Chapter 2

All Bets Are Off
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dara sat morosely at the convenience store near CSW with her hand under her chin and the other hand moving the chopsticks back and forth on her half eaten ramen.  She never should’ve done that. Again, her temper had gotten the best of her. Aish! She’s going to be fired for sure. It would only take Mr. Kraz to put two and two together and realize she put something in his coffee.

 

She was snickering and trying not to laugh out loud earlier when they were at the studio filming Bigbang as she watched Mr. Kraz’s pesky face dotted with sweat and putting a hand on his stomach and the other on his when he suddenly ran to the bathroom with the staff watching him sprint, farting on the way. She laughed quietly until she saw Suzy glaring at her, instantly knowing she had something to do with it. She unobtrusively stepped out of the studio to get out of the firing range should Mr. Kraz came back and went to the convenience store to celebrate her victory.

 

But as she waited for her ramen, she realized she was too impulsive. Yes, she had gotten back with that oaf but this is just a small victory. Later on, she would go back to the office to be fired. Where in the hell would she get the money for her mom’s medicinal needs? Idiot! She wanted to ram her head on the table. Idiot! Why doesn’t she ever think? Why is she act now think later kind of girl? She couldn’t afford to be fired now. Maybe she should need to apologize. Even if that’s the last thing she wanted to do. But at this point, her pride is not something which can feed her.

 

As it is, she banged her head on the table. “Idiot!” She told herself.

 

“That’s gotta hurt.”

 

Dara lifted her head up, her forehead red and looked in the eyes of the guy she met earlier in the café.

 

Donghae had just came out of the café with the guys all excited for him to lose which only fueled him all the more. He’s gonna show them. He’s gonna show that Sandara girl and he’ll make sure he’s not someone she’s going to forget. They were all going into their cars when Sungmin spotted Dara on the window eating ramen and he called Donghae. They were all laughing as they went inside their cars and drove off leaving Donghae sighing heavily and slamming his car door shut before walking inside the store. Yep. The clock’s ticking.

 

“You again?” Dara said crossly.

 

Donghae grinned as he took the stool next to Dara. “Yup, it’s me again.”

 

Dara sighed and she returned her attention at eating her ramen.

 

“You know it kinda hurts me that you didn’t remember me,” Donghae started as Dara put a mouthful of noodles.

 

“Sorry,” Dara just mumbled thinking maybe she could start practicing on how to apologize. She tipped the bowl to drink the noodle’s soup.

 

“Especially because I remembered you… because I liked you,” Donghae continued using his most charming smile which gradually faded as Dara continued drinking the soup not even bothering to look at him. Did she heard him?

 

Dara put the empty bowl down, swallowing her misery at the thought of being without job again. Maybe she could apply here at the convenience store even for a while until she gets a better job. Why is it so hard for a graduate student to get an effin’ job around here?! Her phone rang and she picked it up. It was Suzy.

 

“Where are you?” Suzy asked.

 

Dara sighed. “Eating before Mr. Kraz fired me.”

 

“I don’t know what to do with you anymore. What are you thinking?” Dara could see Suzy shaking her head. “Mr. Kraz wants to see you in his office. Like now. I tried to cover for you and told him the coffee is really bad but I’m not sure if he bought that reason.”

 

Dara’s shoulders stooped. She knew it! She’s going to add up on the population of unemployed citizens.

 

“Just tell him you’re sorry. Make up something. Which I’m sure you can since you’re good at it. Just don’t lose your temper. Mr. Kraz will make you lose it but just hold on to it. Listen on the right ear then let it out on the left. Do not give him a bloody nose for crying out loud! Not only would you get fired, you’ll get arrested too.”

 

Dara grimaced. How come Suzy know her so well? She’s pretty sure no matter how contrite she is, she’s going to end up breaking Mr. Kraz’s nose.

 

Suzy sighed continuuing. “I really think you should get another activity to use on your energy. You know like breaking bottles, batting, anything which requires hitting. Or you should go out and date. Maybe you’ll find your world a lot peaceful.”

 

So like Suzy thinking the world will end with love.

 

“Yeah, yeah,” Dara said dismissively. “Give me a couple of minutes before I go to Mr. Kraz to get fired. Bye.”

 

She sighed again. No matter what the outcome is, she’s definite she’s going to look for another job tomorrow.

 

“Something wrong?”

 

Dara turned around, surprised to find this Donghae guy still there. No, she’s looking so depressed because everything is perfect. Duh! But she couldn’t even find it in her heart to be sarcastic at the moment. “I’m going to get fired,” she found herself saying feeling so dejected thinking about her mom, her brother. Bills!

 

“Why?” Donghae asked.

 

“I…messed up the entire script with the show for Bigbang,” Dara said thinking it sounds a lot better than saying she put a bottle full of laxative on her boss’ coffee. And better that than having this guy tell Choi Siwon how vindictive she is after she had promised he won’t hear any complaints or anything from her or about her.

 

“Really? How long have you been working for CSW?”

 

“5 days,” Dara said feeling more down. She didn’t even last for a week on this job.

 

“And you were already assigned to handle big projects like that?”

 

Dara sighed again feeling more and more depressed. None of this would have happened if she did do the script dedicatedly. Even if it meant not getting sleep at all.

 

Donghae took out his phone and dialled. “Siwon, it’s Donghae.” Dara’s head snapped up and looked at Donghae with wide eyes wondering what the hell he was doing? Is he gonna tell on her? She’s gonna punch him even before he did. But Donghae just waggled her eyebrows at her while grinning. “Are newly hired employees already assigned to handle big projects like, you know… Bigbang? Aren’t they supposed to be trained first? Well, I’ve got Sandara Park here, one of your staff, who’s on the verge of getting fired because she was assigned to write a script for a show with Bigbang and it seems like it didn’t go well. Isn’t this supposed to be handled by your more experienced writers?” Donghae still held his smile in place as Siwon told him to ease up on playing with this game. “So what’s it gonna be?:” Donghae asked again and Siwon asked to speak with Dara. Donghae moved his head on the other side and whispered without moving his mouth. “You’re not going to jeopardize my villa are you?” Siwon had resignedly said no and this is purely business. Donghae handed the phone to Dara and she hesitatingly took it.

 

“Hello?” She listened as Siwon asked her what part of the show with Bigbang is she supposed to write. Dara answered that it was for the whole show and Siwon asked who assigned it to her.

 

“Mr. Kraz!” Dara said immediately then tried to lower her voice to cover the fact that she sound so happy of telling on Mr. Kraz. “I mean… I’m sorry, I don’t want Mr. Kraz thinking I was telling on him but…” Siwon said she had nothing to be sorry for and he will call her department to talk to him and no one’s going to fire anyone. Dara had to bite her lip to keep from cheering and gave the phone back to Donghae. Donghae was grinning at her, putting the phone back in his pocket. He looked at her expectantly and she looked back at him questioningly before it crossed her mind that she should thank him.

 

“Oh. Thank you,” Dara said putting on her most thankful face.

 

Donghae just kept staring at her, smiling before lifting his hand and picking something out of her hair. Dara leaned back, ready to kick him but he held a small piece of noodle. “You got noodle in your hair,” he said in a quiet voice, still staring at her and wearing that small smile. Dara suddenly felt her face go  warm and she faced forward, away from Donghae, putting a hand on her face. Is she coming up with something? Why is she feeling hot? She couldn’t afford to be sick right now.

 

“So… are you free tonight?”  Donghae asked, still seated facing her side.

 

“Free for what?” Dara asked still warm but feeling her temperature gradually going back to normal.

 

“For movies, dinner, whatever you want.”

 

“I don’t think I can afford any of that at the moment,” Dara answered.

 

Donghae chuckled. “You won’t lose a single cent. It’s going to be my treat.”

 

Dara narrowed her eyes at him. There

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter