Chapter 14

Alright, Deal

 

Yuri’s POV

 

“So Amber and Krystal we’re dating for like a minute and a half, but they we’re faking it, just so Krystal could get Kai’s attention, but in reality, it was Amber’s attention she wanted but when she didn’t get it, she settled for Kai instead, then later Amber realized she was in love with her but Krystal was starting to already like Kai, but she’s still not in love with him, so now they both know and are confused as . Then Amber ed up but they made up and now Amber’s been persistently flirting with Krystal now that they’re okay again? Did I get it right this time?” Tiffany asked the two girls in front of her.

 

“You have the basics.” Yuri shrugged.

 

“How do you two know about this anyway?”

 

“Taeyeon told me and Jessica kind of…. forcibly dug it out of me.” Yuri glanced warily at the girl next to her. 

 

Jessica looked innocent as she sipped her tea.

 

“I knew all along, of course. I just enjoyed the look on your face as I interrogated you with that banana.”

 

Tiffany quirked her eyebrows, “How’d you interrogate her with a banana?”

 

Yuri slammed her drink on the table, emitting a sound that resembled a pig’s squeal.

 

“It doesn’t matter. None of that matters. We were talking about Amber and Krystal?” The woman squeaked again and looked really indecisive of where to place her feet. 

 

“Anyway. Speaking of high school, is that little gremlin still trying to climb her way up into your pants?” Jessica smirked at Tiffany who blushed instantly at the mention of the shorter girl.

 

“Don’t be mean. She’s…. sweet.”

 

“But she’s still in pre-school.”

 

High school. We’re barely two years apart.”

 

“When it’s between your teens and twenties, it might as well be ten years apart.” Jessica replied.

 

“It doesn’t matter anyway. Her reputation as a womanizer is a little hard to ignore. I can’t go through that again.”

 

“Babe, do you really believe that or is it coming from the Tiffany that just got her heart broken by Nichkhun talking.” Jessica asked pointedly, “Listen, as much as I’ll tease you about the muppet I can tell from the times I’ve met her that she isn’t half the that that man was to you.”

 

Tiffany looked uncomfortable about the topic of the conversation being about her so she immediately diverted it, “What about you guys. Since we’re apparently delving deep into the love lives of the common rich folk, I can’t help but notice you too cozying up to each other a little more these days.”

 

Yuri and Jessica looked at each other then at her with the same expression of disgust.

 

Excuse me?”

“What are you getting at?”

 

Tiffany looked nonchalant as she took a bite out of her muffin.

 

“You two look a lot less volatile together these days, is all I’m saying.”

 

“Well, yes, I feel a lot less like puking whenever she’s in my presence now, I admit. It hardly means anything.” Jessica stated.

 

“Yeah and I’ve paid all of my moral debts to her so she we’re even now.”

 

“Hardly. A whole youth of emotional torment cannot be replaced.”

 

“Oh come on don’t start with that again. I can’t possibly undo the past. It’s just undoable.

 

“You’re undoable.”

 

“That made so much sense, I am totally enlightened now.”

 

“You’re a piece of work you know that.”

 

“You’re a piece of blah you know that.”

 

“What the is a blah hasn’t your vocabulary exceeded cow by now?”

 

Tiffany sat back and sighed in peace. 

 

Order has been restored and she’s successfully gotten them off of her case. She looked at her phone and stared wistfully at the latest message from the object of her thoughts. Maybe it’s finally time she called Taeyeon back.


 


 

2 years ago

 

“It’s not Namjoon is it...”

 

“Gross.... I have standards, mind you.”

 

“Henry. I’m betting on it. You’re always spying on our football practices.”

 

“You’re my ride home, Amber. I’m kind of obligated to hang around your smelly practices.”

 

“Princess, I can see your googley eyes from the field. You’re not hiding .”

 

Krystal’s face turned a faint shade of pink and she promptly turned away from the jock who she was lounging against on the grass. Said jock grumbled and threw an arm around the smaller girls waist, pulling her in against her will. Krystal protested as she swatted at the girl who had her in a locked embrace and started giggling when the taller girl was gnawing at the back of her neck.

 

“Amber don’t be an ! You know I’m sensitive!” Krystal squirmed, laughing loudly.

 

Amber released her hold and Krystal fell on her back, breathing wildly, “Oh so I’m the ? And what are you? My best friend in the whole universe who refuses to tell me who she’s suddenly developed the hots for? The same best friend whom I’ve known since we were fetuses, and has never once shown any interest in another human being?” 

 

Krystal rolled her eyes, “I don’t have the ‘hots’ for anyone. You’re being dramatic, as usual.”

 

“You’re the best liar the world has ever known, but not to me….. and, well maybe your mom too. So spill.”

 

“So what if I did like someone. Why are you so interested anyway?” Krystal asked, plucking at the grass.

 

Amber nudged her companion by the shoulders, “Come on, don’t play dumb. I love you. I gotta look out for you. You’re important to me and I wanna know if this guy deserves my girl. You don’t deserve anyone less than perfect for you.” She said, causing the girl to look up at her, completely stupefied. 

 

Krystal was at a lost for words, wondering if the constant flow of heat to her cheeks will eventually drown her. Her heart was racing and the only way she could describe the adrenaline running through her body was.... feels.

 

Though before she could formulate a proper response, Amber’s phone rang. Krystal nodded when she lifted a hand in apology as she picked it up.

 

“Horatio’s Pizza Place, how may I service you?”

 

Krystal tuned out most of the conversation, feeling the excitement in her body slowly dissipate when she realised that it was her best friend’s girlfriend on the other line. She felt it reach a bitter extent as it continued, Amber’s voice switching to a softer tone as she did when speaking to any of her girlfriends. 

 

“Alright, alright don’t worry I’ll be there. See you. Bye.” Amber said as she ended the call, sending Krystal a regretful smile.

 

“You have to go?” Krystal asked, praying that her tone concealed her disappointment.

 

Amber nodded, looking awfully guilty, “Her parents are out. You know I wouldn’t leave you for anything. But... she pulled the sultry card on me and you know I’m a er for-.” 

 

The younger girl groaned and plugged her ears with her fingers, “Stop. Just stop right there. I don’t think I’ll be able to look at you properly for a long time if you finish that sentence.”

 

Amber bit her lip, and nudged the girl lightly, “I’ll make it up to you, princess. I promise.”

 

Krystal nudged her back and smiled, “Of course, I understand. You have a girlfriend now…. again.”

 

“I know. It’s just ever since I started dating her, I hardly ever see you anymore. Today was supposed to be our ‘Kryber does whatever together’ day.” Amber pouted and that got a laugh out of the younger girl.

 

“Well, half of that gang has got other things to do, so we’ll postpone our little adventure, okay?” Krystal smiled, instinctively reached up to brush some lint off of Amber’s shoulder.

 

“Do you want me to walk you back home first?”

 

“You go ahead. I wanna lay here a bit more.”

 

Amber shook her head and pretended to cry, then engulfed Krystal in a large hug. Krystal chuckled and adoringly rubbed her friend’s head, subtly inhaling the familiar scent. The warmth in her grew when Amber turned her head and planted a swift kiss on her cheek.

 

“Should I go blonde?” Amber stopped to ask as she was walking away.

 

“Ew. If you do I’ll never talk to you in public.” Krystal scrunched up her face.

 

Amber winked before disappearing from her sight.

 

Krystal fell back onto the grass with a large sigh and a small grin on her face. 

 

“Stupid.”

 

 

Present (Sulli’s POV)

 

“What do you think about lace? I kind of want it around the sides of ribs and maybe a little on the forearms? Then again the other dress we saw with the flowy things on the sides was stunning.”

 

Krystal hummed, as she listlessly walked towards her locker. 

 

“You know maybe I’ll dig up worms from my backyard, put it in a bucket and make the flower girl throw those around instead of flowers. Then we’ll ask the caterers to sprinkle them on the food for the reception dinner, eh?”

 

Krystal nodded distractedly as she twisted the combination to her locker.

 

“Krystal, you’re killing my premarital vibes here. What’re you thinking about?”

 

The other girl still didn’t respond as dozens of candy canes spilled out of her locker. Krystal groaned loudly.

 

“What’s that?”

 

“Bribery.” She spoke for the first time since I saw her this morning.

 

“Wanna prom with me?” I read the contents of a piece of paper that was wedged between the pile of red and white.

 

“Amber’s been asking me to prom. She’s been asking me all week, doing all these little Amber things. Yesterday I found the same note inside my box of cheerios with a feather attached to it with a string. It would’ve been nice if she didn’t mix it with my cereal. I had to throw the whole thing away because I kept getting hair in my mouth.” She mumbled disdainfully.

 

I looked at her hands, “Well that’s cute but why a feather?”

 

“It’s something we used in some of our pranks back then. It was our greatest masterpiece yet.” She shook her head, a hint of a smile on her otherwise perturbed face.

 

“What prank could you possibly use a feather for?”

 

“You don’t want to know,” She smirked, but sighed afterwards, “Sulli, it’s not great and you know why.”

 

“Well, I actually don’t. Illuminate me.”

 

“For starters, I’m dating Kai. Second, I’m dating Kai. Third, I’m dating Kai. Fourth, well he asked me first so I can’t exactly revoke my decision. That’s rude.”

 

“Oh, come on Krystal. This whole thing is getting kinda repetitive. You just have to decide if it’s a yes or no. Both for prom and Amber’s advances.” I said as a matter-of-factly.

 

“You don’t get it.” Krystal said brusquely, just when her phone rang, “Who the hell is calling me this early in the morning.” She said to the unknown number and picked it up. She instantly pulled her phone away and stared at it incredulously. 

 

“What? What?” I held it to my ear and heard what sounded like a medley of love songs from a chorus of children, “The hell is this?” I asked, but couldn’t help sing a long to the familiar tunes.

 

“Jesus Christ… not another one.” Krystal rubbed a palm to her face.

 

“Na na a grenade for you… wanna stop a grenade for you… kiss me, out in the milky twilight…. yeah yeah….”

 

“You’re no help. Keep it!” She said, referring to her phone and stalked off.

 

“It’s a simple yes or no, Krystal! You think too much!” I called after her retreating form, continuing to sing a long while I opened my locker, earning quite a number of looks from the students around me. 

 

“DARLING I…. will….. BE LOVING YOU….. TILLLLL WE’RE SEVENTEEEEEEN….”


 


 

 

“Hello and good morning to my most favourite friends in the world.” Amber plopped down on the seat beside me with the biggest smile on her face, “Sup.” She looked at me, her smile unchanging in the creepiest way.

 

“Who dropped Chemical X in your breakfast?” Luna mumbled.

 

“Nobody. Just feeling a little optimistic this fine day.” She said brightly. 

 

“Well, don’t come any closer. I don’t want to get infected by your happy this early in the morning.” Luna cuddled her backpack and fell asleep in an instant.

 

“She’s right though. Cut it out.” I said, cringing at the way she was grinning at me.

 

Amber dropped it in an instant, “Sorry. Just been a little on edge lately, I needed a pick me up. As forced upon as it is.”

 

“This doesn’t have anything to do with the little gifts you’ve been sending Krystal, does it?”

 

“Does she like them?” Amber looked hopeful.

 

“Well… she appreciates the effort?”

 

“You don’t think it’s a little much?” 

 

“You could possibly tone it down some, yeah.” I snorted.

 

“Hey.” 

 

Amber perked up even more, if that was possible, and her eyes were puppy-like as they followed every movement of the newest addition to our table.

 

The Jung girl on the other hand was keen on pretending that said puppy didn’t even exist, sitting down on the chair opposite of her.

 

“Hey.” Amber said it this time but it was clearly a lot chirpier compared to Krystal’s shy one.

 

The younger girl didn’t spare her a glance and started working on our group assignment.

 

“Did you get the candies?” 

 

“That and the chorus of the children of the corn singing into my ear. Thank you for that.” She rolled her eyes. 

 

“Hey, I’m running out of ideas. It doesn’t help that you’re so picky.”

 

“I’m not picky. You’re just… ugh, I’m not going to prom with you Amber.” She said and stood up. Amber followed obediently behind her. 

 

I debated on whether to eavesdrop on them for maybe a second before getting up to listen in.

 

“I knew you wouldn’t agree to go with me. That’s why I worded it so that you could still prom with me without actually having to go with me.” She stated it like it was the most brilliant plan she’s ever devised.

 

“You’ve been hanging out with Yuri too much.” Krystal deadpanned, shuffling through some books on a shelf.

 

“She’s a wise woman. She gave me the idea about the ski cake.” 

 

“What ski cake?”

 

“Nothing.” Amber chuckled nervously.

 

“You are going to be the death of me.” Krystal huffed.

 

“Do have any idea how hot you look when you’re mad?” 

 

“Sh-shut up. Stupid.” She shoved a book into Amber’s chest and moved on to the next bookshelf.

 

“I’m serious. I want to…. so much….. it’s so hard to stop myself from….” Amber looked like she wanted to finish that, but trailed off.

 

“Yeah? Well try to keep that up for more than two seconds and let me know how that feels.” The shorter girl almost choked on her breath when Amber inched a little closer to her, “Amber…”

 

“Sorry. Habit.” The blonde said as she took a step back.

 

Krystal gave the other girl a dry look.

 

“Okay, look, I’ll stop with the gifts and letters. Just promise me one thing. Please? Just one thing if not anything else.” The blonde asked.

 

“What?” She asked shortly, trying hard to disguise the faltering of her demeanour. 

 

Amber took a moment to admire her face, smiling a little, “Save me a dance.”

 

“Is that it?” Krystal narrowed her eyes at the taller girl.

 

“Yup. I mean you’re already breaking 9-year-old Krystal’s promise of going to prom with her Ambutt so at least make it up to her by saving one dance for me?”

 

“Fine.” She said softly, “Just one.”

 

“Just one.” Amber’s -eating grin was back. She came back to the table just as I rushed to sit back down. 

 

“Leaving?” I asked, flipping idly through my notes.

 

“I got what I wanted. For now.” The blonde smiled as she packed her things before leaving.

 

Luna decided to choose that moment to wake up.

 

“Wha…. how long was I out?” She smacked her lips.

 

“You missed another episode of the Dumb and Dumber. Wait… AMBER you can’t leave yet we have work to do!” I yelled after them, gesturing to the assignment sheets.

 

“YOUNG LADY. QUIET. PLEASE.” The librarian yelled, looking beet red and ready to implode.

 

“You’re one to talk.” I murmured, sighing in defeat when I saw that Luna had fallen back to sleep.


 


 

 

Amber’s POV

 

“I can’t believe I’m saying this but you actually look pretty hot.” Jessica appraised my form as I walked into the Jung’s residence.

 

“I guess you look…. approachable.” Yuri smirked, eating from her bowl of chips.

 

Kibum and and Jonghyun were laughing from the other end of the couch.

 

“You look like a penguin.” My brother said amusedly.

 

“And why’s your hair so wet?” The youngest Jung added.

 

“It’s called mousse you little pimple-heads.” I subconsciously checked the mirror on my phone to see if anything fell out of place. 

 

“You smell like a moose.” Kibum snickered and I threw a couch pillow at him. 

 

“Oh quiet you two, I think Amber looks very dashing in her tuxedo.” Mrs. Jung said as she walked out of the kitchen, “But I see that she still doesn’t know how to tie a tie.” She clicked her tongue and began fussing with the knot that I called a tie.

 

“Honestly, do you think I look okay?” I said a little quieter to the older woman.

 

She smoothed out my blazer and grinned cheekily up at me.

 

“Why? Are you nervous?” 

 

“Nervous? Why would I be… that.” I coughed and fiddled with the hem of my sleeve.

 

“You grew up to be such a heartbreaker, but you’re still that little cutie pie that used beg me to hide you in my closet when Krystal was mad at you.” She pinched my cheek and cooed, “I’ll go check on the girls. They should be ready by now.”

 

I nodded and went to join the motley crew.

 

“Why isn’t Kai picking Krystal up? Don’t they still do that these days?” Jessica asked, snatching the bowl from Yuri who didn’t even bother protesting.

 

“We all decided to go together. Sulli’s idea. He’s meeting her there though.” My legs were shaking, a bad habit only when I was feeling really restless.

 

“Does that bother you?” Yuri asked through a mouthful of kettle chips.

 

That bothers me.” Jessica said grossed out but went to wipe a piece of food from her chin.

 

I almost choked on my spit at the bizarre sight but tried to reel it in when I heard voices from upstairs.

 

“Presenting…… the most sophisticated, intelligent, not to mention most enticing and gorgeous women to ever grace your presences.” 

 

‘It’s just presence you dimwit.” 

 

“Just shut up and let’s go. I’m ready to shake my off!”

 

Sulli walked down first, then Luna. They looked enticing and gorgeous, as Luna had mentioned but the only person I was anticipating took their damn time to come down. 

 

As if on cue, my jaw was hitting the ground. Seemingly, it’s favourite place whenever I laid eyes on Krystal, but I couldn’t find the will to pick it back up this time. Her dress was a simple cream-colored one, with the laced bodice hugging her top and the skirt flowing down all the way to her ankles. It was form fitting till the very end and I traced her perfect figure with admiration.

 

There was nothing else I wanted more than to have her in my arms at that moment. To be able to kiss her silly and tell her how much I love her.

 

Jongin is one lucky son of a . He is so ing lucky.

 

Her eyes met mine when she reached the last step and I noticed with a certain pride that she was looking at me much like how I was her.

 

“You look really beautiful, Krystal. I mean you always do but like… uhm now you’re just, you know… kinda wow.” I mumbled out like the idiot I was, ignoring the sniggers in the back.

 

“Thanks. You look ‘kinda wow’ yourself.” She smiled shyly, shoving me on the shoulders. I shoved her back and we shared a smile.

 

“What about us Amber? Don’t we look wow too?” Sulli teased.

 

Yeah, aren’t our dresses jaw-drop worthy too?” Luna copied the expression I had a second ago.

 

Krystal was too busy blushing to rebuke and I was trying to find something to throw at them.

 

Just when I thought it couldn’t have been more awkward.

 

My parents burst in through the front door at that moment, “Oh, you both look SO adorable. My beautiful daughter and my other beautiful daughter. Quick stand closer I want to take a picture!”

 

Krystal and I were shoved together and smiled awkwardly at the cameras. 

 

“You two look like you’re trying to squeeze out an egg. Amber, put your arms around her or something.” Mr. Jung came out of nowhere and the rest nodded eagerly in agreement.

 

I threw my arm around her shoulders, winking at her when she protested at how heavy my arm was. She enacted her revenge by squeezing my cheeks together with her fists. Soon enough there were more pictures of us fooling around like idiots than formal ones typical of a prom picture.

 

Just the way we preferred it.


 


 

 

Two hours into prom and almost half of the students were already sloppily dancing as they tried to disguise their inebriated behaviours. I don’t think most of them were even going to make till midnight, let alone for the afterparty.

 

I was one of the few, that was completely sober by choice. A first for me, noting my streak for never turning down a drink if it was offered to me.

 

I was waiting for the right moment to ask Krystal to dance, but it was near impossible from all the distractions. She was the talk of the school with how beautiful she looked tonight, and I guess the kinda handsome man that accompanied her. They were a good looking couple, I admit. It was hard to forget when that’s all everybody can talk about.

 

“It’s hardly fair. He’s a man, it’s basically science that he generally has to look better than me in a suit. Not that women aren’t supposed to wear suits. Wow Amber, way to enforce gender stereotypes.” I sighed, crossing my arms, “I’m sorry Wendy, I’ve been talking about myself this whole time. What about you, what’s up with you these days?”

 

The girl next to her, who was timidly eating from a plate of chips, perked at her name.

 

“Well I-”

 

“I mean really, does it make me a bad person to want to actively pursue his girlfriend when said girlfriend loves me too? She said it and everything. I tried to fight for her, that’s what she wanted right? That’s why she gave up on me, because I never fought for her? So tell me why when I’m doing exactly what she wants, she doesn’t seem to appreciate it?” I asked, completely bewildered.

 

“Uhm-”

 

“I don’t know… it just seems everything I’m doing at this point is going nowhere. She loves me, that much I’m sure of, but sometimes when I look at them, it feels like I’m ruining something that could be really good for her. I’ve had my chance, why can’t she have hers? I thought that being more pushy about things would work but I’m just smothering her. Maybe I am the problem.” 

 

I watched as Kai gently pulled a mildly reluctant Krystal to the center of the dance floor, both of them laughing happily together. The sharp tug in my chest was uncomfortable but I could’t help but observe how she was with him. I used to easily make her smile like that, but not in the last few weeks for obvious reasons. I was the reason.

 

A chuckle left my throat at realizing how stupid I’ve been and must’ve looked throughout this whole process. 

 

Stupid enough to forget an important quality of my princess and the one that I love about her the most, and it’s that she makes her own damn decisions. 

 

All I’ve been trying to do is force her into one. I was pushing her away without me knowing it. She needs some space, some room to breathe, then she’ll truly see what she wants.

 

“Thanks for your help, Wendy. You’re great. ” 

 

Amber grinned at the wide-eyed girl who had a mouth full of chips. 

 

The blonde patted her head before joining her friends on the dance floor.

 


 

A/N : Seriously. How did I leave for that long again? I lost inspiration for this for a little bit what with their f(x)'s lack of activity and all that but Krystal and Amber's last instagram update together made the 2012 hardcore shipper in me squeal like a Yuri. It was great. 

You know how it is, let me know what you think. I highly appreciate every opinion. No half-assed promises but I'll try to bang the next chap out sooner than the last. Waaaaay sooner.