Chapter 24

All Bets Are Off
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Donghae shifted in his sleep and automatically stretched out his arm to reach out to Dara but only find nothing but an empty space on the bed next to him. He groggily opened one eye to confirm that and looked around the room. He rubbed his eyes awake and sat up slowly, his brows furrowed. First thing his mind had thought was, Was it a dream?. He sit there for a minute then looked at the bed where he thought he hugged Dara as he slept. The sheet was rumpled and there’s a dent of someone’s head on the pillow next to his. No, it couldn’t have been a dream, he decided as the remnants of sleep washed off him little by little. It was real. Dara was with him last night. Dara went to him and she had kissed him. He had kissed her. Quite incessantly so, even as he is slowly undoing her shirt, mindless with want and going crazy over her butterfly-like touches, her fingers softly the bare skin of his back. There’s no way he could’ve only dreamed of that. It was too intense to be even real.

 

And he was to top the proof of its realness. He never sleeps .

 

He picked up his boxer shorts thinking Dara might be outside, probably eating or… trying to get over her embrassment… or shock of having her first—. He smirked at that. Dara shocked? He couldn’t imagine Dara ever being shocked at anything.

 

He went out of his room hoping he would really see Dara stuffing her face even if a part of him knows she wouldn’t be. His house was empty. The glass door of his balcony is still open just as he had left it, showing a promise of a clear sky today. He went to his kitchen and his coffee maker then sat down on one of the stools. He couldn’t understand the worry that is springing up inside him. He doesn’t even know what he’s worried about. Maybe it was because there’s a strange look on Dara’s eyes when she looked at him last night. He would probably be relieved of worry  if he woke up and found her beside him but… He shook his head knowing he’s not making any sense even with himself.

 

He poured himself some coffee and took his phone to call Dara. He wanted to ask her if she’s okay… if he had hurt her last night… did she got home safe…. Why did she leave without waking him up… Why did she want to leave in the first place…. He heard the phone ring and all the questions immediately got jumbled in his mind,his heart started pounding. Look at that, he was getting nervous. To talk to a girl. Man, he had never felt this nervous even when he was in highschool asking any girls out on a date. What did Dara do to him?

 

As it was, his nervousness just got wasted as the phone kept ringing until it went to voicemail.He glanced at the clock and saw that it was close to 9 in the morning. Is she still sleeping? Or did she already went to work? Would it be alright for him to keep on calling or would it be right for him to give her time to come to terms on what happened to them? Is she embarassed at what happened? Will she talk to him this early?

 

He sighed heavily as he lifted his cup of coffee to drink as he stared at Dara’s name on his call list.

 

“Dara, even now you’re making me absolutely crazy,” he muttered to himself.

 

 

 

 

 

Dara looked up at the house in front of her remembering how it looked like with all the colorful lights that had encased its enormity last night. She had been too busy with her own thoughts that she hadn’t had the chance to fully appreciate the beauty of the house. It reminds her of the one they used to have when her dad was still alive. The one which she had taken advantage of not knowing it will be taken away from her. It’s not the sense that it’s similar because of its vastness. It was because that is the only house which she had felt she was home.

 

She took a deep breath, shaking off the sudden feeling of nostalgia in her as she pressed the doorbell. A security guard had opened the gate looking at her questioningly.

 

“Hi,” she said smiling. “I’m looking for Yoona?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“I’m sorry, I had a late night and haven’t had the chance to clean myself up,” Yoona said apologetically in her pink pajamas as she ushered Dara inside the house. She made Dara sit as she called for one of the servants to get her something to eat or drink.

 

Dara shook her head. “No, I’m okay.” She studied Yoona, looking so immaculately clean and neat. No one would’ve guessed she hadn’t cleaned herself up yet. If it had been her who pulled an all nighter, she would’ve looked like she had been dragged from hell even if she had already took a shower.

 

“Are you sure?” Yoona asked when she declined any offer of beverages.

 

She just nodded, wanting to get this over with as soon as possible because if she stalled for too long, she might not be able to do this anymore. One last thing to do. For Donghae. Her heart wrenched at the thought of him.

 

Last night… last night was the most… she couldn’t find an appropriate word to describe it. Magical was too mawkish. Touching… yeah they did a lot more than touch, pun intended. It was exquisite. That is the only thing that she could probably come up with to describe what happened between them.

 

Donghae had hugged her tight and she almost wished it was true. That they were real. That somewhere, maybe he could learn to love her too. But she had read too many books and watched too many movies to recognize that it’s the only action men makes everytime towards women they’ve been with at night. She had closed her eyes, trying to stop any threatening tear from falling off and pretended to sleep. When she had heard his soft snores and his arm slacking off its hold, she slowly extracted herself. She had gazed into his sleeping face before leaning in and planting a soft kiss on his forehead before leaving. She took the bus to her house and took a shower trying to make herself feel anesthesized or unfeeling. She can’t cry. She had promised herself no more today. She already spent it all last night and no more. She was firm on her resolve. Being with him, in his arms, being loved by him just for a night, even if it was brought on by her pathetic knowledge of seduction, would be worth all the hurt that she knew would hit her. What she had only asked is just one chance of knowing how it would feel like to be with him.

 

And she doesn’t regret it one bit. Now the only thing left for her to do is finish the job for him. Donghae doesn’t need to stay with her because of the contract or the deal they had or even be scared of any sort of retribution she would conjure. He doesn’t need to feel that he cheated off his friends if he agreed to cancel the deal early. She would be the one to do this. This is the only help she could give him. And this is the only way she could get on with her life. The only way she could get over him. Or try at least. She needs to start somewhere. And with that she gathered her things she needed before taking the bus to Yoona’s house.

 

“So what’ve you been up to?” Yoona asked smiling as she sat across from her. “Donghae said you’ve been really busy and that you couldn’t come to the party last night. Or even on his birthday. Is Siwon running you ragged?”

 

Dara just smiled tightly but made no answer.

 

“I know that… life hasn’t really been fair to you,” Yoona said softly. “And… I know you’re working for your family and I really admire that but… it isn’t fair to Donghae. Your drive in working is commendable but don’t let it run your life.”

 

Dara’s brows furrowed. Isn’t fair to Donghae? They think she was neglecting her relationship with Donghae because she’s too busy making money?

 

“Don’t get me wrong,” Yoona continued. “but it’s just that…I saw how Donghae was in Thailand when he keeps looking at his phone, jumping on it everytime it rang and looking so disappointed when it wasn’t you…” Yoona continued. “When he got back and he told us you were busy even on his birthday he looks so dejected…. I know it’s none of my business—“

 

“Do you love him?” Dara asked which caused Yoona to gawk at her.

 

“W-what?” Yoona asked surprised at her sudden question.

 

“Do you love him?” Dara repeated. Their gazes locked and for a moment, Dara thought she’s wrong and that Yoona really doesn’t have any special feelings for Donghae.  But she saw Yoona blink furiously and averted her gaze while swallowing and clearing .

 

“Dara,” Yoona said trying to laugh, looking so flustered, a blush creeping up on her neck. “Wha—why are you asking? I mean—“

 

“Can you just answer the question?” Dara said a little bit sharply.

 

“Of course I do,” Yoona answered still not quite meeting her eyes. “He’s my friend and—“

 

“No,” Dara said again. “Do you love him?” Because I need to know if he would be happy if I let him go.

 

Yoona’s eyes flew up to meet hers and she didn’t speak for a moment searching her face. When she did opened , Dara knew what she’s going to  say.

 

“I’m sorry,” Yoona said in a bare whisper looking as if she wanted to cry. She hung her head.

 

It amazes Dara how she understand that short answer she got. It’s probably a girl’s code of conversation or something that is ingrained on all female specie. But then again, it was really obvious from that answer anyway.

 

Yoona lifted a dainty finger on the edge of her eyes and wiped a tear before smiling at her again. “I never really thought that I would. I mean… it’s Donghae. In a way, he’s my best friend. When we were little he’s always seems to be  everywhere I go. Everybody says he likes me but… “ She shook her head. “In high school, I can only watch him go out with different girls every night. Watch him ask different girls out, flirt with them and… you know, i felt sorry for these girls because I’d rather be someone close to him rather than the girl he dates and he just discards the day after . I was contented to be his friend because I knew I would be there by his side no matter what and I’m the only girl that heis constant in his life. But then… I met you. And… I have never seen him so committed or… so serious about anyone. And that’s when I felt… envious I guess. Or jealous. I wanted to be you. I wanted to be the one who could make him laugh, I wanted to be the one who could make him annoyed, I wanted to be the one he would pounce on his phone for just to see if he even got a message, I wanted to be the one he’s taking home everynight and dropping off to work at every morning, one that he brought lunches or dinner for, one that he would introduce to his grandma… one that he could fight a psycho for…. Although  you did that one all by yourself.”

 

Dara smiled tightly, her heart dropping. Yoona was getting jealous of Donghae doing all the things she had ordered him to. And the main and the worst part is… Yoona is inlove with him. If she adds the fact that Donghae is inlove with her too, then it will equal to her as the main obstacle of this whole fairytale story to have a happy ending.

 

“I had wished… that I did what I can to make him fall inlove with me instead,” Yoona continued in a whisper. Then she laughed in a heartbreaking way while shaking her head. “Everytime I see you I feel like I could’ve been you. The one who Donghae would do all these things for.” She sniffled and smiled at her while waving her hand. “Don’t mind me. I’m just… a little emotional right now. I’m just….” She let out a heavy sigh. “I guess I’m just regretting that I was too late and I never realized what I got until… someone else already got him. I thought he was just my friend… I like being with him because he’s safe. Because I know he wouldn’t even take advantage of me but… now I wished that he did.” She chuckled softly  and looked solemnly at Dara. “ I have ever seen him like this. And believe me it’s epic. He loves you, so don’t throw it away.”

 

Dara took a deep breath before looking at Yoona straight in the eye. “No, he doesn’t.” She congratulated herself for saying that with a steady voice. She opened her bag and took out two crumpled piece of papers she had carelessly stuffed in earlier. “He’s a better actor than I thought.”

 

Yoona’s brow furrowed in confusion as she took the paper Dara had extended to her.

 

“What’s this?” Yoona asked.

 

“It’s a bet. And the deal I had set up with Donghae.” Her heart ached for telling it but she knew she’s doing the right thing. She watched as Yoona read it, her brows becoming even more furrowed.

 

“Donghae had betted with his friends about getting any girl to fall for him in two weeks,” Dara explained even if the paper contained all the information. “I was the unfortunate girl that was around, one that Donghae had agreed to play on...”

 

Yoona looked up at her holding the paper looking like she doesn’t understand a thing.

 

“You know why they did the bet in the first place?” Dara said, the memory of finding out about the bet hurting her more now. “Because he wanted to get the car. For you. I’m guessing you’re fond of collecting ancients cars?”

 

Yoona didn’t respond. Just kept looking at her like she was speaking an alien language.

 

“It was all on that paper anyway, what they have betted on,” Dara said. “And unfortunately for him, I found out about it. Oh, I played with him for a while. You know the time when I walked up to you pregnant? I think that was the time he finally got the courage to propose to you but I ruined it for him. That’s why he’s so mad at me.But of course, he’s got nothing when I was the one throwing a fit. I let him know I knew about the bet and I thought I would never see him again. But surprise! He took up the courage to show his face to me the next morning. Why? Because he doesn’t want to lose the bet. I figured you weren’t speaking to him and he thought the bet is the only thing that he could win you over… I mean the car… so he proposed an agreement. That’s the deal.” She nodded towards the other paper that was on Yoona’s lap. “He’s supposed to be my servant for three months. You know doing everything for me like, picking me up at work, dropping me off home, bringing me lunch and dinner. I can’t say he did it willingly. He probably wanted to kill me. And that meeting with his grandmother… I’m guessing he really wanted to murder me on the spot if it wouldn’t end him up in prison. So then, we’re stuck in pretending to lovey dovey.”

 

“But…I don’t understand…” Yoona said still looking confused.

 

“He did all that for you. So he could give you the car you wanted,”  Dara said. “He already have it by the way and he probably hasn’t given it to you yet because he was adamant in executing his plan on making you sympathetic when I break up with him.”

 

Dara continued to explain Donghae’s stupid plan to the confused look on Yoona’s face. The deal they had agreed on, and how Donghae wanted to carry out his plan of being the depressed, dumped, boyfriend so Yoona would be there for him.

 

“So…” Yoona said trying to understand it all after Dara was done explaining. “Your relationship with him… it’s not true?”

 

“No, not even a bit,” Dara answered. “And the things that you had been jealous of? You know like picking me up at work, bringing me food… I made him do that.”

 

Yoona let out a breath of disbelief. “I can’t believe…”

 

“I know. I can’t believe he would do all that just to get the car and get your… affections. You know,” Dara said. “I don’t blame Donghae. Everytime I see you, you look so collected and calm. You don’t look like… you don’t look like there’s a chance for Donghae to be with you other than a close friend. I guess that’s probably why he had to do drastic measures. No matter ho

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter