in front of us with a strange expression on your face. Anyway, long story short, nothing happened between me and Chanyeol and he didn’t know I stayed with him for a while since he was asleep all along and no one actually saw us.

 

Baekhyun did not know what to answer. His mind went blank. Could it be true? That was one hell of stupid soap-opera situation that they were into if so.

 

Sehun snapped his fingers.

 

Earth to Baekhyun?” He said.

Huh, yeah. That..well...I don’t know what to tell you.” Baekhyun let out. His mind was trying to put all the pieces of the puzzle together.

Thank you maybe? Because it was not easy to drag this young lady over here to admit her weird act. Who does that with someone dead asleep? It’s like cuddling with a corpse.” Sehun said with a judgemental tone and expression that only him could master.

Hey!”The girl slapped Sehun on his arm.

Calm down young lady, you owed me a big one. So it’s just fair you came here to do this. Anyway, Baekhyun, now that you know that Chanyeol is not a liar or doesn’t have amnesia you should contact him. I was getting tired of his moody attitude. Plus he tends to cook less when he is sad and I’m tired of eating pizza.

Oh....yeah...thank you. You two.” The shorter man said with a shy but grateful smile to the girl.

You know you’re the first person who succeeds to steal Yeolie’s heart like this? You will make a lot of people jealous, including me. Please take good care of him and don’t worry about nothing. He is a nice boyfriend, I’m sure you won’t regret it!” She winked at Baekhyun seductively and Sehun grabbed her arm so they could leave. Then he suddenly remembered something.

Ah Baekhyun, apparently Chanyeol’s phone is switched off or something so I don’t know if you’ll be able to reach him immediatly but keep trying. And I don’t know either where he is at the moment so I can’t help you more sorry! But I’m sure I’ll see you soon right ?” He said with a devilish smile.

And after that he really left talking loudly with Hanna.

 

Okay, okay, okay Baekhyun thought. That was quite a huge update he had here. He did not know how he was feeling. Happy? Relieved? Yeah maybe. But it was all so sudden. It felt unreal.

He reached for his phone and tried to call Chanyeol. With no surprise he was automatically redirected on the voicemail. He didn’t bother leaving a message. He would try to call later.


 

Before leaving work Baekhyun tried to call Chanyeol one last time but his phone seemed to still be switched off. He thought that maybe they should consider communicating via snail mail or smoke messages at this point because technology was really against them.

 

The ride back home had been peaceful and Baekhyun could not wait to take a long shower. It had been a strange day and there was a lot of things he needed to sink in.

He stepped out the elevator and walked to his door freezing when he saw what was waiting for him on seated the ground. Or should he say who was waiting for him.

 

Chanyeol what are you doing here?” He said just like he had seen a ghost.

Well, I think it’s obvious I was waiting for you.” The taller man said with a sad smile. He was about to get up but Baekhyun push his shoulders and sat down next to him.

Actually I came so I could give you back your t-shirt. It’s all clean.” He took the t-shirt out of his backpack and gave it to Baekhyun.

The latter took the t-shirt and looked at it. And suddenly all the last events crashed down on his mind. The nightclub party, the following day in his apartment, the longing, the hesitation, the party at Chanyeol’s flat, Chanyeol and Hanna in the bed, Chanyeol who came to see him at the store and Hanna’s confession this afternoon.

He looked into Chanyeol’s eyes, his face probably betraying all the different emotions he was feeling at the same time.

Chanyeol could see the various emotions on Baekhyun’s face and he was trying to understand them. But it was quite difficult, the man seemed to be feeling contradictory things.

He feared a new tantrum like the one he witnessed at the bookstore so he decided to say something to appease the atmosphere. They were still intensely looking at each other.

Baekhyun, I-

But he could not finish his sentence since Baekhyun threw himself on him and attacked his lips with a hungry and passionate kiss.

 

_______________________________________________________________
[A/N] I've got so many things to tell you but I'm like 100% sleep-deprived because I wanted to finish and publish those updates before the end of the week-end.
First of all  THANK YOU, to all of you who read and commented the story this was really encouraging! Well most of you were not happy about the misunderstanding that Baekhyun had to go through but at least you let me know so I knew the story was touching you and it's a big reward *^*
I really hope you will enjoy this double-update, don't hesitate to comment at all, I really enjoy reading your opinions even when you want to punch me haha!
Second point: WELCOME NEW SUBSCRIBERS!!! Omg, I've reached the 100+ subs, thank you all! I really didn't expect that and it was a real motivation during this week. I hope you enjoy the story as well. Special thank you to @ForeverWithHunHan for adding this story on your baekyeol fic recommandation ♥
Third point: Well, this story is coming to an end. Next chapter will be the last one already. When I started this project I thought it would be a 10 chapters max story but look where I am now, it's almost the double. But it's because I really enjoyed writing it and I can already tell you that I'm preparing my 2nd project. It will be another Chanbaek story, full college!au this time. I hope you'll be interested in this one as well.
Anyway, enjoy those updates, I'm sorry for the mistakes, I was really tired at the end but I tried my best. And don't hesitate to comment it will make me smile :D !


PS : If you didn't click on the link know that the song that Chanyeol sent to Baekhyun was BTS - Hold Me Tight (I loooove this song) and I took out the parts of the translated lyrics from http://pinkminmi.wordpress.com.