Part 1: When one door shuts, another opens

Horror school I: 7 School myths

When one door shuts, another opens:

when one opportunity is lost, another one soon becomes available.

 

Woollim High school was considered as one of the most popular high school in Seoul, where educated thousand of excellent students. Enormous campus, school building supplied with modern facilities, friendly student community, honor awards and everything, this place seemed to be the most suitable environment to study, especially who wanna bring about good achievement. But, there were several secrets hidden. Lots of hypothesis had been spread all over the city about school repudiated scandal but the student community was one of the most discussed. There was posibility that students were all outstanding and they started to hate each other, creating a severe hating mood everywhere, even on social networks. A couple of suicides had been recorded and assumed that that was the result of being anti, but the principal always obcured with the excuse of too much studying. Conflicts were also a worry, but the students were able to hide this truth. In addition to that, many pupils claimed to see paranormal phenomenas occure like ghosts, moving objects, mysterious sound, strange symbols and clues around the school. Most of those cases were generally ignored and cocealed by all schoollies.

Class 11A, Physics period

 

"Class, open your book to page 139. Today we are studying about audio frequency." The professor put on her protable microphone. "So first, can anyone define what is frequency for me please?"

One student raised his hand. "Please express your idea, Nam Woohyun?"

"Yes, frequency is the number of occurences of a repeating event per unit time."

"And what is the 'repeating event' here?

"Sound?"

"Very good. Please sit down!" The teacher wave her hand downward.

Other students started to mumble and whisper to each other.

"Erghh, our perfect prefect!"

"No wonder he was nominated as 'The participant of the month'!"

'Veeerrryyy gooodddd!' He just said the same as the textbook!"

Woohyun just sat there and pretended he heard nothing. "Being a good monitor is tough. OK, keep calm, breathe!" He knew that dozens of them hated him because of his hard-working attitude, good marks and excellent sweet voice. But he never minded. "Haters are gonna hate, hate, hate. Anti-fans are also fans." He always reminded himself like that. Although he knew those boys hate him because of a 'no wonder' reason: he had more girls around than them. Well, being a monitor didn't probihit him from gaining attraction, so he constantly impressed everyone by his friendliness and adorable aegyo.

 

"Now, anyone read the first experiment please? Sungyeol-sshi?" The professor spotted the one staring day-dreaming staring out of the window soullessly. "Er-hm, Sungyeol?"

A student screwed a paperball and threw Sungyeol right on the head.

"Ouch! Watch your hand, dude!" Sungyeol immediately woke up and and turned around.

"Sungyeol-sshi, why don't you pay attention to my lesson? Or my lesson is uninteresting?"

"..." He said nothing but kept his head down, stared at his desk and scubbed it.

"What is there out of the window?" She got closer to his position, which was at the end of the class

"I saw ..."

"You always answer nonsense! Do you know that it is you who very rarely focus on my lessons? Do you do the same to other classes? Do you notice that your scores are getting more and more terrible?" The professor banged her ruler against his desk, which made his shoulders obviously shook. "Please get out out my class! I can't teach such a stubborn and inattentive like you!"

Like a routine, Sungyeol stepped out of the class after getting in just a few minutes. School was like a riddle to him. Something happened again and again, and what he never wanted to come up always blocked his way. Something kept distracting him. He realised that weird thing were likely to appear around him all the times. For example, ...like when he was kicked out f the class....

 

Sungyeol landed on his face when he fell unnaturally right at the door. He stood up right away, but suddenly he leaped up, his face emoted a surprising shock.

"What happen to you again, Lee Sungyeol?"

"Ms, has anyone mopped the floor this morning?" His voice started quavering.

"Of course yes!"

"But it isn't clean at all!" He still kneeled on the floor, moved his hand around.

"Are you insane or something? Class, does anyone see the floor unclean?"

"Mad Yeollie!" One student shouted.

"He needs an eye operation now!" Another one added.

"This isn't a school for the blinds!" And one after another started to made fun of him.

"That is enough, Sungyeol-ah. Get out immediately! I've waisted too much time! And close the door too!"

Sungyeol sadly dragged his feet outside, stood still like a statue. "It's impossible! I did saw...blood drops!"

 

Woohyun could only look at his fellow for a short moment. "Again. His condition is becoming worse." He thought.

The teacher came to Woohyun's place. "Keep watching Sungyeol. I think he should get along well with school. I'm afraid that his scores are too bad for him to graduate from High school. How is your crew and him?"

"We're doing well. I will tell others to take care of him as well."

Footbal field

 

"GOALLLLLLL!" The team cheered their win with lots of shouting and jumping up in the air.

"Hoya chingu, why don't you enroll for the District football team?"

"Yeah, you are so good to be in such an anonymous club like our school's."

"You are truly the ace!"

"Good job Hoya! You are the best forward ever in the history of our school's club!" The coach proudly patted him on the back.

 

"Actually that goal wasn't that remarkable in my opinion." A voice from behind disturbed the whole team's spirit. Even the cheerleading team which was practicing performing also couldn't believe in their own ears that someone did insulted him.

'Someone' reveal to be a green new trainee: short, puny and sluggish.

"Hey boy! Do you know who are talking to you?" The leader of the team got closer to the cheeky rookie.

"My minor boss."

"Good. And did you know who you mention in your last speech?"

"Your super star? I told you I didn't see that win satisfactory. Hoya-sshi was so close to the goal and it was so simple to kick the ball and because there were few players around him! By the way, he is the centre forward so scoring is his profession."

The girls started to get angry.

"Are you upset that you're underrated in the team?"

"Thank you noona! It is what I mean. Being just a midfield is too uncomfortable for me! I cannot even move around because others have blocked all my way. I want to switch to a new position. So does him! Playing well as a forward but can he be a defender? I challenge Hoya hyung to pause being a forward and try a new position. Right now! Start a new game!"

"ENOUGH!" The coach shouted his throat out. "This field is not the place for arguments! And you Youngjoon will be punished! Who allowed you to misbehave? Minus 10 points of conduct and no practice for a month!"

He stopped for a while to get his voice back.

"But I do appreciate your opinion. And I will surely change your position. Sometimes doing something for too long is stressed. Prejudice against someone is far too bad. I'm talking to both of you, Youngjoon and Hoya."

Two boys stared at the coach without any idea about what they were going to do.

"There are 25 boys in our school's club. Why don't we make a draw? Let's make 25 pieces of paper, I'll write the positions on those, randomly. And all of you will pick without knowing what was written. Of course, only 3 lucky ones can have a break, but some of you will pick the position that you've never played. How is that plan? Is that OK for you, Youngjoon?" The coach walked toward the two.

Youngjoon looked a bit pleased. Finally he could do something without standing uselessly in the middle of the field.

But the one who was directedly demanded by Youngjoon, Hoya, seemed apprehensive. He was used to being the forward. What if he pick the 'defender' one, or worse 'goalkeeper', which he didn't know anything about? How could he play without any proper skill of those classes?

Hoya kept his eyes on the coach and one boy, who were making random drawing pieces. Sweat rolled down his face.

"Worry, hyung?"

That was Youngjoon.

"I ask if you are worry for this." The boy asked without looking at the person he was talking to.

"What do you mean, kid?"

"I heard that you entered this school during your 11th grade, and you were chosen to be in the club."

"Yes."

"Do you know that 10th grade students aren't allowed to play in the club without a year being a trainee? Which mean you can only play right away if you are in the 11th grade and you have a football background of the school."

"Yes, I know all of those rules right when I get to the club!"

"But you are transfered from another school team, right? It's not easy to get a place here except you have a reference or something?"

"..."

"I just guess so. And deduce. Maybe those are rubbish gossip."

Hoya stood there dumbfounded.

"Hey guys! Gather here! Pick one piece please!" The coach raised his voice.

"Gotta go immediately to get the good piece!" Hoya heard Youngjoon whisper to himself.

 

"Arghh! Defender?"

"OH yeah! I still play as the midfielder!"

"This is my chance! Forward!!!!" Youngjoon roared like he wanted the whole school to hear him.

Hoya look down his piece. The word 'GOALKEEPER'  just drove him crazy. He had never been a goalkeeper, if you don't count when he was in primary school. He could move his legs and feet seasonedly, but his hands never obeyed him. And one more thing: he was slightly astigmative.

 

Wearing on the gloves, he felt he became 180 degrees different from 30-minute-ago-him. He wished he hadn't been to the field.

"Keep calm, chingu!" A friend patted him on the shoulder.

"Keep your head cool and play aggressively!"

"Be a nicer goaler, Hoya!" The goaler, who picked 'FORWARD' also comforted him, because he was only one who most undeerstand Hoya's situation.

 

The coach honked the horn. Players started moving around the field. Everybody seemed perplexed because of new classes. Guess what would happen when the forward played as the goalkeeper, the goalkeeper picked forwards and midfielders, the midfielders were switched to defenfers, and best defenders took the break!

Youngjoon quickly slided through the field smartly. It was really easy to know he was heading Hoya's team goal. The boy showed his strong ambition to beat his sunbae. But he couldn't. The goalkeeper-Hoya's best friend, who was a forward now, broke in and disrupted Youngjoon, shifted him back to his team's area. Then, half of Hoya's team changed their concentration to Youngjoon. They distorted the normality of the field and made him kicked into his team goal by some tricks of surrounding.

 

"*Bad words* Why!!!!"
"What the heck? You've kicked into our goal!"

"Being such a forward like you!"

"We rather don't have any forward than you!"

Hearing his fellow exasperated him, he clenched his fists in front of his face and shook it. 

 

Hoya got cooler a bit because he didn't attack his side. But watch out, he may fail this game being a goaler.

 

The other attacked again. They moved like storms to Hoya's team. Their greatest advantages was most of them were midfielders and forward (while Hoya's team consisted of lots of trainees and defenders). One more time, Youngjoon led the storm and moved skillully to the goal.

"Hoya chingu, watch out!" The friend shouted.

Youngjoon booted the ball real hard. Hoya 'flew' out to catch. But: he was astigmatic. He just got out instinctively. And the worst disadvantage was that: the sun shone right on their side and and hardly could anybody see the ball clearly. The sun beamed directly to Hoya's eyes and...

 

(A couple of minutes later)

"Awake?"

"Ouch!" Hoya woke up and felt his head aching like hell. Touch his head, he realised his forehead was carefully bandaged. "What happened to me?"

"Don't you remember? Youngjoon kicked vigorously. The ball landed right on your forehead and which blew you to the bar of the goal. Then you appear here."

"Gosh, he kicked that hard?"

"You bleeded a lot. Anyway, your mother sent you your contact lenses. How careless of you to forget them!"

"And it's consequence is this." He pointed at his head.

Dongwoo dragged his feet to class tiredly. He had been suffering from severe stomachache for several days. The doctor told that that was just digestive problem and it would disappear in a few days.

"I want it to disappear immediately. Right now. Not in a few days."

Class 12B, Chemistry period

"Students, I have an important information for you. You know, the Science festival of our school is held anually and it occures on next Monday. Therefore, our school has obtained for some cyclinders of chemical substances. Those are oxygen, hidrogen, fluorine, chlorine, helium, and some kinds of organic gas. Now, I'll skip some lessons to teach you, firstly, about halogen. Because you are in 12th grade now, the oldest in the school, and you are responsible to have knowledge about these and better our Science festival. Open your book to page 145."

"Aigoo, Chemistry~ I need a Biology class or something~" Dongwoo goraned to himself.

 

"Halogen consists of five elements. Anyone can read out for me?"

"Fluorine, Chlorine, Bromine, Iodine and Astatine."

    

"Correct! Now, we are focusing on first to : Fluorine and Chlorine. These two are all in gas phase in normal temperature and the most reactive in the halogen. Can someone tell me some reactions?"

"Reaction with hydrogen to compound hydrogen fluoride or hydrogen chloride."

"Right."

"And produce acid if we add water."

"You are all excellent! Hydrogen fluoride, as well as hydrogen chloride are very dangerous. They can cause serious burn..."

Dongwoo couldn't pay any attention to what the teacher was lecturing. Although he had completed that lesson before in his intense class, he got nothing when he heard about it again. His knowledge was nowhere to be found and then when he does a test, they come back like water.

 

Stepping out of the class, he felt free. At least, that was the last period in the morning. He ran to the stair to get down. Starving is always annoying. But, his stomach didn't let him free when he fell all the way down the stairs.

Hurt.

Not only his stomach but also his back and hand were aching.

His stuff was out of his bag all over the floor.

Everyone looked at him like he was a freak. Stood up, lost his balance, repacked the bag, he shuffled to the school nurse  with stomachache and backache.

School theater

 

Sunggyu coughed non-stop. It was the last period before lunch. But unfortunately, it was the Music class. The teacher had already announced that there would be an audition for the school choir. Anyone has register cannot change their mind. So Sunggyu had to take it with a terrible sore throat. He couldn't even sip his spittle normally.

"Are you sure it's gonna be fine?"

"I think I can do it. Just an audition." Sungkyu struggle with his pain to answer.

"But what if you fail? This is your last chance of this year!"

"Nothing happens when I don't pass."

"Your voice is beautiful. It's such a pity when you're still out of the choir when you recover."

Sungkyu just simpered. His throat was hurt enough even when he didn't talk. Drinking some water clearing his voice, he felt a bit better. He closed his eyes and sat still until the teacher came in.

"Hello everyone! As I've noticed you before that we'll have a tryout today. Let's give our 10 amateur singers an applause!"

 

"Yes. Clapping. Ovation. 10 amateurs. Let's see how many will you pick." Sungkyu talked to himself and opened his eyes to see the first candidate. It was a 11-grade girl with braids. 

"Looks extraordinary rich but useless!" He smirked.

But that girl broke all prejudices that she had an incredibly smooth voice. She could also play the piano.

 

"Second candidate!"

Sungkyu looked on his paper. He was the sixth one to perform. But he didn't hope his voice would be better then. He had already lost his desire to be in the choir. He realised he had much to do with his study and other. That was his last year at High school, so he preferred his friends and taking part in school activities to being famous. He could sing later, when he graduated or something. 

 

"Fourth candidate."

He realized that watching an audition was even more boring than sitting doing nothing, while he really did it when he was waiting for his turn. Time seemed forzen and not moving anymore. Sleepiness started to be the second antagonist to attack him.

 

"Sixth candidate."

Sungkyu woke up from his daydream and stepped in the front.

"Please introduce yourself and sing any of your favourite song. And play any instrument if you want too."

"Annyeong." He greated with an inrritatingly raw voice. "My name is Kim Sungkyu, from class 12B. Today I'm performing a song called '60 seconds' with piano instrumental."

He had his seat by the piano and started playing. The whole room was fascinated by his talnet. But when he raised his voice, everybody recognised his sore-throat voice. Although he had tried his best in his performance, he himself and of course, audience wasn't satisfied beacuse nobody has heard his real great voice.

Overwhelmed by disappointment and boredom, Sungkyu left the room right after his turn.

Locker corridor

 

Myungsoo opened his locker and took out some stuff for his next period. Four periods in the morning were enough to kill him tons of homework and projects. Lately, he was revealed to be the grade's visual, which was never easy: he needed good conduct, great scores, behavior and lots more, which including relationships too. Well, they could be anything: he needed to be friendly toward everybody at school and only play with good guys, who were not bullies or idiots or bla-bla kind of guy, for example. All of those hit him a great punch when he recieved that information this morning.

"Morning chingu!" A guy came and patted his back, happily greeted him.

"Ah, hi Soonwan!"

"You have another period? Aw, that ! I'm free now!"

"Aigoo you're so lucky!"

"See ya this afternoon!"

"Bye!"

 

"That was weird." Myungsoo wondered. Soonwan wasn't that welcoming to anybody. He even got caught with fighting once. There was no clue he talked with Myungsoo like his colleague while Myungsoo rarely meets him. "There must be something ridiculous."

He closed his locker and hurried to class.

 

"Oh great! Look at that guy!"

"How foolish!"

"Goofy visual!"

"Silly silly!"

 

"What happened? Why does everyone look at me and laugh like they've never been happier?"

He looked himeslf from top to toe. Nothing was wrong. He wore the right uniform, clean and tidy hair, suitable sneakers and just heavy bag like everyone. What was so odd?

 

Class 10D, Math period

"Hi ya Sungjong!" Myungsoo took his seat in front of Sungjong.

Sungjong also took a glance at him and grinned for a moment.

"You too? Please tell me what is happening?" It was very seldom of him to get hot-tempered

"Turn back!"

"What? You want me to forget this?"

"Turn back! It's on your back!"

"?"

Sungjong picked a piece of sticky note on Myungsoo's back: I wear underpants upside down.

 

"*Bad words* Soonwan! I'll punch him after this class!"

"Kepp your head cool. It's not that serious. Just a joke!"

"But I became the visual of the grade! Is it OK for you when someone damaged your desk and wrote nonsense on it?"

Immediately, Sungjong's wooden chair broke down! He alnded with his , which recieved quite a lot of laughter.

"Are you OK? Looks hurt."

"Who on earth damaged my chair?"

Of course he received no answer. Even though he already knew the culprits were some naughty boys in class who hated him, he couldn't do anything to prevent tricks they played on him.



Finally, a full update! I've worked hard straight 2 weeks because I had lots of test to do. But I'm free now.

So how is the first chapter? I made the characters a bit different from their real characters: Sungkyu is easy to give up and lose heart, Dongwoo is unlucky and sloppy, Woohyun is a nice kind perfect, Hoya is the best-known footballer, Sungyeol is careless and seems bizarre, Myungsoo is a friendly visual but easily to be tricked, and the caring but aggressive maknae Sungjong.

Though I've decided the plot already, but if you wanna add any details, please comment or inbox me.

Thanks subscribers and readers, as well as Julyanh12.