Two's company, three's a crowd

Horror school I: 7 School myths

Two's company, three's a crowd:

Sometimes, two people are supposed to be left alone toghether.

Sungyeol and the swimming pool

Sungyeol tried to reach a bit further. He pushed himself downward to get nearer to the light. His shirt was all wet then and the water was about to soak his back too. The damp air in the room even made it more uncomfortable.

 

He crept a bit more. "Does Sungjong know what I am doing now? I hope not."

But Sungjong did present or not did not matter.

Because there was one more person there locked the commentary box and blocked Sungjong's sight. And Sungjong was not even conscious to know what was happening.

"It's not OK. It is so deep!" Sungyeol suddenly voiced.

"So let me help you!"

A voice from no where appeared. Sungyeol felt his head grabbed by somebody's wet and slimey hand and drowned in the water. 

SPLASH.

He tried to resist that hand. But seemed like that person didn't want to let him go. Another hand grabbed his neck and pushed him lower down the pool.

It couldn't be Sungjong. No, not him. Sungyeol knew too well that Sungjong was alllergic to javel water and bleach. His skin would bleed and burn quite bad if he ever touched pool water.

It couldn't be Myungsoo as well. If he went all the way downstairs, Sungyeol should have heard his foot steps.

Others? No way, they only had one entrance to reach him. None of them were in the swimming team, but even if they got in by that way, he must have seen them around.

That person pushed him stronger and stronger. Sungyeol thought he was close enough to reach that unpleaseant thing: that damn PHOTO stuck in the underwater light. He could have touched it and taken it away if his hands were free from trying to escape.

Sungyeol was really on the edge then. He could fall into the pool at anytime. But falling or not falling wasn't a problem, because he nearly suffocated in the water. His eyes opened wider as his hand tried harder to break away.

The young Sungyeol in the photo stared back at him. He was smiling happily, along with two of his best friends.

 

[Flashback 1]

Sungyeol wandered around the Dongim campus with the school map on his hand.

"Freak school! Complicated like a maze! I should have chosen Woollim High instead. Omma! Do you want your son get lost in the building like this?"

He sat down on a bench in the courtyard and looked straight up the sky. School had never been fun for him. He closed his eyes and planned to skip a class.

 

"Boy, are you lost? Or just wanna skip class?" 

He opened his eyes. It was a very tall boy. He must be a 12-grade student.

"Uhm, yeah, I'm lost." He hesitated a while before answering cause he himself was in both situations. "I can't find room H309." 

"So you should have been in the building, not outside!" The boy answered with a quite disappointing tone. "It is in the Math corridors and is written right on the map."

"But I can't find exactly that room."

"Sorry, H309 is on the third floor but there are only two floors on the map. Can I walk you there? You might have missed half of the class. It is 11-graders' lunch. Yours will be in next 15 minutes."

"So you are in grade 11?"

"Yes. But everybody mistakes that I'm in grade 12, because of my height. I'm Jung Daeryong." The put his hand out for Sungyeol.

Sungyeol shook Daeryong's hand. He noticed several cuts, bruises and burns but didn't ask about them.

"I'm Lee Sungyeol, new student, grade 10."

"I know, new students need time to get used to the building. I've been here since last year and I came in the same situation like you. But you'll be fine soon."

 

After a few weeks, Sungyeol got used to the building and walked from this place to another very easily. He also found out about injuries in Daeryong's hands: he was in the Chemistry team of the school. As he had to do many experiments, he caused himself quite a lot of accidents. That's why he was talented but underrated. 

Two boys quickly grew on each other. Their classes were close and they meet every morning. Sungyeol knew half of the Chemistry team and Daeryong knew all of Sungyeol's friends. They exchanged phone numbers, Twitter accounts and anything they could. But everything was going well then Sungyeol had to change school after 2 months because his parents' divorce case had been officially done and he had to live with his dad's apartment, which was very close to Woollim High. He didn't have enough time to tell Daeryong that he was about to leave.

 

"Now I have to study another emormous building. This place is even bigger than Dongim Academy. At least simpler."

Sungyeol met a student called Nam Woohyun and found out he was on a election to be the prefect of a class (they weren't in the same class). He also got on well with a guy named Kim Sungkyu who was in the school band and was also a prefect, another guy known as Dino. His real name was Jang Dongwoo but his mate called him so since he was such a forgetful and careless chemist. Dongwoo reminded Sungyeol about Daeryong so much, but he couldn't even send a message to Daryong because the schedule at Woollim drove him crazy with so much work. 

He hung round with those three for few months and  discovered so many he hadn't known about Woollim. Until one lunchtime...

 

"Yah Dongwoo-hyung, can you help me with my homework? If I can't complete it until the last class of the day, there will be another zero in my gradebook." Sungyeol also lied down on the table and showed Dongwoo his notes.

"Let me see." Dongwoo e page to another many times, then he said. "No wonder you can't do your work. You didn't take enough notes! Did you sleep in class or something?" 

"..." Sungyeol didn't answer. Or he couldn't answer. His mind focused on another target.

"Hey where are you looking at?" Sungkyu waved his hand in front of Sungyeol.

"Do you know the boy sitting in that corner?" Sungyeol pointed to a boy especially tall, sitting with two other students.

"Ah~, that guy." Woohyun said with a mocking voice. "He is Jung Soryong, 11-grader. He is kinda everything in the school."

"A chemist, a footballer, an annoying dude, a bully target!" Continued Sungkyu. And the whole burst into laughter, except Sungyeol. He didn't understand what was there to laugh at. He couldn't believe that Soryong could be bullied, simply because he was really tall. And if he was a footballer at school, he should be somehow famous, not bullied. 

"What do you mean by 'bully target'?" Asked Sungyeol. 

"First, he takes part in the election for the leader position of Chemistry team, which mean he is my, quite an ememy now." Dongwoo said with his fingernail up in the air. "Second, he can't have enough votes for him. He doesn't gain much popularity during this time. He just doesn't know how to attract people."

"You haven't seen him in the football team. Neither have I, actually. But I don't think he isn't that talented. He quitted this year after a year of being a trainee so he hasn't proved his skills yet." Woohyun added in.

"That's why he can't impress anyone to have more votes, right?" Sungkyu gave a stern smirk. "He was more popular last year than now."

"But why would you pay attention to him?" Woohyun asked.

"No. Not at all. Cuz he sat right in my sight, right? And he is really tall too!"

"Well your height isn't bad at all, chingu!"

 

The actual reason Sungyeol paid attention at Soryong wasn't his height. But Soryong looked exactly like Daeryong. Exactly. Like TWINS.

 

[Flashback 2]

(4PM, after school)

Sungyeol hid in a corridor corner. He waited until Soryong appeared at his locker. After an hour, Soryong finally showed up at his locker in a tired manner. "The Science Festival is driving me crazy." Soryong muttered.

"There you are, Jung Soryong. I've stood here for ages."

Soryong was quite shocked when he saw a stranger standing waiting for him.

"Uhm, who are you? How did you know my locker?"

"Keep calm, hyung. I come in peace, OK? I'm just a new student and I won't do harm to you. I'm Lee Sungyeol."

"I don't care who you are or why you know. I just wanna know why you find me for." Soryong looked at Sungyeol with steely eyes. Why does this boy want to find me. I've had enough trouble. 

"Let me go straight into the main subject. I've just been here for two months but I first saw you yesterday lunch. But before that, I was in Dongim Academy." Sungyeol noticed little change on Soryong grim face. "And you know what, I was very close to a guy. His name is Jung Daeryong." Soryong's eyes were now widely opened. "You two share the same birthday, same age and somehow alike names. But what I'm interested in is that you two also share the same appearance." Soryong's lips slightly shook. Sungyeol continued. "I know there are namy people that look alike in the world. But this case is an exception. Daeryong's has never told me that he has a sibling. So what?" Sungyeol even showed him a photo he took with Daeryong at Dongim building.

Soryong let out a sigh.

"How did you know him?"

 

[Flashback 3] (At the city park)

"So you two are twins  for real???" Sungyeol leaned back on the chair and smiled like a dork. "Why don't you, I mean Daeryong, why didn't you tell me that there is a 2.0 version of you studying in a super famous school in the other end of the city?"

"Cuz you've never asked!" Daeryong grinned like he was totally innocent.

"NO! I'm serious. This is important!"

The twins looked at each other, having no idea what Sungyeol implied.

"I remember Soryong's face when he heard about Dongim Academy and Daeryong. If it is no deal, why was he amazed? And remember what you told me after that, Soryong? How did you know him? Remember?"

Daeryong was about to reply, but he didn't let out a word. They three stayed quiet for a long while.

 

It was Daeryong that broke the silence. 

"I don't know that someday our secret is revealed by my best friend, Soryong-ah!"

"Finally. So tell me!" Sungyeol was too eager to hear their story.

"Our mother died when we were at young age. Our father couldn't afford high High school fees, so we had to compete to win scholarships from Woollim High, the place our mother had always wanted us to go to." Soryong started.

"We din't know that the governing system of the school is corrupt. They sold Entrance Test to rich kids to get more sponsor for the school. There were five prizes. But seven had been sold. Soryong could luckily get one as he scored the first place." Daeryong continued.

"As Daeryong missed the only chance of his life, he chose a cheaper school to go to, far at the other end of the ciy. To cover the truth that his talent couldn't beat those wealthy people, and his twin had to keep this secret as he doesn't want to be tease at school." Soryong ended the story in a really sad tone.

"But you are wrong Soryong-ah!" Sungyeol sopke up. "You guys can be never hold any secret long. What is done by night, appears by day. See, Soryong is bullied at school. I don't know why, I've just known you for three days. And Daeryong, keeping such an important secret of your best friend is not a very good thing, you know!"

 

[Flashback 4]

Sungyeol tiredly left the office. He had been a trainee for the dubbing department at the television station since he studied at Woollim. His music teacher recognized his talent when he prepared for his class’s play and she recommended him to do something with it. But no one could believe he managed to end up at the television.

On the way out, he turned into the manager’s office to receive his grades for the last two weeks.

The door was lock. That was weird, the human resource manager never locked his door. Unless he was having a VERY important meeting. It’s not the end of three-month term yet. The boss can’t be here yet.

After 15 minutes, the door opened, let out two people wearing thick sweaters and scarves covering most of their faces. It was freezing cold outside and it was late at night too, but the heater was still working in the building. Are they going to walk home?

But then, Sungyeol realized they were somebody very close to him. That blue scarf he had seen like everyday. Those worn-out shoes. And moreover, this was not the first time he had seen them in the building.

The next week, Sungyeol returned to the office and found several wall posters about a talent competition EVERYWHERE in the building. He had never paid attention to events before, cause anyway, he was a trainee, and a trainee should have their work done, not focusing on something else out of track.

“Good morning, Mr.Kim (the manager)!”

“You too, Sungyeol. How do you do?”

“I have one thing to ask. What is with those posters?”

“Ah~, that is the talent competition, inspired by the reality show department. We need to increase rating and raise budget, as well as popularity too.”

“Oh, I got it. So has it ended yet?”

“It’s just ended last week. The winner is a pair of magicians called Tasty. I met them last Friday to discuss about a short-term contract with them.”

“What kind of contract?”

“If we make it, they will perform here in the studio and make us money!”

“Ah~ so that’s the purpose of the competition.”

“But why do you ask too much today? It’s none of your business!”

“Ain’t I suppose to get information?”

“OK, never mind. And keep up with your work. Have a good day!”

 

“Goodbye everybody!”

“Have a good sleep!”

“You guys did a great job, Tasty!”

“Tasty is our new star at the studio!”

The dubbing team had their work done with Tasty.While everybody was still saying goodbye or chatting, Sungyeol made his way to the changing room, in quiet. There was nobody, except him and the Tasty couple. Why they haven’t changed their clothes? Still those shoes! Or they’re actually…

Pretending to wash his face, he tried to have a conversation with them.

“Hi guys! I’m Lee Sungyeol, in the dubbing team. You guys did a great job!”

“Uhm, thank you.” One of them answer. “You too.”

“OK, we should stop the game right here. Daeryong, Soryong, I’m not easily fooled!”

It was then that they could take of their masks and cover.

“How can you know it is us?” Said Soryong.

“I know you guys too well! How can I forget your old shoes with your signature on it? Your cover is not that perfect!”

“So now you know our second biggest secret. What are you going to do with it?” Said Daeryong with an ironic tone.

“Like helping you guys! What else can I do?” Sungyeol shrugged his shoulders.

“Help us?” The twins looked at each other in surprise.

“It is a disadvantage for you guys not to have other abilities than playing with chemical stuff. I know it is your style, but why don’t you add some effects into it? Like dub it, give computer effects, and sell your videos. You signed the contract, I guessed, so they will let you use the studio alone for practice performances. GET OUT OF THE BOX, GUYS! ROCK IT UP!”

 

With Sungyeol’s help as an assistant (and a secret-keeper), Tasty became famous in no time. Their popularity rose day by day, not only on television, but also on Youtube, social networks, news, and magazines as well. All of those happened in only a few months. But during that time, not long since Tasty signed the contract, Sungyeol withdrew his job at the office (“My dad complains about my grades at school.”). But Tasty’s work still got on well anyway. Soryong also stood out from the Woollim crowd as well. At the end of the first semester, he was elected as the commentator for basketball matches and became one of best candidates for the leader position of Chemistry club. But everything seemed worse since then.

 

[Flashback 5]

It was the third basketball Soryong had commentated so far. But work at school and work for his career drove him crazy so fast. It's the price.

One day, Soryong went to the school office to withdraw the work at commentary box to prepare for the Chemistry leader election.

"Uh, Sungyeol! Why are you here?"

"It's so good to come across you here. I got the position of commentator for swimming competitions!"

"Woah!" Sungyeol noticed a slight change in Soryong face. Seemed like he just pretended to be happy. "How did you made it? I think the commentator for swimming is Kang Hajun, isn't it?"

"Yes, he is, but he left the job because he needs to focus on studying. And you, why are you here?"

"I might leave my job as well." Soryong answered with an unstable voice.

"Yeah, I know. You're under a lot of pressure. Dropping a spot you don't like is good for you, anyway." Sungyeol flicked his hand and left without saying anything else.

What the heck is he thinking?

 

"Your request is declined. I'm sorry to tell you." The staff came out of the office and handed Soryong the form with a big red DECLINED stamp.

"Why?" He looked at the form with confusion and disappointment written on his face.

"There isn't anybody to substitute you for this position. Hajun could leave because there's Sungyeol to do his job. But nobody is here yet to handle your position. You should wait for a week or two so there may be someone interested in the job and take it for you."

 

"The whole story is like that. Can you save my life, hyung?" Soryong threw himself on the bed after telling what had happened to Daeryong. "January is coming and there are 10  matches going on. And 4 of our projects are still not plannen well and another 3 are pending."

"At least your school allow person to leave with somebody taking the job LEGALLY. At my damn school, they just dump the old person and get a new one considered "better". I've been the presentator for Chemistry projects for a year and a half and they kicked me out of the team because I accidentally failed an experiment."

"And there is one thing I've been suspecting since we met Sungyeol, is he planning something against us?"

Daeryong looked at his twin for a second and hesitated.

"What's the matter?" He squinted.

"I'm not sure about this. But everything can't be so coincident."

"What is coincident? You're making no sense!"

"I am, hyung-ah!" Soryong held his brother's shoulders tight. "Do you ever question yourself why Sungyeol is so generous to us? He befriends you, found out me, happened at the television station and helped us for nothing in return and then disappeared! What does he want? Does he know what we actually want?"

Daeryong stood dumbfounded. He actualy never thught of why Sungyeol offered them so much help but all fame belonged to them, not the behind-the-scene person. Sungyeol was a bit, well, eccentric, but he was very nice, very detailed, very...curious. 

"Don't you listen to me?" Soryong shook Daeryong's shoulders. Daeryng really wanted to answer something, even just a short word "Yes", he couldn't. Confusion overwhelmed him.

"It's OK if you don't want to listen. I'm going to bed. Good night!" Soryong left and slammed the door shut. The sad short conversation ended. 

(To be continued)


Sorry readers because of the long delay. I was too busy with school and my personal life. But I found time to post again. 

Each time I come up with an idea for what will happen next, I need straight one or two to completely finish it, to empty my brain for the next chapters.

So anyway, new chapters coming soon. I halfly finish 17 and 18, so there will be a double update next time! Yay!

Spoiler alert: Chapter 17: Two-faced (part 2): What will happen between the twins and Sungyeol? What secret is Sungyeol holding? What about the twins identity and fame at school?