oops I did it again

What Not to Write {fanfiction tips}

oops I did it again —

What you have to watch out for is making song titles your chapter title(s) or story title. It can be viewed as trite and will cause reviewers to dock points when you ask for reviews. Here're some titles that can be a bit ... overused. I talk a lot about things that are overused because that's what authors on this website have the most issues with. Originality is hard to come by because there is so much literature out there now, but it isn't impossible.

 

Examples of titles that are (becoming) cliché:

  • Omo! ... (almost any title with the word "Omo" shouldn't be taken seriously. It is an expression but it's so informal that it makes me cringe)
  • Living with ... (I don't understand how having a sibling that has a famous sibling and moving into that said sibling's dorm with that sibling seems possible in any situation--even in fiction)
  • (This person) is a ... and I'm a ... (seriously, it's such a long title that it would probably take it longer to read your title than your actual chapter)
  • Here we go again (where'd we go the first time?)
  • The day that ... (did whatever you have in mind)
  • The (something) that (does something said other person)
  • Officially ... (normally can be seen as 'Officially friends with' or 'Officially a couple' -- something really fluffy like that)
  • The Kingka/Queenka ... (insert name after)
  • (name here)'s Slave
  • The nerd and (insert name here)
  • I'm in love with (name here)! or I'm falling for (name here)!
  • I'm (age here) and (insert something tragically unrealistic)!
  • It all started with ...

 

Feel free to add to the list because I'm sure that there are plenty more.