it's called the English language

What Not to Write {fanfiction tips}

it's called the English language —

Sadly, English is one of the most complex languages to learn. Most would think it would be an Asian dialect of some sort because of its many characters, symbols, and whatnot but in truth it can be one of the easier languages to try to learn and become fluent in.

 

English in many ways is hard. First off, there is American English (spoken in the United States of America), Canadian English (spoken in Canada), old English (which is self-exclamatory), and so on. As time progresses and we mature, surprisingly the language we use does not. We have gotten lazy over the years, choosing to use slang and many forms of abbreviations to substitute writing things out all the way.

  

dic·tion·ar·y/ˈdikSHəˌnerē/

Noun: 1. A book that lists the words of a language in alphabetical order and gives their meaning

 

 

That above, is what you would see if you looked up the word ‘dictionary’ in the Merriam Webster Dictionary. If you know and understand what this word is, congrats because that means you haven’t lived under a rock all your life. Here’s a news flash! Spell check doesn’t always pick up incorrect words! Do you know why? Because we’re still talking about the English language here!

 

Let’s go their later. Right now I have to fix the whole in my shirt.

 

Once again, what you should be looking at is above this current text you are reading. Read it a couple times and try to tell me what is wrong with that sentence. There are two things you can fix. Can you find them? Even if English of any kind is not your first language, you have to know how to write and speak properly. If you don’t, then it doesn’t hurt those who can speak it properly but it will hold you back from venturing on and learning something worthwhile.

 

The correct text should’ve looked a little something like this …

 

Let’s go there later. Right now I have to fix the hole in my shirt.

 

When using different variations of some English words, that’s where it gets complicated. When you use the word, their, you should—no, have to— be referring to something not some place. The second part is pretty easy to explain as well. Using the word whole refers to something like this (i.e. I looked around the whole room.) as opposed to (i.e. The holein her earlobe was so big because of her earring was huge.), now tell me you see a difference.

 

From now on I’ll be referring to commonly mistaken words as CMW so I don’t have to type it out all the time. Consider it my own abbreviation that you’ll get accustomed to as the tutorial progresses. The chart may or may not seem confusing but if you read it the right way it shouldn’t be too hard to comprehend.

 

Next, I’ll break things down for you even farther with a chart …

 

 

CMW

Wrong Way

Correct Examples

  1. Their
  2. There
  1. Their is no way I’m dressing like that in public.
  2. Their they are over there in the stands.
  1. There is no way I’m dressing like that in public.
  2. Over there guys are having a fight right now.
  1. Won
  2. One
  1. I had one thing on my mind today, you.
  2. We one today!
  1. I won two soccer games because I wore my lucky bracelet.
  2. She had one more hour she turned into a werewolf at tonight’s moon.
  1. Which
  2. Witch
  1. The which was evil and ugly.
  2. Witch way do we go?
  1. Which path should we take the left or right?
  2. The witch was green and her family was just as evil as her.
  1. Your
  2. You’re
  1. Your wrong.
  2. You’re father isn’t coming back as planned.
  1. Your answer was incorrect.
  2. You’re not going to answer me are you?
  1. Our*
  2. Hour*
  1. Ours went by before class ended.
  2. Hour family went on vacation together again.
  1. Our friendship has lasted years and is still strong.
  2. The hour hand didn’t move no matter how long I stared at it.
  1. Bear
  2. Bare
  1. The vampire did its best to bear his teeth.
  2. The bare was bigger than life.
  1. The bear was twice as tall as a horse.
  2. The bare tree bark was covered with bugs.

 *If you noticed some words on the list are homophones.

  

ho·mo·phone/ˈhäməˌfōn/

Noun: Each of two or more words having the same pronunciation but different meanings, origins, or spelling, e.g., new and knew.

 

 

And now, this chapter alone still goes on. If English isn’t your first language I have a suggestion for you, find an editor. Make sure the person is fluent in the language and can find mistakes the human eye sometimes brushes over. In some of my chapters in the past I have made common mistakes, which is alright because nobody’s writing—especially the writings of teenagers—are going to be perfect. Even with spell check on it may not pick up everything as I have said earlier.

 

The reasoning for the chart should now be known to you. Variations of English words is the very reasoning why spell check may not be the best way of checking what you wrote or typed. When you type, if you go too fast at times there is a chance that you have a typo somewhere.

 

Something that will never be accepted into the English language is emoticons. If you write anything you never use emoticons! Instead you must describe what expression your character has on his or her face. Emoticons make things sloppy and unprofessional. Even if you don’t wish to pursue a career of any kind that relates to writing you have remember emoticons are not acceptable.

 

To me, even the dictionary has issues of its own. Some, such as Webster’s Dictionary, are now adding abbreviations that are seen in text messages. Abbreviations such as those belong online. You can always head to Urban Dictionary for stuff like that. Any added phrases (i.e. friends with benefits, one night stand, Jay Park) or words that are shortened (i.e. TMI, OMG, TTYL) should belong on online dictionaries and that’s it.

 

If you aren’t sure what a word is don’t use an online dictionary, unless it’s Webster’s online version or a published dictionary, because an online dictionary won’t give you an exact definition. It might be able to brief you on what the definition is but it won’t be nearly as accurate as a published dictionary will give you.

 

Here’re two examples. One is going to my definition of the word fluency …

 

flu·en·cy/ˈflo͞oənsē/

Noun: Being able to fully understand something.

 

Now this is Merriam Webster’s definition of fluency …

 

flu·en·cy/ˈflo͞oənsē/

Noun: 1.The quality or condition of being fluent, in particular.

2. The ability to speak or write a foreign language easily and accurately.

 

I hope you saw the difference. The whole word of mouth thing doesn’t always work out because my definition isn’t nearly as specific as it might need to be. Suppose I’m not fluent in English, at times listening to what other people use to define vocabulary that you are unfamiliar with.

 

Like another example (mine is first again) …

 

pot·pour·ri/ˌpōpəˈrē/

Noun: Smelly flower things.

 

As per usual, the correct definition …

 

pot·pour·ri/ˌpōpəˈrē/

Noun: A mixture of dried petals and spices.