Chapter 10

Alright, Deal

 

 

Amber’s POV

 

 

 

“You’re crazy.”

 

“I am not. By the way, I called you to ask for your help, not your opinion.”

 

“Lunatic.”

 

“I'm not a lunatic! I just need to be sure that Kai isn’t the cheating that I suspect he is! Now keep quiet!”

 

“Really thinking about admitting you to the loony bin.”

 

“Shut up Yuri you’re blowing our cover!”

 

At my outburst, an old lady that was passing by glanced at us and at noticing our suspicious squatting positions behind the fountain, she hurriedly started walking away. Well as much as her little old lady legs could anyway.

 

“Maybe we should blend in more.” I muttered, but didn’t move from my hiding place.

 

“Oh geez, you don’t say?” My cousin retorted, blinking innocently up at me.

 

“I have no time for your sass today, Yuri. There’s only one thing we should be focusing on and it’s to expose that lying man- Kim Jongin.” My eyes were in slits under my shades and I could almost feel the steam coming out of my ears at how pissed off I was.

 

“This is…. all on the basis of a snippet of a phone call you overheard, correct?”

 

“Yes. That’s enough to assume that he’s-”

 

“Yeah yeah I get it, a lying cheating motherfather man and the twenty other things you’ve accused him of being.”

 

“Why does it sound like you’re mocking me?”

 

“For starters, we’re dressed like two ninja-gangster cosplayers hiding in plain sight. Not to mention, we’re squatting behind a large fountain next to these people who I’m sure are two seconds away from calling the po-po,” I looked up to see the fat man that I was squatting next to staring at me like I was a new species of animal, “So yes, I am entitled to a fair bit of mocking since you literally dragged me out of my meditation hour to help out with this ‘secret mission’ of yours.”

 

I scoffed, “More like sitting in your room pretending to meditate while you e on Jessica suntanning next door.”

 

“That’s an absurd accusa-" Yuri sighed when she realized she was caught, "Jessica doesn’t know, does she? My pride may never resurrect from the dead if she does."

 

I raised my eyebrows and smirked, "Not unless you be a good girl and cooperate with me."

 

She looked at me pointedly, "You're really attempting to blackmail an ex-delinquent? I used to snack on spoilt rich-kids like you back then. Why the hell do you need my help so badly anyway?"

 

“For the exact reason that you were a delinquent is why I need you. I need your help to rough Kai up in the event that I do find evidence on his ."

 

The Hoodie-clad woman looked at me funnily for a moment. 

 

"You. Want me. To beat. Him up." She asked cautiously, as if talking to an infant.

 

"Do you want me to repeat that for you? I can say it in four different languages if you like." I rolled my eyes. 

 

“Amber, you do realize that I was shipped off to boarding school for that kind of behavior right.” She deadpanned.

 

I waved her off, "Yeah, but this is for a noble cause. It'll be a lesson to educate scum like Kim Jongin that he doesn't mess with someone else’s princess if he doesn’t want to walk away with busted nuts and maybe a fractured rib or ten." I shrugged nonchalantly. 

 

Yuri shook her head, "That would've sounded somewhat romantic if it didn't come out the mouth of a deranged psycho who's unrequitedly in love with her best friend."

 

I huffed irritably, more so because I couldn't genuinely refute that. She was mostly right after all.

 

"Are you helping me or not?"

 

"I don't really have a choice do I. I've been blackmailed by a lovestruck nutcase. Do we really have cover up so much though? My are sweating."

 

"Oh my God, Jessica's right. You do whine more than a two-year old poodle. I ditched the wigs, didn’t I?” I mumbled.

 

“You’re not serious. I thought that was a joke!”

 

“Shh shh I see him! That's him in the blue shirt! Wait…..… isn’t that Krystal with him?”

 

I pulled my shades down a little and true enough, the couple had just entered the mall arm-in-arm. 

 

My brow furrowed, irritated for another reason now. 

 

Didn’t she tell me that she had to work on an assignment with Moonbyul today when I asked her if she wanted to hang out? Why did she have to lie? Now that I think about it, she’s been using the same excuse the entire week. Did she think I would’ve been mad at her if she tells me she’s already made plans with Kai? I mean yeah I would’ve made a small fuss but I cant imagine why she needs to lie to me about it.

 

“Welp, looks like your elaborate secret agent setup is all for . Obviously he’s not cheating and the phone call was to meet with Krystal. Case closed. Eh, can we grab some dakkochi on the way back?”

 

I pulled her back down when made to move and she made a sound of protest.

 

“No, case is still ongoing. I clearly heard him telling the person on the other line to ‘make sure Krystal doesn’t hear about this.’ He’s up to something and I’m gonna kill him before Krystal does hear about it. Whatever it is that he’s hiding from her.” I pulled my Aviators back up, seeing that they were walking away from our direct view.

 

I grabbed Yuri who protested again at being manhandled, and followed the pair but made sure to keep a few paces behind.

 

“Enlighten me again, how did this conversation play out exactly?” 

 

My eyes twitched at seeing Kai’s hands move dangerously low on Krystal’s waist and I almost charged at him. I reigned my temper in, at least for now, until such time actual evidence is presented to me then I will freely go all king kong on his .

 

“I only caught the end of it. He said something about meeting this other person at COEX around 2.30. Then he said to not tell Krys about it and then ended the call with ‘Love you too, baby. So unless he calls his mother ‘baby’ which is pretty ing weird and unlikely, he’s definitely cheating on Krystal.” I growled, hoping to burn holes into the back of Kai’s jacket with my glaring. 

 

They walked into a restaurant and we waited a few minutes before entering. Fortunately, they were seated in the corner where they were partially hidden and couldn’t see the front of the place    .

 

“Uhm hello, would you two like a table?” A young man who worked here approached us and I recognized him instantly.

 

“Yo, Kyungsoo. It’s me.” I said quietly and lowered my shades.

 

A smile broke out onto his face and he extended his arms, “Amb-mmphh.” I quickly covered his mouth before he could finish.

 

“Sorry buddy, I can’t let Krystal know that I’m here. You did see her walk in right?” 

 

I let go of him and he looked confused, “Well yeah, when I saw you I assumed that you were meeting with them. Why don’t you want her to see you?”

 

“We’re on a secret mission.” Yuri winked at him excessively.

 

I ignored her since she was obviously making fun of me again.

 

“I’m lowkey trying to keep an eye on things. Make sure pretty boy over there doesn’t try anything funny with Kyrs. Do you mind if we sat in for awhile? We’ll definitely order something, that’s no problem.” I said, hoping that his gratitude to my parents for helping him set up his own shop would be in my favor.

 

“Well, it is a full house but I’m sure I can find a table for you.” The shorter man led us to a table and swiftly cleared the reservation card from it. He then leaned in and winked conspiratorially at me, “Good luck on your ‘mission’. Drinks are on me.” 

 

“So what’s next boss? Did you bug their table with a radio transmitter?” Yuri snorted.

 

I didn’t hear her as my focus was trained on the barely visibly couple. However, I could periodically hear Krystal’s distinct laugh loud and clear. I didn’t need a radio to tell me that she was having fun.

 

I grumbled under my breath, “Can’t believe him. Fooling my princess like she was the dressing on the side. SHE’S THE MAIN COURSE DAMNIT.” 

 

Heads turned and I immediately pulled my hood over my face more when I saw her looking in my direction. Luckily, she only glanced for a second and turned back around when everybody else did.

 

“Boss, look. He’s getting up.” Yuri observed and I checked my watch.

 

’2.27’ I think he’s going to meet this ‘baby’ of his right now.

 

“I’m gonna follow him. You stay here and watch Krystal.”

 

“Yeah, I’ll watch her. Not in the creepy, googly-eyed way that you do but yeah I’ll watch her. Ow!” I stepped on her foot on my way out and followed Kai.

 

Where are you going Kai….. it can’t be the washroom since there’s already one in the restaurant…… Honestly, I don’t want to be right….. because if I am that means that Krystal will find out eventually and she’ll be hurt….. she likes you a lot and that’s what worries me….. her first love……. if I do end up being right…… this will also be her first heartbreak…..

 

He stopped in front of a jewellery store and peered inside it. Then a smile grew on his face and he waved at someone inside it.

 

Not a second later did a short, rather spritely woman with a blonde pixie cut ran out of the store and jumped into Kai’s arms. My eyes narrowed on it’s accord and I angrily took out my phone to take pictures. 

 

I’ll just take a wild guess and say this the ‘baby’ he was talking to the other day.

 

‘Baby’ was still wrapped in his arms as she almost vibrated with energy. She squealed at one point and squeezed his neck in a hug, while the Kai was blushing silently. She continued to talk excitedly as he had his arms around her. Just before they parted, she leaned up to whisper something in his ear and slipped something into the pocket of his pants. She turned her head and kissed him firmly on the cheek. I almost broke my phone snapping that last picture.

 

He checked his watch then and even had the balls to look worried. 

 

All this still doesn’t prove anything yet, but I’ll be patient and talk to him after this date is finished. 

 

Oh-ho I’ll talk to him alright.

 

“I see the kid is still alive. What in the world could’ve possessed you to have such self-control.” My cousin remarked when I sat back at our table.

 

“Who knows, but one things for sure. ‘Baby’ is a real person. A female person. A female person who was all over Jongin and even kissed him at one point.”

 

“, they kissed?”

 

“It was on the cheek but she was being suspiciously affectionate with someone who already has a girlfriend.” I shot a glare at the man, who was also back in his seat pretending to be prince charming, “I really thought he was good for Krystal, my judgement is usually pretty accurate. After this we are totally gonna-”

 

“Actually, I’ve gotta leave.” Yuri looked at me apologetically.

 

“What, why?”

 

She gestured to her phone, “I’ve got my own princess to deal with. Jessica’s got me on an errand run, one of them is actually picking Krystal up later. I’d refuse but she’s paying me in the form of not turning me into stone so.”

 

“Or maybe you’re just whipped because you’re into her?” Despite the situation, a smirk appeared on my face.

 

“Just because I think she’s kinda-maybe-sort hot does not mean I want to date that evil Jung!” She exclaimed rather defensively, even though her cheeks were turning a shade too dark.

 

I shook my head and shooed her, “Fine. Leave. I don’t need you. I’ve got enough anger in me to beat him up myself.” 

 

Yuri stood up to leave but looked at me sternly before she did. 

 

“Make sure he’s recognizable after you’re done with him.”

 

“That depends on how guilty he is.” I said, watching in resentment as he his hands play with Krystal’s under the table.

 

~

 

“There’s only one thing brighter than the moon tonight, and I’m staring into them right at this moment..…”

 

I couldn’t contain it anymore and started roaring with laughter, tears were streaming from my eyes but for a a different reason entirely from the people seated around me.

 

The near-sobbing lady beside me was giving me a dirty look but that only made me giggle harder.

 

My mood lifted a little when I noticed a particular figure shaking in her seat, and I was very certain it was from laughing just as hard as I was. At least I know she isn’t buying this garbage. Why did she even agree to watch this? She hates chick flicks.

 

Kai probably thinks she’d eat this up and might get some ideas. Typical. 

 

Predictably in that moment, Kai’s lifted an arm and casually wrapped it around his date, pulling her closer to him and she (I’d like to think forcedly) leaned her head on his shoulder.

 

Called it. 

 

I threw a handful of popcorn at his head but he was two rows ahead and some of it ended up spilling onto the person in the row right in front of me.

 

Both of them turned around but I immediately slid down my seat, my hand raised to point at the lady beside me. A minute later, when they were back to facing the big screen, I threw one more kernel onto his greasy head for good measure.

 

I was bored again after that and groaned loudly, ignoring the lady that was scowling at me. 

 

How long is this sap-fest anyway.

 

~

 

I had almost lost them after the movie ended because the lady beside me was giving me an earful about my insolence. I managed to find them again and trailed the two all the way to the entrance of the mall. It seemed like they were saying their goodbyes.

 

Great. Now to get him when he’s alone.

 

Krystal was already halfway out of the front entrance when I was nearing him.

 

All of a sudden, he called her name. 

 

I panicked and spun around to lean against a wall, fiddling with my phone in an attempt to look inconspicuous.

 

Now at hearing distance, I could listen into their conversation with clarity.

 

“What is it, Kai?” Krystal asked as she walked back to him.

 

He was nervous. About what, I suppose I’m about to find out.

 

“I uhm…. I know we haven’t been dating long but…..”

 

I watched curiously as he pulled out what looked to be a bracelet from the same pocket that the blonde girl had slipped something in before. 

 

Krystal’s eyes widened at the piece of jewellery.

 

“Will you be my girlfriend?”

 

“This looks expensive. I- I can’t possibly accept this.” 

 

Kai chuckled, “It’s not much really. My cousin, baby, well her real name’s Choa but everyone in my family calls her baby because she acts like one most of the time. Anyway, her parents own a jewellery store here and she helps out part-time. She told me I could get half off if she could meet you in person.” He was blushing just like when he was with his cousin before. They must’ve been talking about Krystal.

 

I’m such an idiot.

 

“This is so thoughtful and sweet. I don’t know what to say.” She murmured as he put the bracelet on for her.

 

“You don’t have to say anything, nor do you have to give anything back. I just really wanted to give you something nice. Honestly, I was almost too nervous to give this to you. It’s not the most extravagant accessory. Nothing like the one you’re wearing around your neck.” Krystal’s hands automatically went to her necklace, the one that I gave to her, but her eyes were looking at the bracelet in Kai’s slightly shaking hands, “So what do you think?”

 

In one swift movement, she leaned up to press her lips against his.

 

“Yes, I’ll be your girlfriend.”

 

A terrible, unpleasant feeling spread through my chest. 

 

I left to give the couple some privacy and sat down on a nearby bench to properly reflect on things.

 

“I’m guessing this is karma for making fun of that lady.” I muttered, pressing on my eyelids that were stinging hotly.

 

Yuri was right. 

 

I am crazy.

 

My actions today were inexcusably that of a jealous best friend who stalked a couple’s entire date and accused a man of being a .

 

I was the only here. 

 

If I really admitted to it, I suppose I see Kai as this intruder to Krystal and I’s own little bubble. It’s only ever been the two of us since day 1 and I never thought it would ever change. I’ve spent most of my life protecting her. She was a grown woman now and that idea seems silly, but it’s always been my natural compulsion to want to keep her safe. 

 

To even entertain the thought that someone else can possibly do the same, it scared me. 

 

It scared me to think that maybe Krystal does not need me anymore.

 

 


 

When I reached my room, I was surprised to see a rather appealing sight on my bed. 

 

I can’t face her now. I looked I just poured acid on my eyes.

 

Well, I have been lying pretty well lately. I’ll come up with something.

 

At hearing the door open, Krystal flipped to her side and grinned cheekily at me. Her unintentionally seductive posture and the fact that she’s wearing one of my oversized shirts with nothing else, propelled my imagination to places that would make even Byun-Taeyeon blush. 

 

“You’re back. Do I dare ask what you’ve been up to all day?”

 

“Secret mission.” I removed my hoodie before plonking myself next to her.

 

“Does this secret mission involve popcorn, because I can smell it all over you.” She said, sniffing me like a dog would, “Did you go see a movie without me?” I knew she was just teasing but I was irritated that she’d lie to me and then accuse me of doing something when she was doing the exact same thing with her boyfriend just an hour ago.

 

“You know I’ve been waiting for you to be free to watch Spectre. Why would I watch a movie without you?” 

 

That did the intended effect and I could almost feel her guilt screaming from her head.

 

“How was studying with Moonbyul?” I decided to push further, waiting to see if she’d tell me anything about today.

 

“Her girlfriend Solar was over too, so we were chatting more than working.” She shrugged and pulled away from me to resume playing with my iPad. I noticed that she wasn't wearing her new bracelet, but the absence of it was only mocking me further.

 

I stared at her back for a long while, wondering if I should even bother fishing it out from her. If she wanted to tell me, she would’ve already. She wouldn’t have continued to lie about it.

 

Things were changing between us and for once, I didn’t know how to fix it.

 

Despite being so close at the moment, we were seemingly worlds apart.

 

I got out of bed and went to the bathroom to take a shower, but I lingered at the door to see her pull out her phone when she got a text.

 

Her eyes lit up and she was practically glowing.

 

“I love you.”

 

Krystal briefly looked up to acknowledge me.

 

“Hmm. Love you too, llama.”

 

 


 

A/N : I swear I meant for this to be a funny filler chapter to soften the blow of next chapter’s more angsty one, but this turned out pretty sad. Oops.

 

Is it evil of me to find it satisfying to see you guys affected by what I write? I think it just means that I’m doing my job properly. Hehe.

 

You guys might like the next chapter…..Or not…… Depends. >;)