take two

What Not to Write {fanfiction tips}

take two —

Take two, normally associated with filmography, is now going to have a new meaning written by me. One thing that I’m horrible at is proofreading. This is just going to be a small little bit of the importance of proofreading and editing. We all have fingers, whether they all be working or not (maybe that came out wrong), in which we use to type. We even use fingers to write, but to hold a pencil or pen.

 

I type fast, but I will be the first to admit that I do make typos, sometimes more often than others too. When I write I typically write very slow to a point where it hurts my hand a bit. Going slower, believe it or not, is better. That way you make fewer mistakes and can later on, especially if you handwrite chapters, spot the error later on. By typing fast you can make common mistakes. I don’t type with my fingers strictly on the home row, but move them around in a way that is more accessible for me to type better. It makes what I do harder because when typing words I can easily write ‘your’ when I need ‘you’re’ instead.

 

A reason why I don’t proofread is because I feel too lazy to reread something I just wrote, so I tend to update, notice the error, and then rush to fix it before someone else notices. English is my first language so I have no excuse for getting it wrong. Someone who grew up speaking a different language is a bit more open to making mistakes, being that it isn’t their primary tongue.

 

Here’s a tip, if you’re like me, get an editor. Make sure it’s someone who is fluent in English and is willing to read your story. Have a common ground, like your favorite band you’re writing about so the story doesn’t, unfortunately, bore your editor to death. Also, make sure that that person is online around the time you are so that chapters can be edited and taken care of more efficiently. If you have computer problems and you are an editor know you are having technical issues or just resign.

 

If you can’t get someone to edit each and every chapter for you, in your author’s notes you can ask for your readers to point out the mistakes you make so you can amend them. Some mistakes are hard to catch, especially the placement of commas. Even now, I either overuse or underuse commas. The only other thing that is more annoying than commas is semi-colons and hyphens. I always get screwed up on where to use them. Refer to online dictionaries or literary resource websites if you wish to improve on those particular sections. Asking an English teacher would also be of help if you aren’t too tech savvy.

 

Here’s something to keep in mind! Always use your spell check after you write a new chapter or writing of any kind. It may seem bothersome but it will come in handy if you ever request a review for a story you’ve written.