Chapter 9

Alright, Deal

 

 

 

Sulli's POV

 

 

 

Among the many things that the Kryber pair are good at, keeping their emotions to themselves is arguably their best skill yet. Speaking as their second best friend, I can vouch for this with absolute certainty.

 

I wouldn’t outright call them robots, but there is enough evidence to suggest that they prefer to keep their feelings contained. That excludes themselves, of course. They tell everything to each other. I mean I wouldn’t be surprised if those two know the number of eyebrow hairs the other has on them.

 

However, it’s a little more complicated if the problem is concerned with the other. Usually, I’ll be the idiot in the middle struggling to hide one secret or more from one, or both of them.

 

I’ve been keeping Krystal’s secret for a little more than two years now and that’s been a struggle in itself. Not only do I have to live with the weight of how much it has affected the youngest Jung, but I’ve also had to (still am) keep it from one of most important person in her life.

 

After last Thursday, when Amber had left the lantern festival with a muddled excuse, I was instantly smacked in the face with a strong sense of déjà vu. As I’ve been way too obsessed with my wedding plans to have been paying attention to anything else, I didn’t want to jump to conclusions. Yet, I couldn’t help but feel iffy about the way her eyes were oddly dim even under the dazzling lights surrounding her.

 

~

 

“So early? I thought we were all gonna grab some food after this.”

 

The blonde felt around her coat pockets and took out her car keys, all the while having not met my eyes since she approached me.

 

“Uh, yeah. Any other day I would love to but I’m just really exhausted. Coach added some extra drills today, you know with the game coming up and all.” She sighed tiredly, handing the keys to me, “Tell the sisters I’m sorry and make sure Yuri gets them home safe. I'll take an uber home or something.

 

Her gaze were trained on a particular twosome not too far away. She had on a smile that I was familiar with but couldn’t figure out exactly where I had seen it last.

 

“They’re cute, huh? I’m thinking Jongstal as a ship name but that’s weird cuz it sounds like Jonghyun and Krystal. Kaistal maybe. Yeah, that sounds way better.” I wondered out loud as I watched the new couple awkwardly but cutely interact with each other. 

 

Amber replied with a low hum. 

 

I raised an eyebrow at this, “You’re eerily accepting of this. Where’s that elusive baseball bat of yours that you keep threatening everybody with?” I joked.

 

That seemed to snap her out of whatever daydream she was in and she finally looked at me straight in the eyes. It was in that moment that I instantly recognized where I have seen that smile from.

 

It was the same smile Krystal always has when Amber announces that she’s dating someone again.

 

Forced.

 

“It’s time I loosened the reigns a tad, I suppose. The girl’s beautiful. It was only a matter of time.” Amber shrugged and began to walk away, but before she did she added one last thought, “Hey, at least now I only have one boy to worry about.”

 

~

 

Again, I shouldn’t jump the gun and try to meddle in something that likely isn’t even there. 

 

Besides, everybody seems to be perfectly fine. 

 

The hype surrounding Kryber’s ‘break-up’ was gradually being buried under all the other stupid gossip that have emerged since. The pair in question also have reverted back to their usual selves unlike the awkward, fake couple they were trying to pull off for the past few weeks. 

 

Krystal and her new boyfriend have been spending a lot of time together too, but the whole dating thing was still under wraps for now until such time it was appropriately long enough after Kryber’s breakup to not raise eyebrows. Disregarding that one moment last week and her behavior in general during the whole dating Krystal thing, even Amber was back to being her normal idiot self.

 

Presently, as I sat a row behind Krystal on the bleachers, I was content at seeing how much being with Kai has made her the happiest she’s been in awhile. Ever since that night at the festival, it was like a major burden was lifted from her and it showed in how she frowned less these days. 

 

I was probably just as happy as she was. For the longest time I worried that she would never be able to move on.

 

I stretched my foot to nudge her back.

 

“Yah! Princess Jung! The first rule about dating is to not ignore the rest of the world.”

 

The girl in front blatantly continued to ignore me and didn’t stop texting on her phone. 

 

To whom, I can only guess.

 

“So how is it anyway? You’re awfully quiet about everything.”

 

“It and everything what?” She murmured, fingers flying over the touchscreen.

 

I nudged her again a little harder this time, “Dating. Kai’s your first ever boyfriend and you’re totally chill about it. What gives?” 

 

She shrugged, “I don’t know. I mean I'm starting to really like him but I’m not crazy about him. Yet.”

 

“Honey. I’ve seen you be more excited about a new pair Blanc & Eclare sunglasses. You’re seriously not even a little excited?”

 

“Just because I’m not all giggly about it doesn’t mean I’m not excited Sulli. I’m just reacting the way I normally do. Dating a boy doesn’t change who I am.” She rolled her eyes.

 

“Oh right, I forgot that you’re so cool and chic that not even a new boy-toy can cramp your style.” I snorted, then looked out into the field when I heard a commotion.

 

There was an argument between two teammates and in the middle of it was the ever so even-tempered llama trying to calm them down. Krystal was watching the scene as well with a slightly concerned expression and I felt the need to ask.

 

“You wouldn’t happen to still be…..” I hesitated, hoping she’d catch my drift.

 

Her body instantly stiffened but she relaxed a second later. She looked up to the field again.

 

Amber looked like she was trying to explain to them about something and surprisingly, the two bickering teammates had stopped fighting and were even attentive to her words, albeit reluctantly.

 

Krystal said seriously, “Of course I still am. It’ll take some time, but at least now I know that I tried.” The argument looked like it had been settled and everybody went back to their training. Amber looked beat as she ran a hand through her sweaty locks, “At least now I’m not deluded with hope.”

 

The blonde turned around just in time to see Krystal watching her. She winked and made an obnoxious kissy face.

 

Krystal responded by sticking out her tongue then looked down to resume her texting.

 

So yeah. Everything seems to be okay and back to normal.

 

 

 

But…..

 

 

 

If I really had to put my two cents in…..

 

 

 

 

Maybe a little too normal.

 

 

 


 

 

Amber’s POV

 

 

 

“Arghhhhh!” 

 

“Oh my baby I’ve missed you so much!”

 

“Let go Jackie, you’re hurting the poor girl.”

 

The hold around me was relinquished then almost immediately I was lifted off the ground and pulled into an even tighter embrace.

 

“Ow! Ow! Stop stop stop! Okay. I miss you both too but please put me down. I think I heard a rib crack.” I was dropped to my feet and I nursed my ribs pitifully.

 

Donghae walked passed us while rubbing his arm, “You got off easily. I have bruises all over my arms.”

 

Yuri’s head appeared from the kitchen, “Me too. Can’t say I’m mad though, I wish my parents would hug me like that once in awhile.”

 

“Yeah me three! I’m reporting you guys for children abuse!” Key yelled from the living room.

 

The large man in front of me huffed and crossed his arms. 

 

“I haven’t seen my kids in three weeks I’m allowed to hug you all to death if I want to.” He frowned at his choice of words and the woman beside him smacked the back of his head.

 

“You know what I meant.”

 

“Word.” Donghae and I said at the same time and I headed to the kitchen to grab a snack.

 

So….. now that all of my kids are home, tell me everything that we missed! And don’t spare a single detail. How’s things at school? Do you all have new girlfriends? Who’s president now?” My mom gushed, hoping onto the bar stool and resting her chin on her hands like a schoolgirl.

 

I chuckled amusedly, “Mom chill, nothing’s changed. You act like you’ve been gone for a year.”

 

“Oh God it feels like it.” She said dramatically and clamped her hand over her eyes. 

 

“Here she goes again!” My dad groaned.

 

“Your aunty Jung and I could only handle those two men for so long. I swear this trip has reverted your father and uncle to a bunch of twenty-year old college frat boys. No offense Donghae.” Mom patted my brother who was seated beside her.

 

“None taken. Continue.” 

 

“I mean you would think a night of fun here and there would be enough but no they were partying almost every other day! God knows what beach your father would have washed up on if I hadn’t pulled his drunken arse all the way back to the chalet.”

 

“Wait. You managed to drag that all the way to your hotel?” I said, referring to my father’s rather built form. 

 

“Of course not. I tipped a few attendants to do that for me.”

 

“Which I’m still mad at you for. The hotel staff couldn’t keep a straight face whenever they saw me after that incident.” My dad glared at her petulantly.

 

“You’re welcome for not letting the water drag you into the sea to drown.” Dad didn’t argue but was mimicking her under his breath. Mom's eyes narrowed into slits at that and my dad looked a little afraid of her for a moment.

 

“My parents remind me so much of two other people that I can’t seem to remember the names of.” Donghae was shaking his head.

 

Yuri nodded her head, “I agree. Totally can’t recall who they remind me of though.” She said and they both turned to look at me with matching smirks.

 

I looked at them weirdly and backed away, “Okay, I’m gonna take a break from you weirdos and head to my room. I’ve got a friend coming over to finish a project so I’d appreciate it if this family can try to act normal when she comes.”

 

Ooooh it’s a her. It’s Krystal isn’t it? We already know she’s coming for the barbecue later, honey.” My mother said.

 

“What barbecue?”

 

“Oh, right. Sorry, it slipped my mind for a bit. The Jung’s are coming over later for dinner. It’s the first Friday of the month remember? Our monthly dinner is due.” Dad reminded me.

 

“You guys spent three weeks on a tiny island together, aren’t you sick of each other yet?” I said incredulously.

 

“We have some business to discuss so kill two birds and all. Anyway, I’m just sick of your uncle and father. Mostly your father.” My mother was smiling sweetly at him and he returned it with an equally saccharine grin.

 

I sighed and grabbed a bag of cheetos on my way out, “Bunch of crazies. Maybe I can convince Suzy I’m housing the homeless for charity.”

 

 

 


 

 

“You found anything yet?”

 

The girl sitting on my desk chair swiveled around to show me her laptop screen, which had more than half of the page filled with content.

 

I whistled, “Good job! I almost feel sorry that you ended up getting stuck with me, but you’re the smartest partner I’ve ever been assigned to so I’m not that sorry.” I smirked and she playfully stuck out her tongue at me.

 

I’ll admit that I assumed working with Suzy would be awkward as hell, now that I know of her feelings and her always being so shy around me, but it didn’t take long for her to loosen up and talk to me like how she normally does with everyone else. In the last hour, she’s showed me more of her personality than she has in the last few years. We actually got along really well. 

 

Which was….. nice.

 

“What’re you having trouble with? It can’t be that bad.”

 

I turned my laptop around to show her my progress. 

 

“You really hate history do you?” She deadpanned, looking at the two lines that I’ve written.

 

“No. History hates me.”

 

She rolled her eyes but she was smiling. She got up to walk over to where I was lounging on my bed and sat beside me. 

 

“Aww, poor you. If you opened your textbook once in awhile, maybe it won’t hate you so much.” She said and started typing on my computer.

 

“I’ll try that sometime.” I hummed, my eyes shifting to observe her. 

 

She was pretty, I’m not going to doubt that. 

 

Am I attracted to her though? 

 

Well….. I’m not sure.

 

I’m still not over Krystal and I don’t know how long before I’ll be able to feel anything for anyone else. 

 

Damnit. 

 

I was doing so good not thinking about her for the past hour and now she’s all I can think about again.

 

Repress. Repress. Repress.

 

“Done. I’ve outlined some key points for you so that your search is narrowed down. Your welcome.” I snapped back to the present and looked up to meet Suzy’s smiling face that was very close to mine.

 

Maybe I am attracted to her.

 

She could help me forget.

 

The door burst open at that moment and Krystal casually walked in, “Llama-face get your downstairs you’re wanted at the grill.” She said and stopped short at seeing our positions.

 

Suzy removed herself from my side and started to pack her things.

 

“I should leave. We did quite a lot in one hour.” She widened her eyes and added hastily, “For the project I mean.”

 

“Relax Suzy, Amber and I aren't dating anymore. I wouldn't have cared if you guys did anything non-project-related.” Krystal teased, although she did cross her arms and raise an eyebrow at me when Suzy wasn’t looking.

 

‘Did you though?’ Her eyes were asking.

 

‘Do you always assume that I’m sleeping with every girl that I bring into my room.’ I made a face.

 

‘I don’t know what you’re like with your girlfriends.’ She made the same face.

 

‘That’s because you never wanna know.’

 

She didn’t respond.

 

Suzy stuffed the last of her notes into her bag and turned to us.

 

“Right. So I’ll see you guys in school?” She smiled politely and I followed her out of my room.

 

“How’re you getting home?” I asked.

 

“I’ll just order an Uber.” She said and took out her phone.

 

We hadn’t reached the bottom of the stairs yet and I could already hear a plate breaking from out back at the patio.With my earlier thoughts lingering at the forefront of my mind, I hesitated a little before asking.

 

“Do you wanna stay for dinner? I don’t think you’ve eaten and I'll be more than happy to give you a ride home after that.” Even as my words came out firm, my mind was questioning my motives.

 

What am I doing?

 

“Oh thank you but I’ll be intruding….” She bit her lip, fiddling with the straps of her bag.

 

“You won’t be. I want you here.” I smiled at her earnestly and she ducked her head, “Come on. It’s rude to turn down an invitation.” I held her hand and pulled her further inside the house, pass Krystal who was silently watching our exchange, "Hope you like barbecue."

 

And I hope I know what I'm doing.

 

 

 


 

 

“Are you two dating?” I jumped at the sudden whisper at my ear and almost dropped the pair of tongs that I was holding.

 

“Excuse me! Operating very hot machinery here!” I exclaimed, waving the cooking utensil at my mother.

 

“Sorry honey, but don’t digress. Is Suzy your new girlfriend? Oh, I’m so glad. Way better than that Irene girl in my opinion. Spoilt little thing.” She clicked her tongue, watching my project partner conversing animatedly with Donghae. Then she leaned over, “She’s prettier too. You know, she kind of resembles Krystal if you look at her at certain angles-”

 

“Mom. If I had a new girlfriend I would’ve said something.” I interrupted her before she could get carried away.

 

“You haven’t asked her out yet? What are you waiting for?”

 

“I- ugh, mom she’s just a friend. She doesn’t have a ride home so I offered to send her back after dinner. That’s all.”

 

“Dos she not like you back?”

 

“Who does not like you back?” Dad asked as he came up to us, “You mean your new friend? But she hasn’t taken her eyes off of you for more than two seconds.” 

 

“Jesus! Can I not cook in peace?” I shoved the pair of tongs to my father and walked off to plonk myself on a pool chair. I ran my hands over my face and sighed.

 

“Don’t do that. Your face will sag.” A weight leaned itself against my side, and fingers were pinching my cheeks.

 

“There’s always botox.” I grunted, “Ow, watch it!” 

 

Krystal released my cheeks and soothed it with her thumb. 

 

“Sorry.” She didn’t sound it.

 

Her body moved closer to mine, almost pushing me off the chair as she propped her chin with her palm. She had very little make-up on and at such close proximity, her naturally beauty was blinding to my mere mortal eyes.

 

Repress. Repress. Repress.

 

“What’s up with you and Suzy?”

 

I groaned, pushing her face away from me. For one or more reasons.

 

“Don’t go there. Please. Mom and dad are all over my case about it and if word spreads, your parents will be joining them soon.”

 

“But you do like her don’t you? If I hadn’t barged in just now God knows what you two would have gotten up to.”

 

“I don’t……” I stopped myself and looked at her defiantly, “What if I do like her? Will you stop bugging me if I said yes?”

 

She grinned, “Or maybe you’re just jealous of me and Kai.”

 

I spluttered, choking on my spit, “Jealous of what exactly?”

 

REPRESS. REPRESS. REPRESS.

 

The object of my heart palpitations leaned into my face that her I could feel her breath on my nose. 

 

‘Yeah, yeah we know. REPRESS.’ My brain and heart said in accordance.

 

A poke to my cheek, “You’re jealous of us because now you’re the third wheel for once.”

 

“I don’t mind. There’s a first for everything.” I breathed, my voice surprisingly steady.

 

The thought that our lips would meet if I just moved an inch forward made my head almost combust with want. There was a split second where I imagined my hands grabbing onto the back of her neck and pulling her in for a heavy make-out that would last until our lungs gave out.

 

Oh God. Why did I find that so hot. 

 

I’ve done that a gajillion and one times with other girls, and some even more than that, but I’ve never felt a desire overwhelm me so intensely. 

 

The next moment, the doorbell rang.

 

“I’ll get it!” Krystal shouted before jumping to her feet and sprinting into the house.

 

I slipped further down my chair and felt my vital organs trying to regulate itself again. 

 

Krystal Jung has reduced me to a pathetic weakling of my former self and I’m too even be mad about it

 

*Splash*

 

My attention was on Yuri who was now in the pool and glaring up at Jessica, the latter of which was hiding her giggles behind her hand.

 

“WHYYYYY?!?!”

 

“Oops. I thought you were trying to cop a feel.” The brunette lowered her hand to smile at her apologetically.

 

“You ASKED me to tie your strap for you!” My drenched cousin gestured wildly to her loose blouse strap.

 

“Fine, whatever. So I felt like pushing you, okay. Jeez, you whine more than Tiffany’s dog Prince Fluffy.” She scoffed and walked away.

 

I sniggered at the wide gap that Yuri’s mouth was forming. Those two were more entertaining than any sitcom on TV. Well frankly I’d enjoy any comedy that was at the expanse of my cousin. Those two will hook up eventually so it might be more of a rom-com, though.

 

“Oh Krys sweetie you’re back, can you help m- you brought a friend with you!”

 

I turned at that and saw a tall, male figure trailing behind my best friend. She was smiling a little shyly as she wrung her hands. A nervous habit.

 

“Family, this is Kai.” She looked up at the man and laced their hands together. 

 

“My boyfriend.”

 

 

 

All of a sudden I felt like wanting to throw myself into the pool as well.

 

 


 

 

“Wow, dancing, huh? That may come in handy.” My mother said and winked mischievously at a smiling Krystal.

 

I swear to God, if I have to hear another thing about perfect McPerfectson over there I’m going to have to find myself something to stab. Something alive, preferably.

 

“Well, I’m not that good at the other stuff. However, I have been dancing professionally for almost fifteen years now. It’s sort of a passion of mine.” Kai said modestly.

 

So you’ve been bopping around since you were three. No baby has that much coordination at three. I'm finding it increasingly difficult to believe your lies McPerfectson.

 

When everybody at the table laughed at something he said, I tried to take my cynicism down a couple notches.

 

I was being petty again, I have to admit.

 

just can’t help myself when he was being so likeable just by existing. Especially when every word that came out of his mouth made Krystal look more and more like she was melting into mush.

 

I would kidnap the ing Pope if it would get her to look at me like that just once.

 

“…….. met Amber’s new friend Suzy? Too bad you had to send her back early, huh Am?”

 

I looked up to see that all eyes were on me.

 

“Suzy what?” I asked, completely lost.

 

“I was just asking Kai if he had met your new gir- friend Suzy. You four should hang out together, I’m sure it’d be so much fun.” Uncle Jung barely hid his smirk, and I’m pretty certain he was implying a double date in our near future.

 

I offered a forced smile and kicked the leg opposite of me when I heard it’s owner snickering.

 

Key tried to kick me back but his feet was too short.

 

“Amber? Come help me bring out the dessert.” Aunty Jung gave me a pat on the shoulder and I obliged, following her into the house.

 

She pulled out a cake from the fridge and set it on the island. 

 

I was taking out some plates when she spoke. 

 

“So how serious do you think Krystal is about Kai?” I was stumped for a moment, since nobody has ever asked me that question before.

 

I knew she really liked the guy, and it was clear in how she talks about him that it was strong enough to want to date him. I told her just that and the older woman smiled as she sliced another piece of cake.

 

“Jessica has always been closer to uncle Jung, and Krystal to me. You know that.” I nodded in agreement, “That girl tells me everything. From the day she knew how to keep secrets, I somehow was always able to weasel it out of her. Most things anyway. She tells you everything which I’m still jealous about.” We shared a small laugh at that.

 

“She’s never mentioned a Kai before tonight though.” She said.

 

“No? He’s all she’s ever talked about for the past few months.” I mumbled.

 

Aunty Jung smiled faintly, abruptly moving the conversation in a different direction.

 

“I always thought you two would end up together.”

 

Ugh, not you too.

 

“You and everybody else, Aunty. As it is, Krystal and I are just not meant to be.” I chuckled forcedly, hoping the bitterness didn’t seep into my tone.

 

“Shame.” I looked at her confusedly but she motioned to the plates on the table.

 

“Take those out first.”

 

On the way out, Kai and Krystal were walking back into the house.

 

“Cake?” I offered, trying to ignore the taller man’s arm around Krystal’s waist.

 

“I’d love to but we’re going out to watch a movie. I wanna pig out on popcorn and other junk.” Krystal grinned and her lips in delight.

 

I tried to play off how upset I actually was, “Aww, but I thought you were sleeping over tonight. We were gonna marathon Back to the Future.” 

 

She bit her lip, looking slightly guilty at backing out on something that we’ve been looking forward to all week. What with her spending so much time with Kai lately, we’ve hardly had any time to bond and tonight was supposed to be my night with her.

 

The plate of cake in my hands seems awfully tempting to throw at Kai’s face but I refrained.

 

“I’m really really sorry. I promise to make it up to you, okay?” She smiled regretfully and gave me a chaste kiss on the cheek. 

 

“It was nice meeting your family. They’re very nice. See you in school Amber.” Kai said before they left.

 

I tried to shake off the disappointment I felt, reminding myself that Krystal was happy and that’s the only thing that matters.

 

 


 

 

Later that night, I lay on my bed with my phone in my grip.

 

It was thirty minutes past midnight and still no word from my best friend. My finger hovered over her contact and I was about to press it to call her but I thought twice about it.

 

What would I say anyway?

 

“Hey Krys, I called because you’re not texting me every single detail of what you’re doing and it’s killing me because I’ve never not  known what you’re doing because I’m usually doing it with you. I hate you for ditching me too, you’ve never ever done that before. Ever. Also I really miss you and….. I love you.”

 

I sound like a petulant child who refuses to acknowledge that they’re growing up and need to wean off of their parents coddling.

 

I think I might be suffering from Krystal withdrawal. 

 

I dismissed the thought with a shake of my head, “Fine, it’s cool. I’m cool. I can learn to detach. She seems to have done that already.” I murmured sourly as I scrolled through my contacts. When I finally found the one I was looking for, I quickly typed in a reply and put my phone away.

 

“Since my best friend is too damn busy to hang with me I’ll make my own freaking plans. I have friends too.” I grumbled out one last time before burying my head under a pillow.

 

I had already fallen asleep when my phone buzzed beside me.

 

 

 

 

~Bae Suzy~

12.56am : Sure, I’d love to hang out! I’ll see you tomorrow. Goodnight! :)

 

 

~Dddunggie~ 

1.19am : He kissed me!!!!!!!!! I’ll tell you everything in the morning. Night night Ambutt. <3<3<3

 

 


 

A/N : Really sorry that I haven’t updated in awhile. Turns out writing this did serve it’s purpose in helping me with my writers block for my other stuff but less so with this :/ I’m trying to get back to this though, so bear with me people. Also, the fact that Kryber has miraculously surfaced from the grave this comeback has fueled my inspiration. 

 

Also also I’ve been terribly obsessed with Mamamoo lately I mean have you seen how gay they all are Jesus H. Christ.