6/24

Our Sound

Woohyun needed to hurry; Sunggyu had texted him in the middle of the night, telling him to get to the Kim's mansion as quick as possible. The dark haired man didn't wait for any further details before he sprinted out of Meok & Sam and onto the chilly streets of Soyu.

 

The air was damp with rain, but Woohyun couldn't care less. The buses had stopped running for the day and so had the trains, leaving the man with no other option but to run all the way to the Kim's mansion. It wasn't extremely far, but it posed as a inconvenience to both parties, as Sunggyu texted him to hurry up when Woohyun didn't show up after 10 minutes. By the time the dark haired man turned his fourth corner, Sunggyu's college gates came into view, serving as a waypoint in Woohyun's midnight exercise. 

 

Half an hour later, the dark haired man slumped onto the Kim's doorsteps with sweat dripping down his cheeks, leaving behind salty trails to cool his skin. After taking a minute to catch his breath, Woohyun got up to ring the doorbell, but realized at the last second that it would be inconsiderate to ring at this hour of the night. Instead, he rummaged through his pockets for his phone and dialed Sunggyu's number.

 

Within seconds, a hushed voice called out his name through the line and beckoned him to enter. Surprisingly, the front door was unlocked, and Woohyun let himself in as quietly as he could. Even though Sunggyu seemed to be up and kicking at this late at night, Mr. and Mrs. Kim probably weren't. The house was dark, nearly pitch black, but Woohyun had been running in the dark streets for almost an hour now that his eyes didn't need much adjusting. Since the first floor seemed devoid of life, Woohyun made his way up the spiral staircase and through the hall he came to recognize well. There, he found a light on inside Sunggyu's closed room.

 

"Sunggyu." He called from outside before slowly opening the door. The sudden brightness of the room flooded his vision and he instinctively stepped back into the shadowy hallway. There was the sound of footsteps before Sunggyu's head appeared from the brightly lit room.

 

"Woohyun, you're here." He said, as if his presence soothed him. The dark haired man pulled him in for a hug, resting his sweaty head on his shoulder. "There's no time for this. Hurry, Woohyun, there is someone I want you to meet."

 

Sunggyu said, pulling away from the hug and dragging Woohyun into his room. There was another person in Sunggyu's room? Should Woohyun be feeling jealous at this thought?

 

On Sunggyu's bed sat a man no older than Woohyun. Actually, he very well could be the same age as Woohyun. Something about this man struck Woohyun as oddly familiar and he couldn't shake the feeling as if he knew who he was. As his eyes adjusted to the light, the dark haired man examined the unknown man closely.

 

He had a long, narrow face with prominent cheek bones. His hair was long in the front and fell over his deep brown eyes in a ragged, but also charming fashion. He had this air to him, as if he were a prince from a far away land. What caught Woohyun's attention was how uncanny his appearance was to a certain Swan.

 

The man seemed to notice him as he entered the room, as his mouth opened for a low gasp. Sunggyu led Woohyun over to sit on a chair that was stationed next to the bed—probably where Sunggyu had been sitting moments earlier. Wordlessly, Woohyun rested his tired body on the back of the chair, keeping strong eye contact with the man sitting on the bed's edge.

 

"Woohyun, this is Baekbeom." Sunggyu announced, waving a careless hand between the two.

 

"Baekbeom..." Woohyun repeated dryly. "Baek...." Suddenly, the dark haired man felt a stab of pain rush through his veins. His gaze faltered from the man and landed on his lap. Baekbeom, how could he forget? Nearly lost memories from his distant past darted through his brain, resulting in a mild headache.

 

"Hey, Woohyun." Baekbeom said, his voice hoarse. There was a pause in the conversation and silence fell upon the room. The two men avoided eye contact as they sat, reminiscing of their childhoods. Sunggyu blinked and shifted on his feet, probably uneasy due to the solemn atmosphere. It was if they were communicating telepathically, as they both let out sighs at the same time.

 

"Does someone want to explain to me what's going on?" Sunggyu asked, completely out of the loop.

 

"It's been a long time since I last saw you." Woohyun said, his face stoic yet his eyes were filled with emotion. "How have you been?" It felt like a dumb question to ask since the last time they met, things between them weren't the best. But that had been years ago.

 

"Not so great, to be completely honest, but that's why I'm here." Baekbeom said. Sunggyu gently tapped Woohyun on the shoulder, causing the dark haired man to turn his attention to his boyfriend.

 

"Hm?" He hummed. Sunggyu's eyes were wide and his face clueless. "What?" Woohyun urged, somehow causing the light haired man to bite his lip.

 

"No, it's just, your voice got brighter just then."

 

Woohyun tilted his head to the side. "You mean my red voice? How did it get brighter?" Sunggyu shrugged and looked to Baekbeom, who was watching them with interest.

 

"It was just for a moment—when you asked how he was doing. You must have let out a lot of emotion." He said, scratching his cheek as he thought. Woohyun nodded slowly before turning back to Baekbeom. To his surprise, Baekbeom had sadness written all over his expression. The dark haired man was almost afraid to ask why he was told to rush to the mansion. There could only be one reason why Baekbeom was sitting on Sunggyu's bed with a sad smile playing on his handsome features. He knew something they didn't.

 

"So," Baekbeom started, gaining Sunggyu's attention as well. "I have a few things to tell you two." He said, pausing to fiddle his thumbs. The light haired man pulled up a chair and sat next to Woohyun; his proximity was not as close as Woohyun would have liked, as there was nearly a foot in between them, but did nothing. Baekbeom looked as if he was preparing himself to confess to a crime with the way he hung his head, averting his eyes from the two men.

 

"First thing's first, to fill Woohyun in… I'm Byun Baekhyun's younger brother."

 

Woohyun felt his heart skip a beat as his mind processed this information. Sunggyu sat back in his chair, as he probably had already heard a few things from Baekbeom before Woohyun arrived. The dark haired man's gaze followed Baekbeom's slouching figure as his mind whirled into action.

 

If Baekhyun was Baekbeom's older brother, then Baekhyun really wasn't the name of that guy. Woohyun couldn't believe he had forgotten—or maybe he had just suppressed the memories well enough to forget—that Baekbeom was that boy. Baekbeom was Luhan's best friend. Baekbeom had had a crush on Chanyeol. Not Baekhyun. Woohyun had been right to question if Baekhyun really was that boy from back then, but that still didn't answer much.

 

"Why would Baekhyun pretend he was you?"

 

Baekbeom sighed and looked up to meet Woohyun's eyes. Sunggyu leaned forward in his chair and rested his elbows on his knees, clasping his hands together. Maybe this was all he had gotten to say to Sunggyu before Woohyun arrived.

 

"Baekhyun had always been protective over me, ever since I can remember, actually. He would always put me before himself. I could tell him everything about my life without getting judged." Baekbeom started, looking deep into Woohyun's eyes. "I told him about you and Chanyeol. At that time, he couldn't do much to help what was going on, so I told a few of my friends." He looked perplexed.

 

"I couldn't stop what was happening to you and Chanyeol." Baekbeom paused, blinking a couple of times. Woohyun traced the inside of his cheek with his tongue, remembering all the suffering he had went through in elementary school. Sunggyu remained quiet and attentive through the tense atmosphere. Woohyun could see his worried face from the corner of his eyes.

 

"After we graduated elementary school, I thought that was it. No more Woohyun. But then, one random day in my senior year of high school, there appears Nam Woohyun. I thought, maybe if I just avoid him nothing bad could happen. I went on to make a really good friend, Luhan." Baekbeom shifted on the bed, bringing his legs into his chest. He looked so pathetic at that moment.

 

"When I stole Luhan away, you told Baekhyun, correct?" Woohyun asked. When Baekbeom nodded, he continued. "And since he was in college, he couldn't do much to help, again. But he remembered. He remembered everything you told him. And when the time came that he met Sunggyu and fell in love, he remembered my name and what I did to you, his beloved younger brother."

 

Baekbeom nodded again. Sunggyu sat up, shocked speechless. The pieces were coming together now. It was never about getting Sunggyu for himself, well, maybe a little bit of it was, it was about getting revenge on the man who hurt Baekbeom since the early stages of his life.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~

Heeeeey guys! I haven't updated for like, two months? Sorry, I reached an all-time low in motivation to write this story. But hey! I'm back! I hope my writing sort of improved since last chapter, as I took a writing class for summer school.

Also, did you guys hear Bad? Oh my god I love the entire album!!!! Sunggyu....just....SUNGGYU