chapter one

Broken Family

Morning. Golden sunlight pours through the small apartment as Tao goes to wake his daughter, Hana. He knocks on her door and walks inside her room.
“ Hana, time to wake up and get ready for school." She gets out of bed and pushes past him. Hana angrily walks into her bathroom to get dressed.
Tao sighs and walks into the kitchen to make breakfast . Soon after Tao finished making the food Hana walks in and starts eating. He sits down across from her.
“ So, Hana, how has school being going?" He asks tentivley. She glares at him and refuses to answer.
"Hana, you haven’t talked to me since ….” She puts her fork down.
"since what? since you killed my mother?" She demands.
Tao tenses, “ I didn’t kill …" pain laced his voice.
"You were the reason she got killed though. “
Tao stands, a pleading look on his face. “ I … I'm your father... It wasn't my fault."
Hana stands up as well, hatred curled and distorted her features. “ If it wasn’t for you and your stupid job this never would have happened you’re the reason why mom is dead. I have no father." She storms back to her room. Tao sits back down and bites back tears. He takes out his phone and looks at a picture of the three of them Hana, him ,and his beautiful wife, Haneul. They were smiling. None of them could've predicted what happened and the poison that would curl inside his happy little girl.
" I’m so sorry Haneul, Hana is right. If it weren't for my job you would still be alive and we would be a happy family. Without you here things have changed, Hana won’t even talk to me she hates me. I hate myself. I hate this life. I just can’t take this anymore.“ He closes out of the picture, a single tear rolling down his cheek. Tao sends a text to his best friend, telling him to watch Hana for him. He goes into his room and grabs his gun. The pistol was heavy in his hand as he climbed to the top of his apartment building.
I’m sorry Hanuel I just can’t live knowing I’m the reason why you died. Hana will be ok she'll probably be happy that I’m dead. Sehun will take care of her. He closes his eyes as his silent suicide note goes through his thoughts.
He raises the gun and points it at his head. Just as he was about to pull the trigger, someone tackles him and the gun slides across the roof. Sehun pulls Tao off of the floor. He stares into his friend's dark eyes before pulling him into a tight hug.
“It’s gonna be ok.“ he whispers.
Tao pulls away from Sehun, running a finger through his brown hair.
“ I didn’t mean for Haneul to get killed. I just thought if I joined the mafia, I could earn some extra money and make our life’s better! but all I did was make it worse. “ The words poured from Tao in a panicked and frenzied flurry.
Sehun stares at Tao, thinking about what to say.
"We all know that you never meant for any of this to happen." Sehun's words were soft and understanding, as were his dark eyes.
Tao sighs, "Hana doesn’t." he walks back to his apartment and Sehun follows close behind.
Hana is putting on her shoes when they come inside. She glances up at Sehun.
“Hey." She was still cold over her and her father's argument. he walks over and gives her a hug.
"Hey Hana, have you gotten taller?" His face was worn with work and stress but still managed to look carefree.
She raised an eyebrow, “no."
Sehun smiles. "Oh ok, well you better get going before you're late."
she smiles but it doesn't touch the rest of her expression. “Bye."
She turns to leave but Sehun stops her. "I have to talk to you when you come home from school, ok?"
She opens the door and gives him a weird look. “'Kay." Then leaves, wondering what that was about.