Chapter 11

All Bets Are Off
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Donghae got what he wanted. Aside from saving his face and pride and dignity, he’s got the Phantom car safely parked at the garage of the building of his unit, the thousand grand all deposited in his bank account. Whatever suspicion his friends  had about his questionable win was left unanswered as they couldn’t very well confront Dara themselves if the bet really was unknown to her so they had no choice but to acknowledge that Donghae did win the bet. It had been a great day.

 

But one hell of a week. True to Dara’s vow of revenge, she used the deal to the full extent of her power as she ordered Donghae around like some kind of a servant.

 

Pick me up at 6 am. I have early morning production.

 

Bring me some coffee. I’ll pay you when the deal is over.

 

Pick me up here, the bus is too crowded.

 

It’s already 7 o’clock and I’m so tired and I want to sleep.

 

What time are you taking me home? I don’t have money for a cab.

 

I’m hungry, can you bring me some ramen? I can’t go down to buy in 7/11.

 

That was included on the list of tasks i gave you if you even read it. Task number 3.

 

It was on task number 8.

 

It was on task number 13.

 

Pick me up here, pick me up there, take me here, take me there, buy me this, buy me that. Task number this, task number that. If Donghae uttered one complain, Dara would immediately pick up her phone to call Siwon or threatening him to post the bet and the deal in the internet ending with Donghae resentfully doing what Dara is ordering at that time.

 

If Dara even tell him what task number it is for whatever she is ordering him to do one more time, he would burn that damn piece of paper! He just needed to remind himself to endure this because it’s all going to be worth it in the end. He just needs to assure himself it’s gonna be over real soon. He have to think of it as his course to get the girl of his dreams. If he is able to get through Dara, he would be able to get through anything.

 

But this course is really testing his patience. He’s not even allowed to be late when picking her up every morning to get her to CSW. With that, he have to wake up really early even if he stayed up late in the office the night before. If he was going to be late in picking her up to get her home, he would have to have an acceptable reason (by Dara’s standards). If a meeting had suddenly came up that he couldn’t attend Dara’s crazy demands, he was then required to take a picture of the meeting and send it to her so she would see he was telling the truth. He can’t believe he have to stealthily take a picture while his staff is showing him a presentation. If anyone from his staff knew about it, they would lose all respect for him! Heaven knows he’s starting to lose respect of himself, stooping so low as to be that psycho’s butler or something. Never mind the fact that he was the one who offered that deal. He had known  Dara’s going to take advantage of it but never had he imagined to that extent of abuse!

 

What he would give to get rid of her! If it wasn’t for his word of keeping this deal, and Dara’s constant threats, he would definitely just leave it to pursue the main reason he made the bet in the first place. Yoona is not even talking to him anymore even if he had sent her so many text messages and called her many times. Was she really that mad at him for abandoning a pregnant woman? Who’s not even pregnant to begin with? If the tabloid even printed that bull, he’s gonna have a lot of explaining to do to his grandmother. Thank god the people at that restaurant are too elegant to use him for public fodder.  

 

Now, he checked his watch and scowled when he saw it was already close to 10 in the evening while he stood there beside his car, the bag of food Dara had told him to get her for dinner, waiting for her to get down in CSW so he could take her home, as one of her demands to be done everyday. It has already been 1 hour and 30 minutes that he was kept waiting.

 

“Damn her!” He muttered irritably. He’s gotta remember to list down all the things he’s gonna get back at Dara for. Just she wait! He doesn’t know how he will get back at her, but he will of think of something.  He’s been out of the office early today and all he wanted is to plop in his bed, maybe even have a drink first before that, but no. That was probably too much to ask as Dara reminded him to be there at CSW by 8 to get her home. He had asked so nicely if she could take just the bus as he was so tired but Dara had responded with Maybe CEO Siwon would agree to take me home and I believe he would be very interested by something I would show him. Oh, and I think I could probably get Yoona’s number too while I’m at it.

 

She only looked innocent but she’s definitely a spawn of satan!

 

He pulled his phone out and punched in Dara’s number.

 

“I’m already here,” Donghae irritably said when Dara answered.

 

“Can you come up with my food? I’m really busy,” Dara said.

 

Donghae felt his mouth open at her audacity! “You are really taking this slave thing a little too seriously, you know.”

 

“I can’t talk, okay,” Dara said sounding irritated as well. “If you don’t want to, then fine. You can go home.” Click.

 

Donghae growled in irritation. That girl is really driving him nuts! Still gritting his teeth, he slammed his car door shut and proceeded to go to the floor where the Writer’s department is. There weren’t many people around anymore and when he arrived at the write’s floor, he saw that Dara is the only one there, typing furiously in her keyboard, her brows knotted in concentration. He sighed while gritting his teeth as he opened the glass door and stepped inside. Dara didn’t even look up.

 

“Your food’s here,” Donghae said, his patience already running thin.

 

“Yeah, thanks,” Dara said moving her keyboard, her eyes focused on the screen.

 

Donghae moved his eyes upward. God help him from impossible psychos. He walked towards her and placed the bag of food on her desk.

 

“Your food, Master,” Donghae said sarcastically.

 

Dara just took the bag and put it on the other side of her desk still concentrating on what she is working on. Donghae sighed again.

 

“Are you gonna take long? Or may I have your leave to go home?” His voice dripping with sarcasm.

 

“Yeah just go home,” Dara said not even looking at him.

 

Donghae narrowed his eyes expecting another threat to come out of but she just continued typing on her keyboard and moving her mouse in between. He turned around slowly, expecting her to call out her plan in calling Siwon once he put a foot outside of the glass door as part of her diabolical plan for a laugh. He opened the door then stopped waiting for Dara to call him but he can only hear silence except for the sound of the keyboard being hit in succession. He turned his head to look at Dara who had her attention entirely focused on what she is doing. He bit the inside of his cheek while looking at her thoughtfully wondering if this is still some kind of trick. He jumped when Dara suddenly slammed her palms on the keyboard then covering her face then brushing it through her hair looking as stressed as he felt.

 

Donghae watched her stare at the monitor looking like she wanted to hit it then putting a hand on her forehead like massaging her headache away, her brows still furrowed. He rolled his eyes before closing the door and walking towards her.

 

“What the hell is wrong with you?” Donghae asked.

 

Dara looked up and Donghae was surprised that she looked like she was trying hard not to cry or something.

 

“You’re still here?” Dara asked.

 

“Yeah, I’m surprised with that myself,” Donghae said. He nodded at the monitor. “What are you doing?”

 

Dara turned her attention back to the monitor, putting aside a bunch of crumpled papers on the side, then proceeded in typing again. “Nothing,” she answered after a moment’s pause. “Just leave. I think I’m gonna be here all night.”

 

Donghae just watched her before asking, “Why?”

 

Dara let out a heavy breath. “It’s because I’m stupid, that’s why.”

 

Donghae was taken aback. “Wow, I’ve never heard you actually criticize yourself.”

 

“Just leave, okay?” Dara said irritably. “Or do you want to hear me criticize myself more? Yes, I’m stupid, an idiot. Hopeless, imbecile, incompetent, inefficient, incapable! No wonder I get fired all the time! Are you happy now?!”

 

“Woah, woah,” Donghae said completely surprised now at the look of vehemence on Dara’s face. “What is up with you?”

 

Dara felt she’s going to explode from trying not to smash her head on the wall. She turned her attention back at what she is doing and ranted on. “I deleted the folder where the script and the new logo and the floor sequencing of the music show on Saturday, that is two days from now, on our shared drive. I can’t find the hard copy, no one has the copy online, so I have to redo the script which I didn’t do so I had no idea where to start! I can’t believe I’m such an idiot! I’m probably gonna get fired tomorrow if Mr. Kraz finds out. Oh, who the hell am I kidding? I am gonna get fired once he finds out the script isn’t what he had approved of. Even the sequencing is way off. Ugh, such a ing idiot!” Now all she can think was where will she find the money to send to her mother’s medicine. And her brother’s tuition. Maybe Mr. Kraz was right. She is really incompetent. Maybe she would just go AWOL tomorrow.

 

Donghae just let her rant while raising his brows then he shook his head, sighed, then pulled a chair to sit beside Dara.

 

“What are you doing?” Dara asked looking at him sit beside her.

 

“Helping you,” Donghae answered. “Although god knows why I feel it’s my responsibility to help you. You’ve been nothing but really cruel to me.” He scooted his chair closer, moving Dara’s chair off.

 

“You were cruel to me first,” Dara answered then slapped Donghae’s hands off her keyboard. “I don’t need your help. Just go home!”

 

“You see, that’s why it’s impossible to talk to you,” Donghae said. “You rebuff everything, you never listen—”

 

“I don’t need your help,” Dara repeated.

 

“—and you think everyone has an ulterior motive at everything.”

 

“Don’t you?” Dara rebutted.

 

“At this time, I don’t,” Donghae said pulling the keyboard towards him. “Contrary to your belief, I have a conscience and I can’t leave a girl to fend for herself at this time of night if I left you to finish this so I’m gonna help you so we could both go home.”

 

Dara opened but Donghae cut her off. “Have you eaten yet?”

 

Now that he mentioned it, Dara’s stomach has been growling since 5 o’clock. “No,” she answered.

 

Donghae nodded towards the bag he brought earlier. “Eat first. It’s easier to think with a full stomach.” He turned his attention to the computer, put his hands on the keyboard to start typing. But his fingers stayed motionless, his eyes focused on the screen. “Uh… I have no idea about scriptwriting.”

 

Dara rolled her eyes. “Yeah, color me shocked.” She started to scoot Donghae’s chair off but Donghae minimized the script she was working on to the logo of the show she had been working on on power point and some other application to recreate the logo of the music show similar to what she had seen Mei had submitted for approval. She had found an older version and now she’s trying to tweak it hoping Mei would come in early tomorrow so she could ask her if it’s similar to the one Mr. Kraz had approved of. Which she knew is a long shot. Why didn’t she ever paid any attention to any program’s logos? She had never knew it was important until tonight!

 

“This is what’s familiar to me,” Donghae said. “Just eat and I can do the logo.”

 

“You don’t even know what the logo is supposed to be!” Dara said. “If you mess it up—“

 

“I was the one who made the logo,” Donghae said. “I made this for Siwon when he took over the company.” His hand started to move while eyes are focused on the screen. “The guys and i were the ones who thought up of that music program for CSW.” Then he smirked at her. “And that’s when we were just in college.”

 

Dara scowled at his insinuation of his supposed intellect.

 

“And it’s not a music program. It’s a plug-in for amateur musicians who wishes to showcase their talents and be known for a day. Some gets lucky and gets signed on, some are just… living the moment….” Donghae looked at her. “You do know what the program is all about, right?”

 

“You think I’m an idiot?” Dara said before rolling her chair and taking the bag of food Donghae brought her. The truth is, she really has no idea. She was caught up in just editing the script, only looking for grammatical errors, wrong verbs, sentence construction, noting how the lines should be delivered, but she never really understand what she is editing. When she deleted the folder and found herself in dire trouble, panic seized her at the thought of doing the entire script which had taken the team 2 days to finish, what with Mr. Kraz rejecting all they showed him. She was so engrossed at the thought of staying up all night to do the script that she had never really understood what she is writing about.

 

She glanced surreptitiously at Donghae who doesn’t have any idea what he made her realize. Her professor once told her: Write with your brain and think with your heart.

 

She looked at Editing Script as a menial job that doesn’t even require thinking. Now, she end up not thinking at all. How can she write something when she doesn’t even unders

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter