Chapter 27

All Bets Are Off
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She’s all right. Everything with her is all right. She started her job with The Scope as a filing clerk. It’s pretty much an easy job and her boss is very nice. Aside from the three girls sitting side by side with each other who seems to be adapting the role of Mean Girls, everything is perfect with her at her new job. It doesn’t differ much with what she had been doing in CSW in keeping files and documents organized, transferring entries to the computer database for easier referencing, copying, scanning, and correctly putting the labels on each paper documents. She was also the Go To person for anyone looking for some files for a specific dates or specific events. She’s pretty much had gotten busier within 5 days of working for The Scope after the previous filing clerk had showed her the ropes the first day. Apart from a tiny affliction that she had encountered, she is perfect for the job. Her shoulder had bothered her again to the point when the pain is acutely unbearable. She went to the doctor and had it examined. The swelling looks worse than before and the purplish color had gotten more pronounced making it look like it was a recent injury. The doctor reprimanded her when he found out she removed the strap in less than 3 days and put her in one again, telling her firmly to remove it after 3 weeks or she wouldn’t be able to use the muscles on her right arm ever again. Seeing as she was right handed, she cannot have her right disabled so she listened to the doctor like a good patient. Jaejoong admonished her more than the doctor when he found out about it.

 

The strap didn’t interfere much with her work but it did slow her down. She also became one of the first people to know about what’s happening with the society. Some are idle gossip but juicier at the most. Guess it was one of the perks of working for a magazine centered in delivering news about what’s happening with the more known people. It centered mostly with the politicians visiting shelters or contributing to the greater good but there were also some dedicated to the societal elite. She lost count on how many articles she had seen and filed with Choi Siwon’s name and Kim Yesung. There were also a number about Kim Jaejoong . She even gawked when she saw an article about her gang. Hah! She had no idea they would actually make an impact with the society by just strutting around in a runway. But hey, being famous models in the US probably convey inspiration to those who wanted to be just like them. Yeah, be a consistent delinquent once you stepped in Kindergarten.

 

There were also some about Lee Donghae but she opted not to read them and just kept on filing it. She is starting to love her job but the tricky part of it is she tends to hear about things she prefers not to hear. Or know. There were some articles passed on for review to get approved to be printed one day about the CEO of Fishy Ideas going to Barcelona with an alleged girlfriend to get engaged. As it was, their manager discarded that article and told the writer not to dwell on gossip since they are not a gossip magazine and what they print are facts, not heresay. The writer gave her the papers and asked her to keep it in case their manager changed their mind. Dara then placed it on the file cabinet labeled Drafts without so much as a glance on what it says lest she started ripping each pages off.

 

She also befriended a shy girl finishing her internship with The Scope, Gong Minzy. She was way too young to be on par with her way of thinking but they got along so well that Dara thinks her mind may not be as old as her body is.

 

“I’m going to go out buy something for lunch,” Minzy said putting her hands on her cubicle to look at her. “Anything you want me to buy for you?”

 

Dara shook her head. “No, I’m good. My housemate, Suzy, she makes killer sandwiches and I’ve got about three of them packed in my bag. Are you sure you don’t want one?” She had offered it to Minzy earlier which the latter declined.

 

“I’m on an organic diet,” Minzy said in resignation as she had already told Dara that countless times.

 

“Right,” Dara said grinning. “Then go ahead and be organic. I’m just gonna eat the sandwiches. Oh! Can you buy me coffee?” She took her bag and gave Minzy some cash for her coffee.

 

Almost everyone in the floor had gone out for lunch leaving Dara in her cubicle but she barely noticed. She was too busy trying to encode an article that was overlooked by the previous clerk. She jumped when Chaerin’s head suddenly appeared above her cubicle and tapping it with her long manicured nails.

 

“What the !” Dara cursed. “Stop doing that!”

 

Chaerin grinned at her, not the least bit apologetic. “You know, you should lay off coffee for a while.”

 

Dara rolled her eyes before remembering that Chaerin is not authorized to go inside the floor. She’s an outsider and getting her in would require a company personel to accompany her. “What are you doing here? How did you get in?”Oh . She would be the one who would get in trouble if Chaerin managed to evade security. Dara stood up and looked at Chaerin in horror. “Tell me you have an authorization to come here.”

 

“I have every authority to come here,” Chaerin said lazily. “And the least you could do is to pretend you were excited to see me. I mean, it’s been more than a week that I haven’t you seen at all and I just thought I would come visit you. Jae oppa just mentioned you’re recuperating from a shoulder injury.” She nodded to Dara’s strapped shoulders.

 

“Well… thank you for visiting me but… what authority are you talking about?”

 

Chaerin looked at her like she was an idiot. “Grandmother is the owner of The Scope.”

 

That floored Dara. “What?” She never remembered reading anything about The Scope being owned by the Lee Matriarch.

 

“Well… major stockholder, that is,” Chaerin explained. “I don’t know much about the history but my great grandfather founded this. Back then, it was just a small printing company. It was passed on to my grandmother but without all the papers and documents so the name retains my great grandfather’s name and when grandpa married her, they ventured into publishiing and it kinda go from there. Grandma doesn’t want the name changed so….” She shrugged then looked at Dara. “The history of The Scope wasn’t exactly a secret.”

 

Dara slumped down in her seat feeling disappointed. “I never read anything about your grandma owning this. It says it’s being handled by Mr. Yoo Jaesuk.”

 

“Ah yeah,” Chaerin said. “He’s one of the people that my grandmother trusts immensely. She’s friends with his father.”

 

Dara didn’t have to question it as he really do seem to be the kind of boss everyone wants to have. When she had met him in one of the staff meeting, he seems to be really nice and well loved by his staff but that wasn’t why she’s feeling so… betrayed. “Jaejoong swore to me he won’t do anything on my application with this company.” She had been proud when she got the job, thinking they probably see her determination and would think she deserves it. Now, she probably had an idea why she got accepted even if she doesn’t have any resume to list out her stellar performances during the course of her carreer.

 

Cherin looked puzzled. “Huh? What do you mean?”

 

“I got accepted in The Scope because he called his grandma about it, didn’t he?” Dara said testily.

 

Chaerin just raised one of her perfectly arched eyebrows. “No. Grandma saw your application. All resumes go through her scrutiny and she saw yours. She called Song Jihyo to call you.”

 

Dara sighed at the revelation. Great. She’s still in the web to be tangled on Donghae’s family. And here she thought she’s now starting her first step to get away from him.

 

“Honestly Dara, how do you think the news of Donghae suddenly being an accidental father got stopped from circulating?” Chaerin continued studying her nails.

 

“Huh?”

 

Chaerin chuckled. “You’re pregnant antic there at La Pierre? Man, that cracked me up! I can’t believe grandma kept that from me and only told me last week.”

 

“What?” Now Dara feels like sinking on the floor. “She… she knew about that?”

 

“There’s nothing grandma doesn’t know,” Chaerin said. “She pulled some strings to keep that from appearing on the news. And when she met you at my birthday, she started to like you because you seem to be not like those other girls Donghae oppa is constantly seen with. Let’s just say that, you remind her of herself when she was younger.” Then Chaerin leaned over on her cubicle. “She also knows there’s something going on with you and Donghae oppa,she doesn’t know what that is yet, but she’s digging. So you better tell me now before grandma finds it on her own. She tends to erupt more when she finds the answer a little to her liking to the questions herself.”

 

Dara didn’t answer and just stared at the monitor of her screen. How can she even tell her? How can she even tell them?

 

“Donghae oppa didn’t even let us know he’s going to Barcelona. We only found out about it when Jaejoong oppa told us. He’s not answering his phone either and grandma is worried,” Chaerin said suddenly concerned at the idea of her grandma being worried as well as worrying about Donghae’s state. “And most surprising is, he’s there with Yoona. I mean,there’s nothing wrong with Yoona but we had thought that he’s there with you so… we were surprised.” She looked at Dara. “Did you guys broke up?”

 

Dara didn’t meet Chaerin’s eye and returned into arranging the scattered papers on her desk. “Yeah, we broke up.” She figured that would be the best answer to give her.

 

“Why?”

 

Dara sighed. Of course,Chaerin would want to know why. “Let’s just say that… we’re too different.” She shrugged as if it wasn’t a big deal. “And besides, he’s already happy with Yoona. At least he already found the courage to be honest with her.” She grinned though it came out lopsided.

 

Chaerin pouted with a look of sympathy in her face. “Do you love him?”

 

Dara’s hand stilled. She wanted to laugh it off and just be dismissive about it but she found herself nodding. “I do,” she responded in a bare-whisper. Suzy was right. There’s nothing wrong with being honest with your feelings. But one thing she was wrong at was that it didn’t make her feel free. She feels too trapped with her own misery. Her job at The Scope keeps her busy but each night, she lay awake staring at the ceiling, sleep eluding her as her thoughts run free. The Scope was her reprieve so she never missed a day getting to it.

 

Chaerin for once was at a loss for words. Of course she had known Yoona for as long as she had lived and have always known Donghae to be inlove with her but never had the courage to ask her. She even about it. So when she met Dara, she felt glad because her cousin would now have a chance to actually be with someone other than mooning over Yoona who seems to be caught up in her life that she doesn’t notice how Donghae feels about her. Now she doesn’t know if she would be happy for Donghae that he’s finally with the woman he had dreamed of for so long or be sorry that Dara wasn’t it. For as short as she had known Dara, she really considered her as one of her close friends. She admired the way she doesn’t seem to care much about how she looks or even give a damn about what would other people think of her unrefined gestures. She’s real. A real person. In a world of superficiality, that seems to be a rare find. Of course she’s not saying Yoona was superficial. She just seems to lack the character to actually make her cousin lose control of his own self. Like he did with Dara at one time she had watched them together. But of course, she can’t choose between the two women who’s really close to her.

 

She gave Dara a wide smile instead. “Do you want to go out later tonight? Just as two. You know bonding. Or I could call one of my friends to go with us. You’ll love her because she’s as crazy as you. Her name’s Park Bom and she just arrived from the US so, I’m kinda showing her around too. C’mon!”

 

Dara looked at Chaerin’s imploring gaze and returned her smile. Well, nothing wrong with spending time with her. She did missed Chaerin’s unrelenting tact. “Okay. Can I also invite someone along?”

 

“Sure. Is it a guy?”

 

She chuckled. “No, she’s one of the interns. I figured you could get her out of her shell with your undeniable pushy, shameless, self. Her’s name’s Gong Minzy.”

 

“Okay,” Chaerin agreed. “Then it’s four of us against the world. See you tonight. I’ll pick you guys up at 7.” She started to stride towards the glass door.

 

“We’re not off until 8!” Dara called after her but Chaerin just waved her hand, dismissing her off before disappearing leaving Dara shaking her head before sitting in her chair again. She had always thought it would be better for her to cut off anyone who reminds her of Donghae. But with Chaerin and Jaejoong? How can she cut off two of the nicest people she had met?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Five days in Barcelona wasn’t too bad. In fact, it wasn’t bad at all. The place was so exquisite that it feels like they were walking on a dream country. Yoona was more than glad to be here, living it. As a woman who was used to travelling and being in almost all places, she could list Barcelona as one of the most beatiful countries she had ever been in. And one of the most romantic.

 

But she had never thought it would be the place where she could feel the most anguish over watching Donghae. She opened the door of his hotel room and saw him leaning over the balcony, the curtains billowing from the wind, and even from his back, she could see he’s already far away.

 

He seems to be there with her but he’s always preoccupied with his own bubble, always spacing out, his eyes distant as his forehead knotted. She had to repeat what she’s is saying 4 times before he would snap out of it and tune to her. Sure, they go around the place but it made her feel like she was  trekking through the beauty of Barcelona alone. Donghae just kept walking beside her, only answering when she asked, smiling at whatever she says, but he never really go into a conversation with her. There were moments when she wanted to be angry at him and tell ask him why did he invite her to go to Barcelona if he is wishing to be somewhere instead but she always back pedaled whenever she looks at Donghae and knew exactly why he’s like that, guilt tripping over her. She had an inkling in the airport but was afraid to be definite. She doesn’t want to admit it but now she doesn’t have any choice.

 

She walked slowly over to him, stepping out of the terrace. “Donghae?” She called out to him softly.

 

Donghae turned in surprise and straightened up. “Yoona. I didn’t hear you come in.”

 

Yoona just smiled tightly. “I know.”

 

They stood there in silence before Yoona swallowed. “Do you want to go back?”

 

Dnghae looked surprised at her question. “Go back? To Seoul?”

 

“No. Do you want to go back? To Dara.”

 

He’s even more surprised with that. “Wh….” He only managed to breathed out.

 

Yoona chuckled amidst the pain she was suddenly feeling, knowing the answer with that simple breath from Donghae. “You know, I’ve always been thankful in thinking that… I wasn’t too late to be with you. But then I realized that… no, I wasn’t too late. I was that late.” She cleared , her eyes already b with tears. “You love her.”

 

Donghae didn’t answer and Yoona turned her head to the side to wipe her eyes to stop the tears from falling. Donghae couldn’t move. He couldn’t even open his mouth to deny it because the first moment they stepped into Barcelona, all he could think of was Dara. Trying to decipher what she wanted to say at the airport. And what more she will say if Yoona hadn’t come to interrupt her. Not to mention that hollow feeling he felt when they left feels like it has grown rapidly without ever having the chance to be whole again.

 

Yoona turned to him again, her eyes red. “I think I already knew. I just… chose to ignore the signs and…. I just thought there’s still a chance for me. That maybe… that maybe there’s still a chance for you to love me again like the way you used to and… we could both be happy. But it turns out I’m only making you miserable.”

 

Donghae stepped forward not wanting to see her cry but doesn’t want to lie to her either. “Yoona….” But she stepped back shaking her head.

 

“I want to thank you because, at least, you tried,” Yoona continued. “When Dara came in the airport, I knew you were close into… following her and leaving me but… you still chose me. Even if you knew what it’s going to bring you, you still chose not to hurt me. And I appreciate that.” She smiled painfully. “I love you Donghae, but I don’t want to be… the Volturi in your Twilight or the Voldemort in your Harry Potter.” She laughed while tears are falling on her cheeks as she remembered where she got that reference. Donghae just looked at her obviously not getting it and probably thinking she’s going mental. She breathed in before continuing. “Go back to her, Donghae. I don’t know what happened between the two of you but I have a strong feeling Dara wouldn’t have come to me to tell me about your arrangements if she doesn’t love you. I know it doesn’t make sense to you but it makes perfect sense to me. I would’ve done the same thing if I thought I was making you unhappy.” Then she gave a short laugh. “Actually, I am already doing it.” She gazed earnestly in Donghae’s eyes. “I’m letting you go because beside me in not where you want to be.”

 

“Yoona—“

 

“Go to her,” Yoona said as if Donghae didn’t speak. “Don’t let what happened to us happens to you two. With all these… assuming and thinking it’s not what the other wants… it’s just gonna get messier until you finally realized you are already too late.”

 

Donghae just looked intently at her not knowing what to say.

 

“I’m sorry for getting in between the two of you,” Yoona said sniffling and wiping the tears from her face but managed to smile. “If I had only known, I would’ve smacked you both. Don’t waste time here Donghae. Barcelona is beautiful but you need to be with the person you wanted to spend it with to appreciate its beauty. And you can’t do it with me.”

 

After a moment of staring at Yoona’s face, Donghae realized she was right. He had been acting like a total zombie walking around with her and she deserves better attention than that. And he can’t give it to her when his mind is consumed with longing to see and be with someone else. “I’m sorry, Yoona,” he whispered regretfully.

 

“Don’t be,” Yoona said. “Don’t apologize for being honest.” She smiled. “Go and sweep her off her feet.”

 

Donghae returned her smile, reached out and pulled her to him, giving her a tight hug, appreciating the unconditional love and friendship that he had got from her through all these years. Yoona bit her lip to keep from crying more as she looked up at the sky. Donghae pulled away gripping her shoulders gently. “I can call the airlines and book a ticket back to Korea….” His voice trailed off when Yoona her head again and looked at him woefully.

 

“I’m not going back to Korea,” Yoona said. “I’m flying over to Paris. I already booked a ticket and I’ll be flying tonight.”

 

He was stunned that she already made plans and Yoona chuckled again before stepping back away from him, shrugging his hold on her shoulders. “You don’t need me there, Donghae. And… I need some time away from you.”

 

Donghae c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter