Chapter 15

Alright, Deal

 

Amber’s POV

 

 

“Dad, uhm, not that this wasn’t totally fun but I think I’m gonna go chill at the pool now.”

 

“What? We haven’t even moved on to tennis, you know hard I’ve been working on my backhand.”

 

“I’d love to but I think I’ve lost enough calories for the day. I actually want to put some back on and a club sandwich with spicy hot cheetos on the side sounds like a great idea right about now.” 

 

He looked disappointed but I’ve put off having to look at that face for long enough already. Father-daughter day was fun but not when the father was really trying to avoid going home to an angry wife and using his unquestionably favorite child as an excuse to stay out longer than needed. What reason she’s mad about I’m afraid to ask.

 

“First win takes the game?” He tried to pout but the look of disgust I had on said exactly what I thought about him making that face.

 

“No, dad. Literally, no more games. And absolutely no a gajillion times to that god awful pout. Just no. Dad, you have to go home.” He sighed at that and ran a hand through his hair, which I noted with reassurance that he still had a good set of. No need to worry about premature balding just yet, thank god.

 

“Can I at least ‘chill’ with you for a little while? Buy me some time to figure out what to say to her?” He asked rather innocently.

 

I had to laugh. 

 

Here’s a man who’s net worth exceeded the average millionaire, a man who’s known for his steadfast business ethics, a man who I grew up looking up to because he seemed to know the way of the world and thought to have wielded it with just a single finger, and also a man who’s only strength and/or debilitation, depends on perspective, was his family, predominantly the love of his life. My mother.

 

I was laughing but I am exactly the same way when it came to a certain woman in my life. 

 

I slung my arm around his shoulder and led him out of the squash court. 

 

“Only if you pay.”

 

“So something that I’ve already been doing since the day you started existing in this world.”

 

“Yes, exactly.”

 

We settled at the bar by the pool and ordered the same thing, except that he had a light beer and I had a soda. My birthday wasn’t until the end of the year so legally I couldn’t drink in public. 

 

Keyword being = public. 

 

We had a nice time catching up and we were close to finishing our meal when Mr. Bae came up to us with his daughter following close behind.

 

I haven’t seen Suzy working at the front desk for a long time, barely see her in school. Either my mind has been occupied with other things lately or she has been avoiding me. The thought of how we left off reminded me of my guilt.

 

Now that some of those things that occupied my mind at the time aren’t a burden anymore, it was enough for me to focus on other things in my life. I hoped that now I had the clarity to fix the things I disregarded during my blind rampage to figure out my ‘feelings’.

 

I expected her to not meet my eyes. She even managed to do that when politely greeting me. I drowned out whatever it was that our father’s were talking about and barely registered them saying that they were going to take a walk, something business related or whatever.

 

That left the both of us in this understandably awkward silence for a few seconds before my brain insisted that I was obviously the one who should break the ice.

 

“Afternoon.” 

 

My brain was not pleased with this vapid choice of word. 

 

She finally looked at me, for quite a bit I might uncomfortably add, then decided to sit down on the stool next to me.

 

“Half a pint of Corona, please.” She showed the waiter her ID and thanked him when he gave her her drink.

 

“You’re older than me. I didn’t know that.” I said, watching her take a modest sip out of her glass.

 

 “Why would you? You were never really interested in me.”

 

“I deserve that.” I smiled sadly.

 

“Among other things.” She said stiffly.

 

“I’m sorry. I was an idiot.” Was all I could say. 

 

I could give her a long prose about why I had sent her a text to say that I couldn’t go out with her anymore an hour before a date. The worst part wasn’t even that, it was that the first thing I had texted her was not ‘I’m sorry but I can’t lead you on. We can’t see each other anymore’ or something as humane as that, but it was ‘I’m in love with someone else. I’m sorry.”

 

Pathetic as it sounded, like I said, I was too caught up in my Krystal-induced haze to bother with anything else.

 

Oddly though, she let loose a small laugh and shook her head.

 

“You were, but that only made us similar in that regard.” She smiled.

 

“Why do you say that?”

 

“For wanting to believe that you could like me as much as you liked Krystal.” 

 

I fiddled with my napkin. This time, I was the one avoiding eye contact.

 

“Did you always know that I still loved her?” 

 

“Maybe. I had a crush on you for quite some time so I was probably deluded by your sudden interest in me. It worked. As much as I disliked you after that text, I admit that I would’ve said yes if you asked again.” She smirked, “You are impossibly charming and that really you know that?”

 

I genuinely laughed and every tension in my body was released at that moment. I was grateful for that because I truly didn’t deserve to be vindicated. Not without punishment at least. 

 

Okay, naughty thoughts are surfacing. Why am I like this.

 

“So does that mean we’re fine? I’m not going to assume you don’t harbor any thoughts of wanting to cattle brand me or something but…. on the road to being friends?” I asked hopefully.

 

“Don’t flatter yourself, I’ve gotten over an ill-feelings for a while now. It’s just the kind of person I am.” We shared a smile and I offered her a hand in truce.

 

She slapped it away playfully and took another sip of beer.

 

“So, friend. Let’s start over. Why aren’t you working here anymore?” I asked, interested.

 

“Me first. Let’s start with why you decided to color your hair back to brown. Not that I’m complaining, that previous hairstyle was an eyesore.”


 


 

 

Tiffany’s POV

 

 

“Ooh, that’s a lovely bikini. Does it come in pink?” 

 

“Thanks but no, this would look atrocious in pink.” 

 

“Nonsense, I haven’t found anything that doesn’t look good in pink.” 

 

“I wouldn’t expect anything less from the pink monster.” 

 

“You’ve been calling me that since pre-school. Find something new, please.”

 

“I’ll never get over how you ‘accidentally’ spilled pink paint all over my new skirt just because you hated yellow.” 

 

“Oh my god-uh. Yuri, I totally feel you. This woman here will hold onto a damn grudge even if Satan himself was pulling it away from her.” I turned to the taller woman and saw her eyeing the evil Jung with noticeable scrutiny.

 

I smirked amusedly and nudged her. She came out of her reverie and hid her blush behind her hair. Jessica is more competent at hiding her staring, but nothing gets past me. I know everything. At least, anything I’m mildly interested in anyway.

 

I quickly claimed what we all conveniently deemed as the best pool bed, sticking my tongue out when the other two complained about it. I wasn’t apologetic, I haven’t had a good tan in weeks because I’ve been so busy with assignments when all those two ever do is lounge on their lazy asses. 

 

“Where are my earphones? Ah great, it’s with Krystal. Isn’t she supposed to be done with that massage by now?” Jessica grumbled.

 

“Should be. She’s probably just changing.” Yuri said.

 

“She better. I don’t want to hear your snoring any more than I want to shave Seth Rogen’s back-hair.”

 

“Why was that even in your circle of thoughts.” Yuri asked incredulously.

 

“I just watched The Neighbours.” She shrugged.

 

“Two martini’s please. Apple and lychee.” I smiled at the waiter and tipped him generously.

 

“I’m on a cleanse so make my mojito this time, Jonghyun.” Jessica winked at him.

 

“Water, please.” Yuri said, pulling out her sunscreen.

 

“Really? You guys are making me look like a drunkard. Why aren’t you drinking with me?” I pouted.

 

“We have Mark’s party tonight. I don’t want to get sloppy before I even got there.” Yuri justified.

 

“Ever heard of a pre-game.” I mumbled unhappily.

 

“Ever heard of alcoholism.” Jessica scoffed, motioning for Yuri to put sunscreen on her back.

 

Yuri complied and I sneakily observed her getting an eyeful of Jessica’s back view as the shorter woman made herself comfortable on the bed. I rolled my eyes but it automatically made me think of someone. A smile appeared on my face as I thought about how I found her outside of my class one day, holding a giant plushie in her tiny arms while still managing to hold a balloon that said sorry. 

It didn’t matter that I spent the rest of my classes carrying the gifts with everybody taking funny glances at me, because I couldn’t stop smiling for hours. That was creepier.

 

I was about to take out my phone to text her when I saw in my peripherals a familiar person at the bar on the other side of the pool.

 

I squinted and besides the change in hair color, I instantly knew it was Amber. I would’ve hollered at her if she didn’t have a company with her.

 

“Guys, stop your canoodling. I think Amber’s on a date.”

 

“Who the says canoodling.”

“We’re not canoodling.”

 

“Didn’t you guys just say that she’s still hung up on Krystal?”

 

“Not anymore, apparently.” Jessica raised her eyebrows.

 

“Oh, would Krystal be upset?” I asked.

 

“She’s still with Kai. And Amber came home early from prom the other day. Sounds like everything’s worked out?” Yuri didn’t know if it was a statement or a question.

 

“Well, we’ll find out soon.” I coughed, as Krystal walked up to us, dressed in her swimwear with a see-through blouse over it.

 

Why are you guys looking at me like that?” She frowned.

 

“Nothing. Wait, yes, something. Did you…. know that Amber is on a date? Or is maybe possibly date-ing someone?” I asked.

 

“What? No. We don’t even know that yet Tiff.” Yuri said.

 

“What else does that look like to you then?” Jessica pointed in their direction.

 

‘Look, Amber’s not tacky. She wouldn’t bring a date to the country club.” I said in her defense.

 

“She colored her hair.” Krystal said with an unreadable look on her face.

 

“Yes, but honey that’s hardly the most interesting part of this picture.” Jessica said.

 

“I'm always the first to know. If she did anything.” She said, again with that blank look, “That’s Bae Suzy. Father owns this club. She was also Amber’s potential girlfriend at some point but then, things happened.”

 

“Do you think they’re picking up where they left off?” I asked.

 

Krystal looked at them for a few more moments before she stood up.

 

“I’m gonna head home. Wow, that massage was so good. Feeling a little drowsy.” She waved and went back into the changing rooms. 

 

“Hey wait! My earphones!”


 

 


 

 

Amber’s POV

 

 

“Amber!” Was the last thing I heard before a piece of rolled up paper was thrown to the side of my head.

 

I glared at Luna, “Was that necessary?”

 

“You’ve been staring at the pamphlet for forever. Wanted to check if your motor functions were still active.”

 

“Thank you, you’re such a good friend. It is, by the way.” I threw the paper back.

 

“I wouldn’t blame her. My brain is loosing cells waiting here for so long. Our tour guide nursing a hangover or something? Cuz that would be the only acceptable excuse.” Taeyeon grumbled beside me.

 

“There’s a joke in there somewhere. I’m too bored to find it.” I sighed, slumping further in my chair.

 

“You two seem awfully excited about checking out our future prospects. It’s college, the next step to the rest of our lives? Our entire career is at the brink of probabilities and uncertanties and you’re more concerned about what’s for lunch.” Luna rolled her eyes.

 

“They did promise free sandwiches right?” I asked, looking highly skeptical. 

 

Taeyeon looked at me, just as worried, “Of course. Of course, why would they lure us in with something like that if they weren’t going to follow through. That’s just disgraceful.” 

 

“Idiots.” Luna got up and went to sit with Sulli and Krystal.

 

“Now that she’s gone. Why are you avoiding the ice princess?”

 

“Straight to it, huh. Not even going to give me time to fully process the morning?”

 

“Nope.” The shorter woman looked pointedly.

 

I chanced a glance at the woman in question and true enough she was looking in my direction. It was a game we’ve been playing these days. Either one of us would look at the other only to find that the other was doing the same. Usually I’d break the connection but there was something about how she looked at me today that made me incapable of looking away.

 

It’s been two weeks and I have yet to break that pact I made with myself about giving her space. I knew it wasn’t going to be easy but god was it difficult to hold a certain facade in front of the only person I never thought I’d ever keep things from. 

 

I try to make this change as inconspicuous as possible and did things the way it’s always been. We still talked like normal, but it wasn’t the same and she knows it. I’ve been a lot less physically affection with her but I attempt to ease that transition by joking more. For awhile she’s conditioned herself  to prepare a snarky remark whenever I start to flirt with her but now she looks almost confused when I suddenly replaced that with plain smiles that had no underlying, amorous intentions whatsoever. It might be a temporary contentment but truthfully I preferred this arrangement better rather than vying for her attention and being rejected every time. It hurt less and she hasn’t brought any of these things up so I was thinking that maybe….. she liked it like this? It didn’t seem right though but if she hasn’t complained, I suppose I’m doing the right thing.

 

I finally looked away and readied my answer. Fortunately, my saving grace was that of the college tour guide that approached us. A tall, very attractive tour guide who didn’t look the least bit hungover, but just slightly flustered. 

 

“I’m so sorry, I’m not usually late at all but my dog had to be taken to the vet, last minute. I apologise again, this is very unprofessional.” She said, breathing a little hard.

 

“Is your dog alright?” I asked, furrowing my eyebrows.

 

The guide looked up to me and blinked twice before replying hastily, “Yes, yes. She’s fine. My little Aayla is fine. Just ate something she wasn’t supposed to.” 

 

“Thats’ great. I’ve always wanted to name my pet, if I got on, after Kit Fitso. It’d be Fitso though, not Kit.” She laughed and I smiled.

 

“If you did, they totally should have play dates. That’s my ultimate Star Wars OTP.” She bit her lip, staring me down.

 

“It’s a play-date then.” I grinned as she smiled back and started on introductions to the college tour.

 

“Talk about professional. Flirting with minors. Tsk tsk.” Taeyeon whispered under her breath.

 

“Shut up. I’ll be legal by the time I go here.” I shoved her and followed the super hot tour guide, not noticing a pair of eyes trained on the back of my head.

 


 


 

 

“‘You are not wearing your f-ing Jordans to my wedding.’ Was what she told me to tell you. She would tell you herself but she’s busy talking to the organizer.” Minho said sheepishly, his eyes darting back and forth between me and his fiancé. 


I looked amusedly at him before giving Sulli an enthusiastic thumbs up from across the room. She unashamedly flipped a finger at me without breaking her conversation.

 

“I love that girl but I’m not the one that’s going to tell her that she’s rapidly turning into the bride from hell as days go by. This mock wedding is only a samlper for the real thing. Picture that.” I said and gave the groom a pointed look.

 

His eyes widened comically, “Well I’m not going to tell her! Why don’t you do it, it’s not like you have a marriage to lose if you do.” 

 

“I have a face to lose, that’s what’s at stake here. You see the problem.” I shrugged.

 

Sulli called out for him and he gulped, “I’m scared.”

 

“You should be. Now go before she changes into her beast form.” I pushed him and chuckled as he stumbled to the waiting bride-zilla.

 

“Nice shoes. I’m assuming your proposal to wear them hasn’t gone through Sulli yet.” 

 

I turned around and instinctually my heart did that skipping stopping thing it usually does whenever I see her, or whenever I’m at Everland.

 

“It has. I just got my rather colorful memo just now.” I replied, refraining from telling her she’s beautiful or some equally corny .

 

“You’re still breathing so it wasn’t that bad.” She smirked, coming closer to me for whatever absurd reason my mind could come up with.

 

“Her court-jester relayed the info, he stumbled through at best so I’m good.”

 

“Your hair. It’s not bleached anymore.” She pointed out.

 

“Yeah. Decided on a change. Had a momentary panic attack about hair loss.” I chuckled, and she laughed with me.

 

“I like this better. Not that it matters, you went and dyed your hair blonde anyway, even after I said you would look gross.” I smiled and shuffled my feet, “You look really good in that suit, but you can’t go wrong with the classic black.”

 

“Thank you.” I smiled and looked around the room for no apparent purpose.

 

“Aren’t you going to return the compliment or are you being polite and refraining from saying anything negative?” She said cheekily.

 

“I don’t need to. You already know how good you look.” I said plainly.

 

“Well yeah, but it’s nice hearing it from someone else once in awhile. Especially you. You know how much I value your opinion.” She tried to joke, nudging my on the shoulder.

 

“You look…… pretty.” I complied.

 

“Pretty?” She giggled, “Okay, have your regressed to a little girl or is this dress really that bad?”

 

I couldn’t help it anymore and blurted out what I was hoping not to say.

 

“Your dress is gorgeous but definitely not in the wildest sense more alluring than the person wearing it. I’d go so far as to say and risk my execution by Sulli who meticulously picked out the bridesmaid dresses, that it’ll never make the slightest difference what you wear because it’ll just be an accessory to the real attraction. Which you already know by now, is incomparable, to me.” I said in the most matter-of-fact without giving away anything.

 

I couldn’t fully decipher her reactions to my words because the organizer started rushing us into place.

 

And my place happened to be right next to the person who I had just basically revealed my soul to not moments ago.

 

She stayed silent as the organizer relayed instructions to us on how to properly walk down the aisle, which was thorough on her part but completely unnecessary because I obviously knew how to walk in a straight line.

 

“Remind me why I was paired to walk with this one.” Jessica muttered behind me.

 

“I share the same concerns.” Yuri deadpanned.

 

“Maybe Sulli knows something you don’t.” I chirped.

 

“Could say the same for you two.” Jessica scoffed.

 

Krystal and I shared a look before looking away awkwardly.

 

“Time to link arms, it’s showtime my lovelies!” The organizer yelled exuberantly.

 

I sighed internally before offering my arm up to Krystal. She smiled a small smile at me and intertwined our arms.

 

“Thanks.” She said to me all of a sudden.

 

“For what?” I asked.

 

“What you said earlier. It was very sweet.” She said softly, starting to lead me forward when it was our turn. She chuckled, “It’s stupid but I’ve been under the impression that you’re…. moving away from me. I don’t know, it’s weird to say but you don’t, uhm, touch me anymore? Oh god that did sound weird, I mean that you’re not being Am with me anymore. I’ll shut up, I don’t even know what I’m saying.”

 

I didn’t answer her and chose to focus on…… walking.

 

“Are you?” She asked when she noticed I hadn't respond.

 

“No.” I didn’t hesitate in answering but I didn’t elaborate either.

 

“Are you dating Suzy?” She asked out of the blue.

 

I couldn’t help but frown at the random question, “What? Why would you think that?”

 

“I was at the club yesterday. Tiffany saw you first and you two looked like you were…. on a date.” 

 

We stopped to the side of Sulli and the organizer’s voice bid me some time to gauge her expression. I didn’t know why she looked neither hopeful nor resentful so I couldn’t really come up with the right answer for that. Suzy and I’s ship has ended and won’t ever be dug up, but should I lie to her and make her think that I was moving on? It’s the best for what I was trying to achieve wasn’t it?

 

When we're free to talk again, I answered her in the most non-committal way I could.

 

“We haven’t really gotten past yesterday. We’re still trying to be friends again.” Not the most convincing response but it’ll do to get her off of my case for now.

 

“Oh. Okay.” She tried to seem like that was it but she looked unsure of something.

 

I wanted to ask her about it but chose not to.


 


 

 

My fingers glided over the piano keys with little reservation, chasing after one other as I moved up the scale, then down, then up again, then all the way down till it created a discord that alerted my sensitive ears to it’s unpleasantness. 

 

That was a terrible sound, definitely not fit for a wedding. 

 

I scraped the melody in my head and went back to playing what I knew best.

 

“Ba ba black sheep have you any wool, yes sir, yes sir, three bags full.” I stopped to contemplate the lyrics for a little bit, wondering why in the hell a sheep would keep it’s wool in three bags. Or keep bags of its wool at all.

 

The door to the studio opened and I didn’t bother turning around.

 

“Artist at work here. This is my midnight inspiration time. Leave before my muse disappears.” I mumbled and wrote down two bars that came to mind.

 

“Your muse is a children’s rhyme, it’s not going anywhere.” 

 

I internally shouted expletives. It’s kind of difficult to actively ignore someone when said person has no clue that I’m trying to stay away from them.

 

“Krystal, it’s past your bedtime. What’s up?”

 

“That. That is what’s up and I can’t stand it anymore.”

 

Warning signals came in the form of goosebumps and an accelerated heart rate. Something is up and I’m about to find out why. 

 

I turned around slowly and took in the red in her eyes, as if she’s been crying, and my oversized shirt she wore as pajamas. In any other context I should be scared less that this was my death scene in a horror movie but she was crying and it overwhelmed any fear tenfold.

 

“What’s wrong?” I said and hoped it wasn’t the wrong thing to say.

 

Unfortunately it was and the tears started to fall but she didn’t sob. She just stared at me as if I had disappointed her greatly.

 

“You’ve been distant. I thought it was a good thing at first. You were really irritating. All the flirting and the forcing me to break up with him. Then it was the nicknames, or lack of it. You call me Krystal all the time now. No princess, no sweets, no Krys. The pet names. All gone. Why?”

 

“Isn’t that what you wanted?”

 

“Why in the world would I want my best friend to leave me?” She almost yelled and I was thankful that she had closed the door after she came in.

 

I stood up then but didn’t approach her. 

 

“I’m not leaving. Why would you think that?” 

 

“That’s another thing. We don't even know each other anymore. When was the last time we told each other anything? We use to be the first person to tell things, new things, old things, but we don’t even talk anymore!”

 

“I’m trying to give you space, Krystal. I’m trying to give myself space.” I admitted.

 

She looked heartbroken and that made the tears well up in my eyes.

 

“I wanted to dance with you. At prom. You left before I could ask.”

 

I looked down, seemingly ashamed, “Nobody wants to be the clingy best friend. You looked happy with him. I didn’t want to be around to see it.”

 

She took a step closer then, “I would’ve been happier with you.”

 

My head shot up, confusion written all over my features.

 

“What’re you trying to say?”

 

“I don’t want you to date Suzy.”

 

I was completely dumbfounded again, “That’s not for you to decide.”

 

“I don’t want you to date her because I want you to want me and only me.”

 

My heart didn’t even have time to combust at her words or the look in her eyes before she took that last step and pressed her lips against mine. The initial contact was a harsh clang of teeth but it soon turned into the most emotional kiss I’ve ever experienced with another person.

There were too many sensations to take in, to fully experience with a conscious mind. Making a mold of the fingers caressing my head, feeling contours of her body which had been a mere fantasy that could only exist in my head, the smell of her moisturizer and her hair, the glimpses of hooded, passion-filled eyes through my own.

 

Of all things, that Luther Vandross song came into mind and I knew it was true. I’d rather have bad times with her than good times with someone else. 

 

We pulled away when we needed air, breath’s mixing hotly because neither of us wanted to be too far part.

 

“What happens now?” She asked.

 

I was relieved to see that I couldn’t find a hint of doubt or regret in her eyes. 

 

She wants this as much as I did. 

 

I could’ve broke out into song and dance right then and there if I didn’t want to stop holding her.

 

“I don’t know……… Can we kiss again?” 

 

Krystal let loose a breathy laugh.

 

“I want to….. but I still need to breathe a little more.”

 

I couldn’t help but break into the goofiest grin. She giggled at that but her eyes were filled with nothing but adoration. 

 

“Okay. But the next time we kiss like that you’re not going to cry that time.”

 

She laughed completely and wholly. It was another feeling entirely to see that I could make her this happy again. 

 

I did that. 

 

It made me feel like I owned the universe.

 

“Stay.” I whispered, gently rubbing my forehead against hers.

 

She held my eyes deeply, leaning in to kiss me softly on the lips.

 

“Always.”


 


 

A/N: 

 

As a reader myself, especially of works that have been unfinished for YEARS, that have both gone uncompleted and are still pending, I understand your frustration. However, I don’t sympathize with people that are incapable of understanding the other side’s perspective. This is why I am exercising this empathy in addressing only those that assume I am delaying this out of my own ‘laziness’ or whatever they might call it, and not all of you that have been decent human beings and understanding that I have a LIFE, too.

 

This is not a lecture but just me clearing something up. I am going to continue writing until this is done because I want to do it for myself and the people that have been waiting patiently these past two years for me to finish it. If you are going to insinuate that I am joyfully baiting you into waiting till your deathbed for me to update, please stop reading because the only person that you’re allowed to get mad at is yourself for demanding I place more importance in updating above everything else.

 

I don’t ask for much but a little feedback every chapter, I don’t even make this story a mandatory subscription as the only option for people to read this because honestly what would I gain from that. I’m still upset that that someone even had the indecency to antagonize a person who, I repeat, writes this for free, into updating or dropping this.

 

It got me pissed enough to update, so you should thank that person for it, ironically. 

 

End of rant and on another lighter note, yay they’re together! I think! Kind of! 

 

Let me know what you think, the goods and the not goods.