Youngji & Jackson

Sincerely, Yours.

It's been a week since Suzy and I poured Uncle Bae's ashes into the sea. 

She has become more emotionally dependent than normal. I think it is understandable and yet there are moments that I...oh what am I saying? I need to stop this train of thought right here.

Anyway, of course, Jackson and I would have our stolen moments together but they are very few...very strained and stressful.

One more thing, his parents made it for the final stretch of Uncle Bae's funeral. 

Jackson thinks it's the perfect time to announce it to his parents but what the heck? Hello, there's a broken bracelet with A LOT of meaning on the line here!

"I'll take care of it." was all he said about the bracelet. Vaguely. "We need to let them know, now, babe. Because this is killing me." 

...and this conversation took place three days ago, after he managed to get some space between him, his parents and Suzy.

I mean how do we even begin to announce our relationship at such a time as this? Wouldn't it be heartless? Cruel even?

When we lost my Mom, it was as if I lost my Dad...because his world revolved around her.

When and what to eat, what to wear, what to do for family trips...how to make me happy or simply make me smile...

It was Uncle Bae who saw all this and helped me through it. He was the one to pickup both Suzy and I from the bus stop, help us with our homework when needed and take us out for ice cream where we'd meet Jackson who was with his dad and three of us would hang out..for years. Two years before Jackson and his family went back to Hong Kong, Uncle Bae finally confronted my dad about his issues.

Uncle Bae walked me inside my house and watched me trudge up the stairs... making sure I was in my room before getting my dad into the family office, closing the door and laying it all on the table. I admit today that I was caught eavesdropping that day by Uncle.  He threatened to take me away from my dad and adopt me himself, if my dad did not clean up his act. He also told my dad that my mom would be disappointed with what has become of him. Uncle gave dad a week to think things over before he contacted the necessary people. Then he walked out of the office...his face flush with anger and disappointment...until he turned and saw me standing on the last step of the stairs. I remember sniffling, I guess he heard me. 

His words to me as he reached out was, "Hey there, little doll. Don't cry. It'll get better. You'll see. Uncle will make it all better." I remember flinging myself up into his arms, hugging him tight and crying my little heart out. 

From there on out, I knew I had a champion in Uncle Bae. 

As I sit here in the backyard, on my childhood swing, I look up into the night sky. 

So now, what do I do...Umma? ...Uncle Bae??

 

~~~

I pull up to Youngji's house at the same moment Mr. Heo steps out of the house, trash bag in hand.

Turning off the engine, I get out of the car and make my way to him.

"Good Evening, Mr. Heo." I greet formally.

"None of that formal stuff, Son! Your just the person I wanted to see. Let me take out this trash and I will be right with you."

"Let me." I extend my hand for the bag but he refuses. "It's quite alright, son. I've got it. Go make yourself comfortable and we'll talk in a moment."

"Yes, sir." I say and do as I am told. 

When he returns, he heads to the kitchen and brings back two shot glasses, some beer and soju. 

Quickly he sits down and pours.  Offering me a glass he sits back and we drink one shot together...then another...than another.

I put my glass down and  start to wonder where this is all going when he plainly acknowledges the obvious.

"You're in love with my daughter, aren't you?"

"Yes." I don't beat around the bush.

He nods and understanding flashes in his eyes followed by regret.

There's a silence between us and then he continues.

"You know I haven't always been the best of fathers." 

I feel a tightening in my gut but I look him in the eye without wavering.

"I owe, Bae Yoo Hoon... my life, and that of my daughter's."

I stay silent. 

His adam's apple bobs as he swallows and clears his throat. 

"In the Honorable Bae Yoo Hoon's steed, I would like to offer to you, Bae Suzy's hand in marriage as wished by her mother, maiden name, Hye Shin Ae."

I hear a shocked gasp from near the back door. 

"A..appa...." Youngji stutters coming forward. As she draws nearer I see that all color has leaked out of her face.

"You have two weeks to consider the purposal."

He continues as if his own flesh in blood isn't in the room and isn't hurting with every word coming out of his mouth.

Remorse flints through his features before he toughens up and his face becomes expressionless.

"Consider it carefully."

Youngji is now kneeling at his side, staring at his profile pleadingly. "Appa...please..."

Without sparing her a glance, his voice is devoid of emotion as he commands,

"Know your place!"

She jumps out of her skin.

Pissed, I stand up, take the shot glass and fling it. The sound of shattering glass against the wall, welcome.

"Don't you ever talk to her like that again." I warn, ready for battle as I hover over him. 

Luckily, the landline phone in which only he uses, rings.

He gets up, looking haggard and tired. "I'll be in my office." He says to no one imparticular as he leaves the room.

Youngji also stands up.

"You okay, baby?" I go to Youngji and reach out but she steps away from me.

"...The glass. I have to clean it up." She keeps backing away from me, then suddenly cries out.

I look down at her barefeet and there's blood.

Nonetheless, she continues to back away

"Stop." I plead. "Let me take care of you."

She stops moving but puts a hand up when I try again to get closer to her.

"Youngji Heo. Enough. Games." I clip out.

"If you want to be with me, take my hand." I instruct, clearly at the end of my rope.

She stares at me as though she's trying to memorize every feature, ever curve and every naunce of my face. 

I feel like throwing up.

"Heo Youngji....please love, don't do this to us. Give us a fighting chance." I beg hoarsely.

"My father's right...we owe everything to Uncle Bae." She blinks back tears.

I feel the walls closing in on me, then and there. I know I can't do this. Not here. Not now, so I turn to leave.

She quickly takes hold of my wrist and finally draws near me, until the only thing separating our bodies are her two hands, against my chest.

Her eyes roam over my features and lingers. A small sad smile appears on her lips and she does what has become a habit for her. She fixes the lapels of my jacket carefully. 

"All...all your wooing didn't go to waste, Wang Jackson." 

""Shut up, Youngji."I warn desperately.

"She's fallen in love with you." Her voice cracks.

"Shut up. Do you hear me?"

"She loves you...." 

I grow cold as I hear the breaking of a heart.

My own.

Shoving her away roughly from me. I say all there is left to say.

"So be it."  

 I leave and I don't look back.