I Was Thinking You Could Be Trusted

Band-Aids Don't Fix Bullet Holes

WARNING: THIS CHAPTER CONTAINS SOME BACK STORY AND HEAVY KRISYEOL FRIENDSHIP FEELS!

Oh my goodness you guys! 465 subscribers, I am truly greatful that you all took the time to read my story, I love you all so much Thank you!

(please excuse the typos its 4AM and I'm too tired to properly edit T.T)

~*~

April 27th, 3:49AM, Rome

Chanyeol layed against the old stone, panting. His heart and mind racing rapidly in a contest with each other. His heart swelled with the image of the former assassin 'he hasn't aged,' he thought with a small chuckle. His head pounded from the headbutt, he reached up and seethed as he came up and touched the wound. His fingers became warm with the crimson blood. He rubbed it on his black pants and began to stand up. He reached into his pocket and pulled out the black burner phone. He angrily dialed a number and put it against his ear, walking away from the door.

Hello,” a hushed voice answered.

Why the was he here?” he asked, teeth clenched.

He was my only option.”

If your kid was kidnapped you could have told me TOP! Baekhyun is supposed to be dead to the world. Seriously...what the hell?” Chanyeol ranted, opening the door to the main floor. Before Seunghyun could answer he looked down the hallway and saw the bodies of Diavolo's men laying motionless on the cold floor.

I promised you I'd keep him safe... and he is. Diavolo would have sold Zelo for his body and blood, I needed Baek,” Seunghyun whispered.

Ice his face... I have to perform damage control,” Chanyeol said, exhaling loudly. He hung up the phone and began to dial another number and he stood above Baekhyun's first victim. Chanyeol looked at the clean cut to the man's throat 'Nice Baek,' he thought, admiring his ex-husbands work. 

Fire, how's the perimeter?” Galaxy asked as he answered the phone.

Uh... good. What's Diavolo's eta?” he asked, he pinned the small black phone in between his shoulder and ear. He grabbed the man’s collar and started to drag him towards the hall closet.

He'll be at your location in 20 minutes, is there a problem?” he asked.

No,no, no, I'm just wondering, see you soon,” Chanyeol replied quickly, hanging up the phone. He silently prayed there weren't too many bodies. He dragged the rather large man towards the closet behind the large desk, he started to groan as he gripped the mans collar tightly. Once he made it to the closet, he dropped the man with a soft thud and opened the closet door. He thin man kicked the gangster inside and left the door open. He repeated this process 5 more times on this one floor.

Chanyeol leaned up against the wall and breathed heavily “15 more minutes,” he panted out loud as he checked his watch. With his foot against the wall he pushed off and walked into the direction of the staircase, he opened the white steel door and looked down at the 4 bodies lying their lifeless and bloody “Son of a ,” he cursed with a heavy sigh. He started the process over again and dragged their bodies to the closet one by one.

Afterwards, he ran up the stairs to the room where they were keeping the boy, two more bodies layed there “Are you kidding me Baekhyun?” he groaned, placing his hands on his hips. He looked around the area, there was no closet. He chewed on his bottom lip for a moment as he thought, here was a window. He quickly ran over to the window and looked down, right down below there was an open dumpster, he opened the window and ran back for the bodies.

He made the mental note to go to the gym more often as he gripped the two men, one in each hand, dragging them towards the window. Letting them go, he picked up the lighter man and threw him out the opened window. The other man was more of a struggle, looking like a tan Augustus Gloop. His muscles shook as he struggled to lift the fat henchman off the ground.

Come on Big Boy,” he said to the dead man as he lifted him onto the ledge, his torso slamming into Chanyeol's thin frame. He pushed back against him and roughly shoved him out the window. Chanyeol leaned out and saw the body land into the dumpster, hearing the clunking sounds of the trash bags inside the metal container.

He came back inside and shut the window, resting the back of his head against the cool glass, he needed just one moment to breathe. Of course, he couldn't, his phone started to vibrate and ring inside of his pants pocket.

Diavolo's out front, you need to be out here,” Kris instructed. Chanyeol quickly started to walk back towards the front door.

I'll be there in 30 seconds, how many men are with him?” Chanyeol asked as he quickly descended the staircase.

Four, hurry,” Kris answered in a hushed tone before quickly hanging up the phone. The frantic dark haired man looked down at the floor, there was a lot of blood. He groaned and ran to find a rag in the closet. He pushed past the bodies and grabbed a large dark towel and a jug of bleach. He hastily opened the cap and poured the bleach all over the floor. He layed the towel down and with his feet, he quickly cleaned up the blood. After he heard the roar of a car engine he stashed the towel and jug back into the closet and put on a game face.

He walked outside and came face to face with his tall friend standing in front of the classic black Rolls Royce. He gave Kris a nod, signaling him that everything was alright. Kris walked over to his friend and watched as all four doors open. Four young men got out first, they were assassins, but the looked completely opposite to the two Asian men, these Italian were dressed for a ball in their fancy dark suits. They held their machine guns tightly as Diavolo got out of the car.

Diavolo looked as scary as he sounded, the man stood about 5'6 and looked about 300 pounds, his burly chest hair bulged out of his cream colored button up. He wore a black pin-striped suit and matching Fedora hat. His gold jewelry was worn proudly on his neck and all ten fingers.

Gentlemen, I trust my valuables were taken care of in my absence?” he questioned in English, his thick Italian accent prominent.

Of course, everything went smoothly” Kris spoke, knowing the most English.

Well then, the plane is ready for my departure, I need the boy. Let's go,” he said as he and his men walked into the building. Kris started to walk behind him but was held back by Chanyeol. Exodus and Diavolo had the mutual agreement of speaking English while in each others company...Chanyeol didn't mind bending the rules.

Galaxy, there's something I need to tell you,” Chanyeol whispered in Korean as he gripped Kris' dark gray jacket.

Fire, not now,” he said back as he dragged Chanyeol. The Chinese man shook his arm, attempting to shake him off. Chanyeol let go and moved his gun to back pocket.

The boy isn't there,” Chanyeol said. Kris' eyes went wide and his head snapped to look at him. Kris looked forward at Diavolo, making sure he wasn't looking.

What do you mean 'he's not there' Fire?”

Someone rescued him.”

We're ed.”

We have to kill him, if not him then us.”

Boys, is everything ok?” Diavolo asked them, bringing them out of the conversation. They all reached the floor which Zelo was previously held.

We're just fine,” Kris reassured as he watched one of the gangsters open the door. Chanyeol's worry grew with each step towards the door. His poor heart was beating rapidly. Inside his head he cursed Baekhyun's good heart and Seunghyun's .

Diavolo put on a frightening grin as he turned the door handle to the room Chanyeol dreaded the most. He watched as the man's expression turned from sick and sadistic to sheer rage “What the ?” he nearly screamed as he stormed into the empty room, his men walked in and saw the dead gangster lying on the ground.

Someone took the kid!” One of them said to Diavolo.

Ah man, not Antonio! He made the best pasta,” another one groaned in sorrow as he looked down at the guy. Diavolo reached for his pistol and looked at the two Asians.

Who did it?” he seethed.

We didn't do anything,” Chanyeol said, putting his hands up. Well... he was telling the truth. Kris stood unmoved and unafraid of this man who kills children for fun. Chanyeol was all hard out the outside, but on the inside was scared to death.

These ing chinks think they can pull a fast one on me,” Diavolo chuckled, running his fat pointer finger along the barrel of his gun.

What did you just call us?”

You heard me. Fire was your name right?. Tell your boss that our partnership is over,” he told him, raising his gun. Kris reached behind his back and pulled out his two pistols, shooting two of the gangsters in the chest.

This bought Chanyeol two seconds to pull out his gun and shoot the other two on his left. The tall men then pointed their guns at their leader, rage clearly in their brown eyes. Diavolo for a moment looked worried. The sounds of guns cocking echoed in the small room.

Let me tell you something,” Chanyeol began, putting two hands on his gun, “you kidnapped a thirteen year old boy, plotting to sell his blood and body. You are a sick son of a that deserves to die.”

Now let me tell you something, Kid,” Diavolo's soul-destroying voice started “You shoot me, you have a whole Mob on your .” Kris rolled his eyes, Diavolo was a low-level guy compared to some of the other mob members.

Jesus Christ, can we stop talking,” Kris muttered, displeased as he shot Diavolo in the head. Crimson blood started to spill from his forehead before collapsing onto the floor “ that felt good.”

Chanyeol dropped his weapon and leaned against the wall “Boss is going to kill me,” he sighed.

We did him a favor. We got the back...that was our real job,” Kris told him as he put his guns back in his back pockets. “Plus you're a smooth talker and he listens to you.”

Chanyeol hoped and prayed Boss would believe him and not question who actually did it a great deal.

We should get these bodies out of the way,” Chanyeol stated, looking at the 5 bodies on the ground.

Nah, clean up isn't my style. I'll call the cleanup crew,” Kris smirked, pulling out his phone.


 

Two days later, the two were back in Seoul after their mission in Rome, Kris was overjoyed with his growing body count whereas Chanyeol dreaded the bodies found at the site. Chanyeol sat on a metal bench inside the locker room at Exodus, waiting to follow up with Kris and Boss. He tried to prepare what to say, but it never stuck with him. 'Baekhyun is dead, Baekhyun is gone,' he thought, trying to put false memories in his head. He placed his head in his hands, leaning forward, he wasn't ready for this.

You ready, Fire?” Kris called from the metal doorway. Chanyeol looked up and slowly nodded. He stood up and made his way over to his friend.

Let's get this over with,” he sighed heavily and started walking towards Boss' office.

We did such a such a good job, he'll make us partners,” Kris laughed jokingly, patting Chanyeol's shoulder playfully. Chanyeol looked next to him, pissed.

I don't do partners, Galaxy,” he hissed, walking faster to get away from him. Kris rubbed his head and caught up to him.

I was joking, calm down,” Kris told him.

Don't a look calm?” Chanyeol questioned, pointing at his not so calm face.

Is that a trick question?” he asked. Chanyeol cocked his head in annoyance and rounded the corner. “You have nothing to worry about.”

'The love of my life stole from the Italian Mob... nothing to worry about,' he thought as he looked ahead at the glass doors at the end of the hallway.

The two men entered the room and were met with a satisfied smirk on their boss' face. “Galaxy, Fire,” he greeted.

The mission was completed, I hope you received the file,” Chanyeol informed him.

I did, good work out there,” he smiled. Chanyeol was able to relax for a moment.

But you two heads realize I have the Italian Mob all over my ! That boy was money,” Boss' cheer voice turned dark again as he brought up pictures of a weak and beat up Junhong on one of the flat screens on the wall. Chanyeol could only imagine how must have felt. His guilt was replaced by anger in an instant.

That kid was not our mission, we got your ing drugs back. Whatever happened to that kid was not on us,” Chanyeol ranted, his voice getting louder. Kris took a step back, he didn't want to get in the middle of what was about to happen.

Don't raise your voice at me!” Boss yelled.

Then don't put that on me!” Chanyeol hissed, banging his fist on the computer table, changing the photo to one of the crates of .

Galaxy, I need to talk to Fire alone. Leave,” Boss instructed sternly, placing his hands on his hips. Kris nodded quickly, exiting the room. Boss and Chanyeol didn't notice him crack the door and hide near the door so he could hear.

Boss sighed calmly and brought up a series of photographs of all the men Baekhyun killed that night. Chanyeol kept his angry poker face as he looked at the photographs. “What is this about?” Chanyeol questioned.

Did you kill all of these men?” Boss questioned.

No.”

This is work is clean,” Boss examined the wounds on all the autopsy photos. “Too clean for the Italians.”

What are you implying?” Chanyeol asked, getting straight to the point.

I've only seen clean work on all kills from one person at Exodus...and he's dead. Am I right, Fire?” Boss explained. Son of a really thought Baekhyun did it. He did, but Boss wasn't supposed to know.

Light? You've got to be kidding, he's dead!” Chanyeol's rage was increasing.

Light was the only one capable of this.”

He's dead! Light is gone. You're ed up to think that!” he screamed. Boss started to chuckle sadistically as he watched Chanyeol's face turn red with anger, he knew Baekhyun was a trigger to Chanyeol.

That's all I needed, you can leave,” Boss shut off the computer and shooed the young man with his wrinkled hand. Chanyeol exhaled angrily as he turned to leave. He walked out of the office only to be slammed against the wall.

What the , Galaxy?” he hissed as he tried to push back on his friends' large hands. Kris grabbed him by the collar and dragged him to another hallway, away from Boss' office.

That's what I want to know, Fire,” Kris whispered angrily.

What are you talking about?”

I heard everything, he mentioned Light,” Kris admitted, releasing the grip on Chanyeol. Chanyeol pushed him away and started to walk off. “No, stop walking away. If anyone mentions Light you freak the out. I want answers,” Kris seethed, tired of lies from Chanyeol.

I don't do-”

Back story, I know,” Kris finished for him.“Why did he mention Light? I thought he was dead?”

Not here, Galaxy,” Chanyeol said, trying to get him to calm down.

You'll finally give me answers?” Kris asked.

Yes. Tomorrow morning, 10 am, coffee shop across the street of my place,” Chanyeol instructed simply before walking off. What the hell did he just do?

That night, Chanyeol sat on his couch with a bottle of Peppermint Vodka in his hand. He swirled the clear liquid in the bottle as he thought about seeing Baekhyun. He always imagined reuniting with his lover in the most romantic setting...not them trying to kill each other. Aside from the swelling, he looked so beautiful. He hoped he was eating and sleeping well. He figured by the way Baek attacked him, there had to be hatred there' he didn't blame him.

He took another large drink of the vodka and leaned back against the cool material of his couch. He was now looking up at the white ceiling and questioning Seunghyun and Jiyong's promises. “They were supposed to keep him safe, not hurt him,” he said out loud. He hoped Junhong was safe, hopefully not scared. He needed to know. He sat the bottle down and reached for his cell phone, clicking a few buttons before bringing it up to his ear.

Hello?” a light voice answered. Jiyong, he identified.

It's me,” he said.

Chanyeol... how are you?” he asked, making typical conversation.

I'm ok. I called because I wanted to know if Zelo was doing alright?”

He could hear Jiyong sigh “He's alright, still skittish but he's doing much better. Thank you for asking Channie,” Jiyong said with relief in his voice. Chanyeol bit his lip before asking.

How is..”

He's fine, Chanyeol. Safe and under the radar,” Jiyong replied, knowing who Chanyeol was implying.

Thank you,. I'll let you get some sleep. Goodnight Ji,” Chanyeol said before hanging up. The man took one more long drink before heading off to bed, mentally prepping himself for tomorrow morning.

The next morning he was sitting across from his friend at the small cafe across the street. The two men sat there for several minutes, sipping the coffee out of their ceramic white cups, avoiding the subject of their meeting. Kris leaned back in his seat, clutching the coffee cup, looking across of his hungover friend.

So, about you and Light?” he started, not knowing where to start. Chanyeol leaned back and crossed his legs.

What do you want to know?”

Everything, no lies, no secrets, no half truths,” Kris told him, putting the cup down, a small drop of black coffee landing on the baby pink table cloth.


 

Chanyeol took a deep breath and began his story with one important fact “Light and I were partners since we were 18...he wasn't just my partner at Exodus,” he started. Kris raised an eyebrow and leaned forward, motioning his to continue.

He was my husband, I was and still am in love with him,” he finally admitted, a huge weight lifted off his chest.

You married Light?” Kris questioned rather loudly. Chanyeol shushed him and looked around for other people watching.

His name is Baekhyun, he was the light of my life,” Chanyeol smiled a little.

When did you start working for Exodus?”

I started a year after Light. He started at 15, he was recruited personally by Boss after he saw him shoot a bow and arrow. I was the pretty face that knew how to work a gun.”

When did you become partners?”

Boss thought it was a good idea for us two become partners at 18...”

The two 18 year olds stood in front of boss, wondering why they were summoned

Boys,” he started with a smile “You two are the pride and joy of my Exodus...my star assassins. You both are very strong, but I believe you will be unstoppable as a team,” he proposed.

The two looked at each other, Chanyeol was all for the idea, Baekhyun wasn't. Baekhyun thought Chanyeol was all talk and could barely keep himself alive in the field.

How did you get together?” Kris asked, wiggling his thick eyebrows, highly interested by their relationship.

I tried asking him out for months... I always thought he didn't like me. He always had an excuse, then again I always used a really bad pick up line,” Chanyeol laughed, “I was stupid.”

Light,” Chanyeol said as he leaned against the archers locker inside Exodus. An irritated Baekhyun shut his locker and looked up at the giant with a flirty smirk on his derpy face.

Can I help you?” he asked, irritation noticeable. Chanyeol took his hand off the locker and dropped the act.

Look, Since we're partners now... I really want to take you out on a date,” he said.

How many times do I have to tell you no?”

Please...just one, then if you don't like it I will get reassigned,” Chanyeol begged.

You begged him?” Kris started to laugh, making Chanyeol roll his eyes.

Hey! He said yes,” Chanyeol laughed back.

Ok ok, how did you propose?”

Chanyeol smiled, it was a simple proposal, away from Exodus, just them. Baekhyun and Chanyeol not Light and Fire.

I took him to the beach, it was his favorite place. I said some mushy words and popped out a silver ring,” Chanyeol explained, leaving all the details to himself, he cherished them all.


 

The wedding was very small, I didn't want a formal ceremony... Baek insisted, I looked horrible in a suit,” Chanyeol started to ramble, not that Kris minded. Kris thought Chanyeol needed to talk about Baekhyun, all the anger that Chanyeol had when anyone mentioned his old partner was gone, he was all smiles.

How...why did you get divorced?” Kris asked. The smile was gone, a look of sorrow and agony showed. Kris' heart hurt for his friend.

I-I don't want to talk about it,” Chanyeol answered lowly, barely audible as he hung his head low.

Kris reached across the table and held Chanyeol's bony hand “Hey. You must have loved him a lot and he loved you two if you guys were partners for so long. I'm sorry about what happened,” Kris told him apologetically, rubbing his thumb against the back of Chanyeol's hand.

Chanyeol looked up at him and gave a weak smile 'He's safe... no one can hurt him.'

~*~

I hope you all enjoyed the chapter! Now I can't give the whole plot away and what happened between Baek and Channie just yet! But Don't worry it's about to unfold in the next chapter...