Did You Think We'd Be Fine?

Band-Aids Don't Fix Bullet Holes

 

 

 

th 2015, 8:47AM, Chanyeol's apartment

One week later Chanyeol prepared to go back for another week at Exodus, new assignments were going to be given out, no exceptions. He ruffled is dark hair and took a deep breath, he wished for a local assignment; he hated to travel. Grabbing the keys out of the white ceramic bowl next to the door, he exited the apartment and met Kris outside.

“Hey,” Kris greeted.

“Hey,” Chanyeol responded, breathing in the muggy summer air.

“Ready for today?”

“Never, I always think I am. That's the worst part about the job...learning what you're about to do to someone,” he said, thinking about it as they walked towards Chanyeol's silver colored car.

The car ride was all a blur to him, the next thing he knew, he was standing outside the familiar glass doors waiting for the signal to enter the room. A chill ran down his spine, he watched Boss type on the tabletop computer vigorously, this wasn't good.

“What do you think it is?” Kris asked as they both watched him.

“I don't know, I can't tell,” Chanyeol responded, sighing deeply. Boss looked up and motioned them to come into his office. They opened the doors and stood in front of the computer desk. Chanyeol placed his palms on the cool glass, leaning.

Boss looked at his two agents and flicked a piece of fuzz off his black suit jacket “I did some more digging in the missing boy fiasco,” he began. For a brief moment, Chanyeol's eyes went wide; his worst fear was coming true.

“And?” Kris said folding his arms across his chest.

“Galaxy, leave. This is for Fire and myself,” he said. Kris raised an eyebrow and looked over at his friend. Chanyeol didn't look at him, he gave a nod and Kris slowly left the room, leaving the two alone.

“What is this about?” Chanyeol questioned.

Boss pressed a button on the computer and on the flat screens appeared the autopsy pictures of Diavolo's men. “I went through the photographs another time and noticed something astounding. These wounds are special, I've only seen one person in my lifetime kill and leave such a clean mark. Too bad he's dead, or so I thought” he said with a low and dark tone in his voice.

“Light's dead. It's not him,” Chanyeol said quickly, panic starting to rise within him.

Boss chuckled “Oh my dear boy, Light was always smart. His luck has run out,” he smirked as he brought up candid photos of Baekhyun on the streets of Seoul.

“He's alive,” Chanyeol said in fake disbelief, trying to play along.

“I sent some agents to investigate,” Boss said as he flipped through the pictures. Chanyeol's eyes scanned the pictures, his heart was in so much pain.

“Stop! Stop there,” Chanyeol said quickly, referring to one certain photograph. He walked closer to the television and looked close. It was a picture of Baekhyun walking down the street with a little boy holding his hand. “Who's the kid?” he asked.

The old man shrugged and rubbed his bottom lip with his finger “I'm guessing his kid.”

Kid...kid...KID? Chanyeol whipped his head around to look at his boss. “What does this have to do with me?” he asked.

“He's your next mission...kill him for treason,” Boss' voice with stricken with venom.

“Why me?”

“You know him like no one else, he was your partner. You know all his tricks.”

Chanyeol walked closer, trying to keep calm “It's been 8 years, can't we leave it alone?”

“No, that son of a made me look like a fool,” Boss growled, slamming his fist on the computer. Chanyeol clenched his fist and exhaled roughly.

“This is about your pride? What if I refuse?” he asked.

Boss slowly walked towards the tall assassin and looked into his angered eyes “Your parents are sitting at a small cafe in New York City, she's wearing a blue dress and a silver bracelet, he's reading the sports section in the New York Times. I have snipers positioned above them, waiting for my command. This is your choice; him or your family. Believe me... I will kill everyone you love.” he hissed.

Chanyeol's breathing became rapid, sweat beads began to form on his forehead, heart racing. “Fine,” he growled back.

“You have two weeks if you fail...I will kill you and them. You may leave.” Chanyeol looked down at the ground as he walked past Boss, roughly brushing the old man’s shoulder. Chanyeol started to shake as he walked out to the office, he ran his hand through his hair as he walked hurriedly. Kris grabbed him by the shoulders and looked at him.

“What happened? Are you ok?” he asked. Tears started to fall from Chanyeol's eyes, lower lip quivering.

“Baek-Baehyun,” he tried to say.

“He knows,” Kris put together.

“Get off me...get off me!” Chanyeol cried as he ran away, not looking back.

 May 4th 2015, 10:44AM, Chanyeol's car

 

Chanyeol let out another blood-curdling scream as he sat inside his car. His hands gripped the steering wheel tightly, knuckles turning white. He slammed his head against the headrest, screaming again. He broke down into a sob, he brought his hands up to face, rubbing his already swollen eyes.

He drove off in anger, he knew the people who were responsible for his whole mess. He smashed on the gas and looked down at the gun in the passenger side seat; Baekhyun might not be the only person he has to kill.

 Tires screeching to a halt, he looked at the quaint house rage within his eyes. He turned the car off and reached for the gun sitting next to him. Stuffing it inside the waistband of his dark gray sweatpants he got out of the car and walked towards the house, checking for anyone watching. 

He didn’t bother to knock on the door, he twisted the gold door knob and entered the home. Everything was quiet, Chanyeol questioned for a moment if anyone was home. A soft clunk sounded, Chaneyol’s large ears picked up the sound quickly. His anger returned as he reached for his gun, silently walking for the door to the kitchen. He gently opened it, seeing a petite blonde male picking up a fallen pot on the ground.

Chanyeol got closer and pointed the gun to his head, cocking it. “What the have you done?” Chanyeol seethed. The man turned around hands up in the air, looking at the taller man in shock.

“What are you talking about?”

“Don’t with me, Jiyong. This is all your fault!” Chanyeol yelled, shaking the gun. Jiyong looked up at him, face pink and puffy. He’d obviously been crying.

“Put the gun down, Chanyeol. Let’s talk about this before you do something stupid,” Jiyong reasoned, eyes shifting to the gun then back at Chanyeol. Chanyeol dropped the gun on the ground, taking a quick glance before pouncing on the man; hand firmly gripped around Jiyong’s thin throat.

Jiyong’s hand flew up to Chanyeol’s trying to rip him off. “He knows. He ing knows, Ji. I will never forgive you,” he angrily whispered.

“Knows…what?” Jiyong tried to speak.

“Boss. He knows Baekhyun is alive. It’s all your fault!” he screamed, letting go of Jiyong. Jiyong’s breathed heavily, rubbing his neck.

“I had no other choice but to call him.”

“That’s bull and you know it. I could have stepped in. he’s my ing godson.”

“He’s also Baek’s,” Jiyong growled, folding his arms over his chest.

“Boss told me to kill him. Or he’d kill my family,” he finally admitted.

Jiyong’s face softened, he never meant for any of this to happen. “Channie… I’m so sorry,” he said sympathetically, taking a step closer to the assassin.  Chanyeol took a step back, running his hand through his dark hair.

“That’s not the part I’m worried about,” he began, pointing a finger “Why did he tell me I had a son?” 

Jiyong looked down “He did.” Chanyeol cocked his head.

“No, he didn’t. Never a phone call, text, anything!”

“Maybe he would have if you didn’t go to London,” Jiyong seethed, lowering his eyes.

“It was a job! It paid well. I was going to get us out of Exodus.”

“Baek didn’t see it that way.”

“No! I don’t want to talk about this,” Chanyeol stopped him, holding his hand up.

Jiyong took a deep breath “What are you going to do? Are you actually going to go through with it?” he questioned.

“How can I? He had my child,” he sighed. Jiyong walked up to him and placed a hand on his arm.

“Do what you think is best.”

Chanyeol didn’t respond, instead, he picked up his gun and walked out. In the living room, he looked up at the staircase and saw a stronger looking Junhong. He stopped walking. “How are you?”

“Are you going to kill Baekhyun?” Junhong asked instead.

“I don’t know,” Chanyeol answered before walking out of the house.

Sehun's Room

Sehun sat in his bed, with a pouty face. Baekhyun sat next to him annoyed, his head rested against the headboard. “I’m not tired Appa,” Sehun pouted.

Baekhyun rolled his eyes “I know, but it’s almost 11 and you start your new school tomorrow.”

“On a Wednesday?”

“Don’t get smart with me. Sleep,” Baekhyun yawned, draping an arm over his son.  Sehun gave up and layed down on his plush pillow, cuddling up to his father.

“I love you Appa,” he yawned.

Baekhyun smiled as he closed his eyes “I love you too,” he told him.

All was silent in the house, Baekhyun was almost asleep when he heard a pot breaking in the backyard. He jolted and quickly got up off the bed. An eerie feeling in his gut, he walked out of Sehun’s room and opened the coat closet. He grabbed his spare bow and a single arrow. He stuck close to the white colored wall as he heard the French doors to the backyard open.

He breathed heavily, who the hell was seriously breaking into his home. He prepared his bow and arrow as he moved closer to the staircase. He looked down and his eyes opened wide, Chanyeol was entering his home. He also noticed the gun in his hand, someone had sent him. This was going to end badly for one of them.

He moved quickly, going down a few steps until he was directly across from his ex-husband “What the hell are you doing here?” he seethed. Chanyeol pointed his gun at him.

“Boss sent me,” he said.

Baekhyun rolled his eyes “Aww he didn’t send another low level to kill me again? How thoughtful,” he growled.

Baekhyun rose his bow towards him, unmoved. “Baekhyun’s I’m so sorry about this.” Chanyeol tried to say with compassion.

“Band-Aids don’t fix bullet holes, Chanyeol,” Baekhyun said before shooting his arrow. Chanyeol ducked and pulled out a knife from his sock and hurled it at Baekhyun. The shorter man jumped over the banister, running for his arrow that was in the wall. Chanyeol grabbed his ankle, making him trip. Baekhyun kicked him off and grabbed the arrow. They both stood up and locked eyes in a heated glare.

Chanyeol didn’t waste any time, he took another knife and lunged at his former lover. Baekhyun used his bow and blocked the knife. He let the bow go and tripped Chanyeol, sitting on top of him. He rose the arrow and tried stabbing Chanyeol in the face. Chanyeol quickly turned his hand and punched Baekhyun in the jaw, knocking him over.

The taller man cocked his gun and sat on top of Baekhyun. Holding his throat with one hand, he held the gun up to Baekhyun’s forehead. Baekhyun rose his arrow and tried to move. “Why didn’t you tell me?” Chanyeol asked.

“About what?” Baekhyun chocked out. Baekhyun tried to fight back again, this time knocking over a vase from the side table they were underneath.

“DADDY!” a scared voice rang out from upstairs. The men looked at each other in shock and then turned their attention to the top of the stairs. Chanyeol’s heart stopped as he released Baekhyun. That was his son’s voice. Baekhyun ran off immediately towards the stairs.

“Get out,” Baekhyun angrily told him. Chanyeol sat there frozen, he heard his son for the first time. He watched Baekhyun disappear into the upstairs hallway. He had to see him, just once. He stood up and silently and made his way up the stairs. He looked down the hallway, 4 doors. He assumed his sons was the opened door.

He peeked into the room and saw Baekhyun console the black haired boy “What was that Appa?” Sehun asked.

“Nothing Sehun. I knocked over a vase. It’s ok. I’m here,” Baekhyun spoke, holding him tighter.

 Chanyeol looked at his son, he was so beautiful, he looked just like them. He turned away and started to leave the house “Sehun,” he whispered to himself.

May 5th 2015, 12:30AM

 

Chanyeol arrived back to his apartment, his heart aching. He looked at the door, there was a sticky note “13” written in Sharpie. He had 13 more days. How was he going to kill the love of his life?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chanyeol sat in a pile of papers in his office. He dug through a box labeled “London” Jiyong talked about London when he mentioned the kid. If Baekhyun really did tell Chanyeol, it would have been during the mission to London. He looked at all the papers; there was nothing relating to Baekhyun. “,” he breathed, laying more papers in his lap. “Nothing, nothing…nothing,” he repeated as he flipped through more paperwork.

He checked the box one last time, inside there was a small black flip phone at the bottom. He picked it up and ran his long fingers down the scraped back of the phone. He flipped it open and pressed the red button to turn it on. He searched through the call log and found a few from Baekhyun. He remembered those. At the top there was a voice mail icon. He raised an eyebrow and listened to the voice mails.

“Chanyeol, baby please. What’s going on?”

“Chanyeol it’s been a months now. Have you killed him yet?”

“Hey…call me.”

Chanyeol noticed Baekhyun’s cheery tone turn sad.

“Chanyeol, I’m visiting my mother this week. I’ll tell her you’re doing well. Are you?”

“Chanyeol… iare you ok?”

“Hey Honey! I miss you, please call me soon!”

“Channie…it’s Baek! How’s London!”

“…There’s something I need to tell you. I wanted to wait until you got home to tell you. But I guess your mission is taking longer than we thought. Chanyeol, I’m pregnant. I’m having your baby. ”

 

 

Chanyeol’s eyes opened wide, he threw the phone across the room and backed up against the wall. “Oh my god,” he whispered. His eyes started to water, it’s been 8 years. He stood up quickly and grabbed his gun; he had to kill him before emotions truly set in.