Chapter 19

All Bets Are Off
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Dara? Dara! Ya!” Donghae looked at his phone and dialled Dara’s number again ignoring the baffled looks of his staff in the conference room. Dammit. It went to voicemail. A sudden feeling of wariness close to being a panic is closing over him as he recalled Dara’s words.  Donghae? I’m sorry, i don’t know if i’m overreacting but i feel uneasy. Rick told me about all these miniature toys... avengers something and i bought it and now i’m at his hotel room and i can’t get the door open and i’m really panicking right now and i don’t – and her voice was cut off.

 

“!” He cursed again as he tried to call Dara unsuccessufully much to his staff’s surprise. Only one name that Dara uttered can get him go to rage. Or panic. Rick. That in’ . He stood up while trying to call Siwon to ask if he knows where Dara is.

 

“Resechedule this meeting,” he just told the staff before hurriedly going out of the conference room and punching the down button of the elevator while waiting for Siwon to pick up. A sense of foreboding is settling over him. Siwon answered as he get on the elevator.

 

“Do you know where Dara is?”

 

Siwon sighed on the other line. “Not this again—“

 

“She said something about Rick.”

 

That stopped Siwon. “Rick? What’s she gotta do with him?”

 

“She met him at the party. I saw his eyes lit up when he was watching Dara because he knew she was there with me.”

 

“Okay, you need to calm down,” Siwon said hearing the underlying fury on Donghae’s voice. “I’ll call Kraz. Don’t do anything rash.”

 

Donghae hung up and immediately went to his car. He doesn’t know where he’s going but he felt like he needs to do something. Dara said something about a hotel. She could’ve just said the name of the hotel and Rick’s name and he would know. Why does she got to explain first! Then he realized that the reason he was also close to a panic is because of the tone on Dara’s voice. It was scared. Dara never get scared in all his life he had known her. He called his secretary and instructed her to call every damn hotel in the country to know if a Rick Mason is a guest. His phone rang after he hung up. It was Siwon.

 

“Kraz said she was alredy overbreak for about a 30 minutes now,” Siwon said.

 

Donghae cursed out loud. “Son of a… He’s got her. That mother er has her.” He knew it in his gut. Rick had wanted to get back at him for what happened with Mischa. The freshman girl. He was the one who had pushed the lawsuit and put him behind bars. He supported the family as they go through the case. She was an innocent girl. Fresh out of highschool. Barely 18. She had been calling him when Rick broke into their house. And he was too late when he listened to Mischa’s message. He had been too late. He slammed the steering wheel remembering what Mischa had looked like when they found her. And he doesn’t want to even think that Dara would end the same way.

 

“Calm down Donghae,” Siwon said. “I’ll call the guys for help.”
 

“Tell your secretary to call hotels. He’s in some hotel  somewhere.” 

 

“Let me conference the guys, they could help,” Siwon said and out him on hold. After a minute, all the guys were in on the conversation.

 

“Rick Mason? He’s here?”

 

“He’s got Dara?”

 

“That can’t be good.”

 

“Just call the in’ police!” Donghae yelled. “Goddamit, I swear I’m gonna kill him if he even…” He let out a shaky breath not even wanthing to say it. Rick better not be touching even a strand of hair on Dara’s head. He swear he’s going to really kill him.

 

“You need to calm down Donghae. Where are you?” Yesung said.

 

“I’m on the freeway,” Donghae answered.

 

“Where the hell are you going?” Eunhyuk asked.

 

“I don’t know!” Donghae said. “Just…just call hotels okay. Let me know which if you find out.” He hit the end button and called his secretary again.

 

“Doris, Any luck?” He muttered another curse when Doris answered in the negative. “Well, keep trying.”  He the left , just kept on driving. 30 minutes has already passed. 30 minutes! Something could have happened in 30 in’ minutes. A honk made him swerve to the right and he breathed out. Okay, if he continued to be like this, he wouldn’t be of any help if he ends up in the hospital. Like he said, Dara is a fighter. She can fight Rick. For 30 minutes she can fight Rick. He knows she can. She’s a stong girl. But what can a 100 pound girl do to a 130 pound man? His phone rang and he immediately answered Yesung ignoring all worst images his mind is conjuring.

 

“He’s at The Crown Hotel,” Yesung said.

 

Good thing he’s got a connection with a governor’s son. He violently made a u-turn causing cars to honk angrily.

 

“Donghae, wait for us! We’re also on our way there,” Yesung said. “I already called the police.”

 

“Good,” he only said trying to pass every slow cars on his path.

 

“Donghae,” Yesung warned. “Don’t do anything stupid.”

 

Donghae just closed the call knowing Yesung is probably muttering idiot at him but he doesn’t care. He pressed the gas pedal and zooomed on where The Crown hotel is.

 

 

 

 

 

“Tsk tsk tsk,” Rick said shaking his head. “I really thought this would be difficult but you made it so easy.” He pouted. “You took all the fun out of this whole game.”

 

Dara tried to discard the sudden fear shaking her as she bravely met Rick’s evil eyes. “Well, I got to give it you. You acted spectacularly. I could almost give you an award. Say… the best villain of the year?”

 

Rick just let out a chuckle. A single  breath of humor out of his mouth.

 

“Where’s Zena?” She asked afraid to know if he would suddenly tell her he already killed her or something.

 

“That I just paid to act like my girlfriend? She’s off with your money and some of mine. I almost felt sorry to see her go. It’s so hard to find someone whom i found a kindred spirit. One who can lie much better than i do.”

 

Dara felt more stupid as she also trusted that . “Then what you told me about the freshman girl? That was a lie?”

 

“Mmmm… yes it was a lie but it’s also true.”  He laughed at Dara’s expression. “Lie because I wasn’t really sorry my family hated me and true because I really did everything they accused me of.” He guffawed. “I’ve been following you since the moment you walked into that convenience store. It’s not that hard to find out where you work. Just a couple of calls and boom! I got you. But it’s just too bad you took out all the fun in this chasing game. I would’ve thought this would take time. But i guess i’ll have to thank you because i didn’t have to resechedule my flight back to LA. You are too easy to manipulate.”

 

Dara in a breath while piercing him a glare, her brain already working on how to incapacitate him. “And the reason why you led me here is because….?” She can’t help the sarcasm out of her system. She knew it will be bad in the end if she managed to piss him off but at least, in line of witty comments, she wouldn’t lose. She gave herself a mental slap. Her life is probably in danger and she was thinking about witty comebacks? She was obviously convoluted.

 

Rick, unaware of what’s going through her mind, spread out his arms. “Isn’t it obvious? You became the target just because you are with him. Donghae.”

 

“Donghae?”

 

“Your boyfriend put me in prison, exiled me in LA, put me in rehab.” A look of terror was on his face. “It was horrible.” Then his face contorted in fury. “And I promised myself I’ll get back at him once I get out.” Then his fury turned into a slow evil smile. “I stayed clean for that purpose. Motivated for that vengeance. I almost lost my mind in that rehab…”

 

“I think it was too late for that,” Dara muttered as she watched his face turn from terror to fury to terror again.

 

But Rick seems to be under his very own bubble. He keeps nuttering under his breath. “But I managed to stay on. That freshman fooled me! I was so nice to her! I wanted to be with her! But she says she’s inlove with someone else. And i knew who it was. I saw her eyes light up whenever she sees him. I saw her! But Donghae? He’s just playing her. Always saying she’s his younger sister. Just because her family is a friend. But you can see how he always lead her on. I was the one who’s always there for her. I was the one who’s always around. But do you know what she did?!”

 

“Hide from you?” Dara mocked.

 

“She still rejected me! Still inlove with him! And i’ve had enough waiting. I only tried to make her realize i was the one for her. But she locked the doors telling me she’ll call the police. I only wanted to show her how much i love her but she made me so angry!”

 

“Wow, i had no idea why,” Dara said, still sarcastic.

 

“I broke through her window and she was suddenly shouting when all i wanted is to talk to her!” He continued his face reflecting the rage he had felt then.

 

“Right. Which girl in her right mind would feel scared when a guy who’s been stalking you broke into your house,”  Dara continued mocking him unable to stop herself but it seems like he wasn’t listening anyway.

 

“She made me hurt her! She made me do what i did! I had been apologizing to her, asking for her forgiveness when Donghae suddenly came barging in with the police, cuffing me and . His stupid brother was hitting me... And i saw Donghae go to her! Touched her! And i kept telling them he was the one who hurt Mischa! Not me! Him! And then they put me in prison...” He turned his glazy look at Dara, his teeth gritted.“He took Mischa from me, now i’m going to take you from him so he would know how it feels. He’ll regret poking his head into my business. He’ll regret putting me in rehab.” Then he pointed at her. “HE’LL REGRET THAT HE DIDN’T KILL ME LIKE WHAT HE SAID!”

 

Dara cringed as she kept her back on the door. He looks so deranged. He’s different from the usual delinquents she used to fight with in high school. Just a couple of guys and girls who’s only bent to fight just to have the crown for the students to fear. But this? He’s the guy she always sees on TV who doesn’t even feel guilt for killing a couple of people. She wanted to smack her head for being the total fool she was. How come she didn’t see that he was demented? A delusional mental person! She had been talking to a delusional mental person whose mind is probably damaged by drugs. He’s more dangerous than she thought.

 

“Now, I’m gonna give him a little surprise on his birthday,” Rick continued. “You. I’m going to hurt you like what he had done to Mischa. By the time he will find out about what I did to you, I’m already way gone. Donghae is a dumb piece of .”

 

Dara scoffed when she knew she should be keeping quiet but she couldn’t stand the way his filthy mouth is tainting Donghae’s name. She was the only person who can call him that! “You really think I didn’t call him when you were inside that room doing drugs and smoking your weeds?”

 

Rick paused with his red rimmed eyes on her but Dara still continued, “He’s already on his way here.” She only hoped that he would be able to figure it out and would be here but she doesn’t know how much of what she told him he had heard before her phone died. She just wished she could be strong enough to ward him off or render him unconscious for her to get the key.

 

“You… you called him?” A sudden look of apprehension showed on his face.

 

“You know… for an evil guy who keeps on planning evil things, you’re not very smart.” Dara knew she’s goading him even further but she knew it’s a lot easier to fight someone who’s anger is getting the best of him and would be unfocused. Thank god for sir Jason’s boxing lessons. In addition to that, he was high on drugs. He’s unsteady on his feet.

 

Rick pierced her with that evil glare, his chest heaving at the way she’s insulting him. “You’re a dead ,” he said then slowly advanced on her.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Donghae cursed as he turned again to the left as he keeps getting lost. Where in the hell is that stupid hotel?! He his GPS when he finally realized he was going the wrong way. He slammed on the gas and followed where the electronic voice is directing. The hotel is far off the town which only made Donghae get scared, praying he could send a telepathic message to Dara to keep holding on until he reached there. And once he did, Rick better’d be ready because he’s going to skin him alive, that piece of !

 

He jumped out of his car as soon as he reached the hotel, his car on the entrance. The security guard waved angrily at him, saying something like he can’t park there but he ignored it as he rushed to the hall and to the receptionist desk.

 

“Rick Mason. Which room is he?” He demanded.

 

The man behind the desk looked alarmed at the look on Donghae’s face. “Good... afternoon sir.May i have your name please?”

 

“Just tell me which in’  room he is!”

 

“Sir, you need to calm down,” the receptionist said. “I could ring Mr. Mason for you.”

 

Donghae reached over and grabbed the man by the collar. “Tell me which room he is!”

 

The security guard who waved at him earlier ran to the counter and held up a hand like he was getting ready should Donghae decided to be violent. “Sir, please unhand him and step away from the counter.”

 

“Sir, please calm yourself down,” the receptionist tried again.

 

“No,” Donghae said tightening his hold on the receptionist’s collar. “You’re going to tell me what room he is right now.”

 

A lot of people are now huddling on the side as Donghae was being apprehended by security, who already called for back up.

 

“Donghae!” A rushing Yesung entered the hotel followed by Kibum, Siwon, and Sungmin. The security guard, who probably knew Yesung stepped back as he said something to them. “Donghae, let him go,” Yesung told him as he reached his side.

 

Donghae let his collar go which made the receptionist staggered back. He arranged his collar while trying not to glare at Donghae.

 

“Aish,” Yesung said shaking his head at Donghae before turning to the indignant receptionist. “Good morning. I’m Kim Yesung. It’s of utmost importance that we know what room Rick Mason is.”

 

“Mr. Kim Yesung, it’s procedure for us to—“ the receptionist tried again.

 

“The police is already on its way,” Yesung interrupted. “It’s better for you to tell us what room he is before things could get really ugly here.”

 

The receptionist noting the grim look of the guys in front of him and probably because he knew Yesung was the governor’s son, nodded hesitantly and typed in his computer before telling them that Rick was in room 503. Donghae immediately sprinted while Kibum called out to him. “Donghae! Wait for the police!”

 

“That guy, really,”  Siwon said shaking his head.

 

“What’s happening?” Kyuhyun said who just arrived with Eunhyuk. “Where’s Donghae?”

 

“He’s off being a fool,” Sungmin said as they watched Donghae ran to the stairwell as the elevator is taking way too slow.

 

“We’d better follow before the police arrested him instead of Rick,” Yesung said then told the bewildered receptionist. “Tell the police where the room is.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dara ducked as Rick reached for her, made a fist with both her hands and slammed it at the back oh his head. He barely grunted and Dara realized he was probably so high on drugs he couldn’t feel a thing. But she would still try to injure him. Make him unconscious. With all the things boxing lessons had taught her, the onlly thing she could remember at that moment is attack. She couldn’t rack her brain for anything more than that.

 

Dara had been trying to deflect his attacks but she is already getting winded. From what she could tell, Rick is just playing around with her, taunting her. But when she slammed her fist at the back of his head, Rick turned with fury in his eyes and she knew things are about to go serious from there. She kicked him with all her might, targeting his stomach, when he tried to lunge for her, getting a fisful of her shirt. She vaguely heard it ripping. He staggered back, coughing a little and Dara took advantage of that to land a blow in his face. It hurt her fist but she kept on, imagining his face to be a sandbag. She felt all the bones in her fist broke but she ignored the pain. She kept on hitting and hitting until Rick caught her hand, smirking at her while his lip is bleeding.

 

“You hit like a ,” Rick said before giving her a back hand.

 

Dara felt her face on fire as tried to stay up on her feet. She felt her lip bleeding as well as she took a step back as Rick advanced on her, not the least bit winded.

 

“I was wrong,” Rick said. “You’re making this more fun. And breaking you would be more satisfying.”

 

“Not when i had something to say about it,” Dara said as she pulled her foot and kick him between his thighs. His yowl made her grin in satisfaction and she stepped over the bed to go to the other side, pulled out the lamp and slammed it on his head. Rick was on his knees, his head is already bleeding as well.

 

“This is fun, right?” Dara taunted. Then she kicked him in the stomach. Incapacitate him. Stupid jerk! She kept on kicking him when he caught her foot, pulled it, and she lost her balance and she hit the floor. Being on her back is not a good thing. Definitely not a good thing. Rick loomed over her, immobilizing her as he pinned her down. His face was bleeding and he wiped it off with his hand before he made a fist and punched her. She tried to avoid the blow but it caught the side of her face. It was a pain she had never experienced before and she tried not lose consciousness. She knew she was strong. But he was stronger.

 

“Yes, this is fun,” Rick said spitting out the blood in his mouth and hit her again. Dara felt her lip bust open but she used her leg to twist it on Rick’s neck and used all her strength to put him on a leg lock. He sputtered as his hands flailed.

 

“This is only thing you can do to a girl, you coward!” Dara said as she pulled her legs tighter around his neck.

 

Rick caught a piece of shard from the lamp she had hit him with and stabbed her leg. Dara cried in pain and that let Rick off her hold. She felt a blow to her neck and below her jaw as he hit her with the lamp’s steel base. She grunted in pain, her eyes shut but still trying to hold on to her consciousness. Rick kicked her in the stomach while cursing at her and she curled up so she wouldn’t be able to feel the full blow on her stomach.

 

“Dumb !” Rick roared. When Rick paused to catch his breath, Dara took that time to kick him, her legs stretching out. It hit him in the thighs and he staggered back. Dara rolled over on her front and tried to get up, She could feel her body ‘s strength is already failing. A little bit more. Just hold on.She tried to tell herself. She caught a hold of the base lamp, the one which Rich had hit her with, and swung it as hard as she could. It made a satisfying crunch sound as it hit his face and he fell back, his head hitting the floor making a thudding sound. Dara held on to the lamp’s base breathing heavily and watched him warily. If he moves, she swear to god, she’s gonna hit him again. When she realized that he’s already unconscious, her hand already gave way and dropped the lamp. She was on her knees trying to catch her breath, still holding on to her strength. A little bit more. Just a little bit more. She picked up the lamp base again, swallowed hard before crawling to him, gingerly groping his pockets for the key. Her hands are already shaking but she tried to keep her mind focused. She finally found a card at the back pocket and knew that it was the electronic key. She slid away from him before standing up shakily. Clutching the key in her hand, she walked unsteadily towards the door, her shoulder leaned on the wall for support as her knees is already giving out. Just a little bit more.

 

“This is fun,” a voice lazily said and Dara whirled around. Rick was back on his feet, the side of his eyes all bruised and bleeding. His jaw is probably broken as he smirked unevenly and his head is dripping blood.

 

. Her energy’s already depleted but she still tried to lift the lamp base to use as a weapon again but Rick had been too fast. He grabbed the end and pulled it from her. She tried to run but he grabbed a hold of her hair and twisted it. I should’ve cut it off. She had thought before Rick slammed her so hard agains

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter