Chapter 1

The Tokens Rule

Monday, 6:30 AM...like every weekday, Baekhyun’s alarm clock went off, blasting a pop song. For this month he selected Ariana Grande’s Problem, this song always put him in a good mood and gave him strenght to get out of bed and get ready.

Like every morning, he took his breakfast, took a shower, dressed up, applied some cosmetics. 45 minutes after waking up he headed up to his car waiting for him in his apartement underground parking-lot.

The ride to his workplace usually took 20 minutes, but monday traffic could make it longer, up to 40 minutes sometimes. Today was no exception but Baekhyun didn’t mind, listening to loud pop music and singing along to it allowed him to enjoy the ride. He didn’t fear being late since he always made sure to leave early enough. Plus, he was in a position where he could actually be late with no fear of being scolded.

After getting his Masters’ degree in Business Management, he applied to several firms, a few answered, and he had various job interviews. He succeed to get two positive answers, one  from a food-processing company and another from a huge franchise bookstore. After three days of reflexion he decided to pick the latter, and he’s been a junior manager at Georges & Hills for 1 year now.

Baekhyun loved his job. He was aware of how lucky he has been to find it so quickly after graduating, especially when the job was everything he has always wanted to do. Being in charge of a team, defining the marketing strategy of his department, ads, sales, stocks, the plannings of each member of the team, all of that was under his responsability. The first weeks had been really stressful but Baekhyun was really dedicated and did a good job from the start. He quickly earned the praises of his higher-ups who trusted him fully now despite his young age. Keeping it up like this would probably get him to get the responsability of a second department next year, but for now he was the dynamic 25-years-old manager of the schoolbooks section. From kindergarten coloring books to college textbooks, everything was under his control. He knew how to attract over-worried parents wanting to make sure that their 5-years-old kids would be able to read perfectly before starting elementary school or over-stressed college freshmen looking for the perfect book to help them passing their finals. As a manager, Baekhyun was not really the one you would find between the shelves helping the clients. He had his own office but he liked to patrol from times to times, making sure everything was okay, that the shelves were in order, every book in the right section, and that every team member was working diligently. But he actually liked to discuss with clients too, that was the best way to keep up with the latest trend, especially amongst parents. This way he could adjust his strategy regularly and always sell more.

This monday was an ordinary day, it was now 8:20 AM, the store was opening at 10 AM, but he had to make sure that everything would be okay prior to welcome the first clients of the day. Soon the employees would start arriving. Baekhyun was in a good mood. Something made him feel even lighter than usual. This week would be really nice, he could feel it.


 

9 AM the same day in another part of the city, Park Chanyeol, was proof-reading the last part of his paper due at noon, final deadline. The dark circles under his eyes were the natural consequences of the all-nighter he had to pull to finish his work. Because even though they were given 3 weeks to do the paper, well, Chanyeol forgot to do it. No, he did not actually really forget, but truth is he thought it was due next week, so he had plan to work on it this week. He was unpleasantly surprised when he saw the automatic e-mail sent from the college intranet platform the previous day. It was a reminder, he had 24 hours left to submit his paper for his Operating Systems class. The e-mail had been sent at noon but Chanyeol only saw it when he woke up at 3 PM, a little hangover from the party he went to on the saturday.

His mind went blank for a few minutes, but after drinking an energy drink, he showered quickly and started working hastily. Despite the current situation, Chanyeol was actually a good student, or at least he always managed to have good marks most of the time. He actually had no choice, when he decided to go from law studies to computer engineering studies his parents were not very pleased. Especially because it meant he had to start over after 2 years and had to go back to his freshman status. He was now in the last year for his Master’s Degree and was doing well. He loved his major, he had no regrets about it. He made sure to keep at least correct grades all along to show his parents he made the right decision. Law was not for him, he wanted to make them happy but after 2 years he just could not endure it anymore, he really did not like it.

When he finished the proof-reading, he sent the paper and checked if he did not have any other paper due this week, fortunately it was the only one.

His eyes were starting to close when his roommate opened the door of his room. He walked into the living room where Chanyeol’s books and notes were dispatched everywhere on the dinner table.
 

Whoa Chanyeol, you really did not sleep at all last night?”
Nope, it’s not like I had another choice.” Chanyeol said this with a sad smile on his face.
Everything is okay now or are you still working on it ? Don’t wanna freak you out but there’s less than three hours left now.” The younger boy teased the exhausted-looking guy he had in front of him.

Oh no, everything is okay, I just sent it. Man, I thought I won’t be able to finish it. This won’t happen to me again, I’m too old for this. I’m ing exhausted.”

Guess you’ll skip all of your morning classes then?”
You guessed right” Chanyeol said as happily as he could while standing up and heading to his own room. “And I might skip the afternoon ones too because I really don’t know if I will be able to wake up before 2 PM.”

Alright grandpa, well, see you much later then!”

Yeah, good night Sehunnie ! Or good morning, whatever.” Chanyeol answered while closing the door of his room. He threw himself on his bed and fell into a deep sleep without setting up an alarm clock. The afternoon classes would be for sure skipped as well.


Two days later, Chanyeol was hanging out in the city with Sehun. The weather was nice, it was still cold but the sun were shining bright and the boys were enjoying an afternoon out. They went for some shopping as expected from the two fashion lovers they were, especially Sehun. Now they were sitting at a table of one of their favourite cafés, enjoying hot bubble teas and deciding which movie they would go to see later.

Check the times for the new Mad Max.” Chanyeol told his roomate.

Which theater ?”

Chanyeol shrugged: “I don’t know , look for the nearest.”

Okay” Sehun said . He started looking for the information on his iPhone.

Chanyeol’s phone rang, indicating he got a new e-mail. He started reading it and sighed.

What’s wrong ?” Sehun asked still looking at his own phone.
My Wireless Network lecturer said he has to postpone all of the next week classes, means I’ll have more free time next week. But he expects us to use this time wisely. We have an exam next month and he won’t be able to go into everything in depth with us. it, I’ll have to do a lot of work by myself and that’s not the easiest subject. He gave us a list of books that could be helpful though.” Chanyeol sound a little bit peeved.

What a nice man” Sehun said sarcastically. “Hang in there, in a few months you’ll be free from exam forever. But for now, you gotta study !”

Yeah, shut up young man. What about the movie times ? Do you need me to explain you how to use an iPhone ?”

You really…” but Sehun did not finish his sentence. “The next showing is at 5:30PM, we have 1h30 to wait.”

Okay, well let’s already go buy the tickets, then do you mind if we go to a bookstore ? I saw a Georges & Hill on the way, I want to see if I can find some of the books for my Wireless Network exam.”

I’m not really interested into your books quest but I will follow you since you’re the one paying for the movie tickets.” Sehun said calmly while getting up and walking to the exit of the café.

I’ve never said…

But Sehun was too far to hear Chanyeol who started walking to the exit as well.


________________________

[A/N] Okay, 1st chapter is out, just like my stress...lol! I'll start working on the next one and will try to upload before the end of the week!