the mind's motivation

What Not to Write {fanfiction tips}

the mind's motivation —

In means of writing, or anything really, we all must find some means of motivation to continue something. I am fault to this majorly. I tend to start something and then get sidetracked. It changed the route of which I am going in, throwing off the motivation I had for a prior project. There are things of course that can help someone keep on track more often. I mean this more as a writer to a reader, rather than a writer to another writer.

 

There are a few things that get me to write more, more often at a quicker pace. I, along with everyone else, love comments. You can tell the level of which someone writes just by taking a look at their text. If their words seem to be more matured than most, choosing a better vocabulary instead of small, meager words, then you know that the person is putting effort into their work. My writing isn't the best but it isn't the worst either. You can tell by the length of my chapters and the words that I chose that I take my time to write what I post. There are other author's though that don't really put much effort into what they write. It is those type of stories--ones that lack effort--that don't necessarily not deserve commentors and subscribers but just need work overall. Stories with more subscribers and views (unless you are in the top ten)  probably deserve more comments than they get.

 

Comments, for me, provide motiviation to work more frequently. I just can't stand generic comments. By that I mean the typical "Update soon" from people. I see that a lot and automatically assume afterwards that the person never really read what was posted. Aside from comments, because a lot of people on here who just read are silent readers (meaning they don't eve comment), there are other ways that can motivate someone. Just because you don't comment doesn't mean that you can't subscribe. Subscriptions is the very thing that helps people climb up the social ladder on this website. Ranking high isn't anything to flaunt around but it proves that you have writing talent of some sort. If you bother to read more than the forward and actually enjoy what you're reading by all means it makes sense to subscribe as well.

 

Views are another thing. I loathe when people do weird advertisements on walls. If you apologize for taking up space, make the message private that way it goes into their inbox and not onto their public wall. I find views to be a bit pointless compared to the number of total subscribers and comments that you can acquire but I suppose that others would beg to differ. All of this is in the eye of the beholder after all.

 


I almost forgot to thank you guys for the 100+ subscribers. I really apprechiate that you're all reading these tips. Feel free to suggest future topics as well because I get brain dead every once and a while.