can you see me now?

What Not to Write {fanfiction tips}

can you see me now? —

I’m sure you’re probably thinking, ‘Where’re you going with this one?’ but the answer is simple. This time I’ll be giving you a lecture on none other than font, size, and color. It sounds stupid but these things actually matter. Things like these, the little things, don’t seem important but they can be if you wish to improve.

 

Next time you go to post a blog or even a new chapter check out all the fonts to see their normal/default size (12). Times New Roman comes out a fair size, not too big or small. Georgia is a nice size, the same as Times New Roman. Lucinda comes out a bit small so that might have to be increased. Courier New comes out a good size too but sometimes it makes my eyes hurt by just looking at it. Tahoma comes out pretty big considering the font size is twelve. The other fonts I don’t remember by name because I use the same ones each time.

 

The font I use now, Tahoma (size eleven), is a bit small but it is better than the huge size that Tahoma is if I leave its default setting. I changed all chapters to Times New Roman with the default size, which happens to be 12 like stated above. Color is another thing. I use dark red and that’s pretty much it when I color font. Sometimes I use highlighting like I do for headings but that’s about it.

 

If you like to get all creative and use colors, use one color throughout the whole story. Go nuts when writing titles if you wish to make them colored, but don’t go crazy when writing the actual chapter. It makes things confusing and can give people headaches with the numerous colors used—the light ones especially. Teal is a good color if you feel the need to avoid being bland by using just regular black font.

 

One thing I like about being able to change the font is that to me just regular Arial is a bit boring to look at sooner or later. I use Georgia because it’s as cute as a type of font is going to get. It’s a good size too, which I mentioned earlier on. Just like the color thing, don’t switch fonts in the middle of a chapter unless you’re using it for certain situations.

 

I looked down at the letter she wrote me, smiling.

 

Dear Junhyung,

I miss you so much so you better hurry up and visit me soon! I wish I could see you right now, so watching you on TV for the time being is good enough. Tell the Beast oppas that I miss them immensely.

Love,

Your baby girl

 

If you do something like ‘write a letter’ for your story then it would be alright if you change fonts and maybe put it in italics. If you just spontaneously do both of those things for no apparent reason, then it can throw off the reader and make your story’s format hard to read (this can lower your score on a review if you ever ask for one).

 

Now, I’m not saying you can’t do these things for your Forward (well, just don’t use bright colors) because your readers won’t have to be really studying your Forward but your chapters. By study I mean read and comprehend so that in further chapters they understand what’s going on. 

 


EDIT -- 11.12.20. changed font and size