Chapter 12

Alright, Deal

 

Amber's POV

 

 

 

The reality of what I had done hadn’t hit me until I stood in front of my locker the next morning. 

 

 

After the 'incident' last night, I spent the rest of the night in a dream-like haze, replaying the kiss over and over again until I could almost feel her against me.

 

 

It wasn't the first time I had kissed her, but it was the first time I remember doing it and it left me burning in it's wake.

 

 

I was terribly nervous. It was one of the rare times that I was. 

 

 

Even so, I couldn’t bring myself to regret doing what I did, and if given the chance, I still wouldn’t change anything that happened last night.

 

 

I didn’t even notice that I was unpacking my entire locker into my schoolbag until I felt the weight of it bringing my shoulders to the floor. I looked into my bag and indeed the entire contents of my locker was in it.

 

 

“Idiot.” I murmured and started unloading it.

 

 

A minute later, as I was midway balancing my schoolbag on my knee and four large books, I felt my ‘Krystal senses’ tingling and true enough when I turned, I saw her walking down the hallway towards me.

 

 

For the first time, I actually looked at her and I wondered incredulously how I’ve never really taken the time to do just that. I was mesmerized with the her presence that seemed to fill the room and I was not the only one, judging by the multiple pairs of eyes that followed her.

 

 

I swore that I could hear ‘The Way You Make Me Feel’ playing in the background and I was a second away from reenacting the music video if she hadn’t reached her locker that was two down from mine.

 

 

My ogling came to an abrupt end when I realized that she was only an arm’s length away from me. The anxiety started creeping it’s way back up and when she turned to acknowledge me, I prepared for the worst.

 

 

However, you can imagine how dumfounded I was when I saw that she was beaming at me with a bright smile on her face. 

 

 

“Hi Ambutt! How’s your morning?” She chirped as she rummaged her locker.

 

 

I stared at her for awhile, completely stupefied. My mouth was closing and opening, rethinking the words that wanted to come out of my mouth.

 

 

“Uhm, the usual? Better, I’d say, than the kids that drank a little too much at the party last night. Speaking of that party I-”

 

 

“Oh my god look,” She exclaimed all of a sudden, pulling out a stick and waved it around excitedly, “I’ve been looking for this eyeliner pencil for weeks now. What luck!” She smiled happily to herself and even giggled a little.

 

 

 

I was getting an eery, Pleasantville vibe here and I think I’m starting to understand why.

 

 

“Krystal.” I tried to get her attention as she was humming to herself.

 

 

“Yes?” She said, giving that all too bright smile that was starting to creep me out.

 

 

“About last night, we need to ta-”

 

 

“Did you hear about that girl Hyuna? Apparently she-”

 

 

“Krystal we need to-”

 

 

“-slept with most of the basketball team-”

 

 

“Krystal, I’m serious we-”

 

 

“And some of the tennis club-”

 

 

“Krys-”

 

 

“I’m not one for gossip so-”

 

 

“Krystal!”

 

 

“…….honestly I don’t believe any of that cra-”

 

 

“KRYSTAL JUNG SOOJUNG.” I exploded, my face almost red from being constantly interrupted.

 

 

“I’m well aware that that is my full name. You didn’t need to yell for all of Korea to hear.” She said plainly and all of the false cheeriness left her face in an instant.

 

 

This was the reaction that I had expected her to confront me with and I instantly regretted trying to get it out of her.

 

 

“We need to talk about last night.” I said in a much calmer tone.

 

 

“How about no.” She said without looking at me.

 

 

“Krystal, don’t be difficult.”

 

 

I knew immediately after the words left my mouth that it was a mistake. Her eyes narrowed into slits and if it wasn’t for the fact that I’ve been a victim of this deathly gaze one too many times, I would’ve disintegrated into dust by now. Still, I felt my knees shake a little.

 

 

“Difficult? Am I damn math problem now? Am I just some stupid subject that you didn’t pay any mind to before, but now is interested in all of a sudden? Is that it?” She almost spat it out, but making sure to keep her voice to a harsh whisper.

 

 

“What? No I….… what?” I asked, knowing that there was an underlying meaning to her words but I couldn’t quite figure it out, “I just want to talk.”

 

 

“Forget it.” 

 

 

“Krystal please.”

 

 

“I said forget it.”

 

 

“Princess I just want to-.”

 

 

“Oh, don’t you princess me. Find another princess to annoy the hell out of.”

 

 

“Fine. If you won’t talk to me I’ll sing The Meow Mix Theme over and over again until you will. I swear to God I’ll do it.” I threatened, knowing full well that it always worked when we were kids. It never took long before she’d break and do whatever it is I wanted her to do. Well not before having her violent ways with me first that is.

 

 

She didn’t look impressed and just gave me a look that basically dared me to even try.

 

 

I took an unnecessary large breath, “Meow meow meow meow-OW ow ow ow……”

 

 

My feet stumbled in the direction that she was pulling my ear in and the next thing I knew I was pushed into a small space. We were enclosed in darkness as a loud door slam was heard and I soon realized that we were in the janitor's closet.

 

 

I felt her move then light came on and I was greeted with Krystal's hardened face.

 

 

"Alright, you wanted to talk. You've got less than five minutes." 

 

 

“Well first of all, Princess, I’ve been out of the closet for a very long time now. I have no desire to be back in this sad little room.” I quipped, referring to the tight space that we were in. My need to make humor out of situation tended to surface when I was uncomfortable, and I was majorly aware that I was two inches away from a pair of lips that have been plaguing my thoughts as of late.

 

 

"Four minutes."

 

 

I raised my hands and wordlessly assured her that I'd be on my best behavior. True enough, when the humor dropped, my anxiety crept back up as it always did and my mouth went dry.

 

 

"Before anything else, I just want you to know that everything I said, or did, last night, was real."

 

 

She scoffed, "Oh, so real that it only took me being interested in someone for you to realize that you're in love with me." Her voice was borderline pissed, but the shine in her eyes said a million other things.

 

 

"I know it sounds pretty far-fetched but I've never been more sure of anything in my short life. You know me Krystal, you know I don't use the L word lightly and I've never once said it to any of my past girlfriend's. Krystal I lo-"

 

 

"Please, Amber. I can't do this." She pleaded, her hair falling over her face as she looked down.

 

 

"Why not? You told me last night that you were in love with me too. What could possibly be stopping us from-"

 

 

"I have a boyfriend, Amber. A boyfriend that I am trying to build a relationship with. The same boyfriend that you were so adamantly trying push me to for well over a month. This isn’t like ing football where you can change tactics at the last second to get what you want.”

 

 

I tried to look contrite, “Sorry.”

 

 

She glowered at me because she and I both knew that I was most definitely not sorry in the least.

 

 

“Look, I know what I did and what I’m doing is totally not fair-”

 

 

“Not fair?! That’s the biggest unders-”

 

 

I cut her off by placing my fingers on her lips, wishing that could’ve been my lips instead. 

 

 

“Let me finish.” I pleaded.

 

 

She smacked my hand away and she looked like she wanted to bite my head off but thankfully she let me finish at the look in my eyes.

 

 

“I know that laying all of this on you now isn’t fair to you, or even Kai for that matter. I can only imagine how frustrating it can be. But I can’t help that I’m an idiot and I’ll most likely continue being an idiot for a long time. I just want you to give me a chance to prove that I can change. If there’s one person that can do that, it’s you.”

 

 

“It’s not that easy Amber. You can’t just expect me to break up with Kai. Believe it or not, I may be…. in love with you," she said that while a red tint appeared on her face and I couldn't help but smile giddily. She noticed and immediately pursed her lips." But I also do have feelings for Kai now, however small it may be compared to.…” She sighed, gathering her thoughts, “And he likes me too, maybe even more than I do him and for me that’s a good thing. I can’t be sure that you’d get sick of me one day.” 

 

 

The last part came out of nowhere and I finally understood why she was so riled up.

 

 

I held her shoulders as a substitute for cupping her face. I still didn’t know how she’d take to me touching her so intimately yet.

 

 

“Krystal, you’re one of the most important people in my life. Right there with my family. I’d throw myself to the wolves before I even thought about hurting you.” 

 

 

“I’ve seen how you go through girls, Amber.”

 

 

“Because they weren’t you.” I said earnestly, surprised and also elated at this new revelation.

 

 

All of the girls that I’ve dated didn’t last long because I would always subconsciously compare them to the one girl who, I didn’t realize at the time, was already perfect in my eyes.

 

 

She held my eyes for what felt like the longest moment in my life. I felt her reaching into me and searching my thoughts. I did the same and beneath all the insecurities, I saw nothing but love. My heart surged at the thought that she was finally going to give me a chance. However, that feeling was short-lived when her eyes hardened and the wall was back.

 

 

“I’m sorry, but I’m not breaking up with him Amber.” She said, a steely edge to her words, as if trying to protect whatever it was that’s bubbling below the surface.

 

 

“And I’m not giving up.” I answered in an equally firm voice, “This isn’t a game to me, Krystal. I want to make you happy just as much as I know you’ll make me happy.”

 

 

“I am happy.” She countered.

 

 

“You’d be happier with me.” I said with not hint of arrogance in my tone, just assurance.

 

 

She narrowed her eyes at me, “What happened to staying away to make me happy and all that crap you spieled last night?”

 

 

“That changed when you told me you’re in love with me.” 

 

 

“You’re really something you know that?” 

 

 

I grinned, “Something special it seems, because you’re not denying the fact that you are, present tense, still in love with me.”

 

 

Krystal opened and was about to say something when the bell rang. Her eyes glared at me for a second before she stormed out of the closet.

 

 

A grin formed on my face at both the innuendo and the outcome of the conversation.

 

 

 


 

 

Author’s POV

 

 

 

Yuri didn’t flinch this time.

 

 

Actually, she hadn’t flinched or grunted the last ten times the small bit of eraser shot her in the ear. Instead, she simply plucked the piece of cut up eraser that Jessica has been throwing into her ear for the last thirty minutes and placed it on the pile of other bits that she’s compiled.

 

 

Jessica sighed unnecessarily loud and plopped her head onto the table, earning a stern look from the librarian who was organizing books behind them.

 

 

“You’re boring me.”

 

 

Yuri’s eye twitched but she maintained her composure, “I apologize, Queen Jessica, if me writing your essay for you isn’t interesting enough to you.” Yuri said monotonously, eyes fixed on the laptop in front of her.

 

 

“Save the attitude. I’m doing you a favor.” She said, cutting up more pieces to throw at me.

 

 

“And what favor is that?” Yuri asked incredulously.

 

 

“The privilege of being in my presence.”

 

 

The taller woman snorted, “Right. Of course. How silly of me to forget. It’s not like you’ve been making your presence very known by having my left ear collecting the missing half of your eraser.” 

 

 

“Exactly. You’re boring me because you’re not even reacting to it anymore.” Jessica sighed for the hundredth time and slumped back onto her chair.

 

 

Maybe, you should try to shove it up your-” She was cut off from her mumbling before she could finish that sentence when a classmate of hers came up to their table.

 

 

Yuri!”

 

 

The librarian turned around to shush her and the tiny woman smiled sheepishly tip-toeing her way to Yuri and gave her a tight hug.

 

 

“Sunny, what’re you doing here? You hate the library. You keep saying it smells like a dungeon of old farts and book sweat.”

 

 

“Not so loud. The dragon that guards this place might put us on his dinner menu.” She looked up to see the librarian glaring at them again.

 

 

Yuri laughed, “Oka, okay. So really, what brings you here?”

 

 

Sunny giggled and dropped down onto the seat next to her and wrapped her arms around Yuri’s neck, poking the taller woman on the cheek.

 

 

“I’m here for you of course. Who else would I sacrifice my time and sanity to come into this dreary old place for?” Sunny smiled so brightly that it actually shone a small light in the dim space.

 

 

“As flattered as I am, I’m sure you didn’t just come to see my gorgeous face.” Yuri smiled back, patting the girl on the head.

 

 

“You caught me, actually, I’m here- Oh, hi! Didn’t… see you sitting over there.” Sunny’s wide grin was turned down a notch when she saw the look on the ice princesses face. 

 

 

She was almost consistently a self-assured person and she prided in the fact that her optimism always eventually trumped any uncertainty in her life. However, she felt a trickle of self-doubt and almost…. fear, when she noticed how the other woman’s gaze was slowly trying to tear into her soul.

 

 

“Hi. Sunny, is it?” Jessica stated almost robotically.

 

 

Sunny blinked and spoke hesitantly, “Yes ma’am. I mean…. what was your name?”

 

 

“It’s Jessica, and don’t mind her she’s just a little shy when meeting new people.” Yuri shot her a look and the latter rolled her eyes before going back to her chopping board.

 

 

“Yes… anyway, I just wanted to drop you an invitation to a party I’m having this weekend to celebrate my birthday.” Sunny snapped back to being herself in an instant and the past minute of awkwardness was almost completely forgotten.

 

 

“Your birthday was last week.”

 

 

“It goes on the whole month. Keep up, Kwon.” Sunny snapped her fingers a couple of times in front of the other’s face.

 

 

“Okay fine, but you know you could’ve just texted me that right?” Yuri chuckled.

 

 

“Yeah, but I thought I’d come here and give you the invitation myself.” She leaned in and planted a big one on Yuri’s cheek. She pulled away and stood up, winking down at her, “Now tell me that wasn’t better than a stupid text.”

 

 

“Always, you big flirt.” Yuri smiled and waved her off when she strutted away. When turned back around, she had to stop short because a certain brown-eyed mistress of hers was looking at her with that all too familiar glare, “What did I do now?”

 

 

“Who’s Sunny? She a friend?” Jessica’s voice was clipped.

 

 

“Yes?” Yuri said, momentarily unsure if this was a trick question, “Am I not allowed to have friends now?”

 

 

“Of course you’re allowed! I don’t own you.” Jessica huffed and turned away from her.

 

 

Yuri sat there, perplexed out of her god damn mind. What the hell did this woman want from her?

 

 

“Are you mad at me for something?”

 

 

“No.” 

 

 

Okay, then why do you look mad?”

 

 

“I don’t.”

 

 

“You’re okay then?”

 

 

“Yeah.”

 

 

“Okay.”

 

 

“Okay.”

 

 

“Cool.”

 

 

“You know,” Jessica took the laptop sitting in front of Yuri and stood up, “I’ll just finish this myself. You’re taking too long to finish it.” She said and grabbed her stuff to leave.

 

 

Before she did, she turned a little to mumbled out a ‘thanks anyway’, and walked out of there in her graceful yet purposeful stride that could only be distinctly a Jung’s.

 

 

Yuri, like all the other times she’s been with Jessica, sat there in a state of utter confusion.

 

 


 

 

Krystal surveyed herself in the mirror before giving a half-hearted nod. This dress will do. It’s not like she has a choice in it anyway, it’s not her wedding for her to decide. She’s just the maid of honor. She’ll get her day though, when she’ll have to decide on her wedding dress and when that day comes…..

 

 

Hold it. Why in the world was she thinking about her own wedding when she doesn’t even know if she’ll even want to get married? And why the hell was the first person that came to mind when she thought about weddings was- 

 

 

“You’re going to steal her thunder if you wear that dress to her wedding. Then again, I might just be bias because, I think you look beautiful in anything.”

 

 

The sound of the deep voice behind her set off an increase in her heart rate and she couldn’t find that more irritating in that moment.

 

 

“I thought you were at practice.” Krystal mumbled out, turning around to face the voice. 

 

 

“Coach had an emergency he needed to tend to so he cut practice short, and I wanted to be a busybody so I dropped by.”

 

 

The blonde’s hair was definitely in need of a haircut as her eyes were falling to her face. Krystal’s hands twitched by her side from wanting to push it back but she stayed put.

 

 

"I don't believe being a busybody is enough incentive for you to come here given your absolute loathing for shopping." She said, however through her apparent shortness with her tone, she still felt that surge of unrelenting excitement whenever the blonde was in the room.

 

 

"You caught me. I really only wanted to come see you." Amber smiled, coming close to her.

 

 

"You've seen me so save yourself the torture and go home." Krystal said rather timidly, stepping back from her. 

 

 

"I think I'll stick around for a little bit." The quarterback was getting way to close to Krystal for her liking but just when she thought the girl was going to kiss her again, she sent her a cheeky smile before collapsing onto the big velvet couch in the changing room.

 

 

"Jerk." Krystal let loose a breath that she was keeping.

 

 

"What? You thought I was going to kiss you, huh?" Amber grinned at Krystal's reddening cheeks, "Don't worry, I won't do that again. For now. Not unless you ask me to." She winked suggestively. 

 

 

"This isn't funny Amber. I basically cheated on my boyfriend not even two weeks into our  relationship." Krystal said sharply, turning back to the mirror, "He's a good person. I don't want to hurt him."

 

 

"Not a good reason to stay with someone don't you think, just because he's a good guy."

 

 

"No it's not, but I also happen to like him. So there's a solid reason to stay." Krystal quipped, starting to remove the layers to her dress.

 

 

"I guess, if you're okay with settling for second best." 

 

 

The brunette swiftly turned around, "I am not settling. I do genuinely like this guy and I don't think it's fair that you're trying to belittle my feelings just to make me break up with him."

 

 

"Hey, I'm sorry I'm not..... I didn't mean to make you feel bad or upset you." Amber got up to hold her hands, not thinking about the consequences.

 

 

Krystal looked away but didn't retreat from the hold. 

 

 

"Then why do you insist on trying to break up my relationship?”

 

 

“I know it looks like that, but that’s not what I want. No, I mean that is what I want but I don’t want you to break up with him because of me, but because you want to.” Amber sighed and ran a hand through her hair when she saw that she wasn’t really conveying her message clearly, “I’m not making any sense. I’ve never ever felt this way before. I’ve never ever felt this overwhelming sense of urgency to want to fight for someone… not that you’re some prize that could be won or anything like that. No, never. What I’m trying to say is that, I’ve never been close to being in love before, and no matter how things will turn out, I’ll never regret that you were my first.”

 

 

At that moment, Krystal wanted nothing more than to flee out of that room because the rest of her willpower was waning and she was afraid that she might give in to her instincts. She was a tough woman though, and even though Amber managed to melt her with only a few sentences in ways that Kai or anyone else has never even come close to doing, she still has her dignity and most definitely would not give in that easily. 

 

 

Not even to Amber, who she would entrust her entire life and soul with, but was still wary to trust her heart with.

 

 

With years of experience, Amber saw the hesitance in Krystal’s eyes and knew enough to give her her space. She didn’t want to upset her.

 

 

“I’ll never stop trying to show you that I will be better, for you and because of you.” The older woman had a moment to brush her fingers with Krystal’s before the curtain’s to the large dressing area was pulled open and their friends walked in.

 

 

“Llama! I thought you adamantly said that you wearing a tux? Did you change your mind, because I have one spare.” Sulli smirked, holding up a dress similar to Krystal’s.

 

 

Amber smiled, glancing up to look at Krystal, who’s face was now composed.

 

 

“Nothing’s changed, I’m still not wearing a dress. Just here to be a busybody.” 

 

 


 

 

A/N : I am back? Is anybody still reading this? 

 

Alright, I know Krystal dating Kai is old news but I just need to say my peace. 

 

I'm not quitting this story, or quitting writing about kryber. When I write fanfiction, there's a detachment between the characters and the real people that inspire them. There's no reason for me to feel weird because I'm never really writing about real-life Krystal Jung or Amber Liu in my stories, but a version of them. That’s all.

 

Sorry for the huge delay, haven’t been inspired lately for this story until now. I’m also pretty much more invested in Mamamoo now as a group but f(x) will always be my first love and I’ll never leave them. That goes for this story too. I intend to finish this even if my updates have been erratic. I’ll try to update more so expect shorter chapters if I want to put them out more quickly.