Chapter 13

The Tokens Rule

One week.

It had been one week since Chanyeol had left Baekhyun’s apartement feeling stupid and empty.

Stupid because the things he had revealed to the bookstore manager had scared the latter and empty because despite the fact that he spit out his feelings the shorter man had not given him a proper answer about their relationship. He even let him leave without an attempt to make him stay.

Now stupiditu and emptiness had been replaces by sadness.

Chanyeol had been waiting everyday and every night for something but he had not received a single call or even a text from Baekhyun.

After the 3 first days he had started to hesitate, he thought about calling the one he was missing so much but he refrained himself. Because honestly what could he have said ? He had already sait it all last time. And what if Baekhyun did not want to hear from him, it would have made things worst.

So that is why he decided to not like a burden and waited for the other man to be ready. But it seemed like that moment never came.

And like the night before, and the other night before, Chanyeol was checking his phone for the umpteenth time. “No new notification”, the tall student put the phone back on his desk and sighed. He was about to resume the reading of his notes when someone knocked at his room’s door and opened it without waiting for the authorization.

Of course, it was Sehun.

 

Grandpa, I’m about to order a pizza, want one ?

Hmm, no thanks. Not hungry.” Chanyeol answered without even looking at his roomate.

The latter sighed and sat on the bed.

Okay so I know you’re sad and everything but could please cut it with the lovesick teenage girl phase?

Chanyeol frowned and shifted so he could give Sehun an angry look but the younger of the two was not impressed.

Exactly what I’m talking about. You barely talk, you don’t eat properly, you get angry for nothing. C’mon Yeol, if you miss Baekhyun just give him a call for ’sake.” Sehun just said matter-of-factly.

I can’t.”

Yes you can. You’re just scared of what he will tell you. But like you said yourself, you can’t just go on like this without knowing what you two are about. So call him and tell him you need to know what he really wants.

He knows I’m waiting! I already told him everything I was holding in last time. So either he is still reflecting ont it or either he doesn’t want to see me anymore.” Chanyeol said the last words on a very lower tone. He had been thinking about this a lot and imagining that Baekhyun had already made up his mind about not seeing him anymore was hurting him like hell.

That would have been too unfair. It was not really his fault if he never had the occasion to be in a real relationship before. He was not a bad guy, it was just that he had never really fallen in love. He tried but who on Earth could really control their feelings ? And yes he knew that those cheating episodes were wrong but the relationships he was into back in that time were not even that serious. And he had felt regretful enought about it. Blame it on the need of experienc and adrenaline or maybe on the stupidity of his younger self. He really did not know, it did not matter and he never thought it would.

Like seriously, did Baekhyun think he would ever cheated on him? That was the stupidest assumption ever because he would never do it. That was not even an option. It was like the lattest thing that Baekhyun should have worried about.

Chanyeol liked the manager a lot, A LOT. That would never had crossed his mind. In fact, rather than stupid the situation was pretty ironic. The first and only person he was having true feelings for was pushing him away because he was doubting his loyalty.

 

Yeol?!” Sehun snapped, cutting Chanyeol’s thoughts.

The latter had actually forgotten someone was talking to him.

Ah, sorry.” The taller said putting his head between his hands. The situation was making him go crazy.

You’re turning senile Grandpa. I don’t care about what you say, I’m ordering you a pizza. You need to eat so you can study well and torture yourself over your unrequited love.” Sehun let our the “joke” before he could realize how mean it was. Chanyeol’s expression immediatly turned into a mix of sorrow and disappointment.

...sorry Yeol! I didn’t mean to-, sorry! Okay, I’m taking care of the food. I’ll call you when everything’s ready.” And the now blushing Sehun hastily left the room cursing himself over his big mouth.

 

Somewhere else in the city, a dark-haired bookstore manager was also torturing himself, trying to find some light through his best friend’s advices.

For the third time this week Baekhyun and Yixing were on the phone. Baekhyun had already told the whole post-party story the the Chinese man. The latter had listened to everything his friend had to tell, talking about his fears, about his ex, about the little things Chanyeol had done for him and anything he felt like sharing. And at this point, Yixing was sure about two things: first, even if Baekhyun had not litteraly admitted it, he liked Chanyeol but, second, he was scared to have his heart shattered another time. And for having witnessed Baekhyun’s last, Yixing could not blame his friend for being cautious.

 

He remembered that day when Baekhyun had called him totally devastated to tell him his former boyfriend had been seing someone else for weeks. That he kind of knew about it  already but had hoped he could endure it. That he had tried to make his boyfriend forget about the other person by buying him gifts, making his favourite dishes or doing anything he could to keep the man’s attention but it did not work. The more Baekhyn was trying, the more his boyfriend was rejecting him. At some point, every attempt to talk was turning into arguments with the man quoting every single flaw he was attributing to Baekhyun. One day, after a particular harsh quarrel, the dark-haired man decided to spend the week-end at his parents’house. But feeling guilty and missing the man he desperatly loved so much, he came back to Seoul after only one day almost running to the flat he was sharing with his boyfriend. He could not wait to hug the man and told him he was sorry to be such a burden. But when Baekhyun opened the front door his man was already holding someone else. His rival was in his house, on his couch, straddling his man, , and the two of them were kissing grossly and who knew what they were about to do after.

At this exact moment, Baekhyun could have sweared he felt his heart breaking into million pieces. Betrayal, anger, shame, he was feeling it all at the same time. He wished he could disappear or at least run away but he was unable to move. His brain was freezing with all the negativity he was feeking and he could not even utter a word. He stood here, at the door, 4 eyes on him, “his” boyfriend pushing away the man he had on his lap and trying to explain the situation. But everything was clear, there was really nothing to explain.

Recollecting his senses slowly, Baekhyun managed to say a flat “Leave”. Without arguing, the two men walked to the door. When his now ex-boyfriend passed by him, Baekhyun catched his wrist and without even looking at him, he told him to call the next day so they could plan when he could come to take his belongings.

When the two men were far enough, Baekhyun slammed the door, fell on his knees and started crying his eyes out. And that is all he did for weeks.

Yixing was making sure to call him everyday to check on him and beg him to eat and to not let himself drown into depression because “this motherer did not deserver it”. He felt really helpless hearing his dearest friend broken voice everytime without being able to be physically here for him. He made sure to come to Seoul a few times to stay with Baekhyun and saw the despair his precious friend was living into.

 

But hopefully as they say, time heals everything. So little by little, Baekhyun started to smile and shine again, starting a new life which led him to his current quite successful status.

Yixing was really proud of his younger friend and secretly he had hoped he would be able to find love again because he truly deserved it. That was why he encouraged Baekhyun to give Chanyeol a chance when they first met. And honestly, he was really satisfied with the results because Chanyeol seemed to be a great guy. Plus, it was cute to see Baekhyun fight his feelings when he was obviously falling for the tall guy.

But now his frind was feeling sad and scred to go further and he could not really blame him knowing his past.

What if Chanyeol broke his Baekie’s heart? What if he cheated on him? That would be a disaster and Yixing could not let this happen.

That was why he decided to call the friend he had in common with the tall student the day before.

Jongdae was only half-surprised when Yixing called him to ask a few questions about Chanyeol’s reliability.

Yixing, I’m actually glad you called. I don’t have all of the details of the story but I want to make things clear. Chanyeol is pretty serious about Baekhyun. I won’t lie, it’s not usual. Yes, he has this little player side but it’s mainly due to him being cocky sometimes. And when I think about it, it’s just that he attracts people more than he hits on them. Anyway, he’s not an ill-intentioned person. And I saw it with my own eyes, we even talked about it. He likes Baekhyun, like for real. He was actually quite lost because of the contradictory signals he was getting. I’m not blaming Baekhyun at all. But knowing that goofy elf, I’m even more surprised that Chanyeol tried this much without being sure of the response he would get. Baekhyun should really not worry about Chanyeol’s faithfulness or commitment, he is already into deep. So actually, I would appreciate if Baekhyun could tell him honestly what’s they’re all about, because Yeol is waiting and suffering and imagining thousands of scenarios. I mean, if he really doesn’t want to go further with Chanyeol, he should at least let him know. But he would be missing out to be honest.

 

Yixing had reported Jongdae’s words to his best friend. But they did not help, au contraire.

 

Yixing, how can I be reassured when everytime someone talks about him they mention him being a player or always attracting people? This just makes me want to run away.” Baekhyun complained. He was not wrong, Yixing thought.

I know Baekie, but most of the time, people mention this side of him to show you how he went out of his easy usual way for you. It’s not just about him popular, it’s about him being popular yet opening his heart to you.” Yixing tried to convince his friend but already knew he failed.

Wow, mister Prom King let me in his castle, I should be honored and gave him the power to crush my life.” The younger answered with some agressivity.

Yixing sighed, the discussion was going nowhere once again.

Baekhyun-ah… If you’re that scared, just don’t do it. Call him and tell him honestly that you can’t do it. You already told him his player side was a turn-off so I guess he won’t be too surprised.

Baekhyun did not answer.

Baekhyun?

Yeah?” He whispered.

You will call him to tell him you’re putting an end to your almost-relationship?

...No.”

“So you’re going to give it a try?”

“...No.”

“Baekhyun! You can’t do this to him. He’s been waiting. He deserves a proper answer.”

“I don’t have a proper answer. Yix, what would you do? What do you think I should do?”

“No Baekhyun, I already told you it’s your life. You have to make your own choices. I don’t want to tell you to do something that will lead you to sadness.”

“So you’re basically admitting that you want me to give it a try.

Touché.

N-no. Well, I don’t know, you seem to like him a lot and seems like it’s mutual. I don’t know, I have a good vibe about him. And I’m willing to believe he will treat you right. But I could be mistaken, I’m a dreamer. And I really don’t wanna be the one who pushes you into a ed-up relationship. You only deserve happiness and true love Baekie. But know that whatever your choice is you have my full support. But make-a-choice. This is unfair to him. He might have cost him a lot to open his heart like this. And give him those few extra points for being honest. He could have told you that his friend was bullting under the influence of alcohol.”

“Well, if he had not being honest that would have been quite a bad start for a healthy relationship don’t you think?”

Touché again.

Hmm, true.”

“I’m sorry Yix if I turn out agressive. I’m going crazy with this.”

“It’s because you already like him.” Yixing finally dared to say making Baekhyun scoff.

I-I don’t. I mean, he’s fun to be around but no?

Yixing was smiling to himself. He decided to not push his little friend’s limits too far. He was already suffering enough.

Alright Baekhyun-ah. You don’t like him. But could you please give him an answer? You can call me right after if you need a shoulder to cry on no matter what you choose. Just do the thing that seems right to you okay?

Okay…But I need some time again. I just don’t want to regret it later. I don’t want to miss something great but at the same time I won’t be able to survive another hearbreak like last time.

You’re a warrior my little Baekhyun. But honestly if you try and he s up I will personally take a plane just to kick his .

Sweet Yixing beating someone else’s ? That was the funniest thing to imagine. Baekhyun chuckled.

I would pay to see you fight Chanyeol honestly.”

No one makes you cry, I won’t allow it.” The best friend said with confidence.

Thank you Yix. Thank you for everything. You’re my brother, I love you so much.

Aww Baekie, I love you too! And if you’re getting this sentimental it means you’re really tired. Go to sleep now!

Haha, yeah I should. Thanks. Good night!

Good night Baekhyun-ah!

 

Baekhyun slept well this night. But unfortunately he woke up still hesitant. Chanyeol will have to wait again.

 

 

 

 

 

______________________________________________________

I am sooooooo sorry !!!!!!!!!!
Really short chapter but I couldn't go further and I didn't want to let more time passes before a new update :(

I didn't even prood-read it, I apologize for any mistakes/non-sense/etc.

You'll get the rest this week I promise!!

Thank you @sweetlollipop and @byunxx0506 for the upvotes! ♥