Chapter 26- Between You and Me

Yearning Love
Please log in to read the full chapter
- Myungsoo POV - 

I feel my stomach grumble and I look at my wrist watch and saw that it was already 9 pm. Damn no wonder my stomach is grumbling loudly I was too absorbed in buying and selling stocks in the stock market that I didn’t notice the time and with Sungyeol being on vacation no one is there to call me for dinner or force me to take a break. I took a deep sigh as I close my laptop and walk out of my office, let’s just say that I can’t really stay away from work at all for too long well Sungjun and Minsoo isn’t around so I don’t see any harm on it especially when I manage to earn a few thousands in just a few hours. 

I stretched my numb muscles as I then went out of my office the whole house was quiet and must I say feel empty.... The hallway is dimly lit and as I passed the living room it was dark but I was startled to see Sungjong sitting on the single seater chair with his feet up in the chair and he was hunched hugging his long legs as he watch as the snow slowly pile up on the garden. He has his head resting on his knees as he hug his leg like he was trying to warm himself up or keep the little warm he has. 

I see him glance at the clock on the wall and hear him release a deep sigh, he then rest his head on his knees again. Seeing him like this is unusual, normally he isn’t this somber. Actually this is the first time I’ve seen him like this in the short time he has been living here and somehow truthfully speaking I don’t like seeing him looking like this, it doesn’t go well with his nature. I was about to walk towards him when I feel my phone vibrating and I pulled my phone out and see Sunggyu hyung message me. I opened the message he sent me and read it

“Won’t be bringing the kids home tonight so don’t wait anymore. It’s snowing heavily here in Busan, we’re staying at Lotte Hotel and Sungjun is already asleep so I decided to just come back tomorrow” 

I sent a quick message and I then pocketed my phone and walk towards Sungjong. Who was still looking all somber and as he heard my footsteps making him flinch and look at my direction and when he saw me I can see he calm down a little and put his feet down and he was about to stand up when I told him to just sit down and I also took a seat on the couch and he looked at me and I also stare at him straight in the eyes. 

Are you alright Sungjong? 

Sungjong- huh? 

He look up to me all perplexed with my question and I can see that he was deep in thought. 

You were looking all melancholic and withdrawn... 

Sungjong- oh don’t worry I’m fine... 

He trailed off but I can see he’s lying, I just stared at him knowing he’ll eventually tell me because no one can really keep something from me and when he looks up I can see he is started to crumble down and he I see him bit his lower lips and later on release yet another deep sigh I can see he was fumbling with his fingers as he then look back at me

Sungjong- uhm... I’m just... I don’t know why but I’m feeling rather empty, I feel like there’s something missing... And with the house being all quiet and eerie I feel even more down, but I think it’s just because I’m missing Sungjun. I... Would you think I’m weird if I tell you that I consider Sungjun as my own now? Uhm... I... 

Sungjong you’re rumbling. You keep on jumping to one subject to another. 

Sungjong- sorry... it’s just I don’t know...

Hey calm down, I think you’re right. It might be because you’re missing Sungjun, because this is the first time you’ve been separated from Sungjun this long and no I don’t think you are weird for considering Sungjun as your son. So calm down 

Sungjong- you don’t? But shouldn’t you? Because I’m getting too invested in this set up... I’m getting too used with Sungjun treating me as his umma when I’m not even related to you guys. 

You know you’re actually doing a better job as a parent compared to me.

Sungjong- I’m sorry I’m not trying to make you say those words it’s just that... 

I’m also not comparing us Sungjong. I’m trying to say is that one doesn’t need to be a real parent to be a parent. I mean anyone can be a parent to any kid it’s the feeling between you and that child. In your case it’s between you and Sungjun, you manage to create that bond with Sungjun which is why he thinks of you as his own parent figure. 

Sungjong- ...

He didn’t say anything but I can see he was trying to understand what I’m trying to say. 

Truthfully I’m thankful of you, don’t get me wrong at first I’m really doubtful of you and was cautious with this kind of situation but I know now that you  care for my sons without expecting anything in return and having you here with us would be a good thing for my sons not just for Sungjun but also for Minsoo. So I’m thankful that you are here. You’re showing and making my sons know what is a mothers love and warmth despite you being a male but it just shows that gender isn’t really a hindrance if it comes to nurturing a child. 

Sungjong- Myungsoo-ssi 

You’re just making me comprehend that even if you are a male if you truly want to stand in and fill that void space of your child life you can step it up and turn yourself not just their father but also their mother. And you also made me understand that my sons doesn’t just need a parent that would provide for them but they also need a friend, someone who they could talk to and play with, with you being here is making me realize that I’m lacking in a lot of aspects that I didn’t foresee. 

Sungjong- ... 

Don’t think you’re overstepping yourself because in all honestly I’m thankful towards you. Don’t think you are any less of a parent to Sungjun or Minsoo just because you are not related by blood because with what you are doing for them it seems like you deserve to have a children more than I do. 

Sungjong- you’re do deserve them Myungsoo-ssi it’s just as you said you’re lacking in some aspects that’s why you have an awkward relationship with your sons.

I don’t really see anything wrong with him thinking or treating my sons as his own, it’s a conflicting matter in fact. I don’t know if it’s okay to be this fine knowing that he treat my sons as his own but I also think it’s okay because at least my sons can have the warmth that I can’t give, well as of the moment that is but I hope in the future I can provide that warmth, show them how I truly cherish them make them understand my actions and decisions. Basically have them understand why I'm like this or why I had to be like this

With Sungjong appearing in our lives is like an eye opener for me. I knew that I was slowly losing my sons especially Minsoo but he made me realize that it’s not too late that there was still hope even though it’s just a glimmer of hope. He made me realize that Sungjun despite his mature way of thinking is still a five year old kid who needs my attention and affection. He made me understand that it’s not necessarily about what I can give them instead it’s about physically being there for them and with them. 

But I also know that there’s a risk with letting him as part of our lives, truthfully those risks are what’s making me think twice about this kind of settlement. What if the time that Sungjong decided that he wants to leave come? I can’t do anything to stop him even though it would shutter my sons heart. What if he thinks that everything is beyond fixable? If that’s the case then what should I do? Is it worth even risking for? Or should I save what little I have and protect my kids heart from being shuttered into pieces. 

Sungjong- Myungsoo-ssi? 

I look at him and see he was looking at me worriedly, I’m sure he’s worried that I’m offended with what he had said because I’m all silent. I look at him in the eye and I see nothing but sincerity in his eyes. He’s a really pure and kindhearted person, he might be part of those few and rare people that genuinely what nothing but to help others. Should I really trust him? Believe that he won’t hurt my sons in the future and wouldn’t betray us when the time comes. 

Sungjong- Myungsoo? 

Sorry I was lost in my own thoughts 

Sungjong- I’m sorry if... 

Don’t say sorry you didn’t say anything wrong. I was just too absorbed in my thoughts. You know Sungjong 

Sungjong- hmm? 

Had anyone told you that you have this effect that want to trust you? To believe you even though we don’t know each other full well. After succeeding my company I understood full well that people can be deceiving so I’ve learned to read people, to test people, and to never trust other than myself. Yet with you I don’t see the need to do so, I can see that you’re a good person but too good if I could be honest. I don’t know if I should be wary or just accept everything in strides. 

Sungjong- uhm... I... 

But you know behind of all my success it was because I listened to my gut. Idiotic I know but it’s what brought me where I am and truthfully right now my gut is tell me to trust you, to believe on you. I just hope doing so won’t bite me in the in the future. I think I should have said this before so this is long overdue but please take care of us Sungjong-ssi especially my sons because I can see that they are really enticed with you. Hopefully you aren’t like those people we have encountered in the past. 

I can see his eyes were watering, see he’s so kindhearted that those simple words touched him to the point he is teary eyed. He must really be part of those rare people that have a genuine heart. He was biting his lips and he was blinking his eyes a couple of times to hold his tears and when he got a hold of himself and his emotion he looks at me straight in the eyes, people looking at me straight in the eye are rare mostly would try to avoid my stare but I can see he was determined 

Sungjong- Please take care of me also Myungsoo-ssi and don’t worry hurting Sungjun and Minsoo would be the last thing I would want to happen. 

I really hope so Sungjong... 

He was about to say something when there was a loud rumble and I actually thought it was my forgotten grumbling stomach but he then instantly flushed red to the point that I think he will faint from the rush of blood. He was as red as tomato and I can already conclude that he wants to disappear from this embarrassing situation and seeing how animated he looks right now and how he is fidgeting before I could even compose myself another loud rumble was heard and I couldn’t hold myself as I burst into laughter. 

As he heard me laugh loudly I hear him groan and covered his face in embarrassment. Making me laugh even more, I don’t remember the last time I laugh this much to the point that my sides are aching. I coughed to sniffle my laughter and as I manage to collect myself I stood up I could hear him groaning and I shook my head. 

I guess it’s time for us to eat. Because if not I’m afraid of my safety. 

Sungjong- Myungsoo-ssi!! 

I’m actually also hungry. 

I said as I try to hold my laughter again, I heard him groan making me chuckle. He then stand up and head towards the dining room, I followed him and he opened the light of the dining room and I was about to take a seat on my usual chair when I see Sungjong walk further towards the kitchen. I decided to follow him and see he was pulling a few containers out of the refrigerator and I was about to help him when he close the refrigerator’s door using his backside. 

Do you need help? 

I didn’t miss the doubtful look he gave me the moment I asked him, he didn’t utter a word though and instead shook his head no. Well I’m sure he’s thinking that if I do help it would just prolong everything knowing that I know absolutely nothing in terms of cooking or even reheating food. I’m hopeless in this section I know that and I acknowledge that. All I know is how to eat food that’s all. 

Sungjong- just be a good boy and sit down and wait for me to finish reheating this

I pay no heed on him treating me like a kid and did as I was told and took a sit on the barstool at the kitchen counter, I watch him as he breezily move around the kitchen, putting one pot over the other as he transfer all the food he is heating up. After a few minutes he is then setting the plates and bowls as he then placed all the food he heated up and I see him wiping his hands with a towel as he then pull a barstool on the other side and took a seat right across me. He then look at me and hesitantly smiled at me 

Sungjong- I hope you don’t mind eating here because I really feel awkward eating at a big table when it’s only just the two of us around. 

It’s okay, this is the first time I’ve done this but like they say right theres always a first time for everyone.

Sungjong- lets eat

Yes because if not your stomach might rumble again

Sungjong- ugh come on stop bringing that up... Meanie 

I shook my head as I then pick up the chopsticks and started eating. From the corner of my eye I can see he had also started

Please log in to read the full chapter