Chapter 10

The Tokens Rule

Chanyeol had been such in a good mood lately. And Baekhyun was the only person responsible for that.

Since the dinner date they had at Chanyeol’s place, Baekhyun really seemed more at ease with him and it felt great. The shorter man was still showing a little restraint but he was clearly trusting Chanyeol a little more everyday.

Chanyeol was okay with that, he understood Baekhyun’s need to go slow and was ready to show how much he wanted to build a serious relationship with him.

Despite his reputation, the student could be a serious guy. The problem was that he never really had the occasion to explore this possibility. Since his teenage he always had been popular, people was litterally giving themselves to him. He barely had to make an effort to attract people, they were either automatically attracted or was falling for his charm very quickly. And he did not complain about it. That’s thanks to this that he discovered he liked men too. First time he tried was during his senior year in high school, and he enjoyed it, more than with girls actually. College life brought up so many possibilities, he tried a lot of things with no boundaries. However, approaching from graduation he thought it was time to try to settle down. Unfortunately, he was getting bored everytime. His longest relationship so far lasted 8 months and since the beginning he kind of knew it would not be forever thing.

With Baekhyun it was different, they “clicked”. He felt it since they met at Jongdae’s party. He knew he would not get bored after 3 months as usual, he could feel it deep inside.

 

There was just a thing that bothered Chanyeol recently. Baekhyun got this new tendecy to pull the “we’re just friends” card. At first he thought it was just a joke, but he noticed that Baekhyun was using it everytime he felt uncomfortable. Of course, they were friends but not only. Did friends kiss like they did? Did friends hold like they did? Did friends sweet talk to each other like they did?

 

Seemed like the “boyfriend label” was too much for Baekhyun but why? They were already behaving like a couple after all.  Chanyeol was laughing it off every time but it hurt him a little.

 

Like many other nights before, they were on the phone talking about their days and simply joking around.

So did you finish your paper?” Baekhyun asked.

Yes! 2 days earlier than the due date, I’m on a roll!” Chanyeol answered proudly.

Good boy!” The shorter man joked.

Thank you! Will I get a reward?

Baekhyun laughed. “A reward? I’m not your mom Chan. But keep doing your best, I’m proud of you!

Aw, you’re mean, but thank you.” The tall man said with a fake sad voice.

Me, mean? Hmm, well, I’ll give you a gift for your graduation okay?

My graduation is not happening before months!

It will be a big gift then.

I love big gifts! You already have an idea of what it will be?

...No?

Baekhyun!” Chanyeol whined.

His interlocutor started laughing again but suddenly let out a “Oh !”, followed by a splash sound.

Baekhyun?! Are you okay?” Chanyeol asked worringly.

Y-yeah. Phew, I almost dropped my phone in the water but everything is under control.” He said with a relieved tone.

The water? Where are you right now?

Home, relaxing in a hot bath with fancy soap and body oils.

Oh really? Whoa, you’re lucky to have all of these.

Yeah. But actually they were given to me.

Oh, you must be a really nice guy if people give you things like this.

Of course I am, you don’t think so?

Oh you know, I think a lot of things actually. But, by the way, you’re taking the bath right now?

Yeah.

Hmm.

Baekhyun giggled. “I bet you’re imagining me right now.” He added with a flirting voice.

Not at all, I was just wondering which soap and oil you chose.

You’re such a bullter Chanyeol.

And you’re such a tease Baekhyun.

There was then a confortable silence, each one smiling to himself.

Baek, I would really like to spend more time on the phone with you, especially knowing that you’re all wet and stuff but it’s pizza night with Sehun and I think I heard the doorbell.

Oh,it’s okay do your thing Channie. And tell Sehun I said hi!

No I won’t.

Haha, don’t be like this. Anyway, goodnight Chan!

Goodnight Baek!

But none of them hung up.

Chanyeol?

Yeah?

Hang up.

I don’t want to.

Baekhyun laughed. “This again? How old are you seriously? 15?

Excuse me but you didn’t hang up either.

Okay, I’m gonna do it then.

Chanyeol whined and Baekhyun giggled again.

Goodnight Chanyeol. I’ll hang up in 3...2...1…” And he really hanged up.

 

Chanyeol sighed laying on his bed. He was dangerously getting addicted to Baekhyun a little more everyday.


 

Today was a typical thursday, things had slowed down a little at work thanks to Baekhyun’s good managing skills. It was the early afternoon and he was attending a meeting with all of the other managers of the store. The three managers in charge of the Young Adults novels section -the biggest of the bookstore- were exposing their marketing plans for the next month. Baekhyun had already presented his part and was trying his best to stay focused on what his coworkers were saying. He was drawing random patterns on a sheet of his notepad when he felt his phone buzzed on his thigh.

He took the phone out discretly and read the text he just received:
 

From: Chan

01:42 PM
Hello!
Who should I ask if I want a discount on a dictionnary?

 

To: Chan

01:43 PM
What? Where are you?

Did you come at the store again?
 

From: Chan

01:44 PM
Again? Is that a way to treat a loyal customer? :(

 

To: Chan

01:46 PM
Chanyeol stop fooling around!

Are you at the store?
 

From: Chan

01:47 PM
Yes I’m here, 3rd floor.

Looking for the y manager but can’t find him.
 

To: Chan

01:49 PM
I’m in a meeting downstairs.

Almost done. I’ll be there in a few.
 

From: Chan

01:50 PM

‘kay! I’ll be waiting.

Tall, cute and kiss deprived.

I’m easy to find.
 

Baekhyun rolled his eyes and let out a “tssk” louder than he thought, making some of the people around the table look at him.

He mouthed a “Sorry” and proceeded to listen to the rest of the explaination. But after 10 minutes, feeling the meeting was not about to end soon he excused himself and left the room saying he had an important phone call to give.
 

He took the escalators and reaching the 3rd floor he was already able to catch sight of his indeed cute boyfriend. The latter was busy talking with a girl who was acting quite familiar, casually touching his arm and laughing a little too loudly. Chanyeol was smiling at her and seemed very happy to talk to her. Baekhyun felt an unpleasant sensation that he tried to shake off unsuccessfully. He was now standing a few meters away with his arms crossed, staring at the tall man who had not noticed him yet, too busy chatting.

Chanyeol finally felt the glare on him and lifted his head to see the man he was formerly waiting for. He said an “Oh!” and started smiling, making the girl he was talking with turned her head to understand what suddenly catched his attention.

Baekhyun heard him say a “I’m sorry I have to go but let’s plan something as soon as possible, I was happy to see you!”. The girl answered a “Yeah sure, same for me Channie!” and she Chanyeol’s arm before looking back at Baekhyun with a smirk. .

The latter, seeing Chanyeol approaching him, started walking to his office without saying a word. He heard a “Baekhyun?” but did not answer. He kept walking but hearing  footsteps behind him, he knew Chanyeol was following him. He opened the door of his office and walked in, fronting his desk, not looking back. Chanyeol entered the room as well and closed the door behind him. He grabbed the shorter man’s shoulder and turned him to make him face him.

Baek, what was that?

What was what?” Baekhyun answered quite dryly. He couldn’t help himself, he really did not want to sound mean but there was this light anger boiling in his chest.

This right now. You acted like you wanted to avoid me and look at you, you seem upset. Is it because I came without notice? I’m sorry I was around the corner and I thou-

It’s not because of it and I’m not even upset.” He said looking away. He rolled his shoulders to make Chanyeol take off his hands.

Then what? Why are you acting like this? What’s wrong?” Chanyeol was really confused.

Nothing Chanyeol, nothing.” The shorter man was still looking away.

Chanyeol suddenly understood. He crossed his arms, tilted his head and smiled. “Baekhyun, look at me.” He said trying to hold his laugh.

No.

Byun Baekhyun, look at me.

Park Chanyeol, leave me alone.

Chanyeol started laughing, he could not hold it anymore.

You’re so cute when you’re jealous.” He finally said.

What? Jealous? Who? And of who?” Baekhyun let out angrily.

Look at you! Aaaw, Baekhyun c’mon. She’s just an old classmate I had not seen in a while!

Do all of your classmates touch you like this? I went to college too and I’m pretty sure I was not acting like this with mines.” Baekhyun realized that he was admitting his jealousy saying this.

Chanyeol sighed but was screaming inside. Baekhyun was jealous. The Baekhyun who was always acting like he did not care about anything was jealous.

Baek, you really don’t have to worry about this. Yes, she was acting close and stuff but there’s nothing to be jealous about. I came here for you, I was waiting for you and right now I’m happy to be with you.” Chanyeol said while getting dangerously closer.

I am NOT jealous Chanyeol! And first of all, why would I be huh? We’re just friends, there’s nothing to be jealous about!” The manager said looking back at Chanyeol, his eyes  full of provocation.

Hearing the words he hated so much, Chanyeol’s mind went blank. He pinned Baekhyun against the desk, put a hand behind the shorter man’s neck to stabilize him and he kissed him. The kiss was full of passion and anger and Baekhyun responded almost immediately to it. He grabbed onto the other man’shoulder blades, making sure there was the less space possible between their bodies. And after almost two minutes of teeth knocking, lip biting and tongue they broke the kiss to grasp for air. They were looking at each other breathing hard and not saying a word. Chanyeol still felt a little angry and decided to ask the question he had kept inside for a while now.

Baekhyun, you really see me as just a friend? Like, see what we’ve just done? Is this a part of your friendship pack? Because if so, I should be the one jealous since I guess I’m not your only friend.” Chanyeol tried his best to hide how much hurt he really was.

Baekhyun dropped his head ans sighed. “Chan, I told you I needed time.

I know and I will give you all the time you want. But I just need to know, seriously, am I just a friend to you?

Of course not, Baekhyun wanted to say. But no, he could not admit it out loud. After his past experiences, he knew better than to reveal his real feelings too early.

Chanyeol was looking at him, waiting for an answer though. So Baekhyun shrugged and very slightly shook his head. It was enough for Chanyeol who sighed in relief.

I don’t want to push you Baek. It’s just that you’re acting hot and cold and it’s making me crazy sometimes. Seeing you jealous made my mind go in a frenzie, you have no idea. And right after you tell me we’re just friends. You know how I feel and I said I will wait. And I will. Pff, I don’t even know what I’m saying. That’s not what I came here for. How come we ended up talking about this?” Chanyeol laughed lightly and reached for his backpack looking for something.

I was not jealous Chan-

Yeah, whatever, here.” He gave Baekhyun a transparent packet containing 10 handmade cookies.

Oh…

That’s Nutella filled cookies. I know you like it since last time you couldn’t shut up about it. And I saw this new bakery so…

Thank you Chan! God, you’re making me feel so bad. You always have all these little attentions for me and I--I’m sorry.

Sorry for what? It’s okay, that’s just cookies.” Chanyeol said ruffling the other’s man dark hair.

But Chan, do you find me too skinny or something? You’re always buying me food. I’m gonna get a fat .” Baekhyun said opening the packet.

Chanyeol laughed. “No, no. Your body is perfect, especially your little .

I know you’ve been watching ert.” Baekhyun started eating the cookies and felt like he was about to faint of satisfaction. “Damn it’s too good.

The student smiled, the guy in front of him was really going to make his heart explode with all his cuteness and fluffiness.

Oh Baek, I almost forgot! Saturday night a friend of mine is throwing a huge party in a private club. Would you like to come with me? Sehun and Jongdae will come as well. It will be some jet-set party with a famous DJ and floods of champagne. We’re gonna have fun for sure!

I don’t know,it’s been a while since I went to club...

Don’t worry, it’s really going to be fun. And I know you enjoy dancing, remember…

At the thought of them dancing together body-to-body during Jongdae’s party, Baekhyun’s face turned red.

Well, okay, let’s go!

Great! I’ll send you the time and place later. I think I should go now or I’ll be late for my afternoon classes. See you later okay?

Okay! Thanks again for the cookies.

You’re welcome. It was actually a great idea since I’d never taste Nutella before.

Wh-

But before Baekhyun finished his question, Chanyeol approached him again, his lips and gave him a little smooch.

You had Nutella on your lips. I’m sure you did it on purpose. Anyway, it tastes really good indeed.

The tall man walked to the door and shouted “Bye Baek!” without turning back and left.

 

On saturday night, after parking his car, Baekhyun, walked peacefully towards the club that Chanyeol indicated him in his texts. He told him he had a surprise to show him. Baekhyun was wondering what it could be, hopefully not food since they were going to a club but who knew ?

Chanyeol was supposed to wait for him in front of the club but Baekhyun didn’t see any familiar face. He was about to look for his phone in his pocket when he heard a voice that he now knew too well.

Looking for me gorgeous?

Chanyeol was standing in front of him, classy from head to toe in his all-black dress shirt and pants, silver cufflinks shining at his wrists. But the most stunning thing was his new hair color, a dazzling dark grey which fitted him perfectly, especially with his hair pushed back like this. Damn damn damn.

Okay, you look surprised and it’s understandable, but say something, do you like it?” Chanyeol said a little embarrassed.

Are you kidding? I love it! Chan, you’re freaking hot!

Oh, thank you!” The tall man answered with his face blushing. “You’re pretty hot too, as usual.

Thanks! But why grey? I mean, it’s stunning, but it’s so unexpected.

I know right? Well, honestly I don’t know. I wanted to change my hairstyle and I asked the hairdresser to recommend me something original and here I am, haha! Sehun said it was fitting with my Grandpa nickname, this little .

Baekhyun laughed, he liked the nickname that Sehun was using for Chanyeol but never admitted it to not offend the man.

So Baek, shall we go? Everyone is already inside and quite drunk.

Yeah let’s go! But wow, am I late? At what time did you guys arrive for some of you to be already drunk?

We arrived maybe 30 minutes ago, but the guys started drinking way before we left for the party actually. They improvised a pre-party thing so they’re not too far from being faced. Tonight’s gonna be wild!

 
__________________________________________________________
[A/N] Welcome to new subs! I didn't intend to end this chapter here but it's pretty late for me so you'll get the rest in the next chapter!
This fic won't be too long, I think there's around 3 chapter left, I'm still reflecti
ng on it. Anyway, hope you'll enjoy this new update! Thank you everyone!