a need for speed

What Not to Write {fanfiction tips}

a need for speed —

As an author, I have an issue with updating quickly. Sometimes it's because of a lack of inspiration or it can be other things as well. There are author's, however, that are able to update at these incredible speeds that never cease to amaze me. I update at a moderate speed, not too fast but I don't leave my readers wondering where the hell I went off to all of a sudden--unless it's with a fic that I've lost all inspiration for. Very few authors on this website are very frequent updaters. People such as dbskgirl4ever and Goddess are very good with their updating.

 

We all know that dbskgirl4ever is number one, followed by Goddess who is number four. The two generally update daily, Goddess having multiple stories running at the same time. I don't know how they do it. To me it seems very unlikely that they are able to update so quickly with accurate results (good feedback). It can be safe to assume that what they do it pre-write everything prior to posting anything on this website but I don't see the hassel in that. I can see how that can help them update faster but I don't know why they would do it. I write most of my work into Word Documents before posting anything on this site. I see that it cuts down on some mistakes, but spelling is something that can always be proofread afterwards anyway.

 

My advice for updating faster, if that's what you wish to do: write a few chapters up, proofread them, and them update them as you wish. To me it's a turn off when chapters are either crammed into a few small paragraphs or spread out so far that it makes unnecessary paragraphs.

 


Backtracking a bit to chapter 11 (sing a simple song -- a tutorial on how to make songfics) I finally have a song fic example that you can look at. I've been out on the lookout and I managed to find two. One is written by me and the other was submitted for a 2min contest. Mine is Saying Hello Again, which is based off of Huh Gak's Hello and I Told You I Wanna Die (who is from A Cube Entertainment). The other is Four Seasons of Loneliness by SodamnxxLillian.