6/3 Continued

Our Sound

"Sunggyu." Woohyun called again, taking a step closer to his protected boyfriend. Sunggyu looked up from his shoes and met eyes with Woohyun. He was hurting. Everything about his stare was filled with agony. Woohyun almost apologized on the spot, but for what? Something he didn't do?

 

"I don't think you should be here." Heechul said in a calm, yet alarmingly strict tone. Woohyun couldn't help but feel like the bad guy of the situation. Heechul gave Sunggyu's shoulder a squeeze and continued to watch Woohyun's reactions. The dark haired man knew Heechul was sly and quick to catch on; maybe he didn't quite believe Baekhyun's lies and wanted proof for himself. Heechul was definitely examining Woohyun's every expression change. 

 

Sunggyu continued to stare at his boyfriend. The look in his eyes made Woohyun want to lunge forward and snatch him into his arms and hide him from people like Baekhyun. 

 

"I will go, if that's what would be best for Sunggyu." Woohyun said softly. Baekhyun narrowed his eyes. "But let me tell you one thing... I would never hurt my rising sun." The unplanned words escaped his mouth before he could stop himself. Only Woohyun knew what it meant so it was a useless thing to say. 

 

Sunggyu's eyes seemed to widen and for a second there, it almost looked like he understood his reference. Baekhyun grumbled and took a step forward. 

 

"T-that's probably what you say to everybody." 

 

Woohyun stared blankly at the other man for a good moment before opening his mouth. 

 

"That reminds me, how did you know what I said to Sunggyu on that night?" Woohyun asked, genuinely confused. Baekhyun seemed taken aback, unsure of what to say. Then something clicked in Woohyun's mind and things started to piece together. "You know, I knew someone was watching us back when I have Sunggyu the ring. Weren't you also missing from the table at the time I went looking for him? Was that person perhaps...yo-"

 

Sunggyu cut off Woohyun's speech by suddenly taking his hand and dragging him into the campus. Heechul's gasp was audible as he watched Sunggyu pull Woohyun away in shock. Baekhyun had an uncharacteristic smirk on his lips as he watched the two grow further into the distance. 

 

Sunggyu pulled the dark haired man all the way to the back of one of the school buildings. He let go of Woohyun's hand and stepped into the shadow casted by the large trees surrounding them. They were silent for a long while. Sunggyu had kept his back to his boyfriend and had his head lowered. 

 

"Hey," Woohyun started, bringing his left hand up to Sunggyu's shoulder. Just as he was about to pat down on his skin after a moment of hesitation, the light haired whipped around and nearly made Woohyun stumble back in surprise. The pain in the man's eyes was worse up close and Woohyun almost had to look away.

 

"Do you think it's fun to toy with someone's feelings? Do you enjoy watching them slowly fall for you before pulling out after they give their everything to you?" Sunggyu asked with anger. Woohyun could only blink and Sunggyu scoffed, turning his head.

 

"He told me everything; about you, about what you do to people, about things I've never once thought someone so precious to me would do." Sunggyu muttered before biting his bottom lip so hard it turned white. Woohyun could tell he was holding in tears and he desperately wanted to fix everything at that moment. But how could he? Everything that Baekhyun fed him must have been convincing enough to sway Sunggyu's trust.

 

"I…" Woohyun started, thinking it was best to come out and deny it at first, "Over this past year, all I've thought about was you. I only met Baekhyun through you." Sunggyu met his eyes again and hope sparked in Woohyun's chest. Just as soon as it came, the hope vanished as Sunggyu gave him a menacing glare.

 

"Then what is this?" The light haired man lifted his promise ring up into the air. Woohyun spotted the engraved infinity sign and remembered what Jaejoong told him. "Baekhyun told me you pinned after him back in high school, giving him a ring like this and saying the same thing you told me on my birthday." Sunggyu spoke, words laced with venom. Woohyun felt his words slice through his heart, as he had treasured that moment at Sunggyu's birthday party when all his emotions were raw and pure.

 

Woohyun wanted to explain how he realized Baekhyun had vanished from the table after Sunggyu stomped off and how he felt someone watching them from around the corner as they embraced. But Sunggyu wouldn't have believed him at a time like this. It was too farfetched and convenient at that moment.

 

"Sunggyu, please believe me. Baekhyun is trying to pull us apart. He's been wary of me since the start and even your other friends have admitted to me that he likes you." Woohyun spoke quickly, as Sunggyu still looked as if he was about to cry. He tried to find his boyfriend's eyes but the other had his head down.

 

"I want to." Sunggyu mumbled, no louder than a whisper in the tense air around them. He looked up at Woohyun. "I want to believe you, but Baekhyun recited the exact thing you said to me, saying that he had heard it billions of times throughout his high school career. I…I just can't find it in myself to let this slide." Woohyun's throat tightened and he felt like he was chocking. Sunggyu looked so desperate and all he wanted to do was hug him. But alas, his body was frozen in place, unable to even lift his numbing hands.

 

"How can I prove it to you? I went to high school in America, that's how I speak English so well. Sunggyu, he's lying." Woohyun started to sound urgent as Sunggyu stared blankly at him. "Jaejoong doesn't believe him, either. And truthfully, I wouldn't have known about this if it wasn't for him texting me. Kim Sunggyu, you broke my walls down within months and I finally found happiness again. It's because of you that I am able to say this," Woohyun said, outstretching his arms to the other's quivering shoulders.

 

"Up until now and to forever, I will always love you."

 

There was a long silence. Woohyun stared at Sunggyu like his life depended on it. And to him, it did. Sunggyu stayed unmoving, even as Woohyun tightened his grip on his shoulders, giving them a light squeeze, hoping it would add to his point and reassure him. Sunggyu lifted his head and they locked gazes. Woohyun stared deep into the other's dark brown eyes with a sincere expression. Sunggyu opened his mouth slightly as if he wanted to say something, but quickly closed it. His features hardened and he shook himself out of his boyfriend's grip.

 

"You're lying." The light haired man said before pushing past Woohyun. The dark haired man spun on his heels and watched the love of his life walk back to his friends, back to Baekhyun. He had to stop him – he couldn't let it end here.

 

"Sunggyu, please. At least just hear me out." Woohyun begged, taking a step to the light haired man's retreating figure. Sunggyu paused and grounded his feet before turning his head to one side. Woohyun's gaze flickered down his side profile and landed on Sunggyu's lips.

 

"I don't want to be hurt anymore. Especially not by you." The light haired man said with a raspy voice before straightening himself and continuing to leave Woohyun. Sunggyu soon emerged from behind the building, stranding the dark haired man in the shadows.

 

 

~~~~~~~~

 

 

"Maybe this was it." Sunggyu read out loud the last words in the diary entry. Woohyun continued to sleep peacefully next to him, unaware of the overwhelming feelings rushing back into Sunggyu. It had been so long since then, but those strong emotions remained in the back of Sunggyu's mind.

 

The clock behind the light haired man shined 4:12 AM. He had been reading Woohyun's secret diary for an hour now. His eyes were straining to read the words scribbled in dark ink but Sunggyu couldn't just stop there. This was a really big part of their relationship and even though it pained him to remember it, he couldn't just let it fade into the past.

 

Sunggyu flipped the page and nearly gasped loud enough to wake Woohyun up. The next three, no, four pages were blank. Upon closer inspection in the dim light, Sunggyu could see where the light blue lines imprinted on the paper wavered off or smudged. Was it water drops that caused the lines to disappear? The light haired man swept his thumb over the pages and felt the indents. They were indeed left by water droplets.

 

Sunggyu lifted his head off of his pillow to stare at Woohyun's toned back. The moonlight from the window accented the shape of his muscles and Sunggyu almost forgot why he was looking at him in the first place. Woohyun, who slept every night without a shirt on, had four blank pages in his diary filled with drops of water scattered around the surface. Sunggyu could hardly believe that someone like that had actually cried onto not one, but four pages.

 

The light haired man wasn't stupid. The dried stains were obviously tears. And how long it spanned said a lot about how the Woohyun two years ago felt about the current issue in the diary. Sunggyu almost shook his lover awake just to hug him. Instead, since he knew that there would be more entries about their almost breakup and he was still feeling those mixed emotions, Sunggyu leaned over and pecked the back of Woohyun's head.

 

Feeling a little bit better, reassured by the fact that he wasn't sleeping alone in the bed or with another man, Sunggyu readjusted his head back onto his pillow and let the light of the clock carry him back down memory lane.

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~

 

Present Sunggyu reappearance and mentioning of bare torso Woohyun are my favorite things to write about. If only Sunggyu at the time of the mishap would know where he would end up in the future - laying in bed with Woohyun. Hehehe~ ^^