Chapter 6

Alright, Deal

 

 

Amber POV

 

 

 

 

9.15

 

 

I glanced at the time on my laptop.

 

 

9.16

 

 

Two minutes later my frustration had reached it’s limit and I stopped drumming my fingers against the desk to stand up. The table had enough dents from my constant tapping at it for the past hour anyway.

 

After Krystal left for her dinner with Kai, running out of the house like her legs were on fire, I whipped up a simple meal for the two remaining Jungs like I was told to and went back home. All this was done in a daze and I spent the next two and a half hours in my room staring at my four walls. 

 

She should be back by now. There’s no reason for her to be out so long if it was just dinner. 

 

I got up started pacing my room, trying to ward off the my growing anxiety.

 

There was nothing in my vocabulary that could describe what I was feeling right now.

 

If I could describe it I would say it felt like I was going to miss a deadline on a very very important, life-changing assignment. Which totally didn’t make any sense at all and only served to worsen my headache. 

 

 

Ugh.

 

 

Maybe some TV would make me normal again.

 


 


 

 

Yuri's POV

 

 

 

The brisk air tonight did almost nothing to mitigate the outpour of sweat that was basically drowning my body by the time I finished my jog. When I finally reached the Liu compound, I was exhausted like no other so I plopped myself down onto the grass to cool off.

 

 

I felt like a vegetable. A drowning vegetable. 

 

 

Smelled like rotting horse though.

 

 

It may have briefly crossed my mind that I was in my sports bra and short shorts, spread eagle on the front lawn looking like a in heat but I was too worn out to give a crap. 

 

 

Two hours was just too long, I know that now from the way that my limbs lacked any feeling. My schedule has been so tight that I only had every other day to exercise. Between the multitude of college exams and assignments, the volunteer work at the local hospital that I signed up for, and not forgetting having to spend time with my cousins (taking care of the hungover ones for example), there hasn’t been much time for some 'me' time.

 

 

The thing is is that I can’t complain, knowing that a couple of years ago I wouldn’t have thought that I’d ever be able to have gotten my together what with the way that I was back then. 

 

 

Boarding school changes a person. 

 

 

Especially if you’re shipped off to a boarding school more than 5,000 miles away from home where the language was not even your second one, the only knowledge you had of the culture were in movies, and the only thing you all had in common was that, you did not want to be there.

 

 

Adjusting there took awhile, obviously. Conforming to society was as difficult as trying to stop a fart for me. I was a delinquent in every sense of the word, resisted everything good in my life, out of control with my emotions, and also majoring in -ology (as seen by a certain ice princess’s vengeful target on me due to said, past behaviour). There are no excuses for the things I did and the way that I was, but if I had to blame anything for my rebellious rampage, my parents divorce was the tipping point of the anger that I was bottling after a car accident that caused a leg injury that ended my dancing career before it even started, and then later having caught my first girlfriend cheating on me with another guy. 

 

 

It was a messy time in my life, but in the four years of living in that place I initially thought I was incarcerated in, I learned to love myself and eventually others again. My parents were still friends and I repaired my relationship with them overtime. My dream to be dancer will stay a dream for now, but I was alive and well so I shouldn’t complain. Also, I heard my ex-girlfriend and the dude that she was cheating on me with dated for two months until she caught him in bed with another girl…. and another guy. 

 

 

So all was good. 

 

 

New Yuri is totally zen. 

 

 

Hardly anything in the world bothers me these days.

 

 

“Are you dead?”

 

 

The happy thoughts in my head evaporated into nothing and I inwardly groaned. 

 

 

‘Yuri is chill. Yuri is calm. Yuri is chill. Yuri is calm.’ I repeated the words that I had to use for my therapy classes in hopes of bringing back the state of peace that I was so blissfully submerged in.

 

Then I felt a lazy kick to my side and the owner of the voice repeated her question.

 

I gave up with my mantra and reluctantly opened my eyes, staring back at the bane of my existence.

 

Ah, Jessica Jung Sooyeon. Of all people why did I have to pick on her. It’s not my fault I was unaware that she’d grow up to be the devil’s advocate. Slave-driving me at school like she owned me, and I only do it because she guilt trips me with the fact that I used to do the same to her back when we were kids. 

 

Yeah well she was a fat kid so she could hold my weight and it’s less humiliating to piggy-back someone when you’re TEN

 

 

We’re both grown women.

 

 

IT’S. 

 

 

EMBARRASSING. 

 

 

“What? Can’t a girl lie down on their front lawn in the middle of the night?” I asked, slightly intimidated by the dark, cat-eyes of my visitor. She was literally looking down on me at this point.

 

Jessica tilted her head, “Not when you look like a bloated starfish with your love handles on display.” She quipped without missing a beat.

 

My hands subconsciously went down to cover my exposed abs, abs that I was quite proud of up until this point. Damn you Jung, messing up my confidence like it was fragile and . Because I am not fragile. I am an attractive, intelligent, confident business woman.

 

I face-palmed. This woman has me quoting Ugly Betty in my head. What has become of me.

 

I got up in a feeble attempt at regaining my dignity or in case she decided to kick me again. 

 

“So is there a reason for you being here, not that I mind that Your Highness has graced me with her presence or anything.” I smiled sweetly at her when I regained my full height. 

 

Unfortunately this was the new and improved Jessica Jung we’re talking about, the one I’m unfamiliar with and the one that is well-equipped with a truckload of sass to bury me in. 

 

The old and new Yuri combined ain’t got nothing on this chick.

 

“I’m here to check with Amber if my sister is home from her date. I didn’t expect to see a smelly hobo.” She said, already walking towards the front door, “Since you’re here though, I feel like some Ramyeon. With egg and extra seaweed.”

 

I grumbled, while following her into the house, “I’m not your slave.”

 

“Obviously. You talk way too much for one.”

 

You are a-” I stopped short when I saw my blonde cousin in the corner, peering out of the window.

 

She was startled at seeing us all of a sudden and immediately spun around, inadvertently knocking over a couple of wooden figurines by the side table beside her and in a hasty attempt to save their fall, she tripped over a stool and collided with the wall.

 

Jessica hissed beside me, scrunching up her face. 

 

In a surprising act of thoughtfulness, she instantly walked towards Amber and bent down to her level.

 

“Did you and Soojung switch bodies? You’re supposed to be the coordinated one. What the hell were you doing there anyway?” She admonished, brushing her fringe out of the way to check for a wound.

 

Nothing. There was a loud bang just now, didn’t you guys hear it?” She mumbled, and Jessica looked at her with a pointed look.

 

“No bang Amber. Just you banging your head like the blonde you are. Come on. Kitchen. We need to ice that bruise I see growing.” The brunette said and helped my cousin up. 

 

“Bruise? Aw man. My beautiful face.” Amber groaned, being pulled by the hands towards the kitchen.

 

I stared after them in disbelief. Yeah fine, I half-expected her to burst into hysterical laughter and then leave the kid there as she is. Forgive me but given the way she treats me, my brain was wired to think the worst of her.

 

 

“Where does it hurt?” Jessica asked when Amber settled onto a stool next to the counter.

 

 

“My forehead and nose a little. Maybe my pride too.”

 

 

 The brunette shook her head, gently placing an ice pack on Amber’s forehead.

 

 

My mouth was hanging open at seeing the uncharacteristic display of affection. I was seeing the oldest Jung sibling in an entirely new light. I felt like the only one though because Amber didn’t seem the least bit phased that she was being mothered by the living incarnation of medusa.

 

 

As if…. kind Jessica was normal.

 

 

Jessica turned to me at suddenly realizing that I existed. 

 

 

“Where’s my Ramyeon?”

 

 

Annnnd we were back.

 

 

I sighed in defeat and started preparing, knowing full well that Jessica Jung gets what she wants eventually.

 

 

“Hey cuz, make that two. Ooh put cheese on mine.” Amber spoke from her seat.

 

 

“Ew.”

“Gross.”

 

Jessica and I uttered at the same time. We glanced at each other and looked away just as quickly.

 

“Seriously llama, why were you staring out of your window like that crazy hag down our street?” Jessica asked, now sitting on top of the counter and resting her feet on Amber’s lap.

 

 

“Mrs. Choi is not that bad, you judgy Jung’s. And I was just casually looking outside for a like a second, minding my own business, before you guys walked in.”

 

 

“You were stalking Krystal’s date, weren’t you?”

 

 

“Stalking is a little bit of a stretch. I just wanna see for myself that she gets home safe. Simple as that.”

 

 

“So simple that when you saw us you did an Elmer Fudd and jumped twenty feet in the air then smashed your face into a wall?” I asked from the stove.

 

 

“You smashed your face into a wall?”

 

 

All three of us turned to the doorway at the same time that two heads poked out from each side.

 

 

“Hey, you two kids are supposed to be sleeping. Jong, weren’t you in your room when I left the house?” Jessica asked, going on mother hen mode. 

 

 

“Yeah, but you know I-” Key cut him off.

 

 

“Baby Dino was scared.”

 

 

“Was not! I just don’t wanna be kidnapped or murdered. I’m a pretty solid build, there’s a lot of people who would love to steal my body parts and sell ‘em off.”

 

 

“Doubt it. You’re big head’s too heavy to lift.” Key smirked.

 

 

“That’s enough, you two brats please go to your rooms.” Jessica sighed.

 

 

“I smell Ramyeon! I want one.” Key sang excitedly and skipped over to stand beside me.

 

 

“The testosterone is high in this one.” Jong rolled his eyes, hopping on top of the kitchen counter next to his sister, “Yuri noona can I have some too please?”

 

 

He tried to rest his feet on Amber’s lap too but ended up fighting with his sister for the spot. Poor Amber had to suffer through the violence but it looked like she was too preoccupied with something on her mind.

 

 

“Yo! Am I your Ramyeon slave tonight?” I grumbled, waving my chopsticks in the air.

 

 

“Yes.” They chorused without even looking at me.

 

 

“Did I hear Ramyeon?” A new voice called out from somewhere in the house.

 

 

“Princess? That you?” Amber answered and shot up from her chair, knocking over the two legs that were still fighting for their footrests.

 

Krystal appeared and twirled around, a brilliant smile evident on her face.

 

 

“In the flesh. Miss me?” She sauntered over to Amber and planted a wet one on her cheek.

 

 

“No. I was worried. You were gone for more than two hours. What were you guys doing?” The blonde mumbled, trying to look cross with the other.

 

 

“Oh it was so great, Am. After a nice samgyupsal dinner, we went for ice cream and took a stroll at a park. We talked forever. I wouldn’t change anything about tonight.” Krystal sighed almost dreamily and rested her head on Amber’s shoulder. 

 

 

“You still should’ve called or something. I was two seconds from filing a missing person’s report.” Amber said, looking particularly stiff in Krystal’s arms that were wrapped around her torso.

 

 

“Aw I’m sorry babe, but Kai is very aware of the fact that I’m your girl and you’d probably skin him alive if he tried anything.” She said it so casually that I almost laughed, but it would probably happen though. Amber wouldn’t harm an ant but if that ant were to make Krystal even flinch, the insect would be stomped on to infinity and beyond.

 

 

“Good. Glad that’s clarified.” The blonde nodded, awkwardly patting Krystal on the head.

 

 

Jessica sighed contentedly, “That’s why I hardly have any big sister duties. I have my pet llama to do them for me.” She said and nudged the blonde with her foot.

 

 

“She’s my pet! Her name is Ambutt!” Krystal argued childishly, sticking her tongue out at her unnie while tightening her hold on her llama.

 

 

“You can keep her. She’s a terrible footrest anyway.” Jessica returned the gesture.

 

 

“Good. Mine.” Krystal confirmed and let go of Amber (who weirdly looked like she was trying to hold in a fart) to sit on a stool. Then she pouted, “I’m hungry again.”

 

 

I sighed. 

 

 

That was my cue.

 

 

“Hello, I’m Kwon Yuri you’re Ramyeon slave for tonight. What would you like?”

 

 

She grinned brightly, “Kimchi Sabalmyeon with egg and extra seaweed please!”

 

 

“Of course.” I mumbled and went back to work, “I don’t know why I’m made to do this when Amber’s the one who can cook.”

 

 

Amber, who was brought out of whatever la-la land she was journeying in, took a seat beside Krystal, “I’m injured, woman. I’m incapable of heavy-duty activity.”

 

 

“You have like a hickey sized mark on your forehead and a bruised ego.” I scoffed.

 

 

“You hurt yourself?” Krystal asked worriedly.

 

 

“She smashed her face into a wall.” Key said from beside me.

 

 

“Smashed your fa-…. you know what, I don’t wanna know. Are you alright though?”

 

 

Amber nodded, eyeing Krystal’s hand that was placed on her thigh, “Mmfine.”

 

 

Finally, I poured the last bits of noodles into the fifth bowl and placed it in front of Jessica.

 

 

“There, enjoy. It’s the most I’ve ever cooked in my life.” I said and watched as the wolf pack started devouring their food.

 

 

I turned and was startled when I saw that Jessica was looking at me with a smile on her face. 

 

 

I was utterly creeped out.

 

 

“Have some.” She said sweetly, offering me her chopsticks.

 

 

I hesitated for a bit, not trusting her shifty behaviour.

 

 

“Come on, I won’t bite. You’ll be the one doing the biting.” She winked at me and I swore my jaw fell to the floor and bounced right back onto my face.

 

 

I stepped closer and she bit her lip, inching the chopsticks closer to my mouth. 

 

 

God damn why was that so y........ like in a creepy predator way.

 

 

When I was close enough to take a bite, she leaned up and quickly pecked me on the cheek.

 

 

“Thanks for the food, Kwon.” She giggled and sat back down to resume her eating.

 

 

 

 

I didn’t get a bite. 

 

 

 

 

I think I may have gotten something far better though.

 


 


 

 

A/N : This was meh. Lol.

 

Short chapter I know I’m sorry but I’ve been pretty busy lately. I’ll try keep the updates weekly from now on at least.

 

Thanks for the comments, upvotes, and subscriptions. It means a heck lot to me to see people actually interested in my writing. Ya’ll are totally cool. ;)