Chapter 4

Alright, Deal

 

Amber's pOV

 

 

 

"Yes, princess...... No, princess....... Yes, I heard you princess ....... I'm listening, really. Fine, I'll prove it. Two tubs of mint and chocolate chip, six mangoes, three packets of bulgogi and a big wet kiss for your ever so loyal servant......... What, not even a peck?……… A thank you maybe?…….. Hullo? Princess?" I sighed when the line went dead and I shoved my phone back into my pocket. 

 

I sped past the compound and into a parking space with an accuracy that would make any professional drifter weep.

 

The car roared one last time and Yuri jumped out the car before the engine was even switched off.

 

When I got out I saw her kneeling on the ground, muttering to herself.

 

"Ah come on it wasn't that bad." I said, grabbing our duffel bags from the trunk.

 

My cousin stood up on wobbly legs and looked at me with slight fear, "N-not that bad? You drive like Toretto jacked up on steroids!" She yelled at me, checking to see if she was still one piece.

 

I grinned at that, "Thank you."

 

She rolled her eyes and snatched her bag from me, "I'm surprised your parents let you buy that monster. More so, let you even drive."

 

"Where do you think I got my skills from?" I asked as we walked towards the country club. The girl at the front desk looked up from her book when we approached and she smiled shyly at us.

 

"Morning Suzy, you're not taking a day off? We had a pretty big test yesterday." I asked the girl who was avoiding my eyes. She was my year and we have a few classes together but she always seemed hesitant to talk to me when she was friendly with everybody else. My reputation might precede me but I always made sure to be nice to everyone. 

 

She tucked her hair behind her ear and spoke softly, "I didn't have anything to do today so my dad said I should work." Her parents owns the country club and she works there part time because they said that she should try working odd jobs to build character. I actually admire that about her when all the rich brats at our school would rather squander their time and money away than work.

 

I smiled, "Parent's, huh? My dad makes me play football even when we're on vacation." I tried to start a small conversation but she kept quiet, fiddling with her hair. 

 

I nodded, glancing at Yuri who had an amused look on her face, "Right. So this is Yuri, just sign her in under me." I said and gave her my membership card. Suzy wrote the details down and gave my card back quickly. 

 

I thanked her with a smile and she returned it with a small one. 

 

"Man. It's like she thinks I'll pounce on her or something." I sighed as we headed to the tennis court.  Fortunately only one court out of the three was taken so we didn't have to wait.

 

"Uhm I think she'd like that very much actually." Yuri chuckled, taking out her gear.

 

"What?" I asked her confusedly.

 

My cousin shook her head at me, "My dear oblivious cousin. It's quite a mystery how you've had so many girlfriends and yet are still absolutely clueless about the girls who are crushing on you."

 

I raised an eyebrow at the newfound information, "Wait, Suzy likes me?"

 

Yuri patted me on the back, "Stop driving like total psychotic speed freak. The adrenaline is muddling your brain. Or maybe you were just born like that." She shrugged and walked to her side of the court.

 

I thought about that for a bit and called after her retreating form, "Hey you said girls! You mean there are others I don't know about?!"

 

I was asnwered with only a 'you're an idiot' look.

 

 

 

 

"YAH! Kwon Yuri answer me!!!"

 

 

 


 

 

"Speaking of your parents, that's a long vacation they're on."

 

I sipped on my soft drink and relished in the fact that Krystal wasn't here to chastise me about it. Our tennis game ended around noon and we decided to spend the rest of the afternoon chilling by the pool. It was Yuri's idea and I had a feeling she wanted to delay the trip back in my car for as long as possible. Weakling.

 

"They needed the break and I'm glad they took the time off to remember what it was like to have fun." I said, blatantly checking out the girl who just surfaced from her dive in the water. She was really gorgeous, with her long locks draped over her sizable chest but something was stopping me from going up to her and getting her number. 

 

Right. I was temporarily pretending to date my best friend. She's tying me down and we aren't even dating for real. Not that I wanted it to be real. I mean, I've never once considered the idea. Because it's ridiculous. Totally.

 

"They're with Krystal's parents right?" Yuri asked, seeing that she was checking out the same girl that I was eyeing. I raised my eyebrows and she mimicked it, matching my grin as well.

 

It was so nice to have my cousin back. Krystal is undoubtedly the closest person to me but I couldn't do this with her. Hell no. I would either get my ears pinched or a long lecture about objectifying woman, to which I'd counter back with saying that it's a double standard because girls see me as a piece of meat all the time. I'd earn another pinch for it and that would be the end of the argument on my part. I almost feel sorry for her future husband. Almost.

 

"Yeah, mom called me a few days ago telling me she found dad and Uncle Jung passed out on the beach one night when she and Aunt Jung came back from the day spa. They've rediscovered they're old college selves and she and Aunt Jung are not too pleased with that. I just wished I was there to witness that mess." We laughed at the thought of the two men, who are the most influential people in their fields in Korea, drunkenly terrorizing the guests at the resort. My dad was already a total dork, imagine it amplified with the help of some good old alcohol and you get a six-feet two man with the wit of a 5-year old. He was my father alright. 

 

I shook my head, " Yeah the only thing that would make their trip better, well for us 'kids' anyway was if Dong and The Ice Princess weren't left in charge. I would've made use of that big house for house parties that I could've had in the last week if not for them. It's not fair, they've done it a million times before, why can't I?" I didn't mean it to sound whiny, but it really wasn't fair. Being the middle child meant that I wasn't old enough to be trusted with authority, and not young enough to aegyo my way out of everything. 

 

Yuri nodded absently, feeling no sympathy for me because she was focusing on something else instead, "So Dong and Jessica are close, huh? Like are they... Did they ever...."

 

"Date?" I offered, not even trying to hide my amusement. Looks like I'm wining this bet my princess, I thought evilly. 

 

She was feigning nonchalance but it was too late. She wouldn't be interested if she wasn't asking.

 

"No, never. I'd have a better chance at scoring with Miranda Kerr than them even thinking of dating. Those two are like Krystal and I." I said. Well, not at the moment, I thought bitterly as I stared like a kicked puppy at the hot girl who was now lounging on a poolside chair.

 

"You and Krystal? I doubt it," Yuri mumbled to herself but I could barely hear it, seeing as I was busy ogling the girl.

 

"How are you and the devil anyway? She smiting you with her evilness yet?" I smirked, knowing full well of the capabilities that the older Jung possessed. If Krystal wielded the power to get anything she wanted, Jessica was the original brat who created that skill. 

 

Yuri automatically flushed, “That woman….. she’s driving me nuts. Not in a good way either, at least not all the time anyway.”

 

I quirked an eyebrow, “What in the world does that even mean?”

 

“That’s the thing! I don’t know,” she said exasperatedly, “One minute she’s flirting with me like nobody’s business and the next she’s barking at me to do stuff for her, and I don’t know why I do it!”

 

“Maybe because you want to ‘get up in that’.” I mumbled, repeating what that the kids in my class said about me and Krystal.

 

“What was that?” Yuri asked, not catching what I said.

 

I coughed and improvised on the spot, “I said, the guilt is probably eating you up. You did treat her like crap when we were kids." I reminded her.

 

"Exactly! I was a kid. You can't blame me for the dumb things I did 10 years ago!" She exclaimed, infuriated that we keep bringing the past up.

 

"Don't be mad that you made fun of her for being an ugly kid, only to find that karma bit you in the for making her smoking hot now with vengeance in her mind." I laughed at her predicament but then stopped short, "Did I just call Hellsica smoking hot?" I shuddered and took a napkin to scrape at my tongue for good measure. 

 

As I was doing this, I caught a familiar face in the corner of my eye. Who would've thought of all places I'd meet him here. 

 

The shaggy haired man walked over to the bar where we were sitting and ordered a drink, leaning on the counter as he spoke amiably with the waiter. His body was wet from the swim he just took and I begrudgingly noticed that he had a pretty impressive physique. 

 

I suppose if I was being fully honest, he was an attractive man. 

 

Not that I was personally attracted to him, I was gayer than Richard Simmons with a pride banner stapled to my , but something in my gut stirred at the thought that he might soon be dating my best friend. I was protective of my princess, yes, but that didn't explain why I suddenly felt so uncomfortable at the thought of his chiseled body being close to Krystal.

 

Still, I was supposed to be doing her a favor so I swallowed whatever it is I was feeling.

 

"Hey, Kim Jong-in is it?" I called out to him and he turned to me, "I'm Amber, we go to school together." I informed him in case he didn't recognize me. I doubted it though since I've caught him looking at Krystal a few times, and I was always with her. Obviously, I never told her this because I didn't want her to get her hopes up. 

 

And for other reasons I'm not too sure why myself. 

 

He acknowledged me with a polite smile and walked closer to us with his drink in hand as he held out the other for me to shake, "Hi, yeah I've seen you around school. Call me Kai though, Kim Jong-in can be a mouthful." He chuckled and shook Yuri's hand as well.

 

"Sure, Kai it is then. This is my cousin Yuri, she's studying at JYP University with Krystal's sister, Jessica. You know Krystal right?" I asked, getting right to it. Why waste time, his muscles were making me more self-conscious than I'm willing to admit. 

 

His expression wavered by the tiniest of fractions, but I saw it just in time before he smiled again, "Yeah, you guys are uhm dating now right? Sorry if I'm assuming, rumor spreads in this school really fast." He said apologetically, although I could sense a tint of hope lacing his words.

 

How the hell hasn't Krystal noticed the in-your-face crush that this guy has on her? He's more obvious than a pink rhinoceros with a neon sign over it in broad daylight. Blind Princess, is blind.

 

Hopefully, princess will be blind to his balloon abs as well because what in the hell are those things on his stomach?

 

It's a six-pack, Amber. Something you'd have if you didn't keep defying Krystal's orders to quit your addiction with junk food.

 

"Hold the phone, you and Krystal are dating now? Oh my god, finally dude! Why didn't you say anything?" Yuri clapped me on the back enthusiastically and I literally spat out my drink. Yikes, completely forgot that she was here.

 

"Yeah, yeah we are. Nothing serious yet though. We're still in the courting phase," I laughed rather loudly and pulled Yuri's head to me, harshly whispering into her ear, "We're not really dating just play along for a bit. Or better even, just don't talk," I turned to face Kai again who was thankfully minding his own business and looking elsewhere.

 

"So Kai, you c-come here often?" I asked and mentally face-palmed myself for the slight stutter. Blame Yuri for making me nervous after that almost blunder. Krystal will literally kill me if I screwed this up. 

 

Kai didn't seem phased and answered casually, "My parents do. It's my first time coming here. I'm actually relieved I saw you, was getting pretty boring hanging out by myself. And all people do here is stare. It's pretty weird." He commented, looking briefly at the hot girl that I was checking out before and saw she had her eyes glued to Kai. 

 

My eyelid twitched funnily at that. Was this man going to steal all the women in my life? 

 

No, what was I thinking? I'm doing this for Krystal remember. I shook my head to clear my oddly dysfunctional thoughts. Maybe I really should listen to Krystal and stop drinking caffeinated beverages. It was screwing with me like no other today. 

 

"Maybe because you're smoking hot?" Yuri mocked me quietly, laughing as she reused the term I had used to describe Jessica. She seemed to be enjoying my apparent discomfort at the situation or Kai, either one was bothering me for reasons unknown. 

 

I slowly faced her with a faux smile, "Didn't I tell you to shut up, unnie?" I said in a cloyingly sweet voice to which she closed but still continued snickering to herself. Whatever pity I felt for what Jessica had in store for her evaporated instantly. Stupid Kwon, you're on your own.

 

Kai didn't hear her comment and spoke again, "Are you going to Taeyeon's party later? I heard she throws the sickest parties." 

 

"Yeah, dude. We're both going, Krystal and I, together, to the party." I scrunched my nose at how awkward that sounded. Thinking it was the soft drink, I pushed it away from me slowly, eyeing it with mistrust. 

 

"Sweet! I'll see you there then. You're pretty cool Amber. We should chill sometime." He said with a friendly smile and I returned it uneasily, although it went unnoticed by him as he waved us goodbye as he left.

 

"What the hell was that?" Yuri asked, just as weirded out by my behavior as I was.

 

I grumbled, still stubbornly blaming it on the drink, "I don't know. He gives me weird vibes."

 

Yuri scoffed, "He's one of the most polite kid I've seen around. You're the only one giving weird vibes here."

 

I hated to agree with her, but she was right. One conversation with him doesn't prove to me his worth, however I can tell that Kai is not the douchebag I was secretly hoping he'd be. 

 

Initially, I had thought my worries were due to my own vanity.

 

Now I wasn't so sure why I wanted so badly to find things to hate about him. 

 

My cousin was looking at me with a knowing look, but I was too preoccupied with my thoughts to question it. She nudged me in the shoulder and said the words that would be subconsciously stuck with me for a long time.

 

"You've got a good thing going on now. Don't wait until you realize it's too late to get it back after its gone. Something always needs to be gone for it to be missed."

 

 

 


 

 

"Are you sure Amber? You don't think the top might be a little too revealing?"

 

I gritted my teeth, half in irritation and the other half trying to preserve my sanity because for the love of God if she makes me look at her cleavage one more time I could lose it.

 

"No, it's not, princess. Most of the girls there will have half their out. Just keep yours inside and you'll be fine." I deadpanned, wanting nothing more than to divert the topic to something else other than her s. 

 

It was a grave mistake telling her about my first meeting with Kai and that he was going to Taeyeon's party too. From then on, it was as if she switched from looking forward to the party, to going ape obsessive over what she was going to wear. I probably wouldn't have minded so much had she not thrown me a load of questions about our conversation and him in general. 

 

It got to a point where I was bordering on wanting to tape and risking the wrath of the mini ice princess. Anything to get her to shut up about the guy.

 

"Okay fine, I know I'm being a pain. I only want to look nice in front of him." She said with a side-glance my way. My grip tightened on the steering wheel as hard as my teeth gritted together.

 

I was starting to think she was doing this on purpose.

 

I managed to snag a parking spot in front of the house which was an achievement in itself because I'm sure at least half of the school was here. It's Taeyeon's party we're talking about after all. Possibly one the biggest party animals you'll ever meet. Anything can happen at her parties.

 

I hadn't even fully gotten out of my car when a girl, probably drunk out of her mind, tripped on her own feet and fell over me. 

 

"Whoah, easy there. You alright?" I asked, trying to grip her elbows and tried to push her upright but she kept clinging on to me for support.

 

"Ohmsorry I didn't see-" the girl stopped her slurred attempt at an apology when she looked up and saw my face, her eyes growing wide with realization. She then turned to the right and saw a rather displeased Krystal looking at our embrace with folded arms.

 

"Uhm h-hello.... Krystal-unnie I didn't, I mean Krystal-shi. I'm not trying to-" The girl rambled on and suddenly pushed me away, trying very hard to disregard my existence. That seemed to have sobered her up a great deal and she started repeatedly bowing to her while pacing backwards.

 

Krystal shook her head and pulled me towards the house when the girl disappeared into the backyard, still bowing like it could save her life, "I didn't even have my glare on full effect this time. The fact that you're officially mine now is repellant enough."

 

"We better get this over with soon or I won't have anymore girls that would want to talk to me by the time we 'break up'." I grumbled playfully as we walked through the front door and were immediately bombarded by the unpleasant smell of smoke, sweat, and booze.

 

It's not a Taeyeon party without either of those three.

 

 

"Good. Makes my job easier."

 

I bumped her hip, "Pain."

 

"."

 

I gasped, scandalized, "Jerk!"

 

"Slob."

 

"Pig."

 

"Buttfa-"

 

 

"KRYBER!"

 

 

I hadn't realized that our faces were inches apart during our banter and I turned away quickly in case any weird thoughts tried to resurface. There was enough of that at the country club this afternoon and I don't intend on ever reliving it again.

 

It was none other than the host for tonight who called for us over the thumping music as she tried to make her way through the gyrating bodies. 

 

"Kryber Kryber Kryber. How is it that I only knew about you two this morning. I saw it coming you know, obviously who wouldn't? You're like married without the benefits." Taeyeon said with a hint of a slur as she draped her arms over our shoulders.

 

"Sulli said the same thing." Krystal smiled at him, seemingly unfazed while I was getting uncomfortable with how many people have said that they 'saw it coming'. 

 

I've never once considered how close Krystal and I looked like to the public eye because we were so comfortable with each other it was second nature. I do recall people on the street or shopkeepers complimenting us on how good we looked together but I don't mull over it to a point where it bothered me.

 

Does everybody see us that way? Does our families?

 

Oh god I can't stand my thoughts right now.

 

Thankfully, I was pulled out of it when I felt that I was being dragged away.

 

"Sorry Krystal, gonna borrow her for a bit! Tied down or not, Amber will always be my best party buddy. I'll try to keep the girls off of her!" She said after her, grinning mischievously.

 

Krystal frowned at that and shouted back, "You better Kim Taeyeon! I'm very possessive of my belongings!"

 

The shortie chuckled at that and patted me on the back, "Girlfriend's got you on a tight leash, eh? Looks like my plan to have a bro night isn't happening. Too bad, there's this gorgeous blonde who is crazy about you out back." She shrugged, entering the spacious kitchen that felt cramped with all of the people. She handed me a drink and mixed another concoction for herself.

 

Too bad indeed, I thought bitterly and remembered the hot chick from the country club. 

 

"Nah, Krystal's the only girl I think about nowadays." It wasn't really a lie, because my best friend has been weirdly occupying my thoughts ever since we started this charade yesterday. I still couldn't figure out why though.

 

Taeyeon snorted, "Never heard you say that before. Your past girlfriends didn't have the privilege of being 'the only girl Amber Liu thinks about'."

 

"Yah! I'm not a cheater! Even then.... Krystal is different, I'd never do something like that to her." I stated with a conviction that surprised me. True, we were not really dating, but if we were I couldn't even bear the thought of hurting her like that. She's my best friend first above everything else and that's what separates her from all of my other girlfriends. 

 

"Aww, the Amber Liu is actually revoking her player status? Hold on, I think I just heard a chorus of wails in the distance," Taeyeon cupped a hand or her ear as she said this. I rolled my eyes and she laughed at me, "No, really though, I'm happy for you, man. You've finally found stable ground. At least there'll be more chicks for us now that you've left the game." Taeyeon winked, and held her cup to me, "To Krystal! She's super y, but super scary. Good job, and good luck." 

 

Amber had to suppress the instinctive 'ew' at referring to her best friend as hot but reminded herself that that won't be appropriate. It was true anyway, Krystal grew up to be a pretty y woman.

 

 

Okay, ew.

 

 

What. The. What.

 

 

First I called Jessica hot and now Krystal is y?

 

 

 

AM I GOING THROUGH PUBERTY AGAIN? 

 

 

 

I STILL HAVEN'T FINISHED THE FIRST ONE.

 

 

 

My thoughts were acting up lately and I needed to find a way to squish it before it grows into something that I could act on. Because God forbid that I verbally communicate my thoughts to anyone, especially Krystal. 

 

I groaned pitifully and downed the only cup that I was allowed to drink for the night.

 

 


 

 

As it turned out, Amber really had a propensity to say yes to everything.

 

By the end of the night she was beyond going against her decision to not drink too much (that went down the drain as seen by the copious amount of shots she downed in the last hour) and was well on her way to seeing doubles.

 

"........ Because nobody told me why and then I said," Amber paused for a good long minute, leaving those who were listening hanging on her word, "And then I said..... , what was it……AH Christ, just f-f-forget it."

 

The joke that Amber was trying to relay was forgotten but the whole room burst into laughter anyway. When the blonde was drunk and having given up on something, she’d end up saying that. Most who knew her well enough were anticipating that more than they were her joke. 

 

"Okay, who got my llama drunk this time."

 

The whole room erupted in 'ooo's at the arrival of the ice princess and some fled the scene playfully to avoid her wrath.

 

"PRINCESS. Where have you BEEN. I've been looking all over for youuuuu...." I yelled and crossed my arms in a very Krystal-like fashion.

 

"Excuse me? I've been looking all over for your drunk eve since Tae dragged you off. Where is that kid anyway, I'm going to kill her." She grumbled and surveyed the room.

 

Sulli walked up from behind her and smirked at me, "Drunkber is here. Damn, we missed a good part of it too." She nudged a boy sitting on the couch, "Did she say it yet?"

 

"Yup." He snickered, knowing exactly what she was referring to.

 

"Aw, shucks." Sulli snapped her fingers.

 

“Sulli. Trying to scold a llama here." Krystal hissed, turning back to me, "You come down now or I'll drag you by the ear. Do you want me to do that in front of all our friends?" She said in the most sugary voice she could muster, while her eyes were trying to kill me on the spot.

 

"Anyi, princess. I'll come down now." I mumbled obediently like a child and hopped off from the table I was standing on, which in hindsight wasn't my brightest moment because the next thing I know I was kissing the floor with my body in an odd angle.

 

"Aish, you stupid jock. Why did you drink so much?" Despite her admonishing tone she rushed to me and tried to help me up while everyone else was pissing their pants from laughing so hard. She dusted me off when I managed to stand up, holding me by the waist, "Did you hurt yourself? If not, I'll hurt you myself for being an idiot." She glared at me but I could see her worry.

 

"Krystal! Kiss her better!" Someone hollered from behind us and many sounds of assent followed.

 

"Yeah! I've never seen you guys kiss before. Have you even kissed each other yet?" Sulli added to the chorus of drunk people, grinning up a storm, knowing full well of our little secret.

 

"Of course we have." Krystal brushed it off quickly, trying to get me to sit down on the couch.

 

"Let's see it then!" Taeyeon piped in as she entered the living room with a few people.

 

Krystal whipped around and pointed a finger at her, "You! I told you to keep an eye on-" I didn't let her finish and pulled her arms, making her lose her balance as she fell onto my lap. The action was partly due to my rather childish nature when inebriated, but it also had something to do with Kai walking into the room after Taeyeon.

 

In my alcohol-induced state, I couldn't properly comprehend the butterflies that swarmed my insides at her basically straddling me, watching me with an odd look in her eyes. 

 

Although I was too far gone to even complete a sentence, I looked at her with as much clarity as I would with a sober mind. It took this closeness and my weird thoughts resurfacing to realize that my past girlfriends never really had a chance in the first place, because they would constantly be compared to Krystal. I always knew, deep in the farthest recesses of my mind, that there was nothing to compete with anyway.

 

 

 

It was always Krystal.

 

 

 

It was right then in that moment, that I knew I was in trouble.

 

 

 

The room chanted in sync.

 

 

 

"KISS HER. KISS HER. KISS HER."

 

 

 

But I couldn't hear past the low drumming in my chest.

 

 

"Amber...." She whispered questioningly, her voice a lilting reprieve from the rowdy crowd and ear-splitting EDM.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

And then I kissed her.

 

 


 

 

A/N : Nothing much here, just Amber spiraling into denial and borderline psychosis over her feelings. Ha. Ha.

 

It's only gonna go downhill from here. I've got some in store for them. Teehee. 

 

Thank you to all of those who reviewed, subscribed and voted. It gives me weird feelings inside. Nothing like what Amber feels, for sure, but close. ;)