Chapter 5

All Bets Are Off
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dara was smiling manically at the TV thinking of ways to get back at that slimy, two faced, jerk when Suzy arrived at 10:30 in the evening, surprised to see her still awake.

 

“You’re still awake?” Suzy asked closing the door behind her. “Where’ve you been anyway? They told me you were off.”

 

“Yep,” Dara answered then frowned at the thought that Donghae was the one who had informed her. “I was informed late.”

 

Suzy sat down on the couch with her. “So where’dya go?”

 

“Had a date with the guy I was telling you about,” Dara said.

 

Suzy beamed. “Really? Oh my gosh! You finally admit you liked him? How did it go?”

 

Dara smirked sarcastically. “It was enlightening.” She picked up the crumpled paper with the bet written on it. “This is the highlight of my life.”

 

“What’s that?” Suzy asked taking the paper. Her eyes were wide after reading it. “Lee Donghae is the guy you were talking about?”

 

“Mm hmm.”

 

“Lee Donghae?! He’s like, one those filthy rich people featured on Time Magazine! And Kim Kibum? Cho Kyuhyun? Kim Yesung? Lee Eunhyuk? Lee Sungmin? And our CEO Choi Siwon?” Suzy asked incredulously. “They are like, one of the most powerful, well known names in the country!”

 

Dara narrowed her eyes. “And apparently, they got too bored with their wealth so they decided to play a game on an innocent girl. They never changed. They were like that in high school and boy, it pisses me off how they always manipulate the student body, and they’re still the same. Although, I really can’t remember most of them.”

 

Suzy’s eyes got wider. “Wait. They’re your schoolmates??”

 

Dara glanced at Suzy. Suzy was never aware that Dara’s family had been well-off once and could afford to go to school of the elite. When she met her, Dara was already struggling to get through finances, college tuition, and going to Busan, where they moved after her father died, to  help her mother’s laundry business then travelling back to Seoul for her studies. She wanted to quit but her mother insisted she continue college to get a better future.

 

“Yeah,” Dara said turning her attention back at the TV not really going into details.

 

Suzy’s forehead creased at Dara’s vague answer but didn’t prod her. She looked back at the paper again. “So CEO Siwon knows you from way back in your teens?”

 

“I think so since he decided it was fun to play a game on me.”

 

“I think he was against it,” Suzy said putting the paper in front of Dara and pointing at a different handwriting. “See here? I think this was CEO Siwon’s writing that he wanted Lee Donghae to apologize to you if he lost and funds to be tranferred at your bank. Like a last minute input.”

 

“Yeah, I kinda figured that out but it feels good blaming him too. I can’t believe he’s making me a charity case.”

 

“Why would you think that?”

 

Dara sighed before deciding to tell Suzy. “My father was filthy rich too when I was younger and these guys… we all attended the same high school together. Then my father died and left us with a lot of debts. We were driven out of the house with no money, not even a shilling, and we were left to ask for help from our relatives who let us rent a little house in Busan where my mother started her business and getting three jobs so we would have something to eat. Siwon probably knows that. I don’t know about his rotten friends but I’m guessing they’re too thick to actually comprehend that wealthy people get out of money too. My life is pretty dramatic.”

 

Suzy was silent and Dara looked at her then grimaced at the look of pity on her eyes. “Oh please,” Dara said. “That is why I don’t want to tell you anything. I hate that look!” She could remember the look her aunts, her uncles, her cousins, their family’s  so called friends giving them that look but always finding excuses when they are asking for help. It was her worst and best memory. Worst as they found out their life was sorrounded by hypocrites and best because it’s what made her stronger. Mentally that is.

 

“Sorry, I can’t believe you didn’t tell me.”

 

“It was so long ago,” Dara said. “I didn’t think it matters now. And why is this converation suddenly turned into my history?” She flicked her finger on the paper. “They’re using me for a bet. A little bit of sympathy would be nice!”

 

Suzy chuckled. “Yes, I can’t believe this.” She looked back down on the paper again. “I had even thought you would finally get to date someone. So… Lee Donghae was the one who’s making you feel… I mean.. do you really like Lee Donghae?”

 

Dara scoffed. “Hell ing no. Now that I think about it, he took advantage of my innocence. My young heart is not able to take all those radiant smiling all the time, like some kind of idiot. You know, I’m more used to smirking and those I’m-going-to-kill-you kind of look so what he did is a new action for me so I think that’s where all those sappy thoughts come from and I am so damn glad to get it all cleared up.”

 

Suzy just looked at her in amusement as she rattled off her logical explanation.

 

“They’re big people. Lee Donghae alone is probably larger than life,” Suzy said. “What are you gonna do?”

 

“Nothing,” Dara said. “Probably sit in a corner, cry, and think life isn’t fair and have someone lend me a shoulder to cry on… a sympathetic hand to hold on thinking Lee Donghae played me for a fool. You know, the usual.”

 

Suzy scoffed. “Right. If I knew you at all, you’re going to get him back big time.”

 

Dara grinned. “You knew me so well, it scares me.”

 

 

 

 

Dara woke up early feeling refreshed even only getting 4 hours of sleep, max. She couldn’t sleep last night as her adrenaline was pumping. Her conversation last night with Suzy was both funny and gross. They were both discussing ideas on how to get back at Donghae with Suzy suggesting to make Donghae fall inlove with her for real, then dropping him like a hot potato. Dara only looked at her wryly as Suzy  made that suggestion and she flicked her forehead. That’s what she get for reading too many novels! Dara told Suzy that this is not a romance novel wherein a rich, chauvinistic cassanova will fall inlove with a poor, innocent giri unexpectedly and the poor, innocent girl turning out to be some kind of a vindictive heiress with all men all lined up asking for her hand. Dara said it wll only take two weeks for the bet to be done and she’s going to make sure Lee Donghae will lose. But not before playing with him first. Suzy just looked at her in puzzlement and Dara waved her off saying she’s way too innocent to play cunning games. After they had gone to bed, Dara couldn’t sleep, still formulating her plan.

 

Now, for the first time in her life, aside from her school uniform in high school, she is going to wear a skirt. The skirt Suzy had given her 2 years ago which she had tossed in her closet and got buried in her pile of clothes. The skirt is already paired with a shirt and she have to admit, she looked pretty cute. She blow dried her hair, put on some face powder, but decided against wearing heels. She put on her sneakers that had hidden wedges on them (one she is saving for special occasions) and she’s all set. Lee Donghae expects her to be a girl then so she will be. Plan A: Make him think he’s winning.

 

She smirked as she glanced at the wall clock then grimaced. 6:45am. Drat! This is the earliest she had ever woken up for work. She picked up her bag and tiptoed out of the room so as not to wake Suzy and left the house. She stared at the space where she had seen Donghae waiting for her for the last two days and she kicked the air on it pretending Donghae was there. Just you wait, ! She stomped her way to the bus stop trying to get her irritation under control.

 

 

 

 

Donghae woke up with the light spilling out from his curtains. He reached for his watch and groaned when he saw it was only 7:15. Ah damn. He should be sleeping more but instead, he had been getting up early just so he could drive that crazy girl to work as part of his plan. He had planned to skip seeing Dara today but the messages he’s got from Kibum, taunting him of his villa, is enough to really make up his mind to speed things up with Dara to end it after. What did he got himself into? He sat up morosely and brushed his face with his hands in agitation. He kicked off his blanket and walked out of his room to go to the kitchen. He made himself some coffee, one of the disadvantages of living alone without any helpers, and went to the bathroom to take a shower.

 

He was already adjusting the cuffs on his polo shirt when his phone rang. His heart skipped a beat when he saw it was Yoona calling him.

 

“Hey beautiful,” he answered smiling.

 

“Hey stranger,” Yoona said. “I haven’t seen you since that car exhibit. Where’ve you been to?”

 

“Just keeping up with the guys,” Donghae said. “You want to have… uh… breakfast?” As usual, when it comes to asking Yoona out even for a simple breakfast, his tongue rolls back and he could feel his face flaming.

 

“I’m actually at the airport right now. I’m going to Europe,” Yoona said and Donghae stopped adjusting his cuffs. “I had a friend there who invited me to spend a couple of days with her and might know where I can buy that Phantom. You know, the one which I told you about? I’m crossing my fingers though, even if it’s a long shot.” She laughed.

 

Donghae wanted to tell her he’s going to give it to her in two weeks but he doesn’t want to disappoint her in the end if he lost the bet. “But you just got back….”

 

“I know but I can’t sit still and just wanted to explore, you know. Maybe it’s in my genes. The only reason I came back is because I missed you but you had gone all hiding from me so I decided to just leave.”

 

Donghae’s heart stopped. “You… missed… me?”

 

“You guys are my closest friends. I have never been friends with any girls in high school and you guys are my knight in shining armors so of course I missed you.” Donghae’s shoulders dropped. Right.  “What are the rest of the guys doing anyway? I haven’t talked to them at all except in text messages.”

 

“They’re just around being morons,” Donghae said trying to joke to cover his disappointment. “The usual. How long until you come back?”

 

Yoona laughed and Donghae couldn’t help but smile. He swear he could live with just hearing her laughter. “Only for a couple of days. Maybe a week. Really depends. I’m just going to disappear for a while so you all would miss me.”

 

Donghae wet his lips gathering enough courage to tell her he’ll miss her every damn day. “Yoona, i—“

 

“Oh crap, I’m going to board the plane now, I missed the call. See you in a couple of days. Or a week. Love yah!”

 

Donghae sighed as he heard the beep of Yoona hanging up. “Stupid!” He berated himself. How come it’s so easy for Yoona to tell him Love Yah when he can’t even say he miss her? Easy. She doesn’t feel the same way you do. “Shut up.” Then he groaned. Now he’s talking to himself. Whatever craziness Dara have is creeping up on him. He looked in the mirror, frowning ferociously. He really need to get this over with. Fast. Once he had the car, which he hoped Yoona wouldn’t be able to find one, he’ll tell her everything he’s feeling. And hoped she would learn to feel the same way.

 

Hours later, he was parked in front of Dara’s apartment, leaning on his car and waiting for her to get out of the house. He looked at his watch. It’s already past 9. Is she late? He bit the inside of his cheek and took out his phone. Maybe he could give her a ring. She answered on the 5th ring.

 

“What do you want?” She answered without a hello. Her voice sounded belligerent.

 

“Good morning to you too,” Donghae said. Pause then he heard her sigh. He must’ve woken her up and she’s grumpy. “Sorry for waking you up. Aren’t you going to be late?”

 

Another pause. “Maybe...”

 

“I’ll drop you off. I’m outside your house,” Donghae said smiling.

 

“Really?” Her voice suddenly became upbeat. “Okay, then wait for me. I’ll just take a shower, okay?”

 

“Okay,” Donghae said now grinning broadly. Her voice sounded happy. Oh yeah, I’mma win this thing.

 

An hour later, his grin turned into frown. What the hell is taking her so long? He glanced at his watch. He’s going to be late on his own meeting. Maybe she fell asleep again. Should he call her to wake her up? He tapped his phone thinking then dialled her number again.

 

“Yes?” She answered.

 

“Hey,” Donghae said trying not to let his irritation leak into his voice. “Aren’t you ready yet?”

 

“Oh, I am so ready,” Dara said.

 

“Good,” Donghae said. “I’ll be here.”

 

30 minutes more and the door stayed close. “What the…” Donghae picked up his phone and dialled her number again. It just kept on ringing. He tried calling her again when the door opened. And a girl with yellow whire floral dress came out who paused when she saw him.

 

“Hi,” Donghae greeted as he hit the end button. “I’m waiting for Dara?”

 

“Dara?” The girl frowned in confusion. “She… already left early this morning….”

 

Donghae just stood there looking at her until her response sunk in. “She already left?”

 

The girl nodded reluctantly.

 

“Are you sure she’s not… in the bathroom… or in her room or…”

 

The girl shook her head. “She had production early today.”

 

Donghae let out an irritated breath. Oh you have got to be kidding me! He nodded her thanks to the girl and went inside his car and stormed off. That crazy girl. What the hell! He waited for almost two hours for nothing! And she couldn’t even bother to tell him she’s already in CSW. It’s really pissing him off. He took out his phone and punched in her number again waiting to rant. Dara answered this time.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Why the hell didn’t you tell me you already left?!” He said irritated.

 

“Are you yelling at me?! You stu—“ Dara stopped then he heard her clear before she spoke again, her voice soft but quivering. “Are you mad at me?” He heard her sniffle. “I thought I was still in my room when you called and… I couldn’t think because I was so happy you called and… You aren’t mad at me right? Right?”

 

Donghae felt his irritation drain as he listened to Dara sniffling, his mouth opening slightly. Is this really Dara? Why is her voice suddenly gone all… girly?

 

“You’re mad at me, I knew it!” Donghae was snapped out his thoughts when Dara suddenly wailed loudly. “I’m just a girl!” She continued. “I forget things when a guy suddenly called me and told me he was waiting for me. I wanted to go ba

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter