Jackson

Sincerely, Yours.

My palms are sweaty and there seems to be a series of flutterings in the pit of my belly. A fluttering of nervousness as well as one of dread. Anticipation. Fear. I'm only 13 but I know it is now or never. I like her and she has to know. I have to tell her before I leave South Korea. Before I go back to Hong Kong now that my father has done the job expected of him. Mommy tells me we've lived in S. Korea since I turned three years of age. That's a long time. 

Her name is Suzy. She has big eyes and a mop of ink colored hair that her mom forever clips back until its long and flowing down, behind her shoulders. Me and Suzy, our moms says that we got along just fine from the moment we met while still in our training pants. My daddy and hers have worked together forever and my mommy and hers are the best of friends. Suzy on the other hand, considers our friend Youngji her best friend, but we didn't meet Youngji until we entered Kindergarten. I guess that's okay with me though.Suzy's my princess.Youngji is like my left hand man (except she's a girl). We both do what we can to protect and take care of Suzy.

 

I sigh as I drag my feet over to a nearby swing in the neighborhood park and sit down, further dirtying the new sneakers Mommy bought me. Will she come? I hope so. Youngji promised me that she would personally see to it that I got the chance to talk to Suzy. Youngji says she's been sulking and avoiding me since our families found out about the news of our leaving. I don't know why, but I find that kinda sweet. 

 

I hear someone mumbling in the distance. I look up and I see Youngji's mouth moving a mile a minute while pulling Suzy right behind her. Youngji's hair is caught up in her usual nappy pigtails. White t shirt, blue overalls and worn tennis shoes with a smiggen of dirt decorating the side of her cheek. That's our Youngji. She spies me and smiles wide, not bothering to hide the joy that meets her eyes. it crinkles with happiness at the edges as she points towards me and addresses a sullen Suzy. opens wide as she lets a wisp of silent laughter. Hurrying her steps and almost dragging Suzy the rest of the way, Youngji excitedly points out,

 

"Yah! Wang Jackson! She's here. Suzy is here. I got her to come." 

 

I smile widely at Youngji and sneak a peek at a perfectly put together Suzy. Today she has orchestra practice at a private academy in about two hours. I know because well, that's how it's always been. My passion is sports and her's is in music, mainly, orchestra music and also  this is the only day Youngji and I would spend playing together without her.  

 

"Are you done being mad at me, Suzy?" I ask her quietly.

Suzy looks towards me in genuine surprise. "I'm not mad at you, Jackson."

Youngji looks back and forth between us and backs away clearing ."I'll be over there." she barely mummurs, pointing toward the monkey bars and heads that way.

I turn my attention back to Suzy and give her an encouraging smile. "Then why have you been avoiding me when you know that I leave tomorrow?" 

Sheepishly Suzy looks around. "Oh that...it's nothing. I was just wondering how I was going to say goodbye to you."

My heart skips a beat.

"This isn't goodbye. I promise to write you everyday, Suzy...and I'll come back. For you, I'll come back."

"Oh...um that would be nice..."

"It will be like I never left. I promise."

"Um okay..."

I offer her a smile and she gives me one in return.

 

The next day, our families say goodbye and mine board a plane, Hong Kong bound.