Chapter Fourteen

The Hustle

CHAPTER FOURTEEN; 

"Are you sure about this?" She asked while slipping into the outfit.

"Yeah, I called this morning about a business meeting for Minjae about a new possible business associate," Lu Han replied on the other side of the door. 

"So, what am I doing exactly?" Yuri asked and put her black stilettos on.

"You are half French and own a growing company in Europe," He explained vaguely. 

"I barely know French!" She exclaimed and flung the bathroom door open. He smirked and pulled her closely. "Lu Han, this plan is not going to work. Why couldn't I be some other nationality whose language I know?"

"I thought it would be y hearing you in French," He chuckled while kissing the tip of her nose.

"No, it would be hilarious because I know little," She rolled her eyes and pushed himself off to go check her outfit in the full length mirror. 

Yuri wore a white short sleeved blouse tucked into a black- pretty tight- pencil skirt. She curled the ends of her hair before tying it into a bun. Just for fun, she added a bright shade of red on her lips and wore her Ray Ban eyeglasses. 

"Just to verify, when we get to the building, you don't know me and the only thing I am to you is an ," He reminded and brought her out to his car. 

"Yes, sir," She gave a small salute and sat in the front.

"That's cute," He sneered. 

The drive was quick enough and Yuri could feel her heart hammering the closer they got. She quickly revised all those words, phrases and expressions she learned from her French classes all those years ago. Everything was so vague, but if she had a good accent, then everything would be fine.

"Come on, let's go," He leaned over the armrest and gave her a quick peck. "You'll be fine,"

The both of them walked into the building, the cool air gushing past them at the same time. They hopped onto the elevator until the very first floor all while pretending that there was nothing between them. The main office where Minjae worked was crowded by many cubicles and was at the farthest side of the floor. With a quick knock, Lu Han ushered her in.

"Ah, Madame Adeline, please take a seat," Minjae gave her a gummy smile and gestured to the chair in front of him.

"Euh, oui, merci, (Uh, yes, thank you,)" She gave a polite smile and sat down, setting her purse on top of her lap. Her eyes move around frantically, trying to avoid his gaze.

"Lu Han, you may leave us be," Minjae said which made her tense.  She glanced at Lu Han who seemed very hesitant, but still left after giving her an apologetic look. "Now, let's get to business," He announced and sat behind his desk. "Please talk to me about your company and how it would help mine,"

That was when Yuri got her 'oh-' moment. She had absolutely no clue about what Minjae's company was about and how she could benefit it with her make belief one. She fidgeted around and glanced at anything that might help her. She even prayed.

"Well, my company is beneficial in many ways to any type of company," She started off steady. "We have a large group of clients that might help your stocks,"

"So your clients are into technology," Well, that was a clue.

"Oui," She replied. "Most of the clients are students majoring in that subject so they would be delighted to work with you as well as offer some newer and fresher ideas," She ranted, not really keeping track of her words.

"Interesting," He rubbed his chin. "Remind me what your company is about?"

"M-My company... Is..." She trailed off, searching through the deepest depths of her mind for an idea. "Pardonnez-moi, (Excuse me,)" She cleared . "I'm a bit flustered,"

"It's no problem. I understand being in front of such a successful man can make you lose track of things," He chuckled and her eyes fell into slits. Now, killing this man won't be as hard.

"Well, as I was saying," She said through gritted teeth. "My company soars in the technology department where we develop many things as in TVs, smart phones and weapons," At that note, he became much more interested.

"Weapons?" He repeated.

"Oui, we make them much more efficient for the user and deadly for the person standing on the other side," She said proudly.

"Do you maybe have a chart or-"

"Bien sûr, (of course,)" She searched through her purse and stealthily gripped her hand gun. "I must say that this is a poorly made prototype. It is still in the works and barely works," She chuckled nervously while pretending to fumble around in her bag.

"That's no problem," Minjae shrugged. "My expert workers can make it better,"

"Alright," She smirked and pulled out the gun, pulling the trigger without thinking. 

The gun shot also triggered a frenzy in the office. Lu Han barged through the door and grabbed her arm, pulling his jacket over her head and running down to the main floor. The front of the building was crowded with workers who were all wondering who the shooter was. No one suspected Yuri who feigned fright and hysteria. 

"Anyone following?" She asked quietly while slipping into the car.

"Nope, you did it perfectly," He bent down and kissed her lips real quick before rushing to the other side of the car. 

Yuri dug through her purse and pulled out a very crumpled piece of paper. It was very worn out and on the brink of ripping up, but she made sure to conserve it. It was the paper Lu Han wrote to her at the very beginning when they first met.

TARGETS:

- Kim Yongchul

- Park Joon-ho

- Lee Minjoon

- Oh Jihoo

- Kim Joonsuh

- Chang Hyeonwoo

- Kim Yejoon

- Choi Minjae

- Nam Woojin

- Lim Jae

- Jung-Hwa

- Kwang-Sun

She then, with a smile, crossed Minjae's name off the list. She eyed the rest of the names and found joy that there were only 4 names left, but then her happiness deflated. What was she possibly going to do without revenge consuming her every thought and action? There will be nothing left, no use for her anymore. She felt Lu Han's hand hold hers and she turned her attention to him.

"What are you thinking about, tianshi?" He asked while putting his attention onto the road. She shook her head and put the paper back into her bag. "You know I do not believe that," He chuckled. 

"It's just..." She raised her shoulder and looked around in the search for the right words. "I'm so close- we're so close to our goal. I'm just wondering what's next," She shrugged. "What's going to happen to us?"

"Well I'm not leaving you, that's for sure," He chuckled and raised their entwined hands to kiss her knuckles. "I guess we could move and settle down somewhere nice,"

She chuckled lightly. "Where are you thinking?"

"I don't know," He rocked his head for side to side. "France? Canada? Australia? Hawaii?" He named.

"Those are so common!" She exclaimed with a smile.

"Well tell me where you would prefer to go?" He pursed his lips while taking a turn. "You know we can't stay here after everything,"

"I know," She sighed. "I know this sounds childish..." 

As she trailed off, they pulled into the parking. He turned his body to her and cupped her cheeks. No matter how childish she or her ideas seemed, he would never criticize her about it. She had her whole childhood taken away so she deserved to win it back.

"Say whatever it is you want and it'll happen," He smiled and she leaned in until their noses touched.

"I want to go to Disneyland," She looked away shyly as a small blush tinted her cheeks. "I-It's stupid, but-"

"Two tickets to Disneyland California it is!" He ruffled her hair and exited the car.

"No way," She gaped at him and soon formed a wide smile. Yuri got out of the car quickly and ran up to Lu Han before jumping onto his back. "Thank you, thank you, thank you so much!" She squealed while repeatedly kissing his cheek. 

All the 'thank you's in the world would never compare to her bright smile and kisses. He felt like he would do just about everything to get that smile of her once again. Once in his apartment, he sat her down at the kitchen's stool and let her rant on about all the things she would do at Disneyland.

"The first person we most definitely need to see is Mickey Mouse and I want to take the most pictures with him as possible. Oh, we also need to head to those souvenir shops for those headbands- the Mickey ones of course-" 

"Whoa, hold up or else you'll end up with a jealous boyfriend," Lu Han chuckled, amused at how cute she was. 

"But it's Mickey Mouse," She rolled her eyes. "Who do you want to see?"

"Uh..." He stirred a cup of tea. "Donald Duck? Yeah, he seems cool,"

"Duck ?" She smirked and he playfully pinched her nose.

"Very funny," He sneered and gave her a sip of his cup.

***

"I don't understand!" Yuri whined while pouting profusely. "Why is it doing that? Lu, tell me what to do!"

"Tianshi, you just need to chase the ball with your player and press the colourful buttons," He sighed and paused the game once again to teach her. 

"This is too complicated," She sighed while frowning. "How could you find pleasure in this?" 

"It's Fifa," 

"It's stupid," She retorted and cast her eyes to the pile of games he had. "Why kick a ball around when you can shoot a gun?" She lifted another game- a war based one. 

"Because we do it on a daily basis?" He chuckled.

"But I might be good at it," She inserted the game into the machine and they started playing.

A few hours later, Yuri was jumping all around the living room while celebrating for her 10th victory. Lu Han, frustrated since the beginning, threw his controller angrily to the side.

"I am on fire!" She ran through and roughly ruffled his hair. "The winner is and always will be me!" She spun around.

"I let you win!" He argued back, trying to save the little pride he had left. "Are you done? Because as much as I enjoy watching you shake your , I still want to beat you in one game," 

"No, I'm tired," She yawned and sat down to curl up beside him. "You can play online with other people," She suggested. "And I'll watch,"

"Fine," He huffed and started playing once again, pouring all his attention and determination in the game. His focus was interrupted when Yuri decided to crawl into his lap and lay there. "Comfortable?" He sighed.

"Very," She smiled and started to doze off.

Hours later, Lu Han was sound asleep on the floor, his back against the couch and Yuri in his lap. A loud thud woke the both of them.

"What the hell was that?" She groaned while rubbing her eyes.

"Maybe some new neighbours?" He guessed and stretched his limbs.

They both suddenly froze as the thudding became louder. It seemed as though someone was knocking on everyone's doors- but for what? Lu Han cautiously stepped to the front door, making sure Yuri stayed right behind him. He peeped through the peephole and saw men in black suits walking along the hallway.

"Go hide," He quickly whispered to her while pushing her away.

"What why?" She asked and he hushed her.

"There are men looking for me and they'll kill you if they see you. Now hide," He pushed her away and she quickly ran into the bedroom. 

Yuri tucked herself behind the drawers. She strategically hid somewhere they would never find her if they ever did decide to look for her. Lu Han, on the other hand, opened the door once they knocked.

"What do you guys want?" He asked in his usual demenour.

"The boss wanted to know why you changed places without saying anything," One of them replied in a gruff tone that could send anyone running for the hills.

"I felt like a change of scenery," He shrugged.

"Boss also wanted us to tell you to keep an eye out for that Yuri girl. Kill her on sight," The other said.

"Sure,"

"Why don't we take a look at your new place? Catch up on some things," One of the suited men in the back suggested and the rest of them agreed before barging in.

"I don't remember inviting you guys," Lu Han ran after them, looking around nervously for any signs of Yuri.

"Oh, don't be so cold. Besides, you have nothing to hide, right?" The bulkiest of the bunch smirked as Lu Han narrowed his eyes at them.

"Not at all," 

It was clear that they were suspicious of him so Lu Han could only hope that Yuri was well hidden. His heart started racing when they all decided to search his room. He gulped when he caught a glimpse of her leg behind a drawer. To further hide her, he leaned himself against the drawer.

"Your room seems pretty clean," One of them remarked.

"I'm a clean guy,"

"And very feminine," Another exited the closet holding one of Yuri's bras. 

"I've had many women come over," He shrugged.

"So you've kept their undergarments?" The bulky one snickered. "Well, boys, Lu Han definitely has nothing here. Let's leave," 

Without another word, they all left, but that didn't help Lu Han relax one bit. They were all acting odd. Usually, they would turn his place upside down in search for anything suspicious, but they left very easily this time. As Yuri crawled out of her hiding spot, Lu Han helped her all while eyeing the door. 

"I can't believe those jackasses touched my bra," She groaned while patting off some dust. She glanced at the door and her eyes instantly narrowed in on some black smoke. "Fire?"

"!" He ran to the front door and opened it only to reveal a barrier of large flames blocking it. "Run to the back window!" He shouted over the roar of fire and pushed her.

The both of them ran as fast as they could to the bedroom where the farthest window was. Strangely, the window seemed jammed and neither one could open it. Lu Han cursed once again, realizing that it was those men's doing. 

"Lu Han," Yuri started coughing as black smoke started to rise. He threw open his drawers and pulled out some clothes for them to cover their mouths. 

While she ran off to find a different exit, he stayed back at the window. He took a deep breath before letting his 'mask' go to grab a nightstand. He then smashed it against the window, breaking the glass. With little to no breath left, he grabbed his shirt and covered his face. Just as he was about to go look for Yuri, she burst through the door with a bag and they both jumped out the window where they took the fire escape.

Lu Han coughed many times before finding his voice. "Are you okay?"

"Shh," She pulled him down where they hid behind a garbage dumpster.

"Are you sure?" A deep voice bounced throughout the alleyway.

"Of course," Another scoffed. "If they were to escape, this would be the only exit," 

"Oh my God," She gasped. "Is that Woojin?" She whispered and Lu Han peered over her shoulder and nodded. She quickly rummaged through her bag which caused him to raise his brows. "Here," She handed him a gun. "There is only three bullets in there so use them wisely," She instructed and pulled out another gun for herself. "Take out three of them, but leave Woojin to me,"

"Fine," He pulled the safety off. "Be careful," He murmured before grabbing an empty can and throwing it to create a distraction for him to dash to the dumpster on the other side.

As he positioned his gun, she already pulled the trigger and they all witnessed Woojin's body collasp to the ground. All his guards were on high alert and all drew their guns, but three of them were already down. Lu Han had only one bullet left while Yuri had two- there were only two guards left. 

"Come out, cowards!" One of the guards tried his luck and cautiously stepped forward. Like lightning, Yuri shot out of her hiding spot and pulled the trigger once before taking refuge behind the dumpster again.

As she was just about to fire another shot, the last man was already in front of her with the gun in directly pointed at her face. The sound of a gunshot went off and Yuri slowly peeled her eyes open. The man still had his gun in her face, but he was the one bleeding.

"Get up! Come on!" Lu Han shouted and pulled her by the wrist. They both ran like crazy to the garage where Yuri fished out the car keys from her bag and threw it to him.

Just as they drove past one block, police and firefighters were already on scene. They both sighed as they decided to head to a nearby hotel. Yuri finally got the chance to check out her bag that she filled with whatever she thought was important.

"What's in there?" He asked.

"All the paper work we gathered, all the cash and some emergency clothes," She replied.

"Emergency clothes?" He chuckled amusingly while giving her a sideways glance.

"Yeah, I packed some of our clothes beforehand, maybe a few weeks ago, just in case," She shrugged and he gripped her chin to pull her face so he could kiss it.

"You're smart," He complimented.

"When am I not?" She scoffed.

"And humble, too," He muttered under his breath.

Once they rented a room, they both cleaned up and laid their tired bodies on the queen sized bed. While Lu Han was fast asleep, Yuri stayed awake and sneaked out of his arms, and to her duffel bag. She pulled out a few papers, crossed off Woojin's name and sat back to think about her next plan.

She looked at the remaining pictures and names of her targets. There was only three left. Just looking at their faces or even saying their names brought waves of unwanted memories and it felt like a stab to the heart every time. Yuri then wondered what they all did to gain her parents' trust. Was it the promise of money? Her parents never needed it or were lacking any. How did they do it?

"Come back to bed," Lu Han's husky voice drew her out of her daze as he wrapped his arms around her. "It's late and we can think about a plan tomorrow," He kissed her cheek and rocked their bodies from side to side. She nodded lightly and he brought her back to bed.

AUTHOR'S NOTE; 

Hey, guys, sorry for going AWOL for a bit. The site was bugging every time I tried updating so that didn't really motivate me to update D:

Anyways, just a heads up about some intense scenes coming up ;)

P.S. GG is taking over this summer (possibly the entire year)!