001

Gary Gary Gary

Chapter 1: Love vs Popularity

 

  It was burger day, I've been looking forward to this for weeks. Ever since the principal hired a new foreign cafeteria chef our school has become a little less y. Every once in a while, the menu will have various foods from all over the globe. It was so hard to contain my drool from slipping down my lips as I sat at the Beckies table.

 

Ew..Jihyo are you about to put a cow covered in buns in your mouth?” Lizzy jumped back in her seat.

 

Yeah I am...what's your damage?” I asked while watching her squirm about.

 

Eating meat is bad for you and cruel. Animals are for petting not eating.” she wagged her pink polished nail in my face while swaying her dyed blonde hair side to side in a dramatic fashion. Completely being exaggerative of rejecting my choices.

 

Didn't you eat chicken yesterday?” I raised a brow.

 

Chicken doesn't count..” her voice when low for a bit then perked up. “You can't pet a chicken.” She explained in Lizzy logic that only made sense to her.

 

Finally after she hushed up I opened my mouth to take a big bite of my juicy burger but unfortunately I was stopped by Suzy.

 

Jihyo..remember we don't eat at the cafe anymore. A Becky should never indulge in stuffing her face like some savage beast in public. Throw that greasy hunk of meat in the trash.”

 

But I am starving and it's burger day. What if I cut it up in pieces and eat it all fancy-like?” I whined.

 

No...now throw it away.” She reached to grab a hold of my burger but I pulled it away. We wrestled around a bit before we got interrupted.

 

Hey, Beckies. What's up?” Hyung Joong joined our table and once Suzy saw him she immediately stopped harassing me. Almost like magic, her fake smile that wins everyone's heart was on her face.

 

Hyungie Oppa~” she said in her aegyo voice, Despite being as plastic as a water bottle she had the ideal looks of Korea. Pale skin, dolly lips, a narrow nose and big eyes, Hyung Joong melted as he smiled back at her just like all the rest.

 

Don't you just love burger day?” another guy who's name I forgot joined us and sat right next to me. Then had the nerve to wrap his arm around me. Suzy spoke over me as I tried to reply.

 

Yeah, I just love burgers...I was about to get one myself after I saw Jihyo's.” she lied. I didn't mind this lie though cause that means I get to enjoy mine. Without wasting anymore time I devoured it all carnivore like. I fought back a chuckle as Lizzy squirmed in disgust.

 

I want to eat two.” Minzy joined in finally pulling away from her cellphone.

 

The generic hot guy with whatever name offered to get burgers for the girls and walked away.

 

Oh, I wanted to tell you girls something.” he pulled out some fliers from his bag. “I'm having a party this Saturday. Could you do me a favor and invite all the coolest people? I trust the judgment of a Becky.” he winked and handed Suzy a stack of fliers.

 

We'd love to.” Suzy flirtatiously his hand. “You came to the right place.”

 

After classes were over, each of us stood at different spots in the hall handing out the party invites.

 

Party at Hyung Joogies. You're invited babe.” I watched as Minzy handed out a few to the richest boys.

 

I didn't want to do this at all so I walked as far away from them as possible. Maybe I could just leave my stack somewhere on a table and leave a little sign saying 'Only take one if you're hot enough to date Suzy' or something like that.

 

The library didn't seem like a good place so I chose the gym instead. There was a table off to the side and I went up to it and placed down the papers. I proceeded to write the little note when I heard a voice behind me.

 

There's a party?”

 

I turned my head and just mere inches away was the object of my obsession. He was leaning over me and looking at the party invites. I blushed and awkwardly moved away as he looked at one.

 

Can I come?” he was smiling at me. I hardly ever got to see his smile and it was indeed a treat. My mouth seem to form words on it's own without my control.

 

 Uh..yeah..sure..you're cool.” I smacked a hand over my mouth but it was too late.

 

Sweet..will you be there?” he moved closer to me and I swear my heart started beating on top speed. I couldn't speak and just nodded. Gary took my hand away from my mouth and held it. We both stared down at our feet shyly. Neither one of us speaking for a moment.

 

Could you...save a dance for me?” he said in a whisper.

 

Being unable to handle my heart pounding I quickly responded. I was becoming so lightheaded by just being this close to him.

 

S-sure..um I better get back to my friends now. I'm sure they'll be looking for me.” I pulled my hand away from him and it was my turn to be the one to run away.  

 

My Jihyo, you better keep your promise.” he shouted behind me. I didn't turn around but instead raised up my right arm and gave him a thumbs up.

 

Gosh, I am sucha spazz. That was my moment to make a move but I ruined it..but at least I'll get to see him at the party. Now I had something to look forward to and a reason to go to the mall. I wonder what kind of style Gary likes his girls to wear. I should ask Minzy.

 

 

Shut up, you're crushing on someone? Who? Who? Tell me.” Minzy practically yelled loud enough for the whole world to hear.

 

Minz...you're embarrassing me. Shush.” I put a finger up to my mouth to quiet her.

 

Have you told Lizzy and Suzy?” she asked.

 

No..”

 

 OMG. Great..don't tell those bimbos. It will be our secret. Now tell me which boy it is.” she was loud all over again.

 

Not telling..now just help me find something to wear. My fashion sense .” I admitted. When it came to clothes I just had no idea how to match things up. I kinda just threw things together and hoped for the best.

 

Alright..but I will find out. No secrets hide from me. I know everybody's business.” s he chuckled before dragging me off to a store that looked glittery. Her words were true. Minzy was the gossip queen at Running Man Academy. I have no idea how she does it but she's like a freaking girly version of Sherlock Holmes. Just give her a day or two and she will find out anything you wanna know about somebody. I kinda regret telling her now about my crush but I'm sure she would have noticed sooner or later. I wasn't very good at hiding my blush whenever Gary walked passed us in the halls.

 

Now do you wanna go for the “y beauty in red” look or “drop dead goddess” look? “ she asked as she held up a red mini dress and a long flowing skirt.

 

Which one will get him to ask me out?” I asked unsure at which one to pick.

 

y beauty in red it is~” Minzy pulled me to the dressing room with her and helped me put it on like I was incapable of dressing myself. “What's with the granny , Jihyo? “ she laughed. “Be sure to wear a black thong or nothing at all.”

 

I hit her on the shoulder. “I'm trying to be his girlfriend not his one night stand...jezz .”

 

We both laughed.

And what's with this dress? I can't even bend down in it. Is my showing? “ I freaked as I turned around to check myself out in the mirror. The dress was hugging my body tighter than spandex. I had to admit I did look pretty hot despite my discomfort.

 

It's perfect..remember the shorter the better. Now let's go buy this then go get some bubble tea.”

 

 

I'm not ready...I'm not ready...I am so not ready for this.

 

Honk Honk

 

The sounds of a car horn went off outside my window signaling that the other Beckies were waiting for me. I checked my make-up one more time in the mirror. I looked like a total wreck, I couldn't stop sweating.

 

Honk Honk

 

Suzy's impatience wasn't exactly helping nor was this dress that refused to stay down. I swear if anyone sees my thong I will die. I rushed over to the window and opened it to shout to them.

 

 Hold on,I need another sec.” I slipped my head back inside and decided that to add some more lip gloss to my lips. Then I threw on a big fluffy coat that looked like I killed Big Bird and stole his feathers to make it. I nearly broke my ankle as I ran to the front door. Knowing Suzy if I make her wait any longer she'll leave me.

 

 I'll be home by 11 mom!” I yelled as I went out the door.

 

About freaking time, what were you doing in there?” Suzy yelled at me as I got in the back seat.

 

Sorry, I had to fix my make-up.” I ap ologized .

 

Who are you trying to impress, huh? You never take this long.” she asked.

 

Um...” I thought fast. “Rule number 1, a Becky must always look her best.”

 

Hmm...” she simply said to my response. “True. Now let's go get to this party. I know everyone is dieing for us to arrive.” she put the car into drive and drove off at high speed.

 

Once we arrived at the party, Hyung Joong told us where to hang up our coats. I was relieved to have mine off, it was starting to get a bit itchy. I heard a scream as I hooked mine up and turned around to see Suzy in the same dress as mine.

 

 Why didn't you guys tell me we were doing a twinzy thing?” Lizzy pouted as she eyed the both of us.

 

We never planned a twinzy thing..looks like Jihyo wanted to compete with me.” Suzy glared at me.

 

Uh..n.no I seriously had no idea you were wearing this. Right Minzy..you helped me pick this out.” I turned to her and she got all nervous and freaked.

 

S-Suzy, I-I-I ...”  she mumbled.

Suzy started to fume and stormed away from us. I was surprise she didn't try to rip the dress off of me. Maybe she didn't want to make a scene. I really didn't care about us wearing the same dress, I am more interested in finding Gary. As I separated from Lizzy and Minzy I wandered around the party. Hyung Joong's mansion was ridiculously glamorous everything about it was so shiny and dazzling. Royal reds and gold covered the walls and carpet, there were huge vases and exotic plants in every room.

 

 Hey, B-B-becky Ji...” I was suddenly grabbed by a drunk Nickhun. His brown hair was frizzed up a bit and his shirt was revealing some abs.

 

Erm..hi.” I say.

 

Have a drink with us...parrttyy parttty..” he slurred. Nickhun was clearly drunk as well as most of the people here. Against my well I was led to the kitchen and handed a can of beer.

 

I didn't really like the taste of beer but if I refused I'd be considered a loser. So I opened up the can and chugged it down. I shuddered as the alcohol coated my tongue and throat.

 

Come on drink more..then let's parrttyy.” he gave m e another can. The boys that circled around me were all encouraging me to get drunk. Even helping me to consume each can they gave me.

 

Yeahhhh. Ji you're awesome.” one of them complimented me.  As the music got louder and somehow I found myself sandwiched between two rich boys dancing to some techno beat, I was super buzzed and everything just felt like it was spinning.

 

I feel like..” I started to say to the guys. They didn't seem to hear me so I spoke louder. “I feel like...I'm going to puke.”

 

Then I did..all over one of them.

 

OMG, totally embarrassing!” I heard what sounded like Lizzy. Everyone was staring at me now and the guy I puked on was screaming so loudly it was making my head hurt. Just as I felt myself about to hurl again someone placed their hands over my mouth and led me out of the room and straight to the bathroom. I didn't get a chance to look at the persons' face as I kept eye contact with the toilet bowl.

 

Here take these once you're done.”I assumed it had to be some pills of some kind. After I puked my brains out for a good twenty minutes I fell back onto the bathroom floor.

 

M-My Jihyo...be careful.”

 

Was this Gary?

 

Gary...” I uttered out and looked up at the face of the boy embarrassing me.

 

Beautiful pale skin, big crescent eyes and a cute smile...this was definitely not my Gary.

  

Um..I think you got the wrong person..my name is Joongki.”  He said while my back.

 

Oh..my mistake.“ I was relieved that it wasn't him a bit. I would hate for Gary to see me like this. “Erm..if you don't mind me asking, how bad was I?” I asked. “Is my reputation destroyed?”

 

I heard him chuckle before handing me a glass of water and pills.

 

What's so funny..” I ask while taking the pills and popping them into my mouth.

 

It was hilarious seeing you throw up on Taecyeon. I never knew he could scream like such a girl.” he started to crack up even more.

 

Some water squirted out of my mouth as I found myself laughing too. Couldn't lie it was pretty hilarious.

 

As for your reputation I think you'll be fine..you're a Becky afterall.”

 

There was a bunch of ruckus going on outside the bathroom which startled me and Joongki so we left out to go check. As we squeezed through a crowd I could hear shouting.

 

 Who invited this loser here?”

 

There before my eyes pass the crowd was my Kang Gary being grabbed by the collar by Hyung Joong.

 

W-what loser?” Gary asked looking around without realizing the person they were referring to was him.

 

Don't play around with me. I'm talking about you, loser! What makes you think you can crash my party?” He was getting pushed around by some other guys and my heart broke seeing him get bullied. I pushed some teens out of my way and made it to the center of the crowd.

 

I invited him!” I shouted. My buzz was completely gone and I was now sober and ready to fight an yone who harms him.

 

Ji-Ji...” Joong was clueless at what to say to that so I took the opportunity to push pass them and grab Gary.

 

Are you alright..Gary.”I ask. I could see that one of his eyes were purple and swollen from one of the punches he received.

 

Yeah..I'm cool.” he smiled at me.

 

Jihyo, what are you doing? “ I was harshly snatched away from him and turned around to face my friends. “You invited Gary to this party? Are you high? He is a total nerd, a loser, a dork and not the kind of person a Becky hangs out with.” Suzy lectured me. I was speechless.

 

God...Ji..I swear if it wasn't for your pretty little face you'd would be a loser just like him. Now...we are going to pretend this never happened but you gotta promise me that you'll stay away from him. Got it?”

 

But...but Suzy. He's not that bad. If you just give him a chance...” I try to defend him and tell her that he wasn't what she said he was but she wasn't having it.

 

You got two options Jihyo...it's either u s or him.” she crossed her  arms.

 

Time slowed down as well as my breathing. My eyes went back and forth between Gary and the Beckies both felt like a lose-lose situation. If I stay with the Beckies I'd get everything a girl could dream of but if I chose Gary..I'd lose all that but he makes me so happy.. I couldn't help but cry. This was the worst decision of my life.

 

Jihyo...” I heard Gary say with hurt in his voice as he saw me start to walk towards my friends. “Jihyo...you're not like them..you don't belong with the Beckies.”

 

G-Gary...what do you know?” I fought though the tears and tried to make myself sound as cold as possible. This hurt me just as much as it hurt him but I had no choice. This was my sad reality. “How dare you say sucha thing to me. Hehehe...stupid. I do belong with the Beckies. I'm pretty and adored by all unlike you. “ I faked a laugh. “ I only invited you here as a joke...I can't believe you actually showed up.”

 

What an idiot.” Lizzy joined in.

 

 Did you really think anyone would want to be seen with you...” Minzy as well joined in.

 

I know that isn't true, Jihyo...” he looked me dead in the eyes and I just couldn't handle it anymore. I turned away and walked aimless somewhere. I could hear him calling for me from behind.

 

Jihyo Jihyo...please...what about your promise?”

  

I froze for a moment remembering the promise we made to one another. It was the reason why I was wearing this uncomfortable dress and why it took me two hours to get ready. But I know now that there can't be a an us, We belong to two different worlds and I don't know if love is more important than popularity...in my world it seems like love is not even real.

 

I forced myself to continue on. The ruckus was starting up again and despite the numerous times he was hit, he still kept calling for me. I really hate myself right now..why did things have to end up like this?

 

Gary, I'm sorry.  

  

Phrases
What is your damage?
Meaning "What's your deal?" or "What is your problem"