2/27

Our Sound

Woohyun watched as Sunggyu walked out of his college campus and out of the main gate. He had finished class about two hours earlier so he decided to meet up with his boyfriend once he was done. The light haired man had his earbuds in and didn't seem to notice Woohyun standing in the shade of a tree. With a sigh, he straightened up and strode over to the oblivious Sunggyu, tapping him on the shoulder.

 

"What are you doing here?" The man asked, taking one earbud out. Woohyun noticed that Sunggyu was carrying a load of books, a backpack, and a messenger bag. Without thinking of where he was or who was watching, he took the books from Sunggyu's arms and slung the messenger bag over his shoulder, leaving the other with only his backpack. The light haired man looked thankful and began walking.

 

"So, why are you here again?" He asked, making sure Woohyun would answer this time. The other shrugged and flicked his hair out of his dark eyes.

 

"I thought we could do something." He said casually. Sunggyu gave him a weird look but went along with it.

 

"What do you suppose we do?" He raised an eyebrow. The dark haired man thought for a bit before coming to a halt. Sunggyu took a step ahead before turning around to face Woohyun.

 

"First we should drop your stuff down at your house." He replied, avoiding the topic. Woohyun had a place in mind and he planned to keep it a secret until they got there. It wasn't just a normal date, after all. Sunggyu nodded and they continued walking back to the Kim's mansion.

 

Behind them, someone watched from the school gate as they grew further and further away into the distance. Woohyun glanced back and spotted a figure staring at them as they walked. Brushing it off, he returned his gaze back in front of him as he and Sunggyu talked about their day.

 

As they neared the house, the light haired man asked for the thousandth time about where they were going, to which Woohyun responded with a hum.

 

"You have to tell me! I won't go if you don't." Sunggyu started to get impatient with his boyfriend's passive responses. Woohyun looked amused as the light haired man began to pout. Sunggyu wasn't one to use aegyo unless the time called for it. They eventually walked up the Kim's front porch, where Sunggyu continued to whine.

 

One of the maids greeted them as the door opened. The light haired man took back all of his books and his bag before rushing up the stairs to drop them off in his room. Woohyun waited awkwardly outside, unsure if he was supposed to go in or not. The maid stared him up and down before returning back to work. The dark haired man recognized her to be the same maid from a week ago.

 

After a while of waiting, Woohyun put a hand in his jacket pocket and felt for the tickets. He wanted to make sure they were still there because otherwise, his whole date would have been ruined. He quickly retracted his hand when he heard Sunggyu come down the stairs in a hurry.

 

"Sorry, I had to call my mom and tell I'd be out for a bit." He said as he approached the door. Woohyun nodded and started to walk out onto the driveway, the light haired man closing the door and following suit. They walked to a bus stop and sat down under the shelter. The sun was blazing down on them, even though it was still early spring.

 

"So…" Sunggyu started again, "where are we going?" Woohyun sighed and glared at him. The light haired man held his hands up in surrender and silenced himself. The other returned his gaze to the street as they waited for the bus to show up. A couple of minutes passed by before one of them decided to speak up.

 

"I hope you got all of your work done." Woohyun commented. Sunggyu eyed him with a quizzical stare.

 

"…Why?" He was starting to get suspicious. The other man hummed.

 

"Because I don't think you will be able to focus after this." He smirked as Sunggyu continued to stare at him. He kept his eyes glued to the road, hoping to keep the surprise a secret. Finally, the bus arrived and they boarded. Sitting down near the back, the two college students talked about anything and everything until the ride was nearly over.

 

Woohyun halted their conversation on what pizza toppings they liked best when a certain stop flashed across the screen. The bus driver called out that they were reaching Sejong Center. The two men stood up and hopped off the air-conditioned bus and back into the day's heat. Sunggyu looked around at the neighborhood and couldn't recognize anything.

 

He was about to ask something, but Woohyun started walking away. He quickly caught up, not wanting to get lost. The streets were littered with couples and groups of friends. Sunggyu looked up at where the dark haired man was heading and nearly fainted. A giant banner with a symbol he knew very well was hung from the rafters of the building.

 

"Nell?" Sunggyu uttered in shock, at a loss for more words. Woohyun secretly let out a smile before taking the light haired man's hand and leading him away from the entrance of the building. Sunggyu felt his heart drop as he was led farther and farther from the front of the center.

 

"Come on, what are you doing?" Woohyun called and Sunggyu paused mid-step.

 

"Uh, nothing." He replied, forcing his eyes off of the poster. He couldn't help but feel disappointed that Woohyun wasn't taking him to the Nell performance. Looking around now, Sunggyu realized that the people standing outside were waiting for the concert to start. He blinked rapidly and tried to think positive. If Woohyun dared bring him to a place where he could see Nell and not take him to it, there must have been a better thing waiting for him.

 

The dark haired man led Sunggyu around the building and to a back entrance. Sunggyu was too numb to realize what they were doing until Woohyun dropped his hand and reached into his pocket.

 

"Tickets." A guard stationed at the door said. The dark haired man pulled out two slips of paper that Sunggyu barely caught a glance at. Either way, a sudden lift of spirits left the light haired man giddy to know what was behind that back entrance. Woohyun looked his boyfriend out of the corner of his eye as the guard unlocked the door and ushered them in.

 

Inside, the two walked through a white marble hallway until Woohyun stopped at a specific door. Sunggyu turned towards it and read the sign that was taped to the wall next to it. He read out the four English letters he knew by heart and gasped. Woohyun openly smiled and even let out a laugh as Sunggyu shook his arm violently.

 

"You're kidding. We are – we're going to meet the band?!" He shouted under his breath, not wanting to make too much noise in a place like this. The dark haired man slung an arm around Sunggyu's shoulders to calm him down. It didn't work. The light haired man just continued to stutter out a thank you before wringing the hem of his shirt in nervousness.

 

"I just came from school. I probably look like trash." He whispered to himself as his eyes went wide. "What if they don't like me?" He looked at Woohyun, terrified. That look made the dark haired man loose his cool and he broke out in laughter. His eyes formed crescent moons as his smile reached his cheeks. In any other case, Sunggyu would have stared at the man's face until the image burned into his brain. But at a time like this, all he could do was shrug Woohyun's arm off of him and take deep breaths.

 

"Alright, let's knock." The dark haired man finally said, calming down from his laughter. Sunggyu nodded quickly before stepping behind his boyfriend, scared to show himself to his favorite artists. After a brief knock, the door swung open and Sunggyu felt his heart skip a beat.

 

"Hello." Woohyun greeted politely. The man smiled and welcomed them in. The dark haired man entered with his boyfriend glued to his back. "I am Nam Woohyun and this is my friend, who is also probably your biggest fan, Kim Sunggyu." He introduced to the group of four men present. Sunggyu peaked out and scanned each face before giving a short wave. A short chuckle escaped some of the members as they watched their fanboy slowly come into view.

 

"Nice to meet you two." One man smiled. Woohyun felt guilty for not knowing the members of the group as well as he should. The man was wearing glasses and his dyed brown hair was swept to the side neatly. The older man's confidant voice lead him to guess it was Jongwan, but he couldn't be sure. Woohyun looked to Sunggyu for help.

 

"Nice to meet you, too, Jongwan." He said, a waver evident in his voice. "When does your concert start?" He asked, trying not to let the silence drag out to long.

 

"In about fifteen minutes." Another man spoke up. Woohyun looked at him and could barely tell that it was the guitarist Jaekyung. Sunggyu nodded and twisted in his spot awkwardly.

 

"How about we get your signatures?" Woohyun suggested, holding up a blank sheet of paper. The four men nodded and the dark haired man approached them with the paper and a black sharpie. "Here, Sunggyu." He passed the paper to his boyfriend as he pulled out something for himself. As Sunggyu busied himself with taking autographs, Woohyun pulled out his new diary and flipped to the first blank page – which was the third page of the book since he hadn't been using it. He walked over to Jongwan and passed the diary to him.

 

"Can I make a request?" Woohyun asked, uncertain. The man gave him a smile and nodded. "Then can you please write a note to Sunggyu? He's done so much for me, and I wanted his hero to give him a little encouragement if he ever needs it." Woohyun explained as Jongwan took a pen.

 

"Of course." The older man said before he began writing. Half a minute passed before he handed it back. Woohyun grinned and closed the book without reading the note. It was meant for Sunggyu only.

 

"Thank you." The dark haired man mouthed as Sunggyu approached with his paper filled with signatures. The biggest smile Woohyun had ever seen was etched into his boyfriend's features. They said their thank you's and Nell bowed for them.

 

"Stage starts in five minutes. Band members to the stage." An important looking woman opened the door and said.

 

"I guess it's our cue to head to the audience." Woohyun noted. They smiled one last time to each other before filing out of the room. Sunggyu let out a squeal when he exited in between Junghoon and Jaewon. Embarrassed, he rushed to one side of the hallway and waited for Woohyun to exit as well before clinging to him like a koala.

 

"Good luck!" The light haired man said as he put both thumbs up. The members of Nell laughed and thanked them before taking their instruments and heading to the stage. Once they were out of sight, Woohyun took Sunggyu's hand and they walked further down the hall to a large glass door that pointed to the lobby of the building.

 

"I can't believe that happened." The light haired man stated in shock. Woohyun looked at him with a smirk. It was all thanks to Sunggyu, after all. After Woohyun looked up the song his boyfriend was humming on their date, he discovered the company's homepage, which had information on Nell's new concert called 'Nell's Room'. Lucky for him, he bought the tickets as soon as they began to sell. Since Nell wasn't a mainstream band, Woohyun easily bought backstage passes along with good seats in the audience.

 

"How did you do all of this?" Sunggyu asked, unconsciously tracing a finger over their entwined hands. The dark haired man merely faced forward.

 

"Magic." He said simply. They entered the crowded auditorium and found their seats. The stage was empty except for the microphone stands and drum set in the back. Woohyun glanced around the sea of red seats and double-checked that they were in the right row. After a while, the lights dimmed and the room fell into silent anticipation.

 

A steady beat of from the symbols of the drum echoed throughout the room before the lights and the melodic strums of an acoustic guitar filled the silence. A cheer erupted from the crowd as Jongwan stepped up to the mic, taking in a breath before letting out his soothing voice. With the Jongwan's eyes closed and Sunggyu singing along in bliss, the concert went on, drowning out the outside world with nothing but music and passion.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Sunggyu is cute. Also, happy birthday to Myungsoo! You didn't appear in this chapter but you will in upcoming ones, so don't be sad! Wow this one is kind of long, but I wanted the concert to be all in one chapter. Uh, how are you guys liking it so far? It's going to be cute dates like this to give you the Woogyu you've been waiting for. But wait, who was the guy watching them leave school? Is he important somehow? Who know~ ^^