Chapter 3

All Bets Are Off
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dara opened her eyes blearily when she heard her alarm clock going off. She couldn’t sleep last night. By the time when sleep had touched her senses, she could see light spilling on the side of the curtains. Whenever she closed her eyes, an image of a smiling face leaning close to her is invading her thoughts. She got up and stepped out of bed, swaying to the bathroom. She brushed her teeth and looked in the mirror, seeing her bloodshot eyes, big eyebags, her hair looking like it exploded on her head. She looked worse than yesterday, if that’s even possible. She spit the foamy water on the sink and his face popped into her head again. She stood up staright, her face contorted. She hit her head with the heel of her hand. That Donghae’s face again. Get out of my head! She irritably washed and went to shower, still grimacing.

 

One thing she is sure of as she put on her baggy shirt and slim pants. Donghae did some kind of voodoo magic on her or something imprinting his face in her brain so she could like him too. Ugh! Once she sees him, she’s gonna kick his and demand him to remove whatever curse he put on her. It’s bad enough that she is beginning to have serious heart problems, she doesn’t need to see his face every damn waking hours too!

 

She put her hair up again in a loose ponytail after drying it and walked out of her room, seeing that it was already close to 8. Mr. Kraz would porbably bust a vein if she was late again. It doesn’t matter if there isn’t any projects. He’s just going to bust a vein if it is her who is late. She opened the door and walked out, locking it and proceeded to walk down the three steps when she froze. Donghae stood there wearing dark sunglasses, both his hands in his pockets and leaning on his car. He smiled without showing his teeth when he saw her and lifted his left hand in a wave.

 

Here it is again. Her heart took this time to suddenly go into overdrive, beating so fast she felt she did a morning jog. She put her hand in her chest and she could feel it against her hand. She scowled walking over to him, wanting to demand to drive her to a nearby hospital because she thinks she’s gonna have a heart attack.

 

“You okay?” Donghae said his brows furrowed in concern. “You look flushed.”

 

Flushed? She should be pale, shouldn’t she? Her dad was almost colorless when she saw the people lifting him on the stretcher after that attack.

 

“I think I need to go to the hospital,” she said pensively. “I think i’m coming down with something.”

 

“Oh... oka—“

 

“What are you doing here?” Dara asked cutting him off.

 

“I wanted to drop you off at work before I go to mine.”

 

“Why?”

 

Donghae let out a breath. “Do you always ask a reason for everything?”

 

“Uh… yeah.”

 

Donghae sighed dramatically before smiling at her. “I told you last night. I like you and I wanted to spend time with you. And before you ask why again…” He lifted a finger as Dara started to open .  “it’s because I don’t need a reason to. I just do. And besides, isn’t it a good thing I decided to come here? I could take you to the hospital.”

 

“Hospital? Who said I’m going there?” Dara asked in confusion.

 

“Didn’t you say you need to go to the hospital?” It was Donghae’s turn to be confused.

 

“Oh, I was just thinking out loud,” Dara said. Hospitals meant money. And that is one thing she doesn’t have. She’ll ask Suzy some home remedies or something. And besides, she feels her heart is going back to its normal pace.

 

Donghae just stared at her before chuckling. This girl is really going to make him nuts in just a matter of days.

 

Dara adjusted her bag strap and looked down at the ground feeling her face hot again after seeing Donghae’s eyes crinkling as he laughed and those pearly whites… Hold up! Here is that feeling again. She looked up and glared at him. “Okay, stop it!”

 

Donghae stopped mid-chuckle as Dara stood there giving him a fierce glare. “Stop what?”

 

“This! Whatever it is you’re doing, I want you to stop it!” Dara said. “Ugh!” She turned around to walk towards the bus stop trying to will herself to calm down before her temper bust out of her cage and break his nose.

 

That might have been better. At least he would have something to mar his chiseled face. She stopped walking and put her hands on her face in horror. Oh my god, what the hell is she even thinking!

 

Donghae had easily caught up with her, blocking her way as he stepped in front of her. “Sandara—“

 

“Stay out of my sight! You—you—you occultist!” She growled before hitting his arm with her bag twice surprising Donghae with her outburst before she stomped off angrily, muttering under her breath.

 

Donghae just watched her go, dumbfounded. He took off his sunglasses and put one of his hands on his hip unable to find words. What just happened? “Occultist?” Was all he had managed to say in confusion wondering what the hell was that.

 

 

 

 

Dara had her brows meeting the entire bus ride and even when she was greeted by the security guard at the entrance of CSW. She was such in a bad mood she doesn’t think meeting Mr. Kraz on the hallway or anywhere would be a good idea if she wants to keep her job. She decided to go to the cafeteria to get some coffee first to calm her nerves before going to the Production department.

 

She was waiting on the coffee from the vending machine when she caught sight of Suzy buying some sandwich. She took the cup and strode over to her. As usual, Suzy looked like Dirt doesn’t exist in her world. Her clothes clean and feminine, her hair long and shiny, her face fresh. Should she really be the correct person to ask for her ailment? Curses and voodoo might be foreign words to her.

 

“Hey Dara,” Suzy said upon seeing her then noticed her expression. “Why are you always mad? It’s so early in the morning.”

 

“I think I got cursed,” Dara said in a serious tone.

 

“What?”

 

Dara looked around if someone is near enough to eavesdrop then pulled Suzy in a corner.

 

“I think I’m cursed,” Dara repeated. Suzy looked like she wanted to laugh and Dara pressed on. “It’s the truth! I never believed it at first but looking at the facts, I think i’m a victim of a voodoo magic.”

 

Suzy burst out laughing at Dara’s grave expression. Dara put her hands on her hips looking irritated.

 

“Sorry,” Suzy said as she laughed. “What makes you think that?”

 

“I was normal until I met this guy! Now it feels like he’s slowly ruining my life. I only met him for a day and now he’s done something to me that I can’t even understand!”

 

Suzy stopped laughing and looked at her with amusement. “A guy? You met a guy?”

 

“Yes!” Dara said. “I tell you, he cursed me. Maybe because… I don’t know.. he punished me because I didn’t remember him because he seems like the type who doesn’t want to be forgotten by anybody… seems more like an egomaniac… Should I need to consult, like a quack doctor or something?”

 

Suzy bit her lip trying not to laugh again at Dara’s naivete. “Okay, maybe I could help you. And I want you to answer me honestly.” Dara nodded earnestly looking like anything Suzy say will help her get over whatever sickness she caught. “What happens when you see him?”

 

Dara blinked her eyes, thinking. “It’s like I’m having a heart attack. And I know I don’t have heart problems even if my dad has one because I’m strong, really healthy. But whenever he’s near, I get this…” She gestured with her hands not really sure what word to describe it.

 

“Feeling in your chest, like you can’t breathe?” Suzy asked narrowing her eyes.

 

“Yes.”

 

“You were thinking about him even though you don’t intend to?”

 

“Yes!”

 

“You keep noticing little things about him like his smile, his eyes, his clothes, or how perfect he seems to be…”

 

“Yes, yes, yes!” Dara said nodding her head off. Suzy does know whatever she’s having right now.

 

Suzy laughed. “Oh my god! Dara, you like him!”

 

Dara froze, her smile falling. “What?”

 

“You like him!” Suzy repeated. “After so long, some guy had managed to get close enough for you to like. Oh my god! Who is he?”

 

“No.” Dara shook her head, utmost horror on her face. “No, no, no.” She let out a humorless laugh.

 

“Yes.” Suzy said. “It’s not the end of the world. Geez. So you like him, big deal. It’s not gonna get you killed.”

 

“Hell no!” Dara yelled and some of the people looked over at them but Dara didn’t care. She liked him? She liked that Donghae whom she doesn’t even remember in high school? This is a mistake. Suzy is wrong.

 

Suzy crossed put her hands on her hips also ignoring the people looking at them. “It only proves you’re a girl. A human. Because sometimes, I really question which specie you came from.”

 

“No!” Dara tipped the cup of coffee in , drinking it all in one gulp ignoring how it scalded her tongue. “You’re wrong!”

 

“What is so bad about liking someone?” Suzy asked.

 

“No!” Dara slammed the empty cup down on the nearby table. She won’t accept that. That is the most ridiculous diagnosis she had ever been given!

 

“Is he that ugly?” Suzy asked again.

 

“No!”She put her hands to cover her ears. “No no no!” She wailed as she turned and ran out of the cafreteria all the while saying her denial. Suzy just watched her in consternation thinking it must’ve been a big shock to her friend. Discovering she’s a girl.

 

 

 

Donghae went to CSW after dropping in his comp

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter