Chapter 12

The Tokens Rule

When Baekhyun woke up, he was feeling nauseous, dizzy and hot, so hot. He was awake but he kept his eyes closed, trying to cope with his spinning head.

Why was he so hot? And first of all where was he? He did not feel the smoothness of his mattress, his body was aching and his movements were restricted by the lack of space. He decided to open his eyes really slowly, and through his blurry vision he could distinguish his coffee table. Good, I’m home, I must have fallen asleep on the couch when I came back.

Then, he felt something shift behind him, an arm fell on him and someone pressed on his back, slowly breathing. What the hell ?!

Baekhyun turned around carefully, and felt relieved seeing a sleeping Chanyeol. He could not remember exactly what really happened last night, but his memory recall a tall handsome man driving him back home in his car. This handsome man was now sleeping on his couch.

Baekhyun took time to appreciate the view, he wanted to touch Chanyeol’s face, his nose, his cheeks, his lips...But he stopped himself, not wanting to wake the tall man up.

Trying to remember the events of the night before, Baekhyun suddenly panicked, wondering if something happened between him and Chanyeol. But that was pretty unlikely since they were both fully dressed in their party outfits. Feeling a rush of affection towards his guardian, he approached him even more despite being hot and pressed his body fully to the other’s. But he moved too fast, and being his clumsy self, Baekhyun hit Chanyeol’s leg and woke him up.

The latter frowned and opened his eyes, gaze falling into Baekhyun’s stunned one.

 

Sorry! Didn’t want to wake you up!” Baekhyun said apologetically.

 

Chanyeol smiled and shook his head. “It’s okay.” He said softly, ruflling tenderly the man in front of him’s hair. “How are you feeling?

 

Baekhyun was enjoying the warm hand on his head, playing with some strands. “My head is spinning like crazy, it hurts, and honestly I might throw up on you at any moment.” He said with a childish tone.

 

Chanyeol made a fake disgusted face and acted like he was about to get up, pushing the shorter man slightly. But Baekhyun hold on to him strongly.

No, you stay here!

 

Chanyeol tried to free himself but Baekhyun hold him tighter. And they kept on with their little fight for various minutes laughing like crazy.

Finally, Chanyeol gave in, and hold Baekhyun too, both of them still lying down on the couch. “It’s okay Baek, you can do as you please anayway.

Baekhyun landed his head in the space between Chanyeol’s neck and collarbone.

Thank you Chan.” He let out.

 

Y-You’re really going to throw up on me?” Chanyeol asked hesitantly.

Idiot.” Baekhyun giggled. “Thank you for yesterday, for the party, and for taking care of me, bringing me home safely and all. To be honest, I don’t remember everything, but I know you handled the situation when I was trashed.

It’s normal Baek. I wasn’t gonna let you go back home alone and drunk. Taking care of you is one my priority now.” Chanyeol said brushing Baekhyun’s back. “But what don’t you remember? I mean, what is the last thing you remember?

 

Baekhyun said he remembered almost everything about the party but memories started being blurry after they left the nightclub. He remembered about Chanyeol driving his car, but how and when they arrived at the apartment was a mistery.

 

Actually I was panicking a little when I woke up on the couch with someone sleeping behind me.” He finished.

Chanyeol laughed. “Party animal Baekhyun is no joke. So you don’t remember anything that happened when we arrived here? Anything that you said or did?”. Chanyeol’s grin made the manager feel insecure. He knew how wild he could act when he was drunk and seeing the other’s smile was not a good sign.

Why are you smiling like this? What did I do?

Chanyeol did not answer.He just raised his eyebrows and started giggling.

Oh my God, Chanyeol stop this, tell me what happened!

Chanyeol lifted himself and Baekhyun up so now they were sitting on the couch.

Baek, I’m a little offended by the fact that you don’t remember what happened here on this couch a few hours ago. Because you actully made me really happy.” He said with an evil smile.

Baekhyun thought he was about to go crazy. He slapped Chanyeol’s arm.

You took advantage of me?! You knew I was drunk and you took advantage of the situation to make me do weird things?

What?! No! You were the one who litterally jumped on me trying to take my shirt off. I am the one who stopped you so you’re actually the one who tried to take advantage of me.Trying to seduce me with your cute face and all. I resisted for the sake of everyone but damn, that was not easy!

Hearing Chanyeol’s words, Baekhyun blushed. Some flashbacks came to his mind and he knew the taller man was not lying. Oh God, how could he act like that? He was not going to drink alcohol before a long time again.

I-I’m sorry Chan. Oh my God, I’m so embarrassed.

Why? It’s cool to see you letting it go. And you said you care for me and that you knew I wanted you and-”

Okay, stop it!” Baekhyun said while hiding his face in his hands.

Chanyeol laughed. “Drunk Baekhyun is really entertaining. No but seriously, what you told me last night made me happy. I’m glad to know that you care for me.” Chanyeol decided to stop here, not mentionning the part where Baekhyun asked him to tell that he liked him. He pulled on Baekhyun’s wrists and tipped his head to look into his eyes. He approached his face slowly, analyzing Baekhyun’s reaction, and seing no rejection, he kissed him tenderly.

But for now, let me take care of you. Go take a shower, I will cook something for your hangover alright?

Baekhyun nodded and after showing Chanyeol the kitchen, he left to the bathroom.

 

Baekhyun came back from his shower 20 minutes later. He was wearing a pair of bluejeans and a plain white t-shirt, his wet hair falling ily on his face.

 

It smells good!” He said entering the kitchen.

Chanyeol who was looking for something in one of the cupboards turned around and felt like he was having a mini heart attack at the vision of post-shower Baekhyun. It was the 1st time he was seeing the man wearing casual clothes like this. And his hair throwing little drops of water when he was moving was the strawberry on the shortcake.

I really don’t know how you manage to be so y whatever you’re wearing.” Chanyeol let out totally stunned.

Baekhyun scratched his hair and bit his lip, blushing lightly. Chanyeol pulled him into a hug and kiss him softly at first, but it quickly became more feverish. Baekhyun thrown his arms around the taller man’s neck standing on tiptoes. Chanyeol was holding his waist tightly, letting no space between them.

When they finally let go, Chanyeol served the food and they ate while talking about the party.

 

When they finished their plates, Chanyeol got up and was about to clean the table but was stopped by Baekhyun.

You already cooked Chan, let me take care of that. Why don’t you go take a shower? I don’t think you can fit in any of my pants but I still can lend you a big t-shirt.

Are you saying that I’m fat?

“No what I mean is that you’re like a big gross tree and I’m a delicate rose so a t-shirt is all I can I give you.” Baekhyun said with a mocking tone.

Chanyeol smiled back. “Well, we can really say I’m not trying to get in your pants then.” He started laughing, proud of his pun.

Baekhyun looked at him trying his best to pull a serious and shady face but was obviously holding his laugh. “Chan, this is so lame. I don’t even know what to tell you. Just leave!” And he proceed to shoo the tall man towards the bathroom picking a towel and a t-shirt on the way.

 

Baekhyun was watching TV when Chanyeol came back in the living room and seeing the man wearing his long dark blue “Too hot to be touched” t-shirt made him laugh immediatly. Chanyeol looked down on himself and started giggling too.

You gave me this one on purpose right?” The student said while sitting next to the owner who was trying to catch his break.

It’s one of the very few I got which could fit you. You don’t like it?” The shorter man said faking innocence.

Oh no, I kinda agree with what’s written on it actually.

Baekhyun rolled his eyes. “Please…”.

Chanyeol gave him a little slap on the arm.

So, how is this headache going? Still nauseous?

I took some pills for my head, and I don’t feel nauseous anymore. I guess your hangover special dish is efficient doctor Park.”

Aaah told you! But don’t you feel tired?

Yeah, a little.” Baekhyun admitted.

Chanyeol pulled him and adjusted him so now Baekhyun was laying on the couch with his head on the tall man’s lap. The latter reached down and gave Baekhyun a peck on the lips.

The he started his dark hair lazily and they stayed like this watching TV and chatting. Sometimes, Baekhyun would close his eyes for a few seconds, falling asleep then open his eyes and act as if nothing hapenned. This behaviour was making Chanyeol smile, his heart was fluttering so much, Baekhyun was way too adorable.

They ended up talking about their teenage and early college memories. Chanyeol told Baekhyun about his whole popularity thing and how sometimes he put him in weird situations. Suddenly, Baekhyun recalled the words of Deukie at the party last night. He was hesitating but finally decided to talk about it.

Chan, your friend Deukie told me something last night while you were having a drink with your female classmates.”

Chanyeol frowned. Deukie could be a pain in the sometimes and he could feel that Baekhyun was worried.

What did he say? If it was about the girls, I told you they were only classmates and-

No, no. It was more in general. Like, he said you were really popular and that I should get used to it and that you would come back to me at the end.” Baekhyun tried to say it with a cool tone but did not succeed. Now he could see anger appearing in Chanyeol’s eyes.

What the hell? Baek, I don’t know what he made you think but that’s not it. I swear to God I will kill Deukie next time I see him! The hell does he think he is? Talking about me when he’d never been in a serious relationship himself and-

Have you?” Baekhyun asked, cutting Chanyeol’s rant. The latter was caught off guard and was not sure about what he had been asked about.

Have I what?” He asked a litte confused.

Have you already been in a serious relationship?” Baekhyun asked seriously. He readjusted himself so now he was back to the sitting position, still looking at Chanyeol.

I did… at least I tried. It lasted 8 months but I don’t know, I was not feeling it so I broke up. She was a nice person though.

Oh, so it was a girl...

Yeah, I-  Baek, as I told you I’ve been with women as well as men. I don’t know, I don’t really mind as long as I get along well with the person. We need to have a good vibe and if we do then it’s all that matters to me. My real problem is that I get bored easily. This is mainly why I’d barely had very long relationships. And also because sometimes, the other person would just give themselves to me. So most of the time we didn’t even get the time to know each other. We would just you know, go to a few dates, have and that’s all. Sometimes we didn’t even bother going to dates.” Chanyeol said this a little embarrassed. But well, it was the truth and he wanted to be as honest as possible with Baekhyun.

I knew you were a player.” The shorter man said with a slight hint of disappointment in his voice. Chanyeol noticed it and was about to defend himself but Baekhyun did not let him and kept talking. “But you know, hearing you say that you get bored easily makes me wondering if you’re only attracted to me because you see me as a challenge. You said people give themselves to you pretty easily. And I know that I’ve been confusing you a lot by not saying what I clearly want about us. I’m still showing a little resistance to what we could be and maybe your mind is intrigued and that you see me as a game. For the 1st time you have to chase after someone and that might be entertaining. But what will happen when I give you access to my heart? When I let you in? Will you get bored after a few months too? Can I trust you Chanyeol?

Baekhyun had not actually planned to say those things but they just flew out of his mouth. He felt vulnerable letting out his insecurities like this but it needed to be said. If he was about to get in the whole official boyfriends pack with Chanyeol the terms had to be clear.

The same Chanyeol who, for the first time was the one left speechless. He really did not expect the man he was facing’s reaction and declaration. He felt a little hurt by the fact that Baekhyun thought he could get bored of him. He was sure that was not going to happen. He already reflected on it, and as cliché as it sound, what he felt for the dark-haired man was different. First of all, he was really feeling something, and he wanted it, a real relationship, taking care of Baekhyun, making sure he was happy. This was so unusual for him. He felt like he could wait for Baekhyun to be ready for months again, not that he really wanted to wait but he would if he had to. It was not a stupid spoiled child game of “I want it because I can’t have it’. He wanted it because he liked the man and  was ready to do anything for it. But words were flooding his mind, he did not know where to start and what to say so he was just staring at a waiting Baekhyun. He finally took one of Baekhyun’s hand in his and tried to give the best answer he could.

Baekhyun, I really have mixed feelings about what you just said. On a hand I’m hurt that you think I might just be playing with you but on the other hand I’m glad you let me know how you’re feeling inside. As you said, I tend to be confused by our situation because you keep saying that we’re just friends when honestly for me you are so much more Baek. We already talked about it a little and I said I would wait for you and I still want to do it. And how in the world can you think that I will get bored with you? I mean, what I told you about my previous relationships may be quite frightening but you are not this people Baek. Don’t even compare what we got to those bulls because that’s not the same thing at all. I like you Baekhyun, a lot, I don’t know how could I show you but please trust me. I’m here for you and I’ll do whatever you want me to do. I will be anything you want me to be.

Baekhyun’s heart started beating faster, he could see the sincerity in the other’s brown eyes. But he was still scared. He was looking for a real stable relationship, and dating someone who had never really settled down was kind of risky. As sincere as Chanyeol seemed to be there would still be a chance that someday he would feel too pressured of what Baekhyun was asking. The latter had already experienced long-time relationship and heartbreak and he really was not ready for the last one. But deep inside he knew it was a bit late because he already liked Chanyeol so much even though he could not admit it out loud.

Deukie’s words came to his mind again, and he pictured Chanyeol with the girls at the club, and that other girl at the bookstore the other day. Chanyeol was still a college student, he was popular, that was a dangerous mix. Baekhyun decided to ask a question that he had tried to avoid but which was actually the backbone of his fears.

Chanyeol, have you ever cheated on someone?

Chanyeol hoped this question would never come but he knew he would have to talk about it eventually. He sighed, scratched his head and nodded with an aggrieved expression.

Baekhyun pull his hand out of Chanyeol’s ones.

But let me expla-” Chanyeol tried to say but once again Baekhyun did not let him finish and cut him off.

Listen Chanyeol, my last relationship lasted 3 years and endep up really badly. At some point I discovered that my ex was cheating on me. He then tried to justified himself saying that I had changed and that my job was taking too much of my time. And he progressively started to point out all the things he did not like about me.” Baekhyun’s voice was trembling, talking about his last lovestory was always making him emotional. “Anyway, that’s not the point. What I want to say is that loyalty is the thing the most important to me. I’m totally intolerant to cheating, no excuse for this. We’re grown-ups, happens and sometimes you do things that you might regret later and I can understand this but cheating is a no Chanyeol. I want to make this extremely clear. You’re still at college and you’re pretty popular, I saw it with my own eyes. You like to party, you’re good-looking and I know people will try to seduce you so if I’m not sure I can trust you I’d rather spare myself problems and not dating someone who will make me worried every single day.” Baekhyun’s gaze was hard. He did not want to sound mean but this was a serious subject.

 

Baekhyun, I told you that what I did before cannot be compared to what I want to establish with you. Yes I’ve already cheated a few times, but it was a long time ago. I was a stupid young man enjoying the college party life a little bit too hard. The relationships I was into weren’t that serious so I wasn’t really reflecting. You really don’t have to worry about this, if you accept me I will be only yours. Heck, I’m already yours Baekhyun, can’t you see it? Your ex-boyfriend was a ing retard. Honestly the more I know about how he acted with you, the more I wonder how could he get with you in the first place. He didn’t deserve you. Well, maybe I don’t deserve you too, but I will make sure to work hard so I can always make you smile. Look, I understand your hesitation. I’ve never been into a long-term relationship and I know I’ve got the reputation of a player but trust me Baekhyun, all those things I’m feeling right now might be new but they’re genuine. I can make it, I want to make it.” Chanyeol took Baekhyun’s hand and put it on his chest. “Can you feel my heart? See how fast it’s beating? It’s always like this when I’m with you. I’ve never felt like this in my life. Honestly, I might be scared a little, this is all new for me but I like you and I will make it work. Trust me.

 

Then there was a much needed silence. The two men were not looking at each other anymore, each one lost in his thoughts.

After what seemed like an eternity, Chanyeol finally got up and said “Maybe I should go.”.

He felt exhausted. He poured his heart out and getting no reaction from Baekhyun was hurting more and more at each minute passing by.

Do you want me to drop you off?” Baekhyun finally said.

Chanyeol shook his head. He was expecting the other man’s to stop him, to ask him to stay or at least tell him something about their relationship. But nothing like this came out so he wanted to be alone now.

No thanks, I’ll take a cab. You should rest and prepare yourself for the upcoming week.” He said turning to face the man he liked so much, a sad smile on his face.

Baekhyun got up too, he knew he should have said something. Letting Chanyeol leave like this without giving him an answer was cruel. But Baekhyun really did not know what to say, he had too much on his mind.

Chanyeol, I-I…

The taller man was looking at him, his eyes full of expectation.

I’m thankful for this week-end. I really had great time.” Baekhyun pulled him into a hug.

A hug? it, Chanyeol wanted to kiss Baekhyun, they were beyond the goodbye hug status but right now was not the right timing for a kiss. How could things had turned out like this when they had such a great time almost all day?

It was like they were back to awkward status all over again and it made Chanyeol’s heart clenched.

 

After Chanyeol left, Baekhyun crawled into his bed without even turning the lights of his room on. He stayed in the growing darkness of the late afternoon, thinking about everything he heard today. He felt like crying but hold it in. His last relationship had ed him up and now he was screwing a potential amazing lovestory. Deep inside, he knew Chanyeol was sincere and he wanted to give it a try but he was waiting for something. A sign, he needed a sign. He sighed heavily and turned himself. His eyes fell on the jar standing on his desk, it was half-full of folded pieces of paper and cute little colored objects.

He finally fell asleep with his phone in his hand. Some parts of him had expected to get a text from Chanyeol but the device remained sadly silent.

 
 
____________________________________________________________
[A/N] Hi everyone!! Really sorry for the late update! Work came into my life and made me less availaible.
Hope you'll like this update, well it's not very cheerful but yeah...
Welcome to the new subscribers! And thank you to wu_byun for the upvote ♥ !