6/22

Our Sound

"Look, Sunggyu, I know you don't trust me, but I'm really not playing you." Woohyun sighed, balling his hands into fists. The light haired man bit at his bottom lip as he stared into Woohyun's eyes. "This ring – the promise ring – is the only one of its kind. I haven't even thought about finding someone to spend my life with until I met you." He said, using all of his soul to say those few words.

 

"What about Xi Luhan?" Sunggyu responded. He was trying to be level headed about the whole situation. Woohyun cringed at the mentioning of that man.

 

"He was in the past, and I never once thought of him as anything."

 

"Not even as a friend?" Sunggyu raised an eyebrow. Surely he must remember what Woohyun was like back when they first met. Did he really think that Woohyun would consider someone his friend?

 

"No." He said firmly, watching the light haired man's expression. He had to choose his words carefully. Sunggyu looked awful and if he made one more mistake, he was sure the other would break down. It had almost been a month of nothing but accusations and trying to solve their problems. Woohyun was beyond tired of waking up every morning with a heavy heart and no Sunggyu there to comfort him.

 

"I just…I really want to believe you, and part of me already does, but I don't want to be tricked by someone so important to me." Sunggyu said, tearing his gaze away to look at the ground. A calm breeze swept through their hair as they sat motionless on a park bench. It was warm out, but the seasons hardly began changing into the sweltering heat of the oncoming summer.

 

"Woohyun," Sunggyu said, wrapping his hands around Woohyun's, "I love you. I really love you, and that's why I need to be sure you aren't playing me." He voice was soft but firm. Woohyun nodded along, focusing on the pair of hands on his own. It was the most contact they had had in weeks and he cherished every passing second.

 

"I only love you and no one else." Woohyun confessed. It felt as if he had repeated those words over and over each time he had a chat with Sunggyu. He really meant it, but it seemed that Sunggyu couldn't just go off of that. Woohyun stopped paying attention to his facial expressions and must have let a smile slip over his lips because Sunggyu's expression soon matched with his. They sat there for a while, taking in the sun on their backs and the touches of their hands. It almost felt like they were back to normal again. That is, until Woohyun remembered something he had overheard a couple of days earlier.

 

"Hey, you know how you see color?" The dark haired man spoke. Sunggyu blinked at him so he continued. "I have a red voice, yeah? Is there…anyone else with a red voice that you know?" He spoke slowly and with caution. There was a pause and he sighed to himself. Maybe he was just being paranoid, but ever since he heard what Sunggyu had said on that day, he couldn't get the idea out of his head.

 

"Boohyun has a red voice, too." Sunggyu said simply. Woohyun thought for a moment but the answer didn't surprise him much.

 

"Anyone else? I'm guessing red voices run in the Nam family." He pried, hoping Sunggyu would crack. Woohyun didn't know if Sunggyu was hiding things from him or not, but he wanted to be sure of what he heard.

 

"Um, Baekhyun has a deep red voice. Sometimes it comes out more towards the black side than red, though." The light haired man mumbled, voice no louder than a whisper on the wind. Woohyun felt a shiver run down his spine at the thought of that swan having a similar colored voice to his. He wanted to be nothing like that guy.

 

"I see. And does different reds mean something? You explained to me that my red means amazing and good, right? Does a black-red voice mean something else?" Woohyun asked. He didn't understand much about synesthesia or how it worked for Sunggyu, but if what he was thinking made sense, then he was sure how to fix things. The other man thought for a while, lifting his gaze into the bright blue sky.

 

"Baekhyun's voice…along with being red and having all the same qualities as a red voice, he has the black tint to it. I've never seen black before so I can't tell you what it means. Why do you ask?"

 

Woohyun figured that he would have to spill it sometime or another. He sighed and his eyebrows pinched together. "I might have overheard your conversation with Boohyun the other day." He stated, watching for any signs of anger in the other. When he found none, he continued. "You said something about me being your red sun…and then you said the same about Baekhyun. I was just curious if the color of our reds would be different." He finished. Sunggyu showed no emotion as he fell into deep thought. The wind started to pick up and made the trees rustle around them.

 

"Thinking about it now, whenever black shows more than red in his voice, I feel nervous somehow, like a wave of uneasiness washes over me during those times. Do you think the black reflects what he's telling me? Like how your voice goes transparent when you lie."  

 

"It's a possibility, but you know your condition better than I do." Woohyun mused. This was an answer he didn't expect. Sunggyu shifted his weight and the bench let out a screech.

 

"Does black mean he's lying? If that's the case, then why is it only him?" The light haired man asked to no one in particular. The question loomed heavily in the air, unable to be answered. Woohyun unconsciously twirled his promise ring around his finger as a pause in the conversation occurred. There were so many unanswered questions that it drove Woohyun insane. He could only imagine what Sunggyu felt like.

 

"Do you think it'll be best if we just... broke up?" Woohyun asked without thinking. It had been a recurring thought, but he had never planned to bring it up. After realizing his mistake, the dark haired man visibly paled and his eyes shot up to look at Sunggyu. The other man was staring right back at him with the most horrified expression he had ever seen.

 

"I didn't mean that." Woohyun tried to say quickly. His voice cracked at the end as he lurched forward towards Sunggyu. His heartbeat picked up as he frantically racked his brain for something to say. Sunggyu looked him in the dead center of his eyes with so many emotions flowing through them at once that it made Woohyun dizzy.

 

"Even if I don't fully believe you yet, I'm not willing to let you go without a fight." Sunggyu stated. Woohyun froze as he processed his words. "What's up with you? First you tell me you love me, then you help me figure out something very important about my synesthesia, and now you talk about breaking up?"

 

Woohyun was at a loss. Even he didn't know what came over him. He wouldn't let Sunggyu go without a fight, either, so the statement sounded wrong even to his ears. Sunggyu almost looked offended that he would even suggest that.

 

"I'm sorry, I just don't want to cause you any more stress. I can see how tired you are from constantly worrying and it makes me feel like I really did something bad to you." Woohyun finally spoke. His voice was a little shaky, but Sunggyu understood well enough.

 

"I had a chat with Boohyun. He said you really did go to America and showed me his graduating certificate. He also said your final year of high school spent in Korea was almost exactly what you said." Sunggyu stated after a while. He must have wanted to change the subject. Woohyun felt himself calm down, realizing that Sunggyu was still fighting to solve their problems. It showed how no matter what; the light haired man would not give up. If their relationship were to continue after this, Woohyun knew for sure that he had chosen the right partner.

 

"However, we can't just blow off what Baekhyun said. He knew of Chanyeol and Luhan, meaning he isn't always lying to me. If we want to finish this, we need to use my condition to its full potential." Sunggyu said, scratching his head as he thought out loud.

 

"All right. Well, I better get back in time to help Boohyun with the lunch crowd." Woohyun said, standing up. Sunggyu followed suit and they said their goodbyes before parting.

 

As Woohyun walked back to Meok & Sam, he couldn't help but feel as if they were still missing something. Baekhyun wasn't his name... although his last name was Byun. At least now Sunggyu knew something more about his crazy condition. The thought of a black voice gave Woohyun an unnerving feeling, as if black meant something bad. It usually did, didn't it?

 

~~~~~~~~~

 

Hmmm how do you guys feel about an Infinite dating dim? Why am I asking? Because I'm making an interactive story where you basically romance the members... Welp, I hope you liked this chap. I get the feeling like it's getting boring to read, though, as this has been going on for 7ish chapters now, sorry. It'll be over soon and Woogyu will prevail! For now, this is all.