Chapter 14

All Bets Are Off
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She never should’ve gone here. Everytime she sees Donghae, she ends up being pissed. She was muttering under her breath when she stopped short, the old man from earlier standing morosely near the elevator, waiting for it to open. He saw her coming and she bowed her head in apology.

 

 “I am so sorry sir,” she said. “I didn’t mean to shut the door in your face.”

 

The old man smiled kindly. “That’s okay.” The door opened and they both stepped in. Dara glanced at the old man at the corner of her eye as they rode the elevator in silence. Who is he and why does Donghae look so angry when he saw him?

 

“Are you Donghae’s helper?” The old man suddenly asked and Dara scowled before she can stop herself.

 

“No,” Dara said. Does she really look like someone’s maid? She took a note of what she is wearing in the elevator mirror. Does wearing a tatterred jeans and baggy pants constitutes a maid’s clothing?

 

The old man looked embarassed for asking such question. “I’m sorry,” he said. The elevator dinged signaling they reached the ground floor and they stepped out but before Dara could bow her head again to bid him good bye, the old man asked her again, “You’re a friend of Donghae’s then?”

 

It took a minute before Dara could answer. “More or less.” More like less than more.

 

The old man looked at her as if he’s reluctant to say something before finally deciding to. “If… if it’s not too much to ask…. Is it okay if… you could bring this… to him?” He held out the plastic bag he was carrying.

 

Dara glanced at it then back at the old man in disbelief. Is he really asking her to go back up just to give this to Donghae?

 

“It’s his favorite,” the old man said. “He had always been asking me to cook this for him… when he was younger….”

 

Dara took the bag frowning at seeing the haunted look in the old man’s eyes.

 

Eyes which looks like a carbon copy of Donghae’s.

 

“You’re his father!” She exclaimed as the realization dawned on her.

 

The man smiled sadly. “I haven’t been for so many years. If… if I can…. If you can just tell him to…remind him to eat healthily and…  fishes… they keep the brain healthy…” He bowed his head. “Thank you.” He turned and walked off before Dara can say anything. She just watched him walked off, his shoulders dropped and a flash of longing suddenly hit her before she could stop it. She stood there for a minute before turning to ride the elevator and back to Donghae’s unit.

 

She had the sudden flashback of watching her father’s back when he walked off after bringing her to a restaurant to eat when she was in highschool. When he had dropped her off at school, she could remember the haunted look in his eyes too, which she had never really understood then, before news reached them that night that his father was sent to the hospital because of a heart attack and declared dead the next morning. It was after the burial that she realized her father must’ve been worried about how to tell them they already lost everything without castigating him of his choices. It had hurt her, made her angry even, that he died worrying about what they, his family, would think of him instead of sharing his burden. Keeping it all inside him while she, her brother, her mother, spend all the money on senseless things. Money which was no longer theirs.

 

There were times when she had even thought her father died because of them. Other times, she asked herself if they were really too shallow that her father made himself think they would leave him if he told them their source of income has been depleted.

 

Families should share problems. Work out the kinks. Talk to figure out how to solve the problem as a whole. That’s why they’re called family.

 

She snapped herself out of her reverie when she arrived back at Donghae’s floor. She walked over to his door again and pressed the doorbell. The door opened after a moment with Donghae frowning on the other side. Dara didn’t wait for him to ask but she nudged him out of the way and entered his home walking straight to the table and placing the plastic bag there.

 

“For you,” Dara said as she turned to look at Donghae. “Your father made it.”

 

There was a tick on Donghae’s jaw. “Throw it in the trash.”

 

Dara walked over to him. “Your father made it for you and took the pains in bringing it to you. He said it’s your favorite and will keep your brain healthy. Though I seriously doubt that. If you want to throw it, do it yourself.”

 

Donghae just stood there with his brows knotted together, his chest slightly heaving but it only fueled Dara as the look on the old man’s face is still in her mind. “You didn’t even have the decency to talk to him. I guess letting him in your house would be a bit too much.”

 

Donghae scoffed. “You only saw him for like, what? Five seconds and you think you know everything? Stay out of my ing business.”

 

“I don’t want to be in your in’ business,” Dara said. “All I know is that there’s an old man out there, who happens to be your father, whom you shut your door on. And then you go around in your little home  getting mad and thinking he hasn’t been a father to you all these years so you wanted to punish him by not being a son to him. I guess that’s how your logic works.” Dara stopped because she felt like her voice would crack at the pressure of suddenly feeling emotional. She breathed in to get some calmness. “I don’t know what happened between the two of you, and you’re right, it isn’t my business. I just wish I didn’t see that.” Knowing she’s not making any sense, she her heel and walked out the door and gulped in a lot of air when she reached the elevator. She doesn’t know why but the sudden thought of her father made her feel like breaking down. Wishes and regrets resurfacing again and hitting her as hard as it had been the first time. She knew her and Donghae’s father-issues aren’t really the same but it made her remember what could’ve been.

 

If only she hadn’t been so self absorbed, she could’ve found the time to talk to him and then maybe understand exactly what he was not saying. If only she had looked at him, really looked at him,  she would realize something was wrong. Maybe she could’ve done something. Maybe there’s a chance he would still be alive.

 

She hates it that Donghae doesn’t even realize how lucky he is to have that chance she had wanted.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Neither of them contacted the other after that. Except the next morning when Donghae picked her up to drop her off to CSW, as per the deal, but they rode the entire way in silence. Neither of them spoke, neither of them even utter a single word. Dara asked herself why she even got on Donghae’s car in the first place. She should’ve taken the bus but when she saw Donghae’s car parked in front of the apartment that morning, her feet automatically went there before she remembered she was supposed to be mad at him.

 

Donghae wasn’t speaking though. Just focused on his driving without even looking at Dara, just staring through the windshield as he drove thoughts running through his mind. Last night wasn’t the first time his father visited him. He had caught sight of him last week, just standing outside the building of his unit and when he looked up, his eyes met his father’s. He was shocked to see him after almost 20 years and he stood there rooted to the ground. A look of hesitation passed through her father’s features before taking a step towards him. That movement woke him up and he turned his back to him and entered the building, sudden anger rearing up inside him. How dare his father suddenly appear after all these years? He had already made him dead after he had left him and his mother without any explanation. Without so much as a word. He suddenly up and left when he was just 9.  Now he would suddenly appear thinking he could go back to the way they were? He wasn’t a kid anymore to believe anything he says.

 

He had expected his father to try to talk to him and he had braced himself for that meeting but he didn’t see him after that day. He never even mentioned it to his mother. He had almost forgotten about him when he showed up yesterday at his house and no, he realized. He wasn’t ready to talk to his father. The fury he suddenly felt when he saw him, looking pitiful, his face looking tired and exhausted, looking like they were the ones who left him, was too much for him. He realized that he doesn’t want to see his father again. He doesn’t want to talk to him. He doesn’t want his father to be part of his life again. He doesn’t owe his father anything.

 

He went straight to his office after dropping Dara off at CSW. He resumed his daily task forgetting his father troubles and pretty soon, his mind is all consumed with client meetings, projects, staff meetings, advertisement ideas. It was already past 5 when Chaerin suddenly barged in his office, startling two of his creative director. He wrapped up his meeting with them and let Chaerin prattle on the reason she suddenly appeared. She went on about the party his mother is having and let on that the party should’ve gone with the punk rock theme instead of all coat and tie which to her would be pretty boring and are meant for old people. The thought of his mother made him think of his father. Does his mom know his father is back? Did he showed up in her door like he did with his? Would his mother accept him back?

 

But that would be unlikely. His mom would’ve called him if his father did appear to have the guts to show his face around his mom.

 

“So what time are you picking up Dara?”  Chaerin asked cutting off his reverie.

 

“What?” He blinked as he had been too busy in his mind.

 

Chaerin rolled her eyes. “Dara? Your girlfriend? She’s going to be there, right? Your mom is expecting her and wanted to bond with her, you know. And did you know she invited your friends too and their folks?”

 

“What?! Mom invited the guys?” That could mean trouble if Dara suddenly had her crazy attacks. “Ah .”

 

“She said it would make her feel young,” Chaerin said. “Although i don’t see how.”

 

“I thought Mom is only inviting the parents,” Donghae said. “Those are her friends. Why is she inviting their sons too?” Ah damn, he’s gotta make Dara swear she’s not going to let slip anything. After their fight yesterday, Dara might consider just spilling their secret in retaliation. Although he can’t understand why Dara is suddenly so pissed at him.

 

“Well....” Chaserin hedged then went on. “Actually it was the surprise that you’re making for Dara that Aunt Soong An wanted to see.”

 

That stopped Donghae. “What?”

 

“Yoona already told Aunt Soong An you’re making a surprise for Dara, that’s why she invited the guys too. So you wouldn’t have the trouble of trying to get them together at your surprise. They were both saying how sweet of you to plan a surpise for Dara at your anniversary of meeting or something and i had to get out of Aunt’s house before i vomit.”

 

Donghae could only gawk at his cousin, unable to say anything.

 

“What are you planning for Dara, anyway?” Chaerin asked suddenly grinning. “Are you trying the hearts and balloons stuff?”

 

“Hell no,”  Donghae vehemently denied, glaring at Chaerin.

 

Chaerin laughed. “That would’ve been so much worth to watch. Anyways, everyone was more excited for your plan than Auntie’s party so you’d better make the excitement worth it.”

 

“Ah ,” Donghae could only utter putting his hands on his head.

 

“Don’t worry,” Chaerin said reaching over and patting his head. “Grandmother already hired photographers to commemorate your proposal so you don’t have to worry about that.”

 

Donghae’s head snapped up. “I am not proposing!”

 

“All the more reason for us to attend your anniversary party,” Chaerin said grinning then looked at her phone. “Oh, gotta go. My haristylist’s on her way. Toodles!”

 

Chaerin sashayed her way out of his office and Donghae sat there looking like he was bitten by a snake. Dammit! It looks like he’s got bigger problems than Dara spilling out their deal in front of everyone. How is he supposed to plan a surprise party which he didn’t even plan on? This is all Dara’s fault. She created the mess, she fix it. He pulled out his phone and called her, planning to lit on her for what she had caused him.

 

“Yeah?” Dara answered.

 

“Ya! We need to have an urgent meeting,” Donghae said his brows furrowed. “Can you come off work now?”

 

It was silent for a second before Dara answered. “Who’s this?”

 

Donghae let out an indignant sound. “Wh—what? You already deleted me in your phone? It’s Donghae!”

 

“Oh yeah,” Dara said. “The guy who wasn’t speaking to me. What changed?”

 

“This is not the time to be sarcastic, okay?” Donghae said. “My mother and my grandmother all think I was setting up a proposal event for you because of what you told Yoona.”

 

“And????”

 

Donghae couldn’t believe this. “Are you kidding me right now? We are in big trouble! They wanted to see what kind of surprise I had planned for you and they all think I was going to ask you to marry me or something and they wanted everyone to be there!”

 

“And you’re freaking out because???”

 

Donghae really couldn’t believe the relaxed tone he was hearing from Dara. Here he was, fretting on it and Dara is just all And???.

 

“I am not freaking out,” Donghae said gritting his teeth after he realized Dara wouldn’t really care about what’s gonna happen because it’s really his problem. This girl’s form of revenge is incomparably ruthless. She probably planned it from the beginning. He couldn’t wait until fate gave him a chance to get back at her. “I’ll pick you up later at 7.”

 

“Wow, now you’re taking the initiative to take me home without me badgering you. That’s a good development.”

 

“It’s my mother’s birthday,” Donghae said. “Since you spout all that bull with Yoona, having your face present in the event is now imperative.” He’ll think of some reason later on how the supposed surprise party he’s planning with Dara is cancelled. This girl is really driving him to the edge.

 

Dara let out a humoreless snort. “Oh, I wouldn’t miss it for the world. I’d like to see what kind of excuses you could come up with regarding your sweet surprise for me. See you later baby.” Click.

 

Donghae punched the end button eventhough Dara already hang up. That girl really know which buttons to push to get him on the edge. She is really the bane of his existence!

 

Donghae picked her up at exactly the time he told her he would. He already went to his unit earlier to change his clothes so they could go straight to the hotel his mother is celebrating her bithday at. Her mother likes formal events so he guessed being elegantly clothed is a must especially on her birthday. He forgot Dara lack the femininity of a human specie and he wryly told her to change into something more worthy to look at.

 

“You stand out like a sore thumb,” Donghae added eyeing her ripped up skinny jeans and her baggy yellow shirt with a skull on the front. “Don’t you have any other clothes which can make you look less of an alien woman?”

 

Dara gave him a death glare. “Yes, it’s hidden in my spaceship!” She pullled the door of the car open and slid in before Donghae did the same.

 

“You’re not expecting me to take you to a shopping mall and redo your whole appearance, are you?” Donghae said grimacing.

 

“Why are you such a jerk?” Dara said. “I wouldn’t even dream of such kindness from you. I have a dress,  ! How you can think that I lug it in my bag since early this morning is beyond me.” She crossed her arms on her chest. Maybe she need to reconsider going to this party. The only reason she wanted to go is for the sole purpose of seeing Donghae get out of that story she had created. Talk to Yoona to get Donghae squirm out of his seat, fuming on what exaggerations she’s been telling her. She even went so far as to ask Suzy to borrow a dress from her closet after she hung up on Donghae’s call, her brain already going into overdrive on what’s she’s going to do. But now she’s having second thoughts of going since it collides with her irritation of even spending a minute with him.

 

They arrived at their apartment and Dara’s brow furrowed as she saw a gray car parked in the front. Chaerin immediately stepped out as soon as Donghae parked his car.

 

“Dara!” She waved, her hair now dyed ash blonde, fell sleek and straight down her back and she was already dressed up in a black body hugging mini dress with a turtle neck.

 

“Hey,” Dara said hesitantly as Chaerin walked over, her red closed-toe stilletos making a clacking sound on the pavement. “What are you doing here? How did you know where I live?”

 

“Jaejoong oppa drove me here.” Dara saw Jaejoong getting out of the car as well and smiling at her. She was so confused on what they were doing in her house that she forgotten to smile back and looked at Chaerin.

 

“Okay, so what are you doing here?” Dara asked again.

 

“I’m here to do your hair and make-up,” Chaerin said. “Donghae oppa texted me earlier and asked if I could drop by here and let you borrow my make up kit but I thought, why borrow it when I can do your make up myself!”

 

Dara turned her head to Donghae who was standing behind her and she gave him another glare. He’s really worried about her appearance. Does he really think she would make a fool of herself in front of the social elite? She was brought up as one of them, she can still be one of them. She would show him.

 

“And I didn’t know how to get here, I didn’t know you address so I called Jaejoong oppa and he said he’ll take me here so… here we are!” Chaerin said then pulled her arm to take her inside the apartment. “C’mon, we don’t have time to waste.” She practically took the key from Dara’s hand and open the door herself before ushering her inside, the two men followed close behind.

 

The white Sunday dress she had borrowed from Suzy received a disapproval from Chaerin. She shook her head before throwing the dress in Suzy’s bed and rummaged through Suzy’s closet, pulling out a dress over another. Dara protested that she only borrowed one dress and Suzy would kill her if her already messy closet turned like someone threw a bomb in there when she gets back but Chaerin just kept on pulling out clothes, completely ignoring her before she gave a triumphant “Hah!” when she pulled out a black high neck dress in lace with crystals and beads. The skirt short and puffy. But what made Dara gape is how it only covers her shoulders and completely baring her back.

 

“Oh hell ing no!” Dara cursed inadvertently. “Are you kidding me?” She couldn’t even imagine Suzy wearing such a very revealing dress.

 

“Why not?!” Chaerin said as she held up the dress in inspection. “This looks perfect!”

 

“First, it looks like I’m wearing a freakin’ prom dress” she flicked the puffy skirt. “and second… are you kidding me! I would get pneumonia on this thing!” She turned the dress over to show Chaerin the bared back.

 

Chaerin just sighed. “You are just like Donghae. So exaggerated. First, this will fit you perfectly and you won’t look like you’re going to the prom after I’m through with you. And second, your hair will cover the back so you wouldn

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter