Chapter 1

All Bets Are Off
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Too toot too toot too toot. The constant sound is penetrating through Dara’s ears and entering her dreamless sleep jarring her awake. Her hand automatically reached out and d on the bedside table to turn off the alarm clock so she could return back to sleeping. She slept late last night and she couldn’t remember why she her alarm clock so early anyway. She was already falling asleep again when she heard another sound. She irritably reached out to her alarm clock to turn it off again but the sound insists. She opened one eye while she grabbed her alarm clock hitting the off button to make it stop before she realized the sound wasn’t actually coming from it. She looked around and saw her phone ringing. She sleepily answered it.

 

“Yeah?” She could feel her consciousness going back to slumber again.

 

“Yah! Dara, where are you?” It was Suzy. The one who share the apartment with her.

 

Dara had her mind answering but only grunted.

 

“You’re going to be late. It’s already 7:45 and we need that script,” Suzy said.

 

It took a moment before it registered in Dara’s mind. Her eyes snapped open and instantly went to the digital clock. Holy ! She jumped up on the bed frantically.

 

“Gotta get ready. Call you later,” Dara said before dropping the phone on the bed and sprinting to the bathroom to take a shower. Ah damn! She’s gonna get fried. Or worst, fired.

 

Dara probably made it in the Guiness Book Of World Record after she finished showering and picking on any clothes to wear in her closet for a total of 20 minutes. This is the fastest she had moved in her entire life. She put her hair up in a sloppy ponytail, not bothering to blow dry it, picking on the stack of folders in her messy desk and running out of the house while mentally calculating the minutes it would take if she took the bus. She opted to ride a taxi instead even though it would cost her almost two days worth of meals. Better that than actually losing a job again and costing her a month of no income while she look for another job.

 

“Can’t you go a little faster?” Dara asked the driver and leaned heavily on the seat while letting out her breath. Suzy probably didn’t get home last night which explains why she’s now running late. Her human alarm clock decided to party last night with her boyfriend and left her with an unreliable machine. She opened her folder to arrange the script all in sequence. Today’s going to get hectic. Her boss specifically told her to come early for the Spotting, calculation of the script’s duration, as today was the day they had one of the biggest artist in the music industry as a guest in one of their TV shows. It had taken almost 2 months to actually get a schedule from their company and she won’t get surprised if her boss turned apoplectic if she got late even for a minute. She threw a couple of bills in the front seat thanking the driver and got out hurriedly once they have reached CSW, the TV Network she’s currently employed at as a scriptwriter. In training. She half walk and half ran towards the entrance, one hand clutching the folder to her chest and the other hand groping her bag for her ID. She was about to clip her ID on her shirt when she crashed into someone. She lost her balance and she fell backward. “!” she muttered but her eyes were on the papers she had carelessly put on the folder yet carefully arranged in sequence scattered on the folder as he landed on her bum. Now she’s gong to do it all over again. She bit her tongue from cursing and she got on her knees to hastily pick it up.

 

“Sorry, miss, are you okay?” The guy she crashed in squatted to help her retrieve the scattered papers.

 

“Yes, yes. I’m okay,” she said dismissively snatching the papers off the guy’s hand then she suddenly grabbed his hand to ogle at his digital watch. 8:29.

 

“Ah !” She was unable to stop from uttering an expletive out loud as she quickly took all the papers and unthinkingly stack them in the folder standing up then sprinted off to where the elevator is, pressing the button several times before deciding that the elevator is taking way too long. her heel and ran to the stairwell to get to the 5th floor all the while cursing the alarm clock.

 

 

 

 

Donghae watched as the girl flit from the elevator to the stairwell, hearing her endless curses at something with an alarm. He rubbed his chin trying to think where he had seen this girl before. She looks so familiar but he can’t place her. He was still thinking when Siwon nudged him.

 

“I thought you already went in the café,” he said starting to walk. Donghae walked beside him.

 

“I just thought I saw someone… familiar. Just thinking where I’ve seen her.” He shrugged dismissing the mystery of the girl.

 

The café was almost empty except for a group of guys sitting near the glass window laughing loudly. They strode over to them.

 

“Hey!” Kibum greeted as he saw Donghae and Siwon approach. Eunhyuk, Yesung, Kyuhyun and Sungmin were already there continuing their banters. One of the waiters walked over to them and asked if they could get them anything.

 

“Black coffee,” Siwon said while Donghae shoook his head not really wanting anything.

 

Sungmin snorted when the waiter went to the bar. “Since when do you drink Black Coffee?”

 

“Since I became the Chairman,” Siwon said. “It goes with the job.”

 

Siwon is the CEO and the owner of CSW TV, one of the biggest TV Network in the country. And also the building where the café is located.

 

“I can relate to that,” Kibum supplied as he had just taken over his family’s freight company.

 

“You have it easy guys,” Eunhyuk chipped in. “Try getting sleep for less than 2 hours everyday.” Getting sleep in between his schedule is currently a challenge for him.

 

“We are all busy now,” Yesung said. “I can’t believe we’re living in the same country and this is the first time we actually had a free time to meet.”

 

Donghae chuckled taking a slice off Eunhyuk’s pancake.

 

It’s true. Their schedule was so hectic that they could only know what’s happening with the other either on TV or on the newspaper. Today is the only time they had managed to meet after graduating college. And that was 4 years ago. They were what you call the group of friends who were together since they were in diapers. Their parents had something to do with each other, either by meeting in the nursery when they were babies or working together on a project. They attended the same grade school forming a bond that only mischievous boys can create, getting together in trouble, their principal calling their parents to discuss their behaviour and a possible detention. But of course, their families belong to the round of wealthy known people that a couple of donations and sponsorship in the school let the boys off easy. Real easy.

 

Siwon had just taken over the CEO position of CSW last year when his father retired. Kibum had taken over their family’s Freight Company since college. Sungmin currently has three businesses which included a restaurant with branches in different parts in and outside of the country, a martial arts school currently located in the heart of the city, and starting a coffee shop. Eunhyuk is one of the most popular celebrity in the country going from one drama to another and partaking in music nowadays. Kyuhyun came from a family of lawyers and is now one. Yesung is the son of the governor but ventured in manufacturing electronics and Donghae is the owner and the CEO of the biggest advertising agency in the country and currently working with other business overseas, spreading globally.

 

But of course, they didn’t got their wealth just because they already came from a wealthy family. They also worked hard to retain that disposition. After the countless mischief in grade school, possibly turning their principal’s hair grey, they managed to be a little serious in high school knowing that taking over their family’s business is now an inevitable quest. Siwon and Kyuhyun were the first who had decided to turn the library into one of their classrooms, doing research on assignments, projects, book reports. They were the group’s brain. Donghae, Eunhyuk, Kibum, Yesung and Sungmin were more free spirited, a little worried about the responsibility they would face in the future but decided to take the fun out of everything while it lasts. They charmed all the girls in school, running for the student body just for the heck of it and seeing the faces of their contenders seething at the unfairness of it all when they won by a massive count.

 

“Ah!” Donghae slapped the table now remembering. They all looked at him and he laughed. “I now remember her.”He looked at Siwon. “You know the girl I thought looked familiar? Sandara Park. The girl in high school? The one who hated us?” He chuckled remembering her antics. “Is she working here?” He asked Siwon.

 

“Ah. Sandara Park. Yes, she’s working here,” Siwon answered remembering the girl who almost begged him to hire her because she needed to support her family, apologizing over and over for bringing trouble to him in high school and had promised to do her job and he won’t hear any complaints from her.

 

“Sandara Park!” Eunhyuk said finally remembering. “The one who rallied on the front of the school gate when you won the school’s presidency?”

 

“No, when we got the student body to vote for us,” Donghae said still chuckling. He remembered the girl who was holding a big cardboard outside of the school gates telling the students not to be taken by a pretty face and should vote for someone who deserves to lead the school, ending with her almost bullying every student entering the school’s premises.

 

“I don’t know why she’s so mad at us. It’s not like we’re castigatng her for skipping classes and getting into fights every other day,” Donghae said.

 

“Her cousin is also running for the president,” Siwon said. “You remember that tall, skinny nerd guy? Always in the library too. I honestly think he fits the position as the school’s president a lot better than you did Donghae.”

 

“It’s not my fault they voted for me,” Donghae said. “I only did it for fun. Besides, who’s going to vote for him? All the girls love me and I look good in the school photos that will be taken down in history.” He laughed. “I can’t believe she’s working here. Isn’t her father the owner of that Real Estate agency?”

 

“He died after our graduation, I think. The agency was already bankrupt and they lost all their properties. Her dad left them with a lot of debt. I heard it on the news before. I felt sorry for her when she applied for a job but I think she’s pretty okay,” Siwon said. “She’s not the same, rebellious Sandara Park in highschool.”

 

“Did you know Yoona’s here?” Kyuhyun asked Donghae suddenly cutting off the conversation after checking his phone and seeing a text message from Yoona.

 

They all looked at Donghae and he tried to sound nonchalant. “Yeah, I do.” Yoona was one of their good friends since they were kids. They all grew up together. And Yoona was the girl Donghae couldn’t seem to make a move on. Everytime she’s near with that pretty smile, Donghae couldn’t think. All the smooth words he knew to make the girl fall for him retract. Maybe it was also the fact that Yoona treated him like the way he treated the rest of the guys. Like friends. He hated that word. Friendship between a girl and a guy shouldn’t exist.

 

“And you haven’t run off to ask her out yet? It’s been like, what? 10 years?” Eunhyuk said grinning. They all knew how he felt about Yoona. They knew that he likes her since high school. They had told him to ask her out but he just shrugged them off, giving the impression that he really didn’t care that much but the truth is, they didn’t know how scared he was to confess to her. And be rejected. She’s like someone he couldn’t seem to reach. Someone who already has everything, he’s got nothing more to give. A girl he could only get in his dreams. When it comes to Yoona, all his confidence evaporates.

 

“We all know he’s way too chicken,” Yesung said.

 

“Please,” Donghae said rolling his eyes eventhough his heart is going overdrive as they are so close to the truth. “Yoona asked me to see her. We went to a car exhibit yesterday.” One of the things he loved about Yoona is that she is so feminine yet she knew about cars a lot more than any of the guys he knew. It’s pretty extravagant but Yoona loves collecting cars. He remembered their conversation as they walked through the exhibit, Yoona eyeing the long row of vintage cars.

 

“What do you do with all those cars you’re buying?” Donghae asked when they were standing at a red, really old car.

 

“Oh, they were all parked in the garage of my house,” Yoona answered a little distractedly.

 

“And what would you do with them?” Donghae asked as Yoona started to walk to look at the next one. She turned to him with a big smile on her face and Donghae forgot his question.

 

“You think I’m crazy do you?” She tittered. “There’s just something about buying cars which is… probably extinct in our generation and will be in the future… that draws me. It’s like keeping history. It’s probably a psychological affliction but… if I got the money, why not indulge, right?” She chuckled then froze when she caught sight of a black, rusty car. She strode over to it, eyeing it with longing as she drank it all in its rusty glory.

 

“This is the only car I can’t seem to find. A 1928 Rolls Royce Phantom. I knew Kibum had managed to find one last year… Isn’t it beautiful?”

 

Donghae was baffled. He eyed the car, looking at it and remembering the cars in that Titanic movie. Only much older. He could see the yearning in Yoona’s eye as she looked at it one last time before walking on to the next one.

 

Kyuhyun laughed. “Maybe you should wish to be a car in your next life. Yoona would love you without questions asked.”

 

“Wow, I really can’t get over the fact that Lee Donghae, self-certified ladies’ man, still go mute whenever Yoona’s around. What happened to all the girls love me?” Sungmin said imitating Donghae’s voice.

 

“Hey, I can get her if I put my mind to it. I’m telling you, there is no one I can’t get if I started on her.” Donghae responded a little arrogantly. “Yoona is just someone you can’t play with. She’s the type that you asked out because she’s the woman you wanted your parents to meet.”

 

The guys fell silent and then they burst out laughing at the same time. Donghae scowled. Can’t they see he was serious?

 

“Ah damn, my stomach hurt,” Eunhyuk said in between laughter.

 

Even Siwon was cracking his head off. “You’ve changed Donghae. I have never thought I would hear that from you.”

 

The rest of the guys were all too busy laughing to even get a word out to mock him.

 

“You’ve become a girl,” Kyuhyun managed to draw out. “I would have never dreamt of seeing the day Lee Donghae losing his touch.”

 

“Is that the reason why we haven’t seen you with a girl in the society pages for the last 2 years?” Kibum  asked after his laughter subsided.

 

“That’s because I’m not letting them see me with a girl,” Donghae retorted but it seems like they weren’t listening to him.

 

“This should go down in history,” Yesung guffawed.

 

Eunhyuk patted his shoulder shaking his head. “Don’t worry man. We welcome you to the Normal Guys Club.”

 

It was just an easy banter but Donghae felt his pride is being wounded. He shrugged off Eunhyuk’s shoulder. “I don’t want to be in your Normal Ugly Guys Club. You want to see how I can make a girl fall for me in a matter of days?”

 

“We want to see how you can make Yoona fall for you in a matter of days,” Siwon said.

 

Donghae shook his head. Yes, his pride will go down if the girl in question would be Yoona seeing as he can’t even ask her to go out on an official date because that would attract questions and he doesn’t think he have enough confidence to tell her he’s been inlove with her since h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter