Chapter 21

All Bets Are Off
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dara threw Donghae a wry look when she saw where he had drove to after his boxing lessons. Donghae was grinning like a kid and waggled his eyebrows at her when he saw her looking at him dryly.

 

“Really?” Dara said. “An amusement park?” She glanced at the Welcome To SeoulLand printed at the front of the entrance from the car window.

 

“It’s the perfect place to have fun while you’re sitting. You didn’t have to do much,” Donghae reasoned while grinning as he found a parking spot. He had already changed into a t-shirt he brought with him and Dara had to stare at the window the whole time he was changing. This guy is so confident with his body she wanted to smack him to stop parading it in front of her. It’s making her feel much more self conscious especially now that she admitted that she found him really attractive. Gawd, her thoughts!! Her thoughts are gearing towards a dangerous and an embarassing direction.

 

Donghae stepped out of the car after parking it on an available space and helped her get out. The pain in her leg is now faint and easy to ignre but it still feels uncomfortable when she pressed on her weight for walking.

 

She sighed as she waited for Donghae to buy the tickets. She could remembered going here as her first date with him before she found out about the bet. What are the odds this is where he would take her again. Does this place held some kind of memorable experience for him or something? She rolled her eyes at that thought. Donghae jogged over to her holding the tickets and they went inside, with Dara lightly limping.

 

Any thoughts of the pain in her leg all flew out of her consciousness when they tried the World Cup ride. Yes, she didn’t have to do much. Except screaming to kill Donghae when it’s all over. Her stomach felt funny after the ride and she felt she’s going to puke. Her eyes felt like it’s going in different directions and her good leg is wobbling when they stepped down. Donghae looked a little pale but he managed to grin and sheepishly say, “Maybe we need to go with the safe rides.”

 

After trying the bumper car, Donghae clasped her hands and steered her to the direction of an ice cream shop and bought two cones. They sat on a nearby bench and just watched the passers by. Families with their kids, lovers… Dara just watched them before it a sense of deja-vu hit her. Isn’t this happened before?

 

“Hey,” she heard Donghae called beside her and she ly to get flicked in the forehead.

 

She glared at him while rubbing her forehead. “Ow!”

 

Donghae just laughed as if seeing her contorted face is amusing him. What a total . 

 

“You know, I feel like we are rewinding history here,” Dara said after Donghae’s laughter subsided.

 

“Yeah, we are,” Donghae said, the laughter still in his eyes. “Kind of making up the errors on the first time we went out.”

 

Dara just stared at Donghae with her brows furrowed. She didn’t want to admit it but she felt touched that Donghae wanted to replay what happened the first time they went on their supposed first date before the whole Bet and Deal fiasco. It doesn’t matter to her what his reasons are. The mere fact that he was trying to make it up is enough for her to feel encased in an undefinable surge of emotions that she doesn’t have any idea how to react to. She smirked instead holding her ice cream. “Then you do know what’s gonna happen next, right?”

 

“Yeah, I do,” Donghae said and without hesitation, his ice cream went straight to her face and she stood up growling at him. “You idiot!” She said wiping it off her face while he laughed. She took a step toward him and he jumped to get away from her, shaking his head.

 

“Get back here!” Dara said curing her limping leg. If it’s functioning well, she could definitely outrun him. Ugh, the ice cream is already getting sticky on her face. “That’s not fair!”

 

“Ohhh revenge is sweet,” Donghae said already 10 steps away from her.

 

She tried to quicken her pace but with every step she made make three of Donghae’s.  And besides, she looked stupid trying to catch up with a guy who’s both legs are working while she have to rely on her good leg to get by. She decided the only way for her to get back is to get him near her. She scrunched her face in pain, leaning over and touching her injured leg. “Ow!”

 

Donghae just laughed while watching her. Did she really think he’s gonna fall for that? “Do you want me to call medics?”

 

But Dara didn’t respond and only doubled over, her hair going to her face before dragging her injured leg on a nearby bench, biting her lip and her face looking like she’s in pain. She didn’t say anything and her hands were balled into fists on her thigh as she straightened out her injured leg carefully. Her hair was down on both sides and covering her face. Donghae’s smile was replaced by concern as he strode toward her. Damn, maybe he took it too far. The wound has not fully healed yet and she had been putting on her weight too much. She should’ve been sitting down instead of running around. He sat next to her. “I’m sorry, do you want me to call some medics?” He asked seriously this time and he removed the hair covering her face. Only to find a grinning Dara. Before he could think, she already hit him with the dollop of ice cream from her cone.

 

“Oohhh revenge is sweet,” Dara mocked him with a big smirk on her face.

 

Donghae just rolled his tongue inside his cheek as he realized he had been tricked. He just let out a big sigh admitting that he would probably not win on the battle of wits and devious plans with her as an adversary.

 

Dara clicked her tongue as she wiped the stickyness off her face and neck. “Aish! Why you gotta be so childish! I didn’t brought anything to change into.”

 

Donghae just smiled. “I know where to go. C’mon!” He took her by the hand and gently lifted her up from the bench.

 

“Where’re we going?” She asked which Donghae just answered with a smile.

 

The answer to her question is the Flume Ride wherein they passed waterfalls and basically just getting wet on the ride. Effective because it washed off the stickiness of the ice cream. Bad idea because now they’re both drenched.

 

“I could’ve just used the bathroom,” Dara complained as they exited the ride.

 

“Where’s the fun in that?” Donghae said.

 

“Ugh, now the bandage is wet too,” Dara muttered touching the bandage on her leg.

 

“As long as it’s not bleeding, you’ll live,” Donghae said which only made Dara grimace at him.

 

“You want to get dry?” Donghae suddenly asked and Dara had to look at him and deciding she doesn’t like the look on his face.

 

“No!” She said but Donghae took her by the hand again amidst her protests, her legs only giving out to where Donghae was leading them.

 

They looked up at the big twisted coaster and Dara had to stifle a gasp. Yeah, they’ll be dry here. If it didn’t managed to kill them first. She looked at Donghae who swallowed hard before he gave her another sheepish grin. “Maybe we should just dry ourselves in the car.”

 

“Good idea,” Dara said and this time turned around and led Donghae out of the amusement park.

 

Dara slid on the passenger seat, leaving the door open while Donghae took some towels he had left in the trunk from the day they celebrated his grandparents’ anniversary. Dara just leaned on the seat  and her gaze strayed on the compartment where she remembered seeing the bet the first time. If she opened it, would she still see another one? Just to explain why Donghae is acting this way? She knew she won’t get surprised. But she would as hell be glad because she would have an answer why Donghae is acting like this. He’s making her confused. His actions is only driving her to think he likes her too. Somehow. And she know damn well that wouldn’t probably ever happen.

 

Donghae went to the driver’s seat and noticed her staring pensively at his glove compartment. He slid in his seat and Dara shifted in her seat.

 

“There’s nothing in there if you think I made another bet with someone,” Donghae said with a lopsided smile while handing her a beach towel.

 

Dara just looked at him with narrowed eyes as she tried to dry her hair with the towel. “You’d better not if you know what’s good for you.”

 

Donghae lifted the top off his car and the blast of wind feels so cold on Dara’s skin.

 

“Do you want the top down?” Donghae asked.

 

“No, I think we’ll be dry this way,” Dara said and just used the towel as a blanket of some sort, covering the top of her body and sliding her arms inside it.

 

Donghae closed the door on his side and started the car. Dara closed the door on her while asking, “Where are we going?”

 

“Somewhere where we could dry off,” Donghae said mysteriously and Dara just rolled her eyes.

 

“Ugh, I hate it when you’re acting so mysterious. It’s so creepy,” Dara said scowling which only made Donghae chuckle.

 

That somewhere was the beach, as it turns out and Dara had to sigh in resignation as they stopped near a big tree to offer them some shade. “Are you really going to take us everywhere we have already been to?” It was the beach he had taken her and the same beach where she had took him when he’s having some emotional episode with his father.

 

“What’s wrong with that?” Donghae said with furrowed brows. “And besides, this is the place where I was supposed to sacrifice you to strenghten my power, right?”

 

Oh, so she guessed he was listening to her that night. That was embarassing.  “I was only trying to be funny to cheer you up,” she said drily.

 

“Awww, that’s sweet,” Donghae said.

 

Dara rolled her eyes. “Yeah, sweet is my middle name.” Then she added before she can stop , “Apparently I should’ve just let Yoona call you instead of spouting all that to make you feel better.” She turned her head on the other side and closed her eyes in annoyance after she realized bitter she sounds. Why in the hell does she have to say that?! Stupid, stupid, stupid.

 

Donghae was silent for a minute. “Are you… jealous?”

 

Dara let out a breath of disbelief in answer to his ridiculous question but kept shut.

 

Donghae felt a grin spreading on his face and felt pleased at the mere fact that Dara is jealous. Before he can say anything else, Dara’s phone rang and she answered it with a frown on her face.

 

“Yeah?” She answered and her face smoothened as she recognized the caller. “Yeah. No I’m fine. Thank you. Yes… I think. No, you didn’t have to do that, just what’s you and the men in your family? Yeah, Donghae already did that.”

 

Donghae just looked at her wondering who she was talking to. The men in his family?

 

“Well, I’m strong enough to beat the out of him. No, I’m with Donghae right now. Ugh, another off work. Lay off Kim Jaejoong. Technnically you’re not my boss.”

 

The mention of his cousin’s name calling Dara brought out the dark cloud over Donghae’s head. Jaejoong is calling Dara? Have they been talking on the phone since they met? He adjusted his seat loudly and glared at the ocean in front of them trying to ignore Dara’s conversation with Jaejoong. It was supposed to be a good day but thanks to his cousin, it’s completely ruining his mood.

 

“Okay, the line’s breaking up,” Dara said making a static sound with . “Bye!” She rolled her eyes when she hit the end button. Jaejoong told her he will be flying in Seoul again to help with the case against Rick Mason. It’s already over and done with. Donghae already put him behind bars and she wanted to forget about it, geez. Jaejoong meant well but honestly he shouldn’t waste his time to defend a mere employee.

 

“You gave Jaejoong your phone number?” Donghae said with a dangerous tone.

 

“I have no idea where he got it,” Dara said absentmindedy as she put the phone back in her bag.

 

“Does he call you often?”

 

“Not much.”

 

“Not much? So he calls you every now and then?”

 

Dara looked at Donghae’s stormy look and raised her brows perplexed at where this coversation is or even what the point is. So what if Jaejoong calls her? He’s her boss, or her boss from another perspective. “More like when there’s something he needs me to do.”

 

“Is there something he needs you to do right now?” Donghae testily said.

 

“No.”

 

“Then why did he call you?”

 

Dara getting tired of his interrogation fired back. “Why don’t you ask him? Do I look like your cousin?”  She moved her eyes upward as if to say Heavens help her aand proceeded in just spreading the towel over her shoulders again.

 

Donghae let out a breath and tried to ask again in a more calm manner. “What did he talk to you about then?”

 

“He found about Rick, okay, and just asked me how I was because he wanted to push the case for his… deportation or something.”

 

“I’ve already done that,” Donghae said knowing he’s sounding so petulant but he can’t help it.

 

“And I told him that,” Dara said. “And I swear to god, if you aked one more question, I’m gonna drive this car over to the ocean.”

 

Donghae just let out a breath and just kept silent while Dara just glared at him at the corner of her eye. She didn’t know why he’s pushing this anyway. What’s wrong if Jaejoong calls her? Then an unbidden thought crossed her mind with a vague recollection of what Jaejoong told her so many days ago. Maybe he’s jealous was what Jaejoong told her one night and she pushed that off as Donghae being jealous of nice people. Not because of her. But maybe…

 

“Do you have a problem with that?” Dara said a smirk appearing on her face, already planning on ways to mock him as she repeated excatly what he asked her earlier. “Are you jealous?”

 

“Yeah, I am,” Donghae said unhesitatingly as he looked at her and Dara smile fell at his sudden admission. She was expecting him to deny it like she did. “And I have a very big problem with it,” Donghae continued. Her smirk fell off and she just looked at him with slightly open. Is she going to take him seriously?  Or is this another one of their play actings to get the other off guard? This is probably the reason why she always veered off liking someone. It muddles her wittiness and rebuttals, clouding off her mind with unecessary impression of sincerity. And making her heart leap out of her chest at a simple answer with that look on his face. That same look he had when they were on the hut.

 

She opted to take it as a joke trying to discard the notion of Donghae even slightly serious on his claim. She forced out a laugh averting her gaze from his face towards the imaginary lint off the towel she was draped in. “I guess you’re gonna be jealous for a long time because this face is gonna be the yearned by all mankind.”

 

Donghae let out a breath in exasperation. She thinks he was joking. Yes, he’s jealous. How can he not be when she keeps talking to Jaejoong when she’s practically pushing him off to do the plan with Yoona? When all he wanted to do is to keep her by his side and his side only? His hand twitched to reach out for her thinking of kissing her senseless until he got his point across when his phone suddenly rang before he could move. He let out a breath again to calm his racing heart before picking up his phone. IT was his grandma.

 

“Hi Grandma,” he said. “Yeah, I’m with Dara.” His smile fell. “How did… how did you know?” He closed his eye in irritation when his grandma explained that she overheard Chaerin talking to Jaejoong about Rick and how he had hurt Dara. Now she’s worried and was asking how Dara is and felt like it was her fault because she had indulged Rick. “No, grandma it wasn’t your fault. It was nobody’s fault. Rick is a goner and he could never be sane again so just…” He sighed as his grandmother sniffled. He’s going to klll Chaerin. How many times did he warned Chaerin not to talk about it inside grandma’s house? “Grandma, please don’t cry.” She answered by saying she wanted to see Dara. “Okay, I’ll take her there. Stop crying, please.” He hit the end button and sighed again.

 

“What happened?” Dara asked noting the grievous look on Donghae’s face.

 

He started the ignition and started to drive out of the beach. “Grandma found out about Rick. Now she’s blaming herself.”

 

Dara nodded in understanding. “You didn’t tell me you’re a family of self-blamers.”

 

Donghae chuckled in spite of himself. “Welcome to my world.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Oh, look at you.” The matriarch held her face and carefully turned it right and left to study the damage his grandson had inflicted on her. Aside from her swollen jaw, and purplish color around one of her eyes, everything is intact.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter