Chapter 20

All Bets Are Off
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“No one’s gonna help you now. You’re mine.” Rick’s evil smirk directed at her as he sat languidly on the chair looking at her. “You’ve been the target just because you’re with him. But he’s not here right now.”

 

I don’t give a rat’s was what she wanted to respond to him but she can’t move and it was then she realized was taped shut. A strange feeling of horror settled on her as she saw her feet were bounded on the bed, her hands were tied on the bed post. She can’t move. Her body felt beaten and weak. And the blood on her leg only added to her terror, the pain is overwhelming her. Rick stood up. The whites of his eyes are red, his torso except for a towel over his shoulder with patches of red on it. Blood. Her blood. His smirk was triumphantly evil as he walked lazily towards her. “It’s just you and me,” he said holding the bloodied steel lamp base on his hand.

 

No she shook her head as her eyes teared up, panic already seizing her. No. She screamed though her gagged mouth. Donghae!!!

 

 

 

 

Dara’s eyes flew open. It took a moment before her wits returned to her as Suzy’s empty bed met her panicked eyes. Her bed was shaking and she thought there might be an earthquake but then she realized she was the one who was shaking. She quickly sat up, lifted her knees up and put her head between them, squinching her eyes shut as she tried to stop the tremors running though her body. , why now? These panic attacks are such a pain in the neck. Damn you Rick, you little ! After a minute of breathing in and out, trying to relax the tension coursing through her body, she felt a little better but she can feel beads of sweat dotting her forehead and she felt depleted. And the pain on her leg is acting up again.

 

The pain in her leg brought out the dream—no the nightmare— she had so she swung out of the bed and walk-hopped out of her room to drink the painkiller. She made herself some milk and sat on the couch just staring into space while her thoughts run interminably as the silence feasted on her. One thought keeps pressing into her head.

 

She could’ve been dead.

 

Or if not, in worst shape than she already is. She had delayed him by fighting him off but he still overpowered her. She lost consciousness no matter how hard she tried to stay awake. And who knows what could’ve happened to her, what Rick will do to her, if Donghae didn’t come. Another tremor racked her body and she put her knees up again and curled herself into a ball, her mind conjuring up images on what might have happened. What she could’ve end up in. And what that Mischa girl might have felt when she was rendered powerless by a strong man who was driven mad by drugs.

 

Stop it! She forced the gruesome images off her mind trying to breathe in and breathe out again to relax. She was alive. And safe. Maybe a little battered but still kicking. That’s all that should matter. She fought him. Defended herself. She’s strong.

 

But still not strong enough.

 

She didn’t know how long she was curled up into a ball until her tremors dissipated. She exhaled and carefully laid her feet down and gingerly stood up. She hobbled to the bedroom and sat down on the edge of the bed. She looked around her room, from the white linoleum floor, the yellow door of the bathrrom, the vanity mirror Suzy had brought in… They all seemed so eerie all of a sudden and she knew she wouldn’t be able to sleep for long. Maybe she could call someone to sleep over. But who? She doesn’t have many friends. Who was she kidding? She only had Suzy as a friend. But she can’t call her just because she’s having panic attacks. The guys? She wouldn’t be able to sleep even if she want to as she will spend the entire night guarding the house and keeping them from wrecking it. Donghae? No, he already did so much for her and bothering him about something as puerile as a nightmare is so... well childish. Chaerin? She glanced at the clock pursing her lips. 1:18am. Would she still be awake? She could try.

 

She took her phone and sent a text message. She will respond if she’s still awake and if not… well… she could always take a nap in the office tomorrow.

 

Chaerin, you awake?

 

A beep sounded a minute later and she opened it immediately.

 

Yup. What’s up?

 

Dara bit her lip knowing what she’s going to ask is so unlike her but she doesn’t have any choice now, does she?

 

Do you want to sleep over?

 

She hit send then immediately composed another message again.

 

Don’t tell Donghae. I just thought we could hang out and do girly stuff.

 

Chaerin responded after a second.

 

Okay

 

Dara smiled and let out a sigh o relief. She decided to wait for Chaerin in the living room.

 

After an hour, her doorbell chimed and Dara immediately limped her way to the door and opened it, ready to welcome Chaerin.

 

“Chae—“ She stopped as she saw Donghae behind the door, wearing his pajamas.

 

“What the…” Donghae said frowning already. “Always check who it is before you open your door.” He shook his head as he stepped in. “Did you even locked it?”

 

“What are you doing here?” Dara asked. She could kill Chaerin.

 

Donghae locked her door himself. He was still frowning when he faced her. “You could peep on the window if you don’t have any peephole.”

 

“If I did, you wouldn’t even have the chance to step inside my house,” Dara responded already feeling shamed of her weakness by calling someone to help her sleep through the night. “What are you doing here?”

 

Donghae studied her face before sighing. “Chaerin kicked me out my house.” He walked past her and plopped himself on the couch. “She decided to stay at my unit because she said it’s getting late, kicked me out of my room, and now, she kicked me out of my house.”

 

Dara just looked at him while he settled himself comfortably on her couch. Donghae glanced at her standing rigidly by the door.

 

“How’s your leg?” He asked.

 

“It’s fine,” she responded curtly. Seeing Donghae made her feel so weak. She hated feeling weak.

 

Donghae just studied her before he spoke. “Look, I just thought I could crash in.” He stood up. “If you think it’s inappropriate or if I’m not welcome, it’s fine. I understand.”

 

“Did Chaerin told you?” She lifted her face and looked at him.

 

Donghae looked at her face before answering, a hesitant smile appearing on his face. “That you wanted to do girly stuff? Yeah, she thought you would have a blast painting my toenails and curling my hair.”

 

Dara could not even muster a smile. She’s feeling too ashamed of herself. Being so independent for as long as she had known herself and just one incident and she fell into the typical damsel in ing distress. She had always hated those stories. And now she was one of them. And the worst thing is, Donghae is not even admitting that he came to her rescue. God, she’s a pathetic, weak, fool. And Donghae knows it.

 

Donghae watched the emotions playing on her face and knowing how Dara is probably feeling after what she had gone through earlier. He couldn’t sleep even if he wanted to that night. And the couch in his living room isn’t doing anything much to his comfort, thanks to Chaerin who took over his room. He had been checking his phone every now and then wondering if he should call her again to see if she’s okay or if she’s feeling any pain but decided she needed to rest and sleep. So when Chaerin sleepily told him Dara is asking for a sleep over, he immediately jumped and told Chaerin she could have his damn room. Now looking at Dara, he realized she wasn’t just having post-traumatic reactions on what had happened to her. She was upset to admit that she was scared. It probably hurt her to admit it much more than what Rick had done to her.

 

“It’s okay to be scared—“ Donghae started.

 

“I’m not scared,” Dara rebutted but crossed her arms in case in decided to shake again.

 

“No, you’re probably not,” Donghae said smiling now at how defensive Dara sounded over a simple phrase.

 

Dara’s brows furrowed even more at Donghae’s response. Is he mocking her? “I’m not weak,” she said as if it will convince Donghae that she wasn’t scared.

 

Donghae looked surprised at what she said though. “Weak?” He shook his head. “Dara, being scared doesn’t mean you’re weak. You’re far from being weak. You never back down, you will youself to keep on fighting, you try your damnedest to win even if it’s a lost cause… You try to be strong for your mom, for your brother… And what you did to Rick… Dara you are… the strongest girl I have ever met. It’s okay to be scared once in your life and it doesn’t mean it’s making you less of who you are.”

 

Dara just looked at Donghae and she let out a breath after realizing she must’ve looked and sound stupid. “You know… you’re beginning to sound really smart nowadays. What have you been feeding on?”

 

Donghae smirked. “And you’re also the most stubborn, most sarcastic person I have ever met.” He sat back down on the couch. “So… can I crash in?”

 

Dara narrowed her eyes at him and gave the matter a serious thought. “If I threw you out, would that be considered as an evil act?”

 

Donghae threw his legs over the couch’s armrest and laid his head down on the other. “If you can lift me up, go ahead.”

 

Dara made a face at him and hobbled towards her room.

 

“If you still up to braiding my hair and do girly stuff, you’re welcome to do so,” Donghae said before she can close her bedroom door.

 

“Shut up,” Dara said which earned a grin from Donghae knwoing full well those girly stuff she texted Chaerin is just a front. Dara closed the door behind her but remained standing where she was. She didn’t know what she was thinking but… she felt she can sleep a lot better if Donghae is just a step away from her. Before she can even contradict herself, she opened the door again and called him, who was already trying to fit himself on the small couch. He looked up at her.

 

“Do you…” She cleared . “You can… you know… sleep here… in—in the room…”

 

Donghae slowly sat up, staring at her. After watching her face blossoming in red, he crossed his arms over his chest like a shield and narrowed his eyes suspiciously at her. “What are you planning to do to me?”

 

Dara’s embarassment swept over like a tide as she scowled at him. “Oh please. I was only trying to be considerate since I know you’re been born with a silver spoon in your mouth and bed of cotton on your back so I think that couch would be uncomfortable and I’m not inviting you to sleep in my bed doofus. You can sleep on Suzy’s bed but you gotta make sure you stay on your side or—“

 

“Aish, always so defensive,” Donghae interrupted as he got up from the couch, grinning like a maniac and walked past her before she can come up with more reason why she offered for him to in the room. She watched Donghae as he climbed on Suzy’s bed, bunching up the pillows and spreading the blanket over him.

 

“You sure your friend won’t mind?” Donghae asked.

 

“You were asking that after you already left your mark there?” Dara said and limped her way to her own bed, the pain in her leg already receding. She gently lifted her leg again and laid down. “No, she won’t mind,” she belatedly answered. “Suzy isn’t always here anyway.”

 

“Why?”

 

“I don’t know. I think she only sleeps here like, twice a month. Thrice at the most. It’s a miracle if she slept here four times.”

 

Donghae moved to his side so he was facing her from the other bed.

 

“So, you’re always here alone.” It wasn’t a question but a statement but Dara answered it anyway

 

“Pretty much. I prefer it that way anyway. Leaves more room to think without all the buzz in and outside my brain.”

 

Donghae grinned. “You think a lot?”

 

“Duh,” Dara said.

 

“What’re you thinking right now?”

 

Dara stared at the ceiling. “That I’d probably give in to these urges of strangling you to death in your sleep…”

 

Donghae chuckled softly. “That’ll be fine as long as you keep your urges to me in check.”

 

Dara wryly threw him a look of disgust. “Ugh! Listen to yourself, you conceited pig.”

 

Donghae grinned widely at her reaction. “You’re beginning to like me, don’t you?”

 

Dara shook her head in disbelief as she returned her attention in looking up at the ceiling deciding his question doesn’t even merit an answer.

 

“Admit it,” Donghae said. “You like me. That’s why you didn’t call me first because you would feel self-conscious around me.”

 

Dara rolled her eyes. This guy’s egotism knows no bounds.

 

“You like me, right?” Donghae continued teasing her then added in a sing-songy voice. “Dara likes Donghae, Dara likes Donghae.”

 

Dara turned to her side and faced Donghae, any sign of humor off from her face as she stared at Donghae with smoldering eyes.

 

“I don’t like you, Donghae,” Dara said in a somber tone. “I love you.”

 

Donghae blinked, his smile gradually fading as he stared back at her, his heart thumping loudly on his chest.

 

“I want to date you. I want to marry you. I want to have your kids. Little babies, little Donghae’s and little Dara’s. Tie you by my side so you would never be out of my sight again. Call you every hour just to know where you are. Text you every second so you wouldn’t forget me.”

 

Donghae’s astounded expression turned into a scowl as he listened to Dara’s confession.

 

“I vow that only death can tear us apart,” Dara continued earnestly. “That nothing and no one can ever come between us! That even if the odds are against us, I will do everything to keep our love going. Our love will prevail as it is pure and innocent!” She stretched out her arms in a flourish as if she was declaiming. Donghae scowl deepened even more as Dara turned to him with a grinning face. “You know, I think I should’ve used that as my confession to your friends. A lot more convincing, right?”

 

“Go to sleep,” Donghae said irritably before turning over to his side so his back is now facing Dara. He silently let out a breath, confused on how and why it made him so nervous.

 

Dara chuckled softly as Donghae turned his back on her. I win. Always have always will. She laid down on her back again and turned her attention back at the ceiling, her silent laughter falling off. She could see a small spider’s web on the corner and she made a mental note to clean the room when she get the chance. She glanced at Donghae’s back, thankful that he was here with her. She doesn’t know why but she feels more at ease when he’s around. More comfortable. More herself. Why, she had no idea. Maybe it’s because she knows Donghae already knew the total foul-mouthed girl she is. Or maybe, she just altogether doesn’t care what he thinks of her. Or maybe she did. Just a little.

 

But why is he doing all these for her? Why is he being so caring all of a sudden? Because of the deal they made? That he’ll do anything she will demand? But it doesn’t seem like it. She didn’t know when it happened but somet

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter