3/3

Our Sound

Woohyun hadn't seen Sunggyu since the Nell concert and he was slowly dying. Boohyun had asked him to cover as the head chef at Meok & Sam for the week as he went on a business trip to Japan. Like the good younger brother he was, Woohyun agreed without questioning as to why Boohyun needed to go to Japan. And he regretted every second of his decision. College was starting to pile up on him during the first half of the day as well, giving him even less time to text Sunggyu a simple good morning.

 

One evening shift, the doors to Meok & Sam slammed open and a bunch of footsteps could be heard shuffling into the warm building. Woohyun walked out of the kitchen curiously, flinging a white neck towel over his shoulder as he passed the bar. There wasn't enough staff to take orders and work in the back so Woohyun had assumed his job as a waiter as well. To his surprise, eight familiar pairs of eyes landed on him as he made his way to the front of the restaurant.

 

"Sunggyu." Woohyun breathed out with a smile ever so slightly grazing his lips. Luckily, the store was nearly empty due to the late hour of the night and the dark haired man was able to head straight for his boyfriend without bumping into anyone. Sunggyu let out a chuckle as his gaze rose a little higher than Woohyun's head. Woohyun peaked up through his side swept bangs but couldn't find anything out of the ordinary above him. For some reason, Woohyun noticed, Sunggyu's eyes would travel to his lips when he spoke and then would follow an invisible object into the air.

 

"What are you doing?" Sunggyu asked with his gaze focused on Woohyun again. He had a questioning expression on and the dark haired man suddenly felt silly.

 

"Nothing." Woohyun replied, waving it off. Only then did he remember that there were other people standing around them. "Oh, hello, Kims." He greeted, turning to Mr. and Mrs. Kim. They both smiled warmly at him as he stepped aside to let them pass. Woohyun nodded to each of Sunggyu's brothers as they passed, too. He grabbed a handful of menus and led them to a wide table near the bar where he could see them from his spot in the kitchen. As they got seated, Woohyun walked around to his boyfriend's chair and slightly pulled it out for him.

 

"Thanks, Woohyun." Sunggyu said shyly before lowering his gaze to the menu in front of him. The dark haired man gave him a quick pat on the shoulder before going to fetch water. Normally, he wouldn't even think of doing something so cliché and gentlemanly for Sunggyu but he needed to show just how much he missed him. Straight out saying it with the family around would lead to awkwardness and a whole lot of teasing from the younger brothers. As he arrived back at the table with the drinks, he noticed Sungyeol repeatedly poking Sunggyu in his side and laughing.

 

Oh no.

 

"Ah, he's here again! Shut up!" Sungjong whispered loudly to Sungyeol, who immediately retracted his hand from his oldest brother's side. Dongwoo broke out into a fit of giggles from the other side of the table as Woohyun approached. The dark haired man looked apprehensively at Sunggyu until they made eye contact. Sunggyu hid his slightly flushed face under his hair and turned away sharply. Myungsoo looked up from the menu he had been staring at for the last couple of minutes to relay pieces of information to the confused waiter.

 

"Just earlier, in the car, mom was going on about how sweet you act to Sunggyu and how you two are 'madly in love'. Sunggyu kept denying it and said you guys still act as friends but then we walked into the restaurant and the first thing you guys did was lock eyes." The young man explained before focusing on the menu again, debating whether to get the barbeque chicken wings or the deep-fried kimbap.

 

Woohyun felt his face grow hot and tingly at the teasing looks he was getting from the Kims. Madly in love?

 

"Uh, I'll, um…" He stuttered as he went around the table setting down the drinks. Everywhere he went, their eyes trailed him and it gave him the creeps. Mrs. Kim laughed heartily as Woohyun stepped behind her seat to place the water next to her.

 

"Don't worry, we find it cute." She said, giving him a wink as he turned to set his empty tray down. Woohyun felt his stomach flip in embarrassment as he returned with a notepad and pen; he had made up his mind to act carefully but also affectionately to Sunggyu when his family was over. He gave them a little time to decide on their meals because it had been so long since they last visited. He s through the nearby empty tables to Sunggyu's side and lightly rested his elbows on his head.

 

"So, what can I get you guys? Family style or individual?" Woohyun asked, tapping the end of his pen on Sunggyu's forehead. His boyfriend scoffed and swatted his arms away before ordering for his family. Myungsoo piped up that he wanted two orders of deep-fried kimbap and one barbeque chicken, to which Mr. Kim glared at him for.

 

"Okay, one kimbap and one chicken." Myungsoo agreed with a pout. Sungyeol started listing off a bunch of dishes that Meok & Sam didn't even serve and Woohyun briefly wondered what he did in his past life that led him to this fate.

 

"Oh hush!" Mrs. Kim scowled at her sons before offering a sympathetic smile to the waiter. "We'll just go with what Sunggyu had ordered. And Myungsoo." She added in when the second youngest made a begrudging noise. Woohyun nodded and quickly finished writing down their order before spinning on his heels and heading to the kitchen.

 

After serving their meals to the table, Woohyun stripped of his waist apron and hung it up in the back. The Kims were the last guests in the restaurant, as it was nearing the time of closing. Woohyun had dismissed the rest of the workers for the day and turned off the flashing neon sign in the window before walking over to the table. The Kims were boisterous and he was glad they came at such an hour; otherwise he would be forced to ask them to leave.

 

"Is everything tasting okay? Boohyun is in Japan right now so he left the cooking up to me and the staff." Woohyun said, stopping near Dongwoo, who was in the middle of sneaking some of the kalbi off of Sungjong's plate. The Kims nodded in unison and tossed out a couple of compliments between mouthfuls of food.

 

"I didn't know you cooked so well." Mrs. Kim said and her husband nodded in agreement. Woohyun let a grin slip across his face.

 

"I was practically raised in this restaurant. It's no surprise I can find my way around cooking, really." He admitted modestly. Sunggyu had a look of awe on his face that matched two of his brother's faces.

 

"Wow." Howon said, speaking for the first time that night, "We can't even cook rice correctly." Sungyeol slapped him on his bicep and snarled.

 

"Maybe you can't, but I can." Howon raised an eyebrow.

 

"Really now? Because I've never once seen you in the kitchen, much less look at a rice cooker." He said smartly. Sunggyu sighed loudly once the two boys started a bickering session as if he had already been through one of them that day.

 

"I'll be cleaning up the kitchen so call me when you want something." Woohyun said, not wanting to be there any longer. Sunggyu stared at his retreating figure, losing all hope that he would do something to stop his brothers. Woohyun could almost hear his boyfriend screaming 'traitor' in his mind and let out a smirk.

 

As he wiped down a countertop, Woohyun heard someone's chair scrape the tiled floor and he looked up. Sunggyu walked over with tired expression etched onto his normally carefree features. Wordlessly, he slumped down on a seat at the bar and followed Woohyun with his eyes.

 

"Too much noise?" The dark haired man guessed, wringing out the damp towel in the sink closest to the bar. Sunggyu nodded and sighed again.

 

"I actually wanted to visit you by myself but Myungsoo saw me leaving and brought the whole family along. Sorry if we drove out your customers by the way." He said, resting his chin on his hand. Woohyun felt something bubble in happiness inside of him as he folded the cloth and placed it neatly on the counter.

 

"I haven't seen you for a while. Even though we aren't alone, it's still nice to be with you." The dark haired man admitted, picking up a couple of dirty dishes from behind the counter. Sunggyu sharply turned to look at his family behind him before getting up from his chair and making his way into the kitchen. Woohyun jumped slightly as Sunggyu appeared right next to him at the sink.

 

"No, you go eat." He protested; pulling the sponge Sunggyu had picked up out of his hands. The light haired man frowned and pulled it back into his grip. Woohyun unintentionally glared at him and made a grab for the sponge again. Sunggyu pulled back just in time to get caught on the wrist but the force that Woohyun intended to bring back the sponge dragged him forward.

 

Woohyun let out a breath as he locked eyes with Sunggyu, whose face was a couple of centimeters from his. He felt the other's arm tense in his tight grip but he couldn't move. Sunggyu accidentally let the sponge fall out of his grasp and it hit the floor with a splat, water and soap flying in all directions. It was dead silent other than the occasional laughter from the occupied table on the other side of the kitchen wall.

 

Sunggyu slowly lowered his arm until it hung loosely at his side, Woohyun's grip still on his wrist. The dark haired man's eyes slipped off of Sunggyu's and trailed down his nose to his slightly parted lips. He felt his heartbeat speed up with their proximity and Sunggyu's fiery gaze never leaving his eyes.

 

Sunggyu was the first to move. He closed his eyes and leaned in closer with such gradual movement it made Woohyun dizzy with anticipation. Their lips were only a millimeter apart and Woohyun could feel the slight brush of Sunggyu's bottom lip on his and it sent tingles up his spine. They were going to have their second kiss in his brother's kitchen but that didn't make the moment any less special.

 

"Hey! What are you guys doing in there?!" Sungyeol shouted from just outside of the bar. Woohyun immediately pulled back and they spaced themselves out around the kitchen. Sunggyu sighed audibly and picked up the sponge reluctantly as Woohyun picked up where he left off of cleaning. The dark haired man huffed and held back the urge to slam his fist into Sungyeol's face for interrupting their almost kiss.

 

"I'll just…go back then." Sunggyu said after a while, voice hoarse. Woohyun didn't look up from the dish he was currently scrubbing violently and nodded. A couple of seconds passed after the sound of defeated footsteps left the room before Woohyun turned the hot water off and covered his face with his wet hands.

 

"Nnnnnn!" He mumbled into his palms with utmost annoyance before sighing loudly. What a way for the moment to end.