Chapter 2

Alright, Deal

 

 

Amber’s POV 

 

 

 

“Great. It’s you.”

 

Yuri’s eyes followed the source of the voice and instantly her grin disappeared, eyes furrowing in confusion, “Brace-face? That you?”

 

A low growl emanated from the oldest Jung and she folded her arms, “It’s Jessica. Not that you could ever remember that.”

 

The tanned woman just stood there, mouth slightly agape, “I-wha…. . I must've been away for longer than I thought. You look, uhm, good” She swallowed, unabashedly trailing my neighbor’s form with appreciative eyes.

 

Jessica let loose a bitter laugh, “Today should be marked in history for being the first time you’ve ever said anything nice about me. If that even counts.”

 

At hearing that, the taller woman broke out of her reverie and sighed, laughing awkwardly herself.

 

“Aw, come on, Jess. We were young and stupid. I mean you were young, I was totally the stupid one,” She corrected quickly at the glare that was sent her way. It was also the first time that I’ve seen my cousin look even the least afraid of someone.

 

In the midst of the heated exchange between the two, there were five other spectators who were immune to the awkward environment.

 

I nudged Krystal on the side, “50 bucks says they end up banging by the end of the month.”

 

A hand met the back of my head and she hissed in my ear, “Ew. I do not want to hear the word ‘banging’ in the same sentence with my sister ever again.” A pause, “50 bucks says two months.”

 

“Deal,” We proceeded to ‘shake’ on it the only way we've been doing since we were 5, which was basically just a tug on the other's ear. People question it sometimes but we never could explain why we continue to do it. It was just our way of making promises.

 

Dong's head popped in between ours, "I want in too. I say the end of the month.” He whispered.

 

"Deal." Krystal and I both tugged on his ears a little more forcefully.

 

"Ow!"

 

Jessica's glare did not falter, making Yuri shuffle uncomfortably at the sight. Oddly enough it wasn't all because of fear, but also something else she wasn't ready to admit at the moment, given the circumstances, "Look, to you, it's not brace-face and it's certainly not Jess. That last one is reserved for people who I can look at without wanting to shove a tree up their-" She glanced at the two thirteen-year olds in the room who watching them intently, before taking a different route with her sentence, "For the length of your visit here, you're going to address me as Jessica and nothing else. That is if I allow you talk to me at all."

 

Yurt scratched the back of her head, looking a little worried at what she was going to say next, "I'm guessing you didn't get the memo then. This isn't a visit. Actually, I transferred to your university. I'm starting next week."

 

Five pairs of eyes intentionally drew away from the glare that was now directed at them. 

 

However, the hardened face turned into a thoughtful one, before a grin appeared. Oh dear lord, I knew that look. Krystal has that look when she gets an idea that could vary from the destruction of all humanity or, I shuddered, a plan for a shopping spree.

 

Jessica is up to something diabolical and there's nothing in this world that can stop a Jung if they get inspired. Bless your soul, cousin.

 

"Really now? Staying here for good..... I could work with that." She said mostly to herself, before her phone beeped. She glanced at the screen and started for the door, "I have to go now. I'll see ya'll weirdos." She waved at us before turning to a rather stunned Yuri, "Until we meet next." She winked at the taller woman, strutting out of the house like she owned the place.

 

Key let loose a loud breath, "Yuri-noona, I hope you survive long enough. The Jung's are a very intense breed." He said and rolled his eyes when Jonghyun looked proud at that.

 

"You got that right," I mumbled, still annoyed that Krystal's wouldn't allow me to have one stupid pizza to myself. Said girl pinched my nose and stood up to walk over to Yuri.

 

"Don't mind my sister too much unnie, you just had quite of an impact on her youth," She hugged the her in greeting, "And when I say impact I really mean you greatly destroyed her self-esteem and caused her to spend her entire early teens trying to repair it." Krystal tried to hide her laugh at the ashen look on the older woman's face, "Oh god I'm just kidding! It wasn't that bad!"

 

Yuri looked somewhat relieved at that, snagging her in a side-hug "Still that naughty little gremlin I see. Man, you and Amber used to get up to so much trouble when you were younger. You guys owe me so much for the amount of times I had to bail you out."

 

Donghae scoffed from the coach, mouth full of pizza. I inwardly growled at that. If Krystal would just turn away for one second, that pizza could be in my mouth right now.

 

"Bail them out? If I recall, you were the one helping those little monsters." He said and took another bite. One second......

 

"He's still bitter about the peanut butter incident." Krystal whispered not-so-softly to Yuri.

 

"What peanut butter incident?" Jonghyun inquired from beside Dong.

 

"I don't want it talk about it!" He stated firmly, grumbling to himself.

 

Krystal, Yuri and I shared a laugh at that, causing Donghae to grow even redder at the memory and the two youngest to grow more curious. Most of our childhood was filled with some pretty note-worthy pranks, courtesy of Krystal's over-active imagination and my inability to feel shame. We'd call ourselves the ' The Little Punks' because every one of our victims started calling us that anyway. 

 

We were bored rich kids. There really wasn't much that could keep us entertained for long.

 

Amber got up when the laughter died down and grabbed Yuri's bags. 

 

"I'll show you to your room. Everyone has a day off today so there won't be any help until tomorrow morning," I said and started up the stairs to one of the guest room. Krystal went to help with a bag as I predicted.

 

When we reached the top of the stairs, I turned around, "Hold up, I left something in the living room. Go on ahead. Your room is two doors down from mine." I said, trying to sound casual and bolted down the stairs.

 

I made it in time to the pizza box just when I heard a yell from upstairs.

 

"YAH! AMBER LIU YIYUN. THAT PIZZA BETTER NOT BE ANYWHERE NEAR YOUR MOUTH OR SO HELP ME."

 


 


 

 

A guttural sound of protest left my throat when the incessant poking to my ribs didn’t cease after a few minutes of blatantly ignoring it’s existence. I had initially regarded it as a dream, and promptly ordered my primate minions to ward off the banana republicans that were shooting balloon darts at my . The giggle that followed was what eventually woke me up and I cracked open an eyelid to be met with a pair of warm, hazel eyes staring back at me.

 

Krystal smiled in amusement when lucidity hadn't caught up with me yet as I continued to peer confusedly up at her with half-lidded eyes. 

 

“Banana Republicans, huh? Your addiction to Adventure Time is getting way out of hand.” She said as she laid beside me with one arm propped up to support her head.

 

"Princess?"

 

"Mhm, unless you have another one I don't know about." She pouted at me.

 

I yawned loudly, "No. Mine one only." I mumbled nonsensically, still heavily sleep laden. Krystal giggled again at my words, or lack thereof, and pulled my hands away when I started to rub my eyes. 

 

I looked at her again, smelling my shampoo on her.

 

“Did you go for your jog?" I asked.

 

“Did you need to ask? Got an entire mile in while your lazy behind was dead to the world." She replied with a playful scoff.

 

"I'll join you one day. Promise." I lifted a hand to tug her ear but she took it in hers before I could.

 

"I doubt that that's one promise you can keep. You're just not a morning person, babe. That'll never change." She said and patted me on the face, "Come on. Time to get ready." She said pulling me up by the arms, only to be pulled down instead. She landed on top of me and I circled my arms around her, stilling her against me, "Amber, no. We both know how you like to take your time in the mornings. You're gonna make us late." She chastised, moving to lift herself up. I tightened my hold around her and she fell back onto me with a grunt.

 

"Five minutes. Please." Was all I could get out as my eyes started drooping.

 

"You do this everyday, Amber. And we're always 5 minutes late. The teachers even gave up calling us out on it because we're so consistent."

 

She sighed when a light snore followed her words, showing defeat by adjusting herself on me. Her head rested on my chest as she lightly my side with her thumb.

 

"Every time," She mumbled, her eyelids starting to close as well, "Stupid llama."

 


 


 

 

I was pretty damn sure that the hand of the clock knew of my plight and made every effort to move at its slowest, at least in my opinion anyway. My fingers drummed my desk at an erratic pace as I fixed my eyes on the wall clock behind the teacher. Any time now.

 

Exactly 4 seconds before the clock struck 1, my had already lifted from my chair a little.

 

3....

 

2….

 

1….

 

Rrrrriiiiinnnggggg....

 

"LUNCH TIME!" The students were startled out of their sleep or concentration at my outburst. The teacher just shook her head at me and went back to her papers.

 

I could barely wait for Krystal to finish packing her things before I held her hands and practically dragged her all the way to the cafeteria.

 

"Amber hold your ! The food isn't going to run away from us!" My best friend tried to slow me down but I only saw chicken fingers in my vision.

 

"Excuse me, sorry. LUNCH TIME! Excuse me, it's lunch time please move. LUNCH TIME!" I kept repeating as I weaved us through the throng of students. Most of them were used to this and parted for us without much thought. The others were either chuckling at my exuberance or staring questioningly at the display. 

 

We reached the end of the line and I didn't hesitate to pile everything on my tray, much to the protests of my princess. She had always envied my ability to eat almost anything and everything and not gain a pound while she had to work to get the body that she has now. I told her in the most polite tone that I'd rather she not work so hard because it's becoming more and more of a challenge to ward off her fanboys. I'm going to have to get a gun license if this keeps up.

 

I paid for both of our meals and hurriedly went to our table. 

 

When I saw Sulli and Minho at the table, my eyes automatically narrowed at my team captain. Sulli and I had a longer conversation on skype last night and I have pretty much settled on the whole marriage thing. It took a lot of convincing on Sulli’s part and some coaxing from Krystal who had been lying against me the whole time. I only felt happiness for them both, but I figured a little fun would do no harm. After all, he needs to know it’s not going to be easy if he wants to marry Sulli.

 

I slowly descended into my seat, all the while staring down the nervous looking kid.

 

“Heh…. hey, Amber. You uh, heard the great news?”

 

Yes. Yes I did.” I answered shortly, my gaze never wavering.

 

Sweat dripped down his forehead, “And y-you’re okay with this?”

 

“Does it matter? You’re going to marry her anyway even if I disapprove, right?”

 

“I well, no. I mean ofc-…… is this a trick question?” He asked me worriedly, looking to his fiancé who was trying to suppress her giggles behind her hand. 

 

“Alright, you’ve had your fun. Now let the poor boy be.” Krystal patted me on the head, and instantly my hard stare turned into a cheeky grin.

 

I leaned over to pat Minho on his still shaking shoulders, “Chill out dude, I’m just ing with you.  Sulli let me mess with you once as compensation for allowing you to marry her. It was this or hunting you down with a pickaxe.” I shrugged, digging into my food.

 

“She’s still joking, honey. It’s Amber.” Sulli kissed him on the cheek and he slightly relaxed at that. I grinned up at him evilly only to stop when Krystal flicked me in the ear.

 

“Ow, princess. I may be a Greek God but I bruise too.” I pouted at her.

 

“Yeah, Greek God Amber, ‘Lord of the Pigs’.” She rolled her eyes at me.

 

“No, I’m Adonis’s hotter twin. Get it right woman.” I probably made her point when I spoke through a mouthful of jello.

 

"Gross, who let the dog out?" Luna made a face at me when she settled down onto the seat next to Sulli, clearly not enjoying the sight of me shovelling food into my mouth. Jackson was behind her and he sat next to Minho.

 

Krystal sighed beside me, “Sorry, I just found her out on the street the other day. She’s not exactly the cutest thing, but she does make a good foot warmer.” She tickled the spot underneath my chin and I scrunched up my face, nodding delightfully at the gesture.

 

“Did you name it?” Jackson smirked from beside Min.

 

She thought for a moment before grinning at me, “Ambutt.”

 

“You’re not calling me Ambutt.” I said plainly. 

 

“Aw my little Ambutt is cranky. I’m sorry come let me kiss you better.” She pursed her lips while pinching my cheeks. 

 

I turned my body away from her and she hugged me from behind, all the while trying to avoid her protruding lips that were trying to kiss my face. This went on for a minute or so, with me trying to pry her face away from mine and her almost climbing on top of me to plant a wet one, until Luna spoke up all of a sudden.

 

“Krystal, look who just walked in.”

 

She swiftly turned around, with her arms still wrapped around me. Kai was walking in our direction and as he was passing us, he briefly noticed our position before continuing to his table.

 

The arms around me loosened but she laid her head heavily on my back with a groan.

 

“He probably thinks I’m an idiot.”

 

“Worst. He probably thinks you two are dating.” Sulli quipped, a small smirk in place.

 

“Would you just ask the dude out already? You’re going to lose all the air in your body if you keep sighing like that.”

 

Intentionally, most likely just to irritate me more, she sighed.

 

“Its not as easy as that, Am. He's doesn’t seem the least bit interested in me.”

 

"He hasn't shown interest in anybody, Krystal. So that’s uh.… neutral sign I guess?” Luna offered, shrugging when Sulli sent her a weird look.

 

“Why are you even so attracted to him anyway? You hardly know anything about the guy?” I asked with a frown. For some reason, I didn’t like the idea that I knew nothing about him. At least I’ve known Minho since the first grade and I was sure of the fact that he was a perfect fit for Sulli.

 

This Jongin guy was nothing more than a stranger to me. He may seem harmless but if he’s going to be a potential boyfriend of Krystal’s, I needed to more than ‘seems harmless’ to go by.

 

“I don't know. There aren't any rules to attraction, is there? Maybe because he's the only single guy in this school that doesn’t shower me with attention," She looked at me then and it was one of those rare times where I couldn't read her emotions. The look disappeared just as quickly as it came and she continued, "It doesn't matter anyway. He’s never looked at me for more than three seconds. I doubt he even knows my name." She said with a hint of disappointment.

 

That expression of hers pulled at my heartstrings and I felt my protective instincts rise. 

 

Krystal always had a problem with rejection. Ever since we were kids, I was always the one who made friends first before introducing them to Krystal because she’s would be too shy to approach anyone that wasn’t me. Even back then people used to assume that she wasn’t friendly or was terribly stuck up, but I made it my duty to get it through everybody’s heads that she was not. That was probably why she was dubbed my princess and I her servant. 

 

Like I said, I would turn the world over for that girl.

 

"The I’ll make him interested. If he's not by the time I'm done with him then he isn’t worth pining for." I stated firmly.

 

She smiled fondly at my words and linked her arms with mine, leaning her head against my shoulder. 

 

"Or you can just get together. That'll save both of you some time." Jackson murmured to the group and they snickered.

 

"Amber, are you serious about wanting to make him interested in me?" Krystal asked softly so that the others couldn't hear.

 

"Of course, do you prefer I use a baseball bat or a walking stick as a weapon of persuasion?" I murmured into her head, only half joking.

 

She lifted her head and stared intently into my eyes, "You'd do anything to help me out?"

 

That unreadable indecipherable look of hers made an appearance, well-hidden emotions behind glassy orbs. I found myself trapped in them and for the first time in my life.... 

 

...... my heart skipped a beat.

 

I nodded with the slightest of hesitation. Her gaze made me feel odd things and I had a bad feeling that this was only the beginning. 

 

Her eyes bored into mine with intent. 

 

 

 

“Then be my girlfriend."

 

 


 

A/N : I know it might seem a little boring since nothing is really happening yet but I wanted to get a feel of the dynamic between Amber and Krystal. Now that that’s out of the way, let the good stuff commence….. well, maybe. I don’t know. I haven’t written it yet. Hehe?