4/28

Our Sound

Woohyun looked at his watch. It was nearing 5:30 PM on April 28th. He had been sitting on his bed waiting for almost two hours now, waiting until it was time to head to Sunggyu's birthday party. He had sent texts out to Woohyun and a couple of friends three days ago and mentioned not to bring presents. Of course, Woohyun bought one anyway. Woohyun remembered how Sunggyu had bought him a sweater for Christmas and knew that he needed to repay him. He had spent the whole day looking around the mall for something that would suit Sunggyu's tastes today. Now here he was, sitting on his bed with the small gift box wrapped expertly, waiting until it was time to depart to the address sent in the text.

 

Woohyun flipped the box around in his hands with a bored expression, listening to the slight jingle of metal hitting the sides of the container. Boohyun popped his head through in the door and smiled at his impatient younger brother.

 

"Should we get going?" He asked, pushing the door open wider to step into the small room. Woohyun looked up at him before checking his wristwatch again. With the helpful hand from Boohyun, Woohyun pulled himself off the bed and straightened his shirt.

 

"Yeah." He said, picking a jacket off the rack of clothes in the corner of the room. Boohyun eyed the small green box in his hand and hummed.

 

"Didn't Sunggyu say not to buy presents?" He asked, smiling. Woohyun gave him a look as he walked passed him and out of the room.

 

"But that didn't stop you, either, did it?" He remarked, knowing his brother too well. Boohyun laughed behind him and took something out of his pocket. It was a much bigger box than Woohyun's was and it was wrapped in pastel blue.

 

"New iPod." Boohyun said, reading Woohyun's questioning gaze at the case. "It's small enough to clip onto your shirt and holds a lot of songs." He explained. Woohyun nodded, knowing that his brother had made a good choice of present since Sunggyu loved music. His present, on the other hand, wasn't something that fit Sunggyu's interests, well, at least interests that Woohyun knew of.

 

As if reading doubtful his mind, Boohyun smiled and pat Woohyun on the shoulder. "Don't worry, I'm sure he'll like it." Woohyun offered a grin and the two brothers exited their house, locking the front door and making sure the open sign in the window was off.

 

They loaded into Boohyun's small black car and drove out, checking the GPS on Woohyun's phone every so often to see if they were going in the right direction. Neither of them had been to the place of the birthday party before. How could they have, seeing as how it was one of the most expensive restaurants in the area.

 

Upon reaching their destination, a tall, round, light grey building, the Nam brother's sent in a text, announcing their presence to Sunggyu and his family. Sunggyu replied almost immediately, stating that he was already waiting inside. Woohyun glanced at the clock in the upper hand corner of his screen and felt somewhat accomplished to get there with lots of time to spare. The two exited the parked car and strode into the building.

 

As the sliding doors opened, Woohyun was amazed at how bright and fancy the interior was compared to the exterior of the restaurant. It was almost as if it was trying to keep itself a secret from the outside world. He walked further in to the front desk; present in hand, and examined the large dining hall peaked out from behind the textured glass walls. Boohyun spoke with a lady in front as Woohyun continued to ogle at the expensive décor. Expensive could have possibly been an understatement. Priceless, Woohyun decided fit better once his eyes traveled to an ornate table with a European styled vase on top. His gaze traveled up once he noticed a staircase on one side of the entrance. His eyes couldn't help but widen at how surprisingly high the ceiling was. Even for a two-story restaurant, a ceiling that high was oddly unnecessarily.

 

A soft whistle from Boohyun caught Woohyun's attention again and the two began to follow a waitress down the long isles of tables. There were dozens of parties filling up nearly every table in view. Woohyun felt his persona kick in as his lips contoured into a frown from the sight of all those guests. It made his queasy. Suddenly, a bright blue glow hit his face and he looked forward, away from the crowd of happily chatting people.

 

"Wow." Woohyun mumbled in awe as his eyes landed on the biggest fish tank he had ever seen. He had been to the Seoul aquarium a couple of times and knew for a fact that even their best exhibit couldn't outshine the one standing in front of him. It was round and stretched from the ground to the ceiling. So that's why the ceiling was so tall, Woohyun thought. It ran through the middle of the room and was probably big enough to fit a whole whale in. Just how high class was this place?

 

The waitress led them to a large table on one end of the tank, close enough to touch it. Sunggyu looked up at just the right moment to make eye contact with Woohyun. He stood up from his chair and smiled, welcoming his boyfriend over to the free seat next to him. The dark haired man bit his lip to refrain from smiling too widely as he approached Sunggyu. The birthday boy was wearing normal clothes despite how fancy the restaurant was but had styled his hair into a messy up do. Just that little detail rendered Woohyun speechless. Sunggyu didn't say anything either and could only smile, happy that his boyfriend arrived early.

 

"Happy birthday, Gyu." Boohyun chuckled, as the two lovebirds were busy checking each other out and didn't bother saying their greetings out loud. Sunggyu snapped his gaze from Woohyun's warm eyes and looked over to Boohyun, who held up a tiny box. His smile faltered slightly.

 

"Didn't I say not to buy me presents?" Sunggyu sighed, making Boohyun laugh. "Why does no one listen to me?" He went on, motioning across the table, where five other boxes, big and small, were placed. Woohyun looked down at his own gift, still in his hands, and sighed. Of course he wouldn't be the only one who bought a present for Sunggyu. It almost felt disappointing.

 

"Well, aren't you going to say something?" Boohyun nudged Woohyun, who was busy sulking. The dark haired man came back to reality and slipped the green box into his jacket pocket, facing Sunggyu with a slight grin.

 

"Happy birthday, Sunggyu." He said, taking his boyfriend's hands in his and squeezing softly. Sunggyu returned his grin and thanked him. Suddenly, a chill ran down Woohyun's spine and he turned to his left, meeting the deathly cold glare of someone he hadn't realized was sitting at the table the whole time. Once Baekhyun noticed he caught Woohyun's eyes, he glared harder, as if that would intimidate Woohyun enough to let go of Sunggyu's hands.

 

"Um…" The light haired man's voice came. Woohyun and Baekhyun turned to look at Sunggyu, who had a questioning expression on. "Baekhyunnie, are you okay?" He asked, pulling his hands from Woohyun's grip. The dark haired man stiffened at the nickname. Baekhyunnie? Sunggyu wasn't one to call people by nicknames, so why was that swan an exception?

 

"No, it's nothing." Baekhyun smiled innocently before turning to Heechul, who had also been sitting at the table the whole time. Woohyun hadn't noticed their presence – along with the rest of the Kims – because he was immediately drawn to Sunggyu's side. The light haired man nodded slowly before facing Woohyun again, eyebrows raised.

 

"Yeah, it's probably nothing." Woohyun chimed, tearing his gaze from Baekhyun's side profile. Sunggyu was about to pry further but bit down on his tongue by accident and yelped in pain. Woohyun reached over and pat his shoulder comfortingly as Sunggyu instinctively raised a hand to his mouth.

 

"Look at you, getting hurt on your birthday." Mrs. Kim chided from the other end of the table. Sunggyu opened his eyes he had closed in shock and sent her a look, still seething in pain. Woohyun pulled his worried gaze from Sunggyu to look at Mrs. Kim, greeting her for the first time that night. As he returned his gaze to his hurting boyfriend, his eyes crossed over Baekhyun's face. He looked extremely worried, almost as if he was ready to jump out of his seat to comfort Sunggyu. But that was normal, right? For friends to be worried about each other, that is.

 

Sunggyu, after the pain started to cool down, waved a hand around, asking his friends and family to dismiss him. "Let's just go eat." He said. Dongwoo and Myungsoo nearly raced out of their seats the second after Sunggyu spoke but Mr. Kim cleared his throat right before they could do so.

 

"We're still waiting on Jaejoong, Hongbin, and that girl from your English class, though." Mrs. Kim said. "It would be rude to start without them." Sunggyu sighed and sank back in his chair, leaning his head on Woohyun's shoulder.

 

"I just got a text from Jaejae and Bora. They're here." Heechul spoke, looking up from his rather large phone. Woohyun recognized one of the names, Jaejoong, but had no clue whose name the other belonged to. As if reading his mind, Sunggyu whispered into his shirt.

 

"Bora is my friend from English class who helps me when you can't." He explained. Woohyun nodded in understanding. Sunggyu had a lot of friends, apparently. Just as he had said that, a waitress approached with the two who had arrived.

 

"Hey loser, happy birthday." One of them, a pretty girl with long black hair said in a snarky voice, pushing a card into Sunggyu's face. Despite her tone and words, Bora, Woohyun guessed, had a smile on her lips. Sunggyu sat up and accepted the card before greeting his friend.

 

"Glad you could make it, Grandma." He teased. Bora gasped and stared wide-eyed at Sunggyu. The boy that arrived with her, Jaejoong, let out a breathy laugh, as if these two always bickered like this.

 

"Excuse you. You are officially a year older than me, making you a Grandpa." Bora said sassily, flipping her hair. She turned to Woohyun and put on an innocent smile, like nothing ever happened. "So you're the Woohyun guy?" She asked. The dark haired man nodded slightly, not knowing how to respond in words. "I thought you were supposed to be a shrimp with a glare of ice."

 

Sunggyu inhaled sharply once Bora finished sounding her expectations. Woohyun gave his boyfriend a questioning look with a hint of anger. Sunggyu suddenly busted out laughing in a very awkward way. Bora raised her perfectly shaped eyebrow as Jaejoong turned away from the table, trying to contain his laughter. At this point, all conversations around the table had stopped and all eyes were on Sunggyu.

 

"You called me a shrimp with a glare of ice?" Woohyun said slowly, drawing out the word shrimp. Sunggyu's face turned red and he straightened his posture.

 

"W-what do you mean, Bora. I…I called him a…. pimp… with a glare… but nice." He said in a strange tone. Woohyun continued to stare at him, probably making Sunggyu feel even more uncomfortable. The light haired man finally sighed, realizing that he was fooling no one. "Okay, okay, I called you that. But geez, Bora, that was just between you and me." Sunggyu deadpanned. Woohyun couldn't help a grin form on his face. He wasn't in the least bit mad at Sunggyu for calling him that. In fact, he was more impressed at the lame save his boyfriend tried to come up with.

 

"You aren't mad, are you?" Sunggyu asked, turning to Woohyun with unintentional puppy eyes. The dark haired man had to look away before he could come up with an answer. An overwhelming urge to kiss Sunggyu's pouting lips arose in his stomach and he couldn't look at him for any longer.

 

"No…" He managed to croak. His throat had run dry without his knowledge. Sunggyu relaxed and rested himself on Woohyun's shoulder again. Bora let out a giggle and shook Jaejoong's arm.

 

"Look at how cute they are!" She squealed. Jaejoong, ignoring Bora's death grip on his numbing arm, smiled and agreed. His eyes traveled to Baekhyun, knowing what his expression must have looked like at that moment. Bora seemed to notice Baekhyun as well and laughed.

 

"I've always loved a good love triangle! I wish boys did that over me." She said wistfully, flopping Jaejoong's hand around in the air. Woohyun and Sunggyu looked up at her, clueless as to what she meant by love triangle. Heechul sent her a warning glare from his seat and Bora seemed to freeze. "Was I not supposed to say that? Oops." She said before quickly moving to find a seat in the crowded table. Sunggyu blinked at Woohyun, wondering if he had any idea, to which Woohyun shrugged slightly.

 

"I'm here! I'm here." An orangey-brown haired man said as he neared them. Sunggyu looked up at the breathless man, who had stopped right in front of him. "I'm so sorry for being late. I missed the bus because I locked myself out of my house by accident." He said, moving to take something out of a paper bag he had brought.

 

"Don't worry. We weren't going to start until you got here but you are actually on time. Everyone else just got here early." Sunggyu's mother said. The man nodded and smiled, showing off his deep dimples in his cheeks. He bowed to Sunggyu and then he eyed Woohyun, who sat staring at him the whole time.

 

"Ah, you must be Woohyun the shri-…" He froze mid sentence. Woohyun raised an eyebrow at Sunggyu, who tried not to look perplexed. "I mean, Woohyun. I'm Hongbin."  The man said, trying to play off his slip up. Woohyun greeted him and Hongbin proceeded to find the last empty seat at the table after wishing Sunggyu a happy birthday.

 

"And just how many people have you told that I was a shrimp?" The dark haired man asked, staring down at his boyfriend's head that was resting on his arm. When Sunggyu didn't answer he sighed, disregarding it. Suddenly, Dongwoo clapped, jumping up from his chair.

 

"Everyone's here. We can eat now, right?" He asked, barely able to stand still. Sungyeol, who was being unusually quiet, finally broke and shot up as well. Mr. Kim sighed deeply before simply waving his hand. The two boys raced off in the fastest walk Woohyun had ever seen and disappeared around the bend of the fish tank.

 

"So what kind of restaurant is this? Why do we have to get up to get food?" Woohyun questioned, looking around as Bora, Hongbin, Heechul, and Sunggyu began to stand as well. The light haired man looked up in thought.

 

"Oh, maybe I forgot to mention it in the text. It's a buffet styled restaurant." He said, turning to Boohyun to see if he heard. Woohyun's brother was busy conversing with the adults so Sunggyu shrugged to himself, knowing that his parents would have informed him already. "Anyway, we should go. I'm hungry." Sunggyu hummed. The dark haired man stood up slowly, stretching his limbs before leading the way around the rows of tables to the buffet line.

 

Once the two arrived at the food, Heechul and Jaejoong had already filled up their plates with delicious dishes and were starting to make their second plates. Baekhyun was standing next to Bora and conversing lightly as they added different foods to their plates. He seemed to catch sight of Sunggyu and sent a bright smile his way, to which the light haired man reciprocated. Woohyun didn't feel jealous, but something deep inside of him knew something wasn't right with Baekhyun's friendliness towards his boyfriend.

 

They moved up through the long line and accidentally got separated due to the impatience of other guests. Woohyun finished plating his food first and waited at the extra utensil stand for Sunggyu to emerge. It took a couple of minutes before Sunggyu even came into view but Woohyun didn't mind. He wasn't feeling that hungry, especially because every dish on his plate looked more expensive than his own life. Suddenly, Baekhyun appeared next to Woohyun. They didn't say anything to each other at first, Baekhyun pretended to have trouble taking out a knife while Woohyun stared straight ahead, eyes never leaving Sunggyu's light brown hair in the crowd.

 

"I've heard a lot about you." Baekhyun said, still messing with the knives. Woohyun didn't take his eyes off of Sunggyu and kept his mouth glued shut. It wasn't that he was annoyed with Baekhyun, but a part of Woohyun wanted Baekhyun to leave him alone. Never the less, the boy didn't get the memo and continued.

 

"He's always talking about how you text him everyday before class starts, Sunggyu, I mean." When he got no response, Baekhyun decided to drop his passive act and turned to Woohyun. "You always greet him before anybody and always seem to hang out with him. I get that you are his boyfriend, but don't you have any other friends?" Baekhyun asked in a low voice, as if to hide their conversation under the noise of forks clacking and laughter echoing around the large dining hall. Woohyun chose to ignore most of what Baekhyun was spouting and instead followed Sunggyu's approaching figure with his eyes. But the last words the boy mumbled as he passed by left a chill to run down Woohyun's spine.

 

"Don't you think you're being too clingy?"

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

This will be a 2 part chapter since it's getting pretty long. Aaah Baekhyun, I'm sorry for turning you into this character. Idk, I'm not really a fan of Exo so I guess it's okay. Sorry for not updating as fast as I could have. I wanted to post this on Sunggyu's birthday but I couldn't find a place to break off in time.

 

Update:

Hey guys! Please answer this poll for me! I need reader participation for this so if you read my fic (no duh you do) then please help me!