6/20

Our Sound

Woohyun closed his eyes as he leaned on the wall separating the dining section of the restaurant from the kitchen entrance. It had been a few days since Sunggyu had gotten Baekhyun to tell his story. Ever since then, the dark haired man had eyed the table they had sat in, remembering bits and pieces of their conversation.

 

~~~~

 

"I met Woohyun during the fourth year of elementary school. I had a best friend back then. We were very close and I developed a tiny baby crush on him." Baekhyun started.

 

"Him as in Chanyeol?" Sunggyu cut in. Baekhyun didn't respond immediately to the statement and Woohyun could tell he was shocked.

 

"Yeah, Chanyeol. It seems you already got a briefing on him." Baekhyun hummed. Sunggyu made a sound of agreement, urging the other to continue. "Well, I got to know Chanyeol really well and my baby crush grew into more of a puppy love than anything." Baekhyun's voice sounded lighthearted, as if memories of the man made him smile.

 

"But then Woohyun came along. He was always the one timid kid in the class. He was nice and polite and caring and Chanyeol began to hang out with him. I was upset that my crush stopped paying attention to me so I talked to him about it. Of course, we were so young and stupid that Chanyeol got angry at me and refused to be my friend anymore." Baekhyun no longer had that cheery edge to his voice. All that was left was plain and utter loath.

 

"And then he became Woohyun's best friend?" Sunggyu asked, which sounded more of a statement than anything. Baekhyun sighed and mumbled something that Woohyun couldn't make out from his hiding spot.

 

He was surprised; he had never heard or bothered thinking of Baekhyun's side of the story. Of course he had a crush on Chanyeol; everyone in the school did at one point or another. As Baekhyun described his feelings as puppy love, Woohyun thought back to his old crush, wondering if it was puppy love or just plain curiosity. There was something nudging him in the back of his mind, though, even after focusing back in on their conversation.

 

Chanyeol's best friend's name wasn't Baekhyun.

 

"Woohyun stole my close friend and my first love. I didn't know what to think or do at the time, so I told a group of boys I hung out with at lunch sometimes. They...I didn't think they would do anything, but it became the hottest news in school within days and, well, I'm sure he filled you in on what happened next." Baekhyun said, finishing the first part of his story. Sunggyu cleared his throat as an awkward silence ensued.

 

"So neither of you guys is lying, then." He spoke after a pause. Woohyun wanted to turn around and see Sunggyu's expression, but knew it was best that he remained hidden. He tilted his head to one side. Did their food arrive and they were eating? Is that why they paused every once in a while?

 

"Is that all you wanted to go over?" Baekhyun's voice came. He sounded like his usual cheery self and Woohyun couldn't tell if he was faking or not. "I, uh, have someone to meet soon."

 

"I don't want to keep you any longer than I should." Sunggyu voiced. Baekhyun let out a giggle.

 

"No, it's fine. I like spending time alone with you." He said. Woohyun blinked and stopped messing around on his phone. His eyes moved to look over his shoulder but his head didn't move. Sunggyu remained quiet for a while and Woohyun strained to hear any response from him.

 

"Okay, I'd like to know how Woohyun stole your friend's heart in high school. He was in America at the time." Sunggyu said, getting back onto the topic of their past. Woohyun sighed to himself and began flipping through his phone again. At least Sunggyu knew how to keep things in his control. Maybe if he searched for a Park Chanyeol on the web, he would find something.

 

The two around the corner continued to discuss Baekhyun's past, but Woohyun had zoned out, instead, focusing on the webpages that popped up on his phone. Park Chanyeol…was in a ferret club? Woohyun raised an eyebrow at the little boy in the blurry picture holding the long creature. That was his Chanyeol, all right. That picture must have been after he transferred schools. The dark haired man was almost tempted to come out of hiding and show that swan what he had found online.

 

"So you, your Chinese friend, and Woohyun all went to the same high school for senior year." Sunggyu confirmed loud enough for Woohyun to snap out of his staring contest with the ferret. Baekhyun mumbled in agreement before going on.

 

"Xi Luhan." He said, voice dropping an octave from his regular happy tone. Woohyun looked up in shock. Xi…Luhan? Did he just say Luhan? How did Baekhyun know about Luhan? Even Boohyun didn't know about him. Woohyun felt his throat run dry and he accidently let his phone slip out of his hands and onto the table. His heartbeat rang in his ears as he thought back to that man.

 

"What was his connection to Woohyun?" Sunggyu asked. He was completely unaware of the feelings rushing into Woohyun. Baekhyun sighed and put his chopsticks down onto the table with a clack.

 

"I thought Woohyun was gone in my life after elementary school. One day, my boyfriend Luhan started talking nonstop of a cute guy he saw walking around on campus. He gossiped about this handsome stranger to me everyday and I watched as he soon became obsessed with him." Baekhyun admitted. Woohyun sighed, so Luhan was his boyfriend back then and not his best friend.

 

"And that man was Woohyun?" Sunggyu guessed.

 

"Luhan dumped me soon after that, saying I wasn't his type. He fell in love with this cute guy who was incredibly unapproachable and quiet with a glare like a knife." Baekhyun said honestly. There was anger in his tone, but he kept it at a minimum.

 

"I thought you said Woohyun played people." The light haired man said. Woohyun blinked, realizing that Baekhyun hadn't mentioned anything of Woohyun pinning after people.

 

"Oh, yeah. Woohyun went around trying to seduce everyone with his charms. He hadn't gotten to Luhan while I was dating him, but I'm positive he went after him sometime later." Baekhyun said, as if his statement was an after thought. Sunggyu didn't respond.

 

"I…better go now. Thank you for the food." Baekhyun said, rushed. He stood up and caused his chair to scrape against the tiled floor nosily. A second later, Sunggyu stood up as well and pushed in his chair.

 

"Who is Xi Luhan to you?" Sunggyu asked, appearing next to Woohyun. The dark haired man felt his blood run cold as he looked into the eyes of the other man. Sunggyu's face was emotionless and pale. He looked like he was about to collapse onto the ground at any second. All this investigating and worrying must have took a toll on his physical strength. Woohyun opened his mouth to answer but Sunggyu cut him off.

 

"You know what? Not right now. I need some time to think."

 

Woohyun watched as the love of his life turned around and left Meok & Sam without another word. He sat back in his seat and stared at the ceiling above him. A sigh escaped his parted lips as he thought back to Luhan; the man who could have potentially saved him like Sunggyu had.

 

~~~~~~~

 

Boohyun and Sunggyu were sitting at the bar, talking about Woohyun and Baekhyun. This seemed to be dragging on and on and so far, they had gotten nowhere. Woohyun wished that this could all be over and Sunggyu could rest well again. He missed the times he spent with the light haired man, not caring about a thing.

 

"You three need to sit down and have a long talk." Boohyun sighed. Sunggyu had just finished explaining everything that happened in the past week. Woohyun peaked his head around the bend and caught a glimpse of Sunggyu resting his chin on his hands. He faced back against the wall and pulled out his phone.

 

Woohyun was at an angle that he could easily turn his phone to see their reflections without getting spotted, so he used it to his advantage. Coming out would interrupt their talk and Sunggyu would most likely leave soon after. If this were the only way to see him after a full week, then Woohyun would take the opportunity any day.

 

"You know, you were his rising sun." Boohyun said, leaning back in his chair. Sunggyu looked up at his nonchalant expression with surprise.

 

"How do you know about that horoscope?" He asked, straightening his posture. Boohyun's eyes flickered up to meet his. "It said that I would meet a person who shined brighter than the sun." Sunggyu said, digging through his brain to remember the exact words.

 

"You know of the tarot card readings, then." Boohyun said. Sunggyu tilted his head to the side. Woohyun adjusted the angle of his phone in order to see Sunggyu's face clearly. What were they talking about? Horoscopes? At a time like this?

 

"Woohyun is my red rising sun." The light haired man said after a while. Woohyun blinked. Was it a coincidence that he knew of the sun thing? Suddenly, Sunggyu's face expressed pain and he looked down at the counter. "But so is Baekhyun."

 

 

~~~~~~~~~

 

I'm sorry for not updating in a whole week! I'm finally on summer break so I can update more freely now. Waaaah I'm going to stay up all night to watch Infinite's 5th ani live chat. Happy 5 years with Infinite guys!