Two's company, three's a crowd

Horror school I: 7 School myths

[Flashback 6]

Soryong let out a long breath. The third game of the championship had just ended.  Another wasted hour. I should be at home with Daeryong to film, or simply study. He tiredly tidied the desk before leaving the commentary box. It was a cold night at the end of January. Scheldules, notes, lists and pencils were all over the desk. Luckily the season is over now. Or else I would die before semester ends. 

He knew Daeyong was very busy at the time to, fighting against humiliation after his accident in the lab and making up his reputation by contributing in innumerous activities. They stayed up to one o’ clock in the morning to finish homework. Many projects were delayed because of constant tests.

Soryong pulled out his phone.

“Tasty, where are you guys?”

“Do you know you’ve been away from us for straight two months?”

“The ‘Master Migicians’ show is happening in New York this summer, will Tasty star in?”

“My Youtube homepage is now so boring without Tasty’s videos updated~”

Comments, tweets and posts mentioning Tasty appeared in a long list in his notification box.

“Argh~,” Soryong lay on the desk. “Where have I been? Why is it so hard to live double-indentitied?” He couldn’t stop himself to a punch at the desk.

He put his phone away and packed his backpack with a weird feeling. He felt empty. He felt there was something should be done, something very important.

He felt…unsafe.

He felt...being watched.

Oh yeah, the supervisor was with him all the time when he was commentating. But that was not what he felt. The supervisor didn't bring him that scary, curious, untrustworthy feeling. His mind overwhelmed him so heavily that he didn't even realize he walked out of the box already. 

Or do I just imagine?

He put his coat on very slowly, because another thing distracted him: there was somebody outside.

Yes, the basketballer were still in the locker rooms and the corridors, but those were not who Soryong found. That person didn’t wear the thing the basketballers wore.

Seemed like that person found out Soryong saw him, or his watch was watched back.

 “Hey! Why aren’t you leaving, Soryong? It’s quite late now!” Sungyeol opened the door and walked straight in innocently. “Students are not allowed to stay after seven.”

“Yes, I’m leaving in just ten minutes.”

“Why not now?”

“I’ll leave now. Why are you so..., ah, why are you asking?” Soryong tried to keep his voice as clamest as possible.

“Ah, I just want to know why you always stay for half an hour after the match. Or actually, every day?” Sungyeol turned his eyes to avoid eye contact with Soryong. “I know that you’re in charge of this place, but uh, c’mon, even teachers don’t stay after school.” Because Soryong was looking, or staring at him with blazing glare.

“When did you start keeping track of me?” Soryong said with an extraoridnarily low voice. He knew he shouldn’t have spit this out, but he couldn’t control his nerves anymore.

Sungyeol lifted his face, tried to wrangle with Soryong but his mouth dried up at the time he opened it.  No sound escaped. Only the sound of breathe and heartbeats of two boys sounded all around the small room.

Because Soryong said what Sungyeol had concealed.

The atmosphere got more and more intense.

“Why don’t you answer?”

Sungyeol moved his lips but stil no words came out.

 

Seemed like this situation caught the basketballers’ attention. Some stuck their head into the commentary box.

“Are you two dating in this tiny room? Don’t let the cheerleaders see this or they’ll freak out!” Chuckles turned to loud laughter.

“I assume silence is already your answer. Bye for now. Have a good night, Sungyeol!” Soryong looked away, tidied his stuff and left without looking back. He tried to walk as fast as he could to escape this crazy place.

“Yah Soryong, are you mad at us? We didn’t mean to…” One guy, who was Soryong’s very close friend, caught up him.

“I’m not mad at you guys. I’m already mad.” Soryong grunted.

“Are you mad at Sungyeol? What did he do to you?”

Soryong tried to act normal, but his body swung aside and swated at the friend. “Stop joking! Can you give me a break?”

 

“Hey bro, when I was at lunch, I came up with this idea about our comeback.” Daeryong greeted Soryong with a big grin and planner which just worsened Soryong’s mood.

“Just leave me alone. I’m tired.”

“What happened to you? This is the right time to come back. The winter competition is over. We have a long period of time before the spring season comes.”

But Soryong didn’t listen at all. He stepped right into his room and locked the door.

 

“Hi Daeryong! What’s up?”

“Hi Sungyeol! I just wanna ask about Soryong. He came home very frustrated and somehow furious. What happened to him?”

“Oh, that is? I’m not sure, but maybe he’s sad because he didn’t make it at the Radio Team Audition."

"Oh, oh really? He didn't say I single word to me."

"Maybe he's just pissed. I'm busy at present, can I talk to you later?"

Sungyeol shut the call without saying goodbye.

What is this guy doing?

Is he planning anything aginst us? Everything can't be so coincident. 

What Soryong had said few days ago suddenly popped up in Daeryong's head. 

And he started to think the way Soryong thought.

 

[Flashback 7]

"The City's Excellent sorting contest is coming in the next semester. Every school MUST take part in and choose at least fifty students to participate and the maximum is one hundred, depending on the Departmentod Education's choice due to the number of students. And according to the offical dispatch they sent us this morning, they require 100 since our school is in the largest scale of the number of pupils. So, if will transfer these information in details to each class teacher and they will sort out you guys."

Sungyeol moved closer to Sungkyu and his spot.

"Sungkyu hyung, do you think they will pick you?" 

"Yes they will. Everybody knows Sungkyu is the star in his class!" Woohyun strongly stated.

"If you pass, you'll be awarded." Dongwoo jumps in. 

Sungkyu said nothing but just smiled.

"Anyway, have you thought about your opponents? There are 99 to compete you." said Sungyeol.

Sungkyu just smirks.

"Don't you think there are about 30 more schools to join this contest?"

"Really?"

"But no need to worry. Our school is under the best district, other districts are totally rubbish. By the way, i don't have to worry about my own business, because I'm in the top class. Unlike somebody in the middle classes."

Sungkyu threw a mocking look at Soryong, because he knew that guy would join the contest too. 

 

(Hallway, after school)

Soryong walked to his locker to grab his books home. By the time closed it, in his sight were three schoolboys in messy uniforms and irritating looks.

"What do you want?" said Soryong. 

"Let's go straight to the main thing." said Sungkyu."Tomorrow, they will hand wall rosters of students to compete in the contest. And no ned to guess, there should be you and me. I know you're already busy because of your fame now, so what I want at you, or let's say in an elegant way, recommend you, to fail that contest." Soryong was about to punch Sungkyu in the face with his fist, but Sungkyu stopped him at he right time. "Wait, wait, man! Don't be so vigorous. Drop that useless contest, chill out, and feel life is equal to everybody, because there were, are, and will be people to fail. How can everybody pass? So, easy-peasy, you're still, uhm famous," Sungkyu gave a fanit smirk, "and join everybody. We do too!"

Soryong threw an unexpected punch at Sungkyu which made him almost fall back.

"I warn you," Soryong held up his fist whose knucles turn white, "though they don't know you're playing dirty, and I don't know if you did the same thing to Sungyeol or not, but you'll regret. Trying to eliminate players in this game, aren't you too old for that?"

Soryong turned and left, prentended nothing happened.

Sungkyu's face turned white like the way Soryong's knuckles did.Woohyun and Dongwoo had to hold him real hard so he wouldn't throw himself to Soryong and get in a fight right in the hallway.

"That bastard! Ha, walk away and be noble? Let's who's gonna turn the world upside down!" Sungkyu was about to hold his fist in the ar, but he realized there were many girls and teachers around, so he put his hand down in shame.

[Flashback 8]

(Result day)

It was just a normal day to normal students, but also the hell day to the "100 Squad". Rosters are everywhere in the school. Oohs and Aahhs and Ohhs sounded all the way throughout the building. Passing students jumped up and down to the end of the day. Failing students cried their eyes out because they knew their life would be dumped into hell.. Laughters and sobbing.

"Hey, have you checked the roster for your name?" Sungyeol approached Soryong at the first second he appeared at school.

"I haven't. But what's so important?" What is he doing? He dumped me and now...

"So come with me. I feel something wrong with it."

Since when did he turn to me?

Sungyeol held Soryong's wrist and pulled him to the nearest roster.

"There are more than 60 passing students. They said they just picked 60% of every school." Sungyeol said while panting.

Soryong's eyes rolled down the roster. Jung Soryong, where is it? Kim Sungkyu, Lee Jinha. Where is Jung Soryong?

"I checked it three times. It's no use standing here, dude!" Sungyeol tried to pull Soryong away. His friend came depressed and worried. "I'm...I'm so sorry. For everything I've done. But I want to tell you this."

"Shut up. It's over."

Soryong picked up his backpack and left without turning back. But Sungyeo didn't stay at the scene. He chased after Soryong and grabbed his coat. 

"I'm sorry. For everything. And the contest. It's not your fault, it's somebody else's. You did nothing wrong. And...at least your secret is not revealed." Sungyeol said from the deepest level of his heart, but Soryong just coldly walked away. "Fine! Because you don't stay late after school and you don't work hard enough!"

Stay late?

(The next day)

The spring sport season was coming and it was mind-blowing. New judges, new athletes, and new everything. Commentators were supposed to the teams they commentate for and learn their names. This job was easy-peasy to Soryong, as there is only one swimming team, and the swimmers are all his friends. Staying late was more like an extra recess to them.

 

"Bye Soryong, have a good night!"

"You too. Prepare for the first game tomorrow!" Soryong said loudly.

He picked up his stuff, crammed it into the worn backpack and left the swimming pool. 

Fine! Because you don't stay late after school and you don't work hard enough!

 

Soryong walked pass the parking lot. It was empty, except one car was still parked there. Everybody knows it: the Principal's car. Why is he still here?

He went back to the building. If the Principal is here, some others must be here too. He walked to the Principal office. Lights were off and the door was just loosely close.

Soryong looked around. Nobody. He risked his life once and stepped into the office. It was really dark but thank to the moonlight, he could see a bit and not crash into the desks and things. The office is not big, and everything is not always tidy. Papers were all around the place. He saw stacks of scheldules on the small table and plenty of supplies on the main desk. And one thing caught his attention: the grade table for the recent contest. It was labeled in italics: Grading Committee, Principal of Woollim HIgh School.

What the heck?

Soryong came closer to the desk. Every single grade of the contest was in there, not only students from Woollim. but also students from other schools. He quickly searched for his name. Jung Soryong, OK, here. 97/100. The thing he noticed wasn't the grade, but the rank. He was at 10th position of he whole list, and 3rd in his school. But why wasn't he listed?

Let's see. Lee Jinha, 2nd for Woollim, where is Kim Sungkyu? 72nd? What the heck? Why is he listed but not me? My actual grade is way higher than him. And what is this little star next to his name?

He scrolled down the list. There were also some names with stars too. Those were all below 60th position.

 

"Hey boy! What are you doing in my office?"

Soryong turned back. The principal came back. He's an old plump short man with glasses and mustache. Anybody can recognize him in one glance. 

"Oh, Soryong. Why are you here? You're supposed to leave already!"

"Uhm, I...I just want to ask if you have the name list of the swimming team. You know, we added some swimmers from the rookie class and I don't know them very well."

"You should ask the coach then. But wait, you aren't the commentator for the swimming team anymore." 

"What did you say?" Soryong thought he was deaf or he misheard everything because there is no way he can leave right now.

"You didn't make it at the Excellent sorting contest. Those who didn't make it are automatically removed from any of their position in school organizations. I haven't officially announced this to the whole school yet."

Soryong felt he was standing upside down and his vision were gradually blurring. His mouth dried up and his brain shattered.

"Oh...oh really. The coach...hasn't told me. Thank you...for that. I'm leaving. Have a good evening, sir." He bowed 90 degrees and left.

(The next day)

Soryong tiredly dragged his bag out of the class. In his head, there was only the vision of coming home after a tiring day at school, eating with Daeryong and doing homework. He was so frustrated about about the fact he discovered the day before and it distracted him at school. He couldn't stay focused and keep wondering who he was that the principal underestimated and mistreated him so badly.

He shuffled to his locker to threw heavy books in. As he opened it, a hand punched the locker door back to close.

"What the..." Soryong sharply turned back.

"What an underling's locker! I hurts me." Sungkyu alone stood right behind Soryong, rubbing his knuckles in a cheeky attitude. "So, haven't met you for a few days, haven't said I'm sorry and I feel pitiful for you. It's so bad that spectators can't hear your voice anymore..."

Sungkyu hadn't finished his sentence when Soryong threw him a punch right at the face and couldn't help shouting profanely.

"YOU THINK YOU'RE COOL WHEN YOU PASSED THAT DAMN CONTEST? YOU'RE RICH, EVERYBODY KNOWS. YOU'RE POPULAR, EVERYBODY KNOWS. I TELL YOU, YES, IN FRONT OF THESE STUDENTS, THAT YOU ARE JUST A JERK WHO CAN ONLY USES MONEY AND POWER TO MANIPULATE OTHERS!"

"YES, YES I AM! AND SO WHAT?"

No sooner Sungkyu finishes than the pricipal (again) appeared right in sight.

"Hey you! Kim Sungkyu, Jung Soryong! What are you think you're doing? Fighting and cursing right in the hall? To the detention hall, right now!"

 

The two were escorted to the detention hall and had to listen to a boring long lecture about how they represented the school to join the contest and Sunkyu won it and Soryong didn't and how they were nullifying the school's good reputation.

After an hour, Sungkyu was sent to an empty classroom to be punished writing 500 times the sentence 'I must be a good student.' Soryong was sent to another room to polish school medals and trophies under supervising. 

(8PM)

Soryong brought the medals and trophies back to the principal's office. That bastard got away with 15 pages of terrible handwriting. He sighed. 

The principal let the door unlocked. He must be somewhere with those upper-class people again. Soryong opened the glass cabinet and carefully placed each medal in. After a while, he left the office with numb tiring hands and head.

Yes, yes I am! And so what?

Soryong turned back. Did Sungkyu imply that he actually used money to fix this contest? Soryong searched through the cabinets again and found the actual ranking packet. Ha, so that is what the star marks mean!

Soryong gave a scornful smirk and put everything back in the cabinet.

(That night, at the twin's house)

"Why are you so late?" Daeryong appeared at the door. 

"I had a detention."

"WTF? For what?"

"It's such a long story...but I don't want to tell you. I need to dig in something right now."

"Stop!" Daeryong stood in the way. "Why don't you tell me? Am I your brother or not?"

"Sorry, I'll tell you later."

"Don't think I know nothing! I know you didn't make it at the contest, but that attitude is not what you should treat your brother, ok?"

 

(Flashback 9)

(A day in the end of April)

The Woollim Middle school sent some of their best students to Woollim High School for polling about the high school and preparing for their upcoming years. There were 20 boys and 20 girls. After a meeting, they were let to see around.

(In the boys' restroom)

One middle-schooler went in and was pulled into one room by somebody, obviously a high-schooler. 

"Hey, what are you up to with me?" He almost yelled. Fortunately/Unfortunately, there was nobody else in the area.

"Listen kid, there's no time to hang out with you. (look at the badge) Kim Myungsoo, this place is not the heaven like people think. If you actually want to be here next year, remember to be careful with everybody and not to flock with them. You may see me again next year, and I'll tell you what you want, after you've had enough. Now go." 

The high-schooler pushed Myungsoo out of the room and locked the door. Myungsoo could hardly understand what that person said, he could only remember the name on the badge: Jung Soryong.

(At lunch, when middle-schoolers and high-schoolers can sit together.)

"Hey, hey, calm down crowd."

"Let me see, let me see!"

"Woah, that middle-school boy looks so handsome."

"Will they be here next year?"

"Why does the middle school spend the whole day to this?"

"Hey, kid, come sit with us!"

A good-looking middle-schooler came to the table with the people called him.

"Hi kid, I'm Kim Sungkyu, the school King. What's your name?"

'Don't call me kid!"

"Haiz, there is no need to ask either. Your badge says you're Kim Myungsoo, right?" Dongwoo cuts in. "If you take Chemistry next year, you must know me. Jang Dongwoo, nice to meet you!" Dongwo offered his hand.

Myungsoo shook Dongwoo's hand awkwardly.

"So, how do you feel about the school?" Woohyun asks.

"It's pretty good, I like it." Myungsoo gave a smile.

"You only see the external." Sungyeol said.

"Yeah, until you are an actual student here. You'll find a lot of fun with us. Wanna see around?"

"Let's go!" Dongwoo jumps up and declared.

 

(From a far corner)

What a kid! He gave up what I told him.

 

(Flashback 9)

(A day in the end of May)

"Hey, why are you so sad, brother?" Daeryong found Soryong sitting alone on the stairs behind the stage.

"I'm tired. I'm frustrated. I'm...useless."

"Wait, what? What are you talking about?"

"School. Tell me, am I...anything?"

"Shut up, kid! You're my brother, OK? This is our night! This is the opening night for our Summer tour. What are you thinking?

"Never mind." Soryong sighed. "Let's go. It's one minute to showtime."

 

(That night)

"Quick, quick, get him out of the water!"

"What's happening?"

"Is he drowning himeslf?

"What the heck? Soryong is the master of this trick!"

 

(The next day)

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Woollim High School, to the End of year ceremony. Today, we will look back uor wonderful schoolyear and name students who accomplished great achievements throughout the year..."

 

"Yes, now to the exciting part. We bring you successful students from the Excellent Students Sorting Contest! And for unsuccesful students, we hope you will do better next year. Please give an applause to Kang Sori, Jung Soryong, Kim Hyesung,..."

 

"Hey," Sungyeol tapped Woohyun, "have you seen Soryong?"

"Why do you look for that loser? No, I don't see him anywhere. Maybe he's at home crying!"