Chapter 13

All Bets Are Off
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Donghae and Dara met Yoona at the Pavillion at half past 1 in the afternoon. Siwon and Jaejoong was left in CSW but will follow in a minute and Dara felt a sudden guilt of deception when Yoona welcomed her like they have known each other for years.

 

“It’s so nice to meet you,” Yoona said hugging her and Dara felt awkward.

 

“You too,” Dara said smiling awkwardly then she remembered her Pregnant antic “And I’m sorry about the whole… pregnant thing. If you can see I wasn’t really…”

 

But Yoona just waved it off smiling. “I totally understand. Donghae already told me and I have to say… your brilliance is something to be commended. If I had known, I would’ve enjoyed watching Donghae squirm.” They sat down at the round table before Yoona continued. “You have to excuse me if i suddenly left that day. It’s just that...I’ve known Donghae for so long so… seeing he’s abandoning a pregnant woman… it’s just…. I couldn’t take the disappointment. He is someone i have thought so highly of so…” She chuckled and Dara’s smile twitched as she glanced at Donghae. So that’s why Donghae was adamant in keeping the bet and the deal between them. It would ruin his perfect image to the woman he is dreaming off and break whatever chances of his future with her.

 

“I don’t deserve whatever you think of me,” Donghae said smiling softly as he stared at Yoona.

 

Dara’s smile is close to being a grimace. For the love of all that’s holy, this conversation would definitely kill me. And seeing that sappy look on Donghae’s face, it’s enough to make her want to puke.

 

“Yeah, you do,” Yoona said. “See what you did? She wasn’t really pregnant but you stayed with her and made things right between the two of you. I think that’s the manliest action you ever did.”

 

Gag! Someone save me! Manliest action he ever did was to admit he is losing the bet and getting the guts to face her and make new arrangements with her.

 

They continued their sappy conversation, iaughing here and there leaving Dara to nibble on what’s left on the table. She could’ve been someone who only sat on their table for all the attention they were giving her. They were too caught up in reminiscing whatever mischief one caused that it made Dara feel like an outsider.

 

Who the hell is she kidding? She is an outsider. A girl who got caught in the guy’s mission to get the girl. She doesn’t see any point why Donghae had insisted to take her to lunch to meet Yoona. Supposedly to show Yoona they were together and that he is crazy for her so that when she breaks up with him, she would be there to comfort him. As was his plan.

 

What a total lame plan.

 

She took the garlic bread and stuffed it in , still scowling as she watched Donghae, who practically had his eyes shaped as hearts, as he watched Yoona talk to him. Fool. Where in the hell is that good acting he was bragging about? They haven’t started and he already failed. He was supposed to be the one who will look like a fool. But anyone who can see them will probably think they included a third wheel on their date.

 

She grabbed her mango shake in irritation and emptied it in one sip, then winced putting a hand on her forehead. Arrgh!! Brain freeze!

 

“You okay?” A chuckling voice said and they all looked up to see Jaejoong standing behind Dara with Siwon on his side.

 

“Hey guys,” Yoona greeted smiling broadly and kissed them both on the cheeks. Jaejoong slid to the chair on Dara’s left while Siwon sat on the chair next to Yoona. “I didn’t know you were here,” Yoona said to Jajeoong.

 

Jaejoong smiled back. “Taking care of business, as usual.”

 

“You never change,” Yoona said chuckling. “Are you still going to stay to celebrate Aunt Soong-An’s birthday?”

 

“I’d probably leave after that,” Jaejoong said.

 

Dara just watched the exchange until Yoona asked her, “What are you going to wear, Dara?”

 

Dara just looked at Yoona uncomprehending.“Uh…” What is she gonna wear to what?

 

Yoona seeing the puzzled look on Dara’s face turned to Donghae. “You didn’t tell her it’s your mother’s birthday on Sunday?”

 

Donghae looked sheepish. “It… uh… it didn’t…I mean...”

 

Dara just raised one of her eyebrows as Donghae looked like a kid caught doing something wrong as Yoona started to reprimand him as not even telling his girlfriend of a family’s event and that it is courtesy to ask the girl to be his date even if they were already going out. Siwon chipped in some comments enjoying the look of a cornered rat on Donghae’s face and his comments only fueled Yoona more.

 

Dara felt a soft jab on her side and she turned her head to look at Jaejoong. “You wanna try this?” He pointed at a picture in the menu.

 

“What the hell was that?” Dara asked as she looked at a picture of food who doesn’t look edible at all. Or appetizing.

 

“It’s Rocky Mountain Oysters.” He motioned for the waiter and ordered one grinning broadly and Dara narrowed her eyes at him.

 

“Have you eaten one of those before?”

 

“Once when I had visited Wyoming,” Jaejoong said.

 

“She’s gonna go with me, okay?” Donghae said and Dara turned back to the conversation Donghae is having with Yoona. “It’s already a given.”

 

Yoona looked at Dara. “If you ask me, I think that is still discourteous to a woman for a man to assume. What if she had a different plan? Right, Dara?”

 

“Uh…  what is?”  Dara asked not really sure what the conversation is about now.

 

“Donghae not asking you to be his date on his mother’s birthday on Sunday,” Siwon answered grinning.

 

Dara refrained herself from laughing out loud. Even those kind of thing is important to them? She kept her face straight as she looked at Yoona adapting a solemn expression. “Actually Donghae really didn’t want me to go with him on his mother’s birthday.” She could see Donghae suddenly giving her deathly glares. Then she grinned widely. “Because it’s our anniversay! The exact day when we first met in Leetuk High and he wanted to celebrate alone together.  And i can’t believe he knew the exact date when we first met!” She smiled sweetly at Donghae’s sudden murderous look.

 

“Really?” Yoona said looking at Donghae and he immediately smiled weakly.

 

“But I know how important a mother’s birthday is,” Dara continued. “So I told him that he should be with his mother, whom he dearly love, and I could just stay at home because, you know it’s a family event and I won’t feel comfortable barging in there but he insisted. He said he can’t live a day without me by his side. Isn’t that really sweet?” She could see Jaejoong at the corner of her eye putting a hand over his mouth to hide the grin that was threatening to show on his face. Siwon had his brows together probably confused at what is happening but amusement is all over his face. Yoona was listening raptly and Donghae almost had his eyes on slits looking at her.

 

“And you know what this sweet sweet sweet man did to convince me?” Dara continued. “He said he will give me a surprise after but that would be only if I go with him to his mother’s party. It was two days ago when i found out he is actually planning to invite everybody, his family, his friends, everyone, to go to some private resort or something so he can announce to all the people he knows how much he loves me.” She gave Donghae an exaggerated loving look while he had his mouth set in a grim line. She smiled at Yoona. “So you see, he didn’t really ask me. He forced me. He didn’t want me to be there because he wanted to get me alone. But circumstances doesn’t permit him to go with his intial plan so he just altered that special event of ours into a more more special one and I really think that it is the most, sweetest thing ever.”

 

Donghae closed his eyes wanting to sink in total embarrassment after Dara is finished with her lie. Who the does that? God, even if it didn’t really happen he wanted to hide at how completely mawkish it is.

 

But Yoona looked at him in surprise. “I never thought you were capable of that. That is so sweet.”

 

Donghae’s sat up straight and gave her another weak smile. “Well… that’s me.”

 

Dara can’t help but roll her eyes before she can stop herself. Thankfully, they are both engrossed in looking at each other that they didn’t notice.

 

“Hey, try this,” Jaejoong suddenly handing her a piece of what he ordered. She didn’t realize his food has already been served. She frowned at a breaded piece and took a bite, chewing surreptitiously.

 

“Mmm, it actually taste good,” Dara told Jaejoong putting the whole piece in .

 

“It’s uh… fried of a bull,” Jaejoong said after a moment.

 

Dara already chewed it to pieces in before hearing what it is and her gag reflex made her spray the food, turning her head to her right. Straight to Donghae’s face as he was turning his head about to ask her a question. He froze as all grinded food from Dara’s mouth fell on his face.

 

“Hooooly ,” Dara cursed glaring at Jaejoong who was laughing quietly beside her, his eyes already watering from silent laughter. She took a table napkin to wipe and her tongue. Oh my god, she just ate an animal’s balls! She grabbed a glass of water on the table, not caring who it belongs to and downed it in one gulp. Siwon is also laughing while Yoona looked like she doesn’t know whether to laugh at Donghae or help him with his face.

 

Donghae opened his eyes to glare at Dara who was wiping and sticking out her tongue in distaste at what she just ate. What irritated him more is that Dara looked surprised when she saw him, covered in what she had eaten, like only noticing it for the first time.

 

“Oh,” Dara said then reached for another glass of water. “Sorry.” She couldn’t even fake her apology with a little bit of sincerity. He felt his nostrils flaring as he stood up, grabbed a napkin on the table and wiped his face before saying murderously, “I’m just going to the bathroom.”

 

He strode in the bathroom while wiping his face, wanting to strangle Dara. He opened the faucet in full blast and washed his face, trying to wash his irritation too then wiped his face dry with the paper towel and looked at his blotched face. Great. He looked ing great. And it’s all thanks to Dara. Why are the heavens punishing him? He only wanted to spend a day with the woman he loved. He only wanted to talk to her. Just one day! Is that too much to ask? He threw the paper towel in the trash bin and went out. His steps slowed when he saw Dara and Jaejoong already standing up, Dara holding her bag, looking like they’re ready to leave.

 

“What’s going on?” Donghae asked when he reached the table..

 

“I only have an hour lunch,” Dara said.

 

“I’m going to drive her there,” Jaejoong said. “I had some things to take care of.”

 

Donghae just stood there, his brows furrowed as he looked at Jaejoong’s serene smile. “I’ll take Dara back in CSW,” he suddenly decided.

 

Jaejoong raised his brows. “You’re gonna leave Yoona here?”

 

“Oh no, it’s okay,” Yoona said. “I’ll be leaving too anyway.”

 

But Donghae narrowed his eyes at Jaejoong suddenly feeling insulted. Where is his cousin’s morals? Jaejoong told him point blank he likes Dara and wanting to have her. To him. Dara’s boyfriend. If their relationship is real, he would be really offended.

 

As it was, he really is but he shook that off only focusing on the fact that his cousin is interfering with his plans. Is he goading him? “Siwon is still catching up with Yoona,” he said taking Dara’s arm and pulling her to him.

 

Dara was surprised and looked at Donghae’s stiff face. He probably can’t wait until he gets her alone to give her hell for everything she did today.

 

Well, bring it on.

 

“Okay,” Jaejoong relented after a moment then he smiled at Dara. “I’ll see you in CSW.”

 

Dara made a face at him, still not forgiving him for making her eat that awful food. “I’ll see you there. I’ll get back at you, somehow..”

 

Jaejoong just chuckled before nodding to Siwon and Yoona then exited off the restaurant. Donghae was glowering when they followed.

 

I’ll get back at you, somehow? What the hell are they talking about? Some kind of secret they shared? Another revenge that Dara is working on? A vision of Dara odering Jaejoong around like what she is doing to him popped in his mind. Another servant to bend to her will? Is that the reason why Jaejoong is always picking her up from home and driving her back?

 

He slammed his car door shut, frowning ferociously. He should be celebrating. He wouldn’t be the only one being monopolized by Dara. Jaejoong would make his life easier if his conclusion is true. But he’s always used to being the only one in on a secret arrangement with Dara. Now that there’s another one, he doesn’t feel like he wanted to share a master.  He doesn’t like it. He doesn’t like it one bit.

 

Dara glanced at Donghae at the corner of her eye waiting for him to explode as he seems to be glaring through the windshield, driving in deadly silence. She raised one her eyebrows and just looked out the window and let him seethe. He must’ve been so livid at what she had said and done that he was pressing on the gas pedal a little too hard, making his car zoom on the street. Thankfully, there wasn’t much traffic.

 

Well, he could fume on his side for all she cares. She wasn’t the one getting getting a high blood pressure.

 

“You and Jaejoong are pretty close,” Donghae said breaking the silence and Dara looked at him.

 

“Huh?” Okay, that wasn’t what she was expecting. She was expecting a word fight about what she had said to Yoona.

 

“Are you… in an arrangement with him?” Donghae asked staring straight ahead.

 

Dara’s brows furrowed in question. “What the hell are you talking about?”

 

Donghae glanced at her. “He’s always picking you up, driving you home…. Did you made an arrangement with him too?”

 

Dara is completely baffled at what he is talking about. Then it finally dawned on her and she scoffed. “You think that just because a guy is kind enough to drive me home that I made an arrangement with him like I did to you?” She can’t believe this. “Excuse me but he did that out of his own free will. He was kind enough to drive me home because someone decided to stand me up.”

 

“I didn’t stood you up!” Donghae said.

 

“If I say you did, then you did,” Dara simply said. “Just because you had some ulterior motive on everything doesn’t mean everyone has. I can’t even see how you two can be related. He’s a gentleman and you’re a jerk.” She turned her head back to look out the window feeling irritated.

 

Donghae clenched his jaw as he stared straight ahead.

 

“Do you like him?” Donghae asked stiffly after a minute of silence.

 

“What’s not to like?” Dara snapped without hesitation and Donghae whi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter