Suzy, Jackson and Youngji

Sincerely, Yours.

"How can she just disappear?" I direct my question filled with frustration toward Suzy as I run a hand restlessly through my hair. Her eyes reflect concern but she stays calm. "It's alright, Jackson. Calm down. She's my friend too. Let me just call her office ok? Maybe they can give us a clue as to where she disappeared to." 

"She's not taking my calls." I sound like an whiny teenage kid but I can't find it in myself to care. Patting the space beside her, she gestures for me to have a seat after she speedial's Youngji's company phone and puts it to her ear. 

I give in and sit plop down next to her, more pissed than worried. Where are you, Heo Youngji?! I ask myself silently. 

Neither Suzy or I have been able to get in contact with her since yesterday afternoon. It is now, lunch time, the next day.

"Yes. Hi!" Suzy begins. I guess someone from the company picked up after all.

"My name is Suzy Bae. Can you tell me if Heo Youngji came to work today?"

After what seemed like forever but was just a mere second, Suzy's straightens.

"Really? I see. I hate to keep pesturing you but do you know where that might be?"

....

"Ah. I see. Okay. Thank you so much. Have a good day."

 

When she looked my way, her expression was crestfallen. "Youngji was shipped out yesterday afternoon to work on an extended choreographer collaboration  assignment...but the location is to be undisclosed for the sake of the idols that went with her and the collaboration is to be a surprise."

"And she didn't bother to let anyone know?!" I couldn't wrap my head around the fact that she didn't even bother to at least give me a heads up. 

Taking my hand in hers, Suzy replies, "Well, with Youngji's job...this sometimes happens." 

I really want to pull back my hand but I don't want to hurt her. 

"Did they at least give you an idea of how long Youngji was required to be away?" 

"No. These projects last anytime from a week to a few month, depending on how Youngji and her company want to deal with the other party in part to the song and ideas etc etc." 

"Suzy, I leave in a few days." I point out.

She just shrugs with a laugh. "You'll see her next time you come visit. I'll see you off. Leaning in, she takes my chin in between her thumb and index finger, turns it to the side and kisses me on the cheek. 

"You're so cute when you are all worried." she smiles widely at me.  I barely manage to smile back. 

Disappointment sits bitterly in the pit of my stomach.

~~~

 

Hong Kong: 3 Weeks Later

 

I've been staying in a suite at  Hotel Indigo for three weeks now courtesy of Simon Lau Moriscati, My collaborative choreography partner for the time being. His mom is from Shanghai but she moved to Hong Kong more than three decades ago where she met his dad, Italian Business Man, Victor Roman Moriscati. Simon labels it a whirlwind romance that ultimately resulted in marriage and a brood of little Moriscatis. Three boys and one girl. Course, Simon was the youngest boy, hence he made use the chance to step out of the family business and pursue his passion. Dance. That certainly did not stop him from making use of his connections though. 

I must say I'm one lucky girl. Indigo is SPECTACULAR. I feel spoiled in every sense of the word especially after long days of brainstorming, concept strategy planning teaching and practicing. Trust me, being a Choreographer is not just all fun and games. The stage is my canvas and my body is an artform. 

As an artist, I'm glad for this opportunity, it's amazing...and it keeps my mind constantly occupied. Except, I know in the back of my mind that running from Jackson the way I did is not the answer. Hurt, I ignored his calls until he no longer sent me calls or texts. Last week, I finally called Suzy but still I didn't mention my location. She gave me an earful but at the end, forgave me for my "lack of conscious". She then tells me to call Jackson right away because that's what "Friends" do.  I smile sadly as I look out at the magnificent view of the HK city lights from my room. If only it were that simple. "Friends"...I could do it, couldn't I?

I head to the spacious bathroom to do my nightly cleansing regime and after I wash my face of excess suds, I stare at myself in the mirror. I can't hide forever just because fate dealt me a different set of cards. I have to face forward, no matter what.

Wiping my face with a soft terry cloth I go to my connecting bedroom and pick up my phone that is laying on the bedside table and establish the call.

After what seems like forever, I hear a voice devoid of emotion on the other line. "Why are you calling?"

Wow. Okay.

"My mistake." I say quietly. I make to hang up but I stop at his strained command.

"Don't you dare hang up on me, Heo Youngji!"

I swallow past the knot in my throat.

"I'm at the Hotel Indigo here in Hong Kong. It's late tonight but if you can make time to come over tomorrow. I'll meet you in the "Cafe Post". I can tell you I'm sorry over the phone but I'd much rather do it in person."

There was a pregnant silence then,

"I'm on my way. Call the front desk and tell them you'll be expecting me tonight."

The breath wooshed out of me. "You can come by tom-mmorrow." I end up stuttering.

"Tonight. I'm coming by Tonight." 

The line went dead after that. 

Oh boy...will I die or will I survive?